Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Need some info on how to make a flare in a skirt Need some info on how to make a flare in a skirt

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 697.11
Savings: 1.00
Need some info on how to make a flare in a skirt

How to you cut the material for the bottom part of a skirt that would flare out when they spin, i tried different ways, but somehow it isn't coming to me. Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 813.40
Savings: 0.00
Usually the flaring of the skirt starts at the knee. What I usually do is (kind of going off on the instructions on this website Patterns, patterns on measurements) measure right where the top of my knee is down to the bottom of where I want my hem to come down to and at the bottom I add on 1 1/2 inches to 2 sometimes for the width. Then i connect where the top of my knee would be to the bottom hem. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't let me know.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
The flared hem popular today is basd on the circle skirt. Belly dancers use it too but for the whole skirt, not just the hem. Shawl dancers can use the same pattern but make it shorter to use on the hem portion of a skirt. There are free directions on the Net and I can try to find them if someone wants. But basically, you decide how wide you want the hem including seam allowances. Then you take your fabric and fold it in half. With a pin and string and chalk, you draw a half circle against one side. Cut that out. Then cut out a section at the center of the half circle so your shape looks like a rainbow and not an watermelon slice. You now have two half circles which you would sew together to make a full circle. This is then sewn to the bottom of your upper skirt portion. It takes a bit of higher math to figure out where to draw the line for the inside edge. The online article has the equation. I guess I'll go hunt for it now that I have thoroughly confused everyone......bye!
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
White Dove Creations

sbourlon is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 10.00
White Dove Creations/ Fancy Shawl/jingle dress

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the 1950's poodle skirt pattern. You will have to alter the length but the flare is really nice.
sbourlon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
PowWows.com Addicts

~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute~~Cheyenne~~ has a reputation beyond repute
thanks czechy and sbourlon, i think i got what your saying czechy, so when you hem it up to to the other piece do you also kind of fold it every so much apart or do you just hem it straight?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

thanks chirapachegurl, thats is also a nice way, but to confusing for me, lol, i am looking for the different flare kind that goes in a circle when they spin.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
I was actually looking for the same thing and ran across this online the other day. I think it's like what Czechy was getting at...

Sewing for belly dance | sewing and tailoring
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Yes, that's the basic pattern that I was trying to describe. Thank you northofAda. To alter this pattern, you would have to make the half circles narrower since we are not making a whole skirt. Also, they have kept the panels as separate pieces. For a hem, you would sew them together to get one long piece.
Cheyenne, because of the way the fabric is cut (as half circles), there is no need to gather any of the material when you attach it to the skirt. The upper portion of the hem is naturally shorter than the bottom portion, so you would just sew it on straight.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

thanks so much for all your help, exactly what i was looking for
Old 07-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I did a full circle skirt, but I'm afraid it was TOO much of a flare and lifted the rest of the skirt up and showed the spandex and all.

Now I do a modified flare that goes out about at a 45 degree angle. You just do ONE longer rainbow shape, instead of two that would make a full circle.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Tim Horton's Addict

Little Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,295.41
I just started making them circle skirts for my daughter.. and found a site that helps make any size.. just follow the instructions..and they turn out great!!! check out whatthecraft?.. go to the tutorial section and check out the link titled "circle skirt".. it's kewl.. and it's free!!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 AM   #12
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Man's Ma View Post
I just started making them circle skirts for my daughter.. and found a site that helps make any size.. just follow the instructions..and they turn out great!!! check out whatthecraft?.. go to the tutorial section and check out the link titled "circle skirt".. it's kewl.. and it's free!!
That is very cool and seems easier than the link I found earlier. I cut out my daughter's dress yesterday using the other instructions that I posted, but I'm not sure if it's going to be the way I want it. If it doesn't turn out right I'll use the instructions you posted and give it another go. Good thing I have some extra fabric, LOL.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 813.40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Cheyenne~~ View Post
thanks chirapachegurl, thats is also a nice way, but to confusing for me, lol, i am looking for the different flare kind that goes in a circle when they spin.
OOOOOOOOOOhhhh, you wanted it to be that flarey.