Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is showing your legs good or bad??????
Yes 6 75.00%
No 1 12.50%
Maybe 1 12.50%
Not to sure 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Little to much Legs Little to much Legs

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 04:15 AM   #1
fAnCy ShAwL DaNcEr

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Little to much Legs

I dont know how many ladys will agree with me on this but here i goes,Do you think showing your legs is good or bad? I was told that i shouldn't be showing my legs at all.But now a days girls are showing enough leg to see there strechys.So basically do you think it is against tradition to show your legs?
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Pow-wow Goer

p_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond reputep_town_mami has a reputation beyond repute
You need to rephrase the question in your poll so it makes sense. Either ask "Is showing your legs good?" or "Is showing your legs bad?" or else change your answer choices. No one can answer this poll the way its written darling!

Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off,
kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or
behaving like one.
p_town_mami is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
guess it all depends what you want to show i guess or what you want ppl to see of you - if you want to show off your thighs when you spin you cut your skirt a certain way (two large pieces sewn together) so it rotates out and up when you spin. if you don't want to show much you cut your skirt the other way (a "tube" at the top and then the skirting). guess the question would be "what kind of woman are you?"
Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Warrior Woman

biggurlbrain is just really nice
didn't come to the powwow,...

to see your butt, came to the powwow to see your feet moving lightly
across the arbour. i think the skirts should only come up to slightly above the knee
that's enough to showcase the feet and calves. oh yeah! not tooo much
high kicking there's a fine line between athletic and graceful.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Most tribes agree that life goes in a cycle.....

In PRE-history.....

Most females went topless in most North American cultures (during the summer).

After 1492...

Indigenous people were taught it was heathen to display these "human" body parts.

Indian people had fully bought into the idea that modesty was the thing to do.

Indian people are saying times change and so do we.

Fancy shawl dancers are showing plenty of legs and arms.

??? XXX ???
Old 09-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
that's definitely true of the southeastern tribes. my husband saw a painting of the Choctaws and Chickasaws when they were splitting up and he says, "uh, where are their tops?" when I told him that was tradition he said, "uh, then you should be traditional, old school Chickasaw, at least at home, when the kids are sleep."
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
jaguar dancer

onca-pintada can only hope to improve
Exclamation

I Agree That Traditionally, We Showed Skin.

However, It Was Not Done In A Brazen Way, But Rather, It Was Accepted As Natural.

We Women Didn't Shave Either.

I Don't Shave, So Is That Good Or Bad?

Showing Too Much Skin? Good Or Bad-well, How Is It Done? One's Motive Defines The Act.

Brazen Sexuality In The Circle Is Not Acceptable (except For Those Rituals In Which It Is-whatever Those Are/were)

I Support Traditional Practices, Whatever They Are!
onca-pintada is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Warrior Woman

biggurlbrain is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by onca-pintada
I Agree That Traditionally, We Showed Skin.

However, It Was Not Done In A Brazen Way, But Rather, It Was Accepted As Natural.

We Women Didn't Shave Either.

I Don't Shave, So Is That Good Or Bad?

Showing Too Much Skin? Good Or Bad-well, How Is It Done? One's Motive Defines The Act.

Brazen Sexuality In The Circle Is Not Acceptable (except For Those Rituals In Which It Is-whatever Those Are/were)

I Support Traditional Practices, Whatever They Are!
nice words.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
She Who Plays with Wolves

Apache_Fancy_Shawl is a jewel in the rough
Post Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Most tribes agree that life goes in a cycle.....

In PRE-history.....

Most females went topless in most North American cultures (during the summer).

After 1492...

Indigenous people were taught it was heathen to display these "human" body parts.

Indian people had fully bought into the idea that modesty was the thing to do.

Indian people are saying times change and so do we.

Fancy shawl dancers are showing plenty of legs and arms.

??? XXX ???
Thank You. I have a self named Cherokee/Choctaw Elder Woman (in her own mind this is)
Who No matter how I dress I'm wrong. If I wear leggins with highop moccs and skirt jus pass the knees
or If I were my skirt with jeans under it during winter, or if I have my skirt and high op moccs on with my family
eblem/**** on, No Matter what, I am dressed WRONG & as it is a tradtion of my people to wear a buckskin dress/skirt&top (top opitnol) hightop moccs (opptional) and a buffalo hide, and your way off tradtional even if you can prove it was your peoples ways of life
And tonight itís only you and me
Apache_Fancy_Shawl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
commander bun-bun

Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
I think it all depends where you are, I wouldn't show off my legs at a powwow, now if my hubby want's to take me out & get dressed up I will where a mini skirt & my high heels, he just love that.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
Junior Dancer

Evenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 640.65
Yeah I agree with Ginger. I think it depends on who you are. Well, when i danced, I always wore shorts under my dresses and i didnt kick my legs out very high up because of the gracefulness of the dance and because I didnt want the whole place seeing my chicken leg thighs (:P). But I hope I presented myself in a fashion that was respectable to myself and others.