Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By anishinabealltheway
  • 3 Post By ac_miss
  • 2 Post By Fang
  • 2 Post By anishinabealltheway
  • 2 Post By Eagle Plumes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Am I too old to learn? Am I too old to learn?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ipta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scale
Credits: 428.81
Savings: 0.00
Question Am I too old to learn?

Hello.
I'd just like to say, I'm new to this site, so please don't be offended if there's something I'm supposed to do before I ask a question. ((Sorry in advance if there is!!))

But I am really curious. I have always wanted to dance Fancy Shawl, however I've never had the support of my family to learn, and could never get an outfit. Plus, I fear I would mess up everything if I made one myself.

I am now a 19 year old in college, and would like to learn since I have the time to learn now that I am away from home. But a very deep fear of mine is that I'm too old to learn, and will make a fool of myself by attempting to dance.

My reason for this is...well, I miss home, and dancing has always been something I have loved to watch, and always wanted to do. I guess it's a way to take the reservation with me while I'm at college? Anyways...

Please help? I would be forever grateful to someone if they answered my question!
Ipta is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Grass Dancer

anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,258.05
Savings: 1.00
Never Too Old

19 is a great age to learn, but fancy shawl is a complex step so I recommend lots of practice. Getting an outfit may prove difficult if you cant sew and can be quite expensive even if you decide to make your own. When you're at a powwow some dancers will show you some moves if you ask nicely. I have little kids shadowing me at nearly every traditional pow wow I go to but there isn't much time at comps. Nobody wants to tire themselves out before their category is up. Best of luck!!
wardancer and Ipta like this.
anishinabealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Ipta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scale
Credits: 428.81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishinabealltheway View Post
19 is a great age to learn, but fancy shawl is a complex step so I recommend lots of practice. Getting an outfit may prove difficult if you cant sew and can be quite expensive even if you decide to make your own. When you're at a powwow some dancers will show you some moves if you ask nicely. I have little kids shadowing me at nearly every traditional pow wow I go to but there isn't much time at comps. Nobody wants to tire themselves out before their category is up. Best of luck!!
Thank you so much!
Ipta is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,676.58
Attend as much pow wows as you can, and watch some of the dancers. If you can't go to pow wows, there are Youtube videos to watch. Just practice, practice, practice in the comfort of your home until you feel you are ready to venture out.

Outfits can be costly, so start planning early!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 19,485.51
You're definitely not too old to learn! I have a strong believe that you're never too old to learn anything in life. There are a few girls in my area ranging from 26 to mid-30's who are just starting out with fancy. As long as your heart is in it and you continue to learn and practice, you'll be great.

As said previously, practice, practice practice! Youtube videos help a lot after the powwow season. I came across of a few videos of dancers who even did closeup vids of their legs so that you could get a clean view of their footwork without being distracted by their lovely regalia.

Aside from that, practice, exercise, and talk to other dancers in your area/tribe for tips.
windanncer and Ipta like this.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Grass Dancer

anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,258.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipta View Post
Thank you so much!
You're welcome!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Never to late, practice your moves, listen to some great jamz , think about your outfit it will come together. Most most of all enjoy yourself!