Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing fancy shawl footwork fancy shawl footwork

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
babybutterfly

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bbasi77@hotmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 200.00
Savings: 0.00
Question fancy shawl footwork

My daughter wants to learn how to fancy dance ol skool or new. She's 3 and i'm almost done regalia. I myself don't know how to dance the fancy or anythin for that matter. I was hoping someone could direct me to where I can learn so i can teach my daughter.
bbasi77@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
blkyakama

klotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond reputeklotasfeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 648.12
Go to a few PowWows and watch the dancers.
klotasfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,554.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotasfeather View Post
Go to a few PowWows and watch the dancers.
klotas,

This is the best advice you can give.

I don't fancy shawl dance either.

My little one is 2 years old. I just put her little shawl on, wind her up, and put her in the arena and she takes over from there!

She doesn't have the best rhythm yet, but it will come. I don't expect her to do any choreographed steps. I am mainly concerned that she has fun and get's comfortable in the powwow arena.

Last edited by WhoMe; 10-22-2008 at 03:23 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
I agree, with Klotas & Whome (especially about having fun) and at that young age they are not worried about image or "am I doing it right" so they get out there & just do it, they pick up what the bigger girls are doing to. It's a great age to learn.

One thing to add though. Make your own regalia (learn from more expierenced dancers all the teachings etc) & dance with your daughter. I always wonder about parents sitting on the side lines telling there kids to go dance while they sit their as$ in a chair. Not exactly teaching by example. You may not have the energy for Fancy Shawl, but you can still learn to dance with your child.

Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 10-24-2008 at 03:22 PM..
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Hey there,

Depending where you live, there are also powwow dance classes offered, through Head Start, and local inner city bands, and MFS might have some places for you to go. (metis Family services) They offer a community and support and many life-long freindships come out of classes like that!

LOL I agree with SuzzQ4 as well, lol, learning with your child. Youtube helps too. :D Lots of the real deadly dancers are on youtube. My personal favourite is Bobbi Lynn Pratt and Shirley Hill.

Cheers - J
fancy_shawls_225 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links