Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing 8 year old female hoop dancer 8 year old female hoop dancer

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Pow Wow Mom

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BUTTERFLYMOM is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs up 8 year old female hoop dancer

Hello eveyone in Pow-Wow land,
I would like to announce that we have an 8 year old female hoop dancer on the east coast. Her name is Mayanna Richardson and she is a member of the Haliwa-Saponi Tribe located in North Carolina.Mayanna has always loved to watch the Hoop Dancers. She was running for the 2005-2006 Little Miss Pageant and was required to have a talent. Then one night at dance class, my cousin Waya Demalanta offered to teach her to Hoop Dance for her talent.She was so excited, that she practiced everyday up until the day of the pageant.The night of the pageant she was crown the new 2005-2006 Little Miss Guilford Natve . She now continues to the Hoop Dance at various Pow-Wows and performances.Her dad and I are very proud of her.If there are any female or male Hoop Dancers that can offer some encouragement please feel free to do so at any time.
BUTTERFLYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
Native Illuzionz-My Biz

canavajo is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 431.06
Talking Nice!!!

Is she learning how to make the worlds and go from an egg to larvae to an emerging butterfly? I use to compete at home with my cousins and thsy would get upset when I would listen to my Uncle at practice and do the steps for the first time with out dropping the hoops. I am not doing much hoops anymore but am a Fancy Shawl Dancer - Veteran. Would like to see a video of her? Take Care and Honor be with you, Leandra - aka CANAVAJO

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
canavajo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
Creative Native

Creative_Native is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats my girl

Maya... i just wanted to drop a note and let ya know that ya twin sister's mama is sooooo proud of you... love ya juicy

ohhhh and heres ya pics for all to see (little blurry)
Attached Thumbnails
100_1660-small-wince-.jpg   100_1659-small-wince-.jpg  
Creative_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Pow Wow Mom

BUTTERFLYMOM is an unknown quantity at this point
BUTTERFLYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Hoop Dancer

hoopster girl is infamous around these parts
I'm a hoop dancer/Fancy Shawl Dancer up in NY, well I'm currently at school in Oswego, NY. I'm 19 and I've been hooping since I was 15 I think? maybe 14. anyway, I lost track.
Here are some tips I picked up, hopefully they will help you a long the way.
1) Continue to watch other people hoop. there is an Eastern Hoop Dancing Championship in NJ labor day weekend. You can get ideas for you and your hoop outfit.
2) Be creative. Come up with tricks people haven't seen before. Come up with multiple rountines (like a short and a long routine) Esp. if you go to powwows with the same people, they are going to get bored watching you hoop time after time. (But they can also offer excellent advice because they know your rountine)
3) Keep practicing. It keeps you in shape. You can learn what your tempo is. and if you can change tempos. (I can really only hoop to one tempo, if it's too fast, or too slow, or the drum speeds up to early in the song it throws me off)
4) Dancing requires heart. Do it because you love to do it. It can make the difference between a good dancer and an excellent dancer. If you feel as if you shouldn't hoop, don't.
I guess a prime example of this was this past weekend. I needed to hoop to honor the person who taught me to hoop. It was the last powwow he's ever been to, his birthday weekend, and the powwow he never made it home from. I hadn't seen my hoops since I left for school, and the last time I danced was in August. so that gives about 3 months of little dancing and veggin out of College dining hall food. I meant to practice before the dance session but my stomach wouldn't allow it. I didn't feel right in my fancy outfit that evening, but decided I needed to hoop, and accordingly changed. That night I did the best hoop dance I have ever done. I can't explain it. My best friend said to me afterwards "That was the best hoop dance you have ever done, and I can't explain how you did it so well" I guess I believe it was a combination of heart and my teacher.
5) I suppose I should add this, for I get told this everytime. Don't make faces while you hoop. I aparently make faces when the globes don't work out or if I can't remember what to do or what not. Now I only make those faces when I'm in front of my friends. as soon as I turn around, they are gone.