Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Future of women's fancy Future of women's fancy

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2001, 06:28 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
butterfli123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Future of women's fancy

I have been dancing since I was about 13 yrs old, although didn't really get into the circuit until several years ago. During that time I have noticed a decreased interest in fancy... is it just me? Most of my younger female relatives, who do not dance, said that they would be interested in traditional or jingle rather than fancy. What's up with that! Do ya'll think women's fancy is going out of style? Just a though... but even so, I'll dance fancy till I can't dance anymore. I can see it now, me in golden age, skipping around the arena... I love it! :D
Old 09-19-2001, 07:57 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

DivineJingle is an unknown quantity at this point
I think this is good observation. I notice that there are a lot more jingle or traditional dancers than there are fancy, and I was wondering the same thing. I think maybe cuz, with both jingle and tradish, you can make one set of leggings and moccs and wear various dresses and still look good, but with fancy, it looks better with a variety of outfits. Just my thoughts.
DivineJingle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2001, 11:52 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
Smile

No doubt that Jingle is very popular but, I've seen NO SHORTAGE of Fancy Shawl dancers at any of the big powwows (i.e. Gathering of Nations, etc...) !
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2001, 11:29 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

lngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond repute
I think it goes in cycles. Does anybody remember when grass started becoming real popular? There was a decrease in men's fancy and traditional then, too. But it changed and now there's a lot more men's fancy and traditional dancers out there. I'm guessing the same thing will happen to women's categories. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:37 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

butterfli123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

This is good to hear... so this is just a low for fancy, and it will pick up. After hearing from everyone, I agree... and your right waleli, definately no shortage of fancy at the big pow wow's (i.e. gathering). I was there... so many fancy, it was hectic. For the time being, this low in fancy is fine w/ me. I'll just keep on dancing, and maybe even slip in a win here or there! Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-21-2001, 01:19 AM   #6
Junior Dancer

Two-cents1 is on a distinguished road
My thoughts exactly (....what she said.. :D )

It really does go in cycles. I still remember back when there would be only one or two jingle dress dancers at powwows, or one or two men's fancy dancer's, grass dancers, etc. There seems to be a higher turn-over in women's fancy...people move in and out of that category more often than others, but the numbers are likely to go up again.

Two-cents
Two-cents1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Yo Bob,
I don't believe all ndn chicks are fat nor are the fine looking young ones all having babies. Watch yourself, some of us can have kids and not be fat, some of us choose not to have kids, maybe some of us don't want to be with you

Most fancy dancers I know have kids and still dance fancy even after birth I say keep dancing girls I applaud all the fancy dancers out there

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: deltadawn ]
Old 09-21-2001, 03:20 PM   #8
Riverwoman

Where are the moderators when we need them?

Bob, I am sad that you feel that way, certainly that is not the truth!

Not all of the "Fine young ones" are having babies, there are many native women who chose to get an education, job, a life before they choose to have children

Thank the lord I have the good sense my mother and female realtions installed on me, to see what dumbasses there are out there :D
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

Two-cents1 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone checked out any of bob's posts in other threads? Please don't encourage this behavior by giving him what he wants and reacting to his nonsense.
Two-cents1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 07:33 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

fancyfingers will become famous soon enough
Credits: 310.00
beleive me, there are lots of shawl dancers out there, more at larger pw's, travel around more and you'll see, i found alot of girls i use to dance with went to jingle, or tradish, i do understand why, it can be very stressful i know personally, i thought when my daughter was old enough to be in adult cat. i thought i would of stopped, but i just couldnt give it up, its the excitement of the dance, its awlsome, you can really get lost out there when that drum is jamming, you dont even see anyone, your in your own world. it takes alot of dedication to stay in shape, i know im guilty of not being in shape the way that i would want to be, to much beading sitting on myAAAAAAA. im a grand ma now and still cant give it up, i guess ill shawl dance as long as i can, ive had ailments over the years, that still didnt stop me, there's always gonna be young ones coming up, just this last w/e i got freaked out because one of the girls was dancing with me in comp. didnt realize till after the contest that she was 18, i remember as one of my students, hooooola, im very thankful to be able to still fancy, when im out there i dance for those who are not able to dance, i feel very blessed. you go girls keep on dancing, and feel goooooooood
Old 09-24-2001, 09:56 PM   #11
mtn lover..

dancing bear is a glorious beacon of light
Location: wyoming now.. originally from new mexico though.. but summer is coming.. so my tent or my car..
Wink

My favorite catagory and I agree with the cycle thing because I think what is going to be popular next is Mens' Chicken dancing. It's all around up north and spreading south and so the cycle continues....
For those that dance Womens' Fancy, keep it up, I love watching you all!!! ;)
-El Oso
dancing bear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2001, 05:54 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ayita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond repute
i Have seen a lot of girls dance fancy and jingle not many girls my age that i know dance tradtional! I dance all 3 catergorys and love them all. Now bob you are such a jerk! Not all native girls have kids i don't have a kid and i am native and getting a education! And you shouldn't make fun of the so called fat girls we all have feelings and guess what the so called fat girls get guys too so i say to all antive girls my age keep on dancing and show these kind of people wut we are made out of!
~Ayita~
Old 09-29-2001, 02:58 AM   #13
powwow bum

that's all the world needs are more fat, "educated" women
Old 09-29-2001, 05:44 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

Soul Healer is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello All,

I may be off the track here, but see that you all seem to be much, much more experienced at all of this than I. I am looking for patterns to be able to make regalia. The only one I have seen is actually a "costume" pattern at the local Walmart. It served it's purpose, but am looking for more along the lines of actual traditional styles of skirts, blouses, and the mens ribbon shirts.

Went to one powwow and like a dummy didn't pick any up. Now needing them.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 09-29-2001, 10:50 PM   #15
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
Smile

You can find a wide array of patterns for ribbon shirts, cloth & buckskin dresses,etc... at www.crazycrow.com
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2001, 12:19 AM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

Powwow_Rez_KiddZ is an unknown quantity at this point
WELL I SEE A LOT OF FANCY SHAWL GURLS AT POWWOWZ EVEN MORE THAN JINGLE OR TRADITIONAL, FANCY HAD BECOME VERY POPULAR SO I DONT KNOW WHY ITS BEING LEFT OUT, AT BIGGER POWWOWS LIKE THE GATHERING OF NATIONS AND OTHERS, THERES LIKE 3 ROUNDS SPILT OF FANCY SHAWL DANCERS IN EACH CATEGORIES,
FANCYSHAWL IS MY FAVE IN DA LADIES CATEGORIES
;)
Old 10-07-2001, 01:41 AM   #17
Frybread Lover

LadyDove2 is an unknown quantity at this point
*smiles*
I was so glad to find another pow wow website! I have been a fancy shawl dancer for 8 years and am 18. I have noticed a "decline" of Fancy here in TN. The last pow wow I went to , I was the only girl in my catagory! They had to let me win! lol I got 200 bucks from it , but it was kinda like a shallow victory for me.
It seems like most of the girls who get my age (here anyway) turn to jingle and Cloth. *shrugs* Oh well , I will always have competition not to far behind me , my sister is a year and a half younger than me. So this year she should be in my catagory!
;)
Oh , and Bob , I'll have you know that I am like 160 lbs , and don't have a problem at all with stepping just as high as everyone eles .... :p
But then again I think that is cause I am mostly muscle *giggles nervously and then walks off*
Old 10-11-2001, 04:19 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Dancinfreek is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone. I have started back into fancy just got tired of dancing traditional. Im busy workin on my new outfit. Gold black and red with the Godsmack symbol on the yoke. Hopefully it comes out as great as it looks on paper. Im putting little dragon patches thought it might put a more interesting look plus they are the colors i want so if you see a fancy dancer with a sun symbol on her back and dragons on the shawl thats me!
Dancinfreek is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2001, 05:29 PM   #19
Putin' a lil jingle in it

nativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond reputenativegal has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 180.00
Smile

I am hoping to get into fancy shawl dancing but I do not have any one close by me that can teach me, and it's hard for me to decide on what type of designs I want on my regalia. All the fancy dancers that I have seen that I like their style all live too far away to help me with the steps, and the designing of the regalia. I guess until I find someone that can teach me or until my daughter is old enough to teach me , I will keep on dancing traditonal.Unless one of you will feel sorry for me :( and will teach me!LOL

Tab
Old 10-12-2001, 04:52 PM   #20
hidatsachic24

i was a former fancy shawl dancer but to be honest i wouldnt worry
about fancy shawl decreasing...no matter what its always going
to be there....
and BOB grow up!!! i think you need to be educated more...some women
these days choose not to have babies...heard of the womens rights movement eh?
stop making hostile comments or your gonna get kicked off....

everyone:just ignore him he isnt worth it...he probably aint even native or even a dancer...
Sponsored Links