Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Fringe length Fringe length

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Fringe length

Hello y'all. I'm new to the boards, and have been dying to ask about shawl fringe length. I used to always go with the standard chainette length of 14", but have been noticing everyones fringes getting longer and longer. Some girls' fringe even touches the ground.

The last shawl I made I went with 18 inches, thinking it was long. But after seeing it in action it was only medium compared to others.

How long do you have your shawl fringe? And do you think fringe touching the ground is TOO long?
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2002, 08:42 PM   #2
Riverwoman

I have seen it all lengths. My fringe on my shawl set from fancy star is 22', though I suppose the shawl will be cut to match the length. Fringe touching the ground is a bit long, maybe a problem, it all depends on how you hold your shawl and things like that:)
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, 22"!! I guess I'll stay in the 18 - 20" range from now on.

If your fringe is ribbon, do you fray check or singe the ends? I like to singe, but then it gets the little burnt hard things sometimes that catch on the other ribbons and hangs up. I don't like the way fray check changes the color, though. Is there something else to do with the ends??
Old 06-26-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

ndngirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
I'm new to the boards too. :)
I've seen one lady's shawl that had a small zig-zag stitch sewn on the bottom of each ribbon. It still unraveled a little but only as far as the zig-zag stitch.
ndngirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2002, 04:54 PM   #5
Tiny tot mommy!

}!{ tinkerbell }!{ is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 70.00
Oh my!! Zig zag stithcing all of the ribbons!! That would take a long time! I usually just burn the ends of my ribbon. As for the length....I make them anywhere from 18"-22".
:Wave
}!{ tinkerbell }!{ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2002, 05:57 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll just keep burning.

By the way, have you seen Jackie Bird's multicolored fringes?? How in the world does she do that? Never mind, how does she make her shawls that shape!!

Check out her awesome outfits
http://www.outlawforpeace.com/jbird/designs/
and there's more hidden on different pages.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:19 PM   #7
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
It looks to me that Jackie paints her fringes. My past experiments with polyester ribbon and RIT dye were disappointing. That was before I learned that synthetic materials do not accept dye very well. Natural fabrics work best, i.e. cotton, wool, linen and silk.

I like 18" fringe on my shawls.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2002, 07:41 PM   #8
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
I always use Fray Check - never had a problem w/ it !
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2002, 10:26 PM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I bought a shawl from a girl who used clear nail polish on the ends of the ribbon so it wouldn't fray. As for the length I like the way the shawls spin when the fringe is long and shawl a little shorter than usual, like Crystal Cleveland's. Jackie Bird's are real nice. Her daughter Jocy has nice outfits too, it looks like she uses flagging tape for her fringe and it flows nice. It might be true what Czechy said about painting the fringes, cuz I know sometimes at Jackie's shows they use blacklights and some of her regalia is painted so therefore it glows and has a cool effect!
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2002, 11:51 AM   #10
Ready to dance

Hey, finger nail polish!! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, cuz I use it on alot of other things, like quill earrings, and repairing beadwork.

Back to Jackie Bird: Over the weekend I made a skirt for a girl to match a shawl given to her by Jackie Bird. I was so excited. I saw the shawl later at our pow-wow, and it had the flagging tape fringe. It looked awesome!!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:00 PM   #11
fncyshwldncr4life

WOW, Ive never heard of Jackie, but i checked out the outfits..Those have got to be the most gorgeous fancy shawl regalia i have EVER seen!! Amazing! :JawDrop
Old 07-11-2002, 12:36 AM   #12
fncyshwldncr4life

I guess i could talk about fringe..aye.. lol

Personally (just my opinion) i like the longer fringe- to the ground- mine is almost 3 ft. long ( keep in mind im almost 6 ft. tall too) i just think its much prettier when you out there dancing and you see all the swaying fringe. Ribbon of course, not regular fringe- unless its the flat fringe. But like I said, this is just my opinion. :)
Old 07-11-2002, 01:24 PM   #13
Ready to dance

Wow, 3 feet!! That must be very beautiful. I'd love to see you dance sometime.

What's your opinion on the flagging tape fringe? When I first heard about it, I thought, "EEWW, flagging tape". But on the shawl made by Jackie Bird, it looked very cool in action.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #14
Downstream People

ogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
ogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 439.14
I too like the longer fringe. Not sure about the flagging tape. I think I'll leave that to the fancy dancers! I like the way ribbon moves.
ogapahndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2002, 05:22 PM   #15
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
amanda big mountain and her sister tara use flagging tape for fringe and attached it with hot glue. it looks good if you cut the tape in half because it looks alittle odd if left that wide. the down side to flaggins tape is that repetitive stepping on it leaves a trail around the arena.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:43 PM   #16
fncyshwldncr4life

Here's one of mine- this one's fringe is about 2 1/2 ft long! As far as the flaggin tape goes, i think it could be really kewl if its done right ;)
Attached Thumbnails
myshawl.jpg  
Old 07-13-2002, 01:31 PM   #17
Riverwoman

That's really nice!:) Bet that fringe sways just right eh?*l* and how can you tell I am Canadian? Just that 'eh" word!
Old 07-13-2002, 06:30 PM   #18
fncyshwldncr4life

lol, yes it does, i really enjoy dancin with this shawl :D
Old 07-13-2002, 09:29 PM   #19
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 430.00
Myself, I say just barely burn the edge so it has a clear clean edge to it! I've tried fray check and that nail polish and personally I think it adds too much weight to a shawl already weighed down by designs and the material of the shawl itself.
As for shalw length that depends on your height. As a rule of thumb I like my shawls to go from my the base of my neck to the very bottom curve of my bum. The fringe will be from that bottom bum curve to the top of my ankles, so usually @ 20-22 inches. But I double my fringe over so when I cut it each peice is about 40-44 inches long!
As for that flagging tape, I think it tends to look tacky if not done right!
FancyStar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #20
Ready to dance

What a beautiful shawl!! It must look great with your whole ensemble'. I really do need to rethink my fringe length. In fact, I need to get the latest shawl I made back and redo the fringe.

Thanks for the tip on shawl and fringe length, fancystar. I make shawls for all sizes of girls and am never sure exactly how big to go. Of course, for little girls I'll go with shorter fringe, cuz they're always stepping on it. And maybe shorter if I ever try flagging tape. How embarassing to leave a trail of fringe around the arena!!!!

Now I'm going to have to ask about width. How much past your fingertips do you go, as a rule of thumb? hee hee
Sponsored Links