Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Need help making a fancy shawl outfit Need help making a fancy shawl outfit

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 697.11
Savings: 1.00
Need help making a fancy shawl outfit

I am gonna (attempt to) make a fancy shawl outfit for my 4 year old daughter. I am gonna use satin silk for her outfit, do I need to put some kind of other fabric underneth it?? and for the yoke what to I use to make it not be flimsy, what do I sew underneth the silk and what do I use for the back?? Can anyone help me.
~~Cheyenne~~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

shawldancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking

The easiest way I have found if using cloth or sequins to reinforce your cape.
Use a canvase back and use a fusing heat transfer to layer two pieces together. Also use the heat transfer to attach your cape to the canvase it gives it a nice smooth finish that sewing alone can not. You can use this same method for doing fabric applica then use a sewing machine to edge it so it does not frey. do this before attaching to canvase backing. When finshed edge with bias tape then attach fringe if wanted.
shawldancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

mrs_mcr is an unknown quantity at this point
If she is four I would say Keep It Simple Sweetie! You're gonna be making a new one next year :-) You might can get away with a yoke/cape that is a little big and just remake the dress for a couple of years.
Using a canvas back may give it more weight, but perhaps you can spend a little extra time searching for a simple material that has a pretty finish and add applique to give the *bling* you want. The fusible webbing iron-on stuff is GREAT!
mrs_mcr is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 697.11
Thank you for your help
~~Cheyenne~~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

shawldancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Canvase can also be used to make her leggings if you want. Then you dont have to worry about her leggings slouching. Cut the pattern you want double layer with heat bond transfer. Useing a zipper up the is easiest for kids, If you dont want the zipper to show set it back some so the front seems cover it.

Also for the little ones, if you make the cape with a vest front or suspender with belt style it stays in place much better than just ayoke style with nothing to hold it in place.
Good luck!
shawldancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Fusible interfacing is good for strengthening the yoke and it inexpensive.

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
hurtin to pow wow

fancyforever is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 419.00
fancy outfit

i would also like to add that this outfit is for a four year old. Umm i would use colours that will diguise stains as children can get things dirty quickly. I used pink on my step daughters outfit, lol now there is grass stains and ketchup stains on her shawl and skirt. Oh and use fabric that is wrinkle resistant. Oh and this heat adheasive or whatever, is called heat and bond, well in Canada anyway. You can get this at Walmart or by the meter at fabric stores. Ummm if you find that canvas doesn't hold the cape down say on a windy day, you could use curtain weights, there like metal sqares and you can just sew them on underneath of course.
fancyforever is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links