Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Hair...braids or a bun? Hair...braids or a bun?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
meetmeinthegarden is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Hair...braids or a bun?

I have seen this trend at pow wows of girls wearing thier hair up in a bun instead of having braids and hairties. WHY? Is there any significance to it? Which do you prefer and why?

"those who give you grief can't stop the sun from rising or setting....the only one who can...made you the way you are...I'd say...He knows what He is doing...."

..."take care how you place your moccasins upon the earth. Step with care, for the faces of the future generations are looking up from earth waiting their turn for life."
~Chief Oren Lyons, Onondaga
meetmeinthegarden is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Banned

JUS ME is an unknown quantity at this point
A BUN HA HA TO CHEAP LOOKING....''LOL
JUS ME is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Riverwoman

Never seen that before myself! I prefer braids, as you can wear two hairties instead of none with a bun.... Didn't mean to make that rhyme either:P
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Champion Dancer

*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
yep u see that alot around here :p
braids look better .. the bun look makes u look lazy or somethin
*-merk-* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

peachy keen is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah makez ya look too skanky or somethin. Like I'm here- don't care- give me my money!
peachy keen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
What tribes? Where? Most shawl dancers round here wears braids. Other styles of dancing;girls and women tend to wear 3 styles. (If they have long hair) Girls wear 2 braids (DUH) I mention this cause sometimes you see GUYS in two braids instead of three,(Scalplock) which makes you wonder. Women (married ) usually wear one braid in back with a tie or drop (Sac n Fox, etc) Delaware women and Caddos wear a special hair ornament. It depends on your tribes style, If you don't have a tribe well..... At least go with the kind of clothes your wearing. But modern times... ya know things change. What are you trying to say or do, thats the question. The 3rd style..... Its a beehive of course.

Last edited by storm; 01-18-2004 at 12:37 PM..
storm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Banned

a bun yeah to cheap looking but whats the diffrence on how u were your hair 2 braids or not and u dont have to put your hair a certain way jus to let people know your married c'mon these r the modern dayz and u can were your plumes and feathers how ever u want thats the stupidist thing i have ever heard im married and i dont were my hair a certain way
Old 01-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Riverwoman

Quote:
Originally posted by JUS ME
a bun yeah to cheap looking but whats the diffrence on how u were your hair 2 braids or not and u dont have to put your hair a certain way jus to let people know your married c'mon these r the modern dayz and u can were your plumes and feathers how ever u want thats the stupidist thing i have ever heard im married and i dont were my hair a certain way
Give your head a shake girl Geez! There are many different nations, with many different hair styles and different wayz of dress. Just because you don't ( wear your hair any "special" way) does it mean it's wrong for others to do so:Yell
Old 01-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Riverwoman

Like they say or so I have heard it said, "Ignorance breeds stupidity":Chatter
Old 01-18-2004, 01:17 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, Jus Me, I apologise for being unclear. I thought that is what I said, modern times and do your own thing. But where does it stop? There are many older women around here who talk, talk ,talk, about the littlest things, like hair. I personally believe, and no one has to agree, that if you maintain traditions, you maintain identity. With so many mixed tribes, and mixed bloods and urban indians, well you can tell by reading these forums, there are some mixed up ideas out there.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Riverwoman
Like they say or so I have heard it said, "Ignorance breeds stupidity":Chatter
and u shut up
Old 01-18-2004, 01:36 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Riverwoman
Give your head a shake girl Geez! There are many different nations, with many different hair styles and different wayz of dress. Just because you don't ( wear your hair any "special" way) does it mean it's wrong for others to do so:Yell
was i saying i were my hair a special way no
Old 01-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

this is what I've seen here in ontario. I know one person in particular who stopped wearing braids...i think to show off her beaded vest...

...now that I think of it you're right. It is lazy. It's like...a bit concieted too i guess...wanting to show off that her vest if totally beaded....

although if i had a beaded vest i'd show it off...but not to the point of not getting fully dressed.

"those who give you grief can't stop the sun from rising or setting....the only one who can...made you the way you are...I'd say...He knows what He is doing...."

..."take care how you place your moccasins upon the earth. Step with care, for the faces of the future generations are looking up from earth waiting their turn for life."
Old 01-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute
~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*DopeLilMama*~ has a reputation beyond repute
~*DopeLilMama*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
Savings: 1.00
my hair isn't long to have in braids or in a bun. its long enough to do french braiding and pin up in the back.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #16
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
If you watch carefully, you'll notice that many people (not just women) who come in grand entry with their hair in a bun or hanging loose. Later on, near contest time, you'll see them done up with an all together different style. Which ever way they wear it.
Now these are the ones who come in late and didn't have the time to do it up right.
Watch them next time. Especially those of you who usually get selected to judge.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #17
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
The only time that a bun was appropriate was when my sister in fancy shawl regalia was head woman dancer for UC Riverside powwow. She was running late, so to save time she bunned her hair and put her princess crown right over the whole bun. Nothing looked out of the ordinary and since she wasn't contesting she didn't have to worry about taking off her crown.
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #18
shaylen many heads

SWEETNDNGRL will become famous soon enough
I see a lot of dancers coming into the arbour without their hair done, either hanging loose or in a bun. Personally I understand that maybe u dont get it done by grand entry, life happens and as long as it gets done as soon as possible, to each their own. But I think that for those girls who dont even make the effort, they are just lazy. My pet peeve is when it is written on the contest rules that you will be docked points or not marked in at grand entry if your hair is not done and then they dont even knock off those points. the ones of us that make sure to have our hair done really get irritated by those ones...:Flame
SWEETNDNGRL is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #19
Junior Dancer

clrezchik_12 is an unknown quantity at this point
i wear both...if i am late getting ready i will just put a fast bun up...its usually i sloppy bun with my smaller plumes put on top to the side...its all good... but most of the time i wear two braids and hair ties and wraps....

R.I.P Alex Archie
March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
***AIDS***
Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..
clrezchik_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

heh...my hair is just now long enough to wear braids. Even now, they are just hittin below the collarbone.

Man I tried everything to make my hair grow. I tried growing serums, leaving it really greasy lots...an old wives tale, tying it up lots...which actually seemed to work but in turn my hair started falling out more.....

Finally I just bought some fake hair and braided it in whenever I danced at a pow wow. Which was cool because I could decide how long I wanted my braids to be. :)

Heck all you guys are gonna think I am all fake. Fake Plumes, fake hair....am i even a real indian?? *L*

Sponsored Links