Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 2 Post By AmigoKumeyaay
  • 2 Post By Joe's Dad

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing New to fancy shawl dancing, help me out ladies!! New to fancy shawl dancing, help me out ladies!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mattagami_gal87 is a splendid one to beholdmattagami_gal87 is a splendid one to beholdmattagami_gal87 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
New to fancy shawl dancing, help me out ladies!!

Oni ladies!!

I'm just learning how to fancy shawl dance and I'm not sure how to go about practicing as far as the music goes. I don't know the songs, I know there's a crow hop song and double beat song but there's other ones, I don't know how it all goes for the fancy shawl dancers in a pow-wow or competition. What are the songs? And where can I find them? Basically I want to know what I'm doing here lol, I aspire to dance at a pow-wow someday and maybe even compete, I want to know how this all goes!! Dancing makes me incredibly happy and I want to know the right way, I'd appreciate your help M'gwetch!
mattagami_gal87 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Savings: 1.00
First, you didn't lay down cyber tobacco before you started asking for help.

You also didn't state where you were from, or anything about yourself.

There are some very knowledgeable dancers, friends of dancers, or friends of friends of dancer who frequent this site. Try asking a little nicer.

Good to hear you get happy feet!!! LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

mattagami_gal87 is a splendid one to beholdmattagami_gal87 is a splendid one to beholdmattagami_gal87 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Alrighty, I wasn't aware I had to do those things, I meant no disrespect, so I do apologize if I've offended anyone. I'm not only new to fancy shawl dancing, I'm new to this website as well and quite frankly, a lot to do with my culture but I am trying to learn.

I'm from Mattagami First Nation in Ontario Canada. My name is Heather, I'm Ojibway,and yes, I definitely got some happy feet!!!

I would like to offer some cyber-tobbaco to whoever might read this, in exchange for some much needed advice! Thank you very much to all who will take the time to read and reply, much love!

And thank you Joe's dad for giving me the heads up lol
mattagami_gal87 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
See. That wasn't so hard!

I'm not a shawler, but there are some good ones that come on here.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Chahta Champion

ChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 239.93
well, there's some good songs on youtube. umm, have you check older posts?
ChahtaGrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

shewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 148.19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
First, you didn't lay down cyber tobacco before you started asking for help.

You also didn't state where you were from, or anything about yourself.

There are some very knowledgeable dancers, friends of dancers, or friends of friends of dancer who frequent this site. Try asking a little nicer.

Good to hear you get happy feet!!! LOL
I found her question to be very polite, just a side note "Joe´s Dad"- glad you enjoy hanging out in a women`s dance forum.
shewantstodance is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewantstodance View Post
I found her question to be very polite, just a side note "Joe´s Dad"- glad you enjoy hanging out in a women`s dance forum.
Where else are you gonna find the pretty girls? Nice to see you come on here and chastise me on your first post.

Good luck on here.

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Last edited by Joe's Dad; 01-22-2012 at 08:58 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChahtaGrasser View Post
well, there's some good songs on youtube. umm, have you check older posts?

Lisa Moose, TT, and AmigoK all have their own YouTube Channels with plenty of Fancy Shawlers!

Lots of Fancy Shawl videos right here on the forum, also!

Is this forum really for girls only?

Last edited by AmigoKumeyaay; 01-22-2012 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: spellung DOH
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewantstodance View Post
@Joe's Dad, lmao, cyber tobaccy! i think shewantstodance is someone else.......

@shewantstodance, yes her question was polite, and JD's comment was harmless and funny. it seems to me that she took it that way. also, he is allowed to go on any thread he wants to, he is our mascot! way to come out of the gate swinging though!

@mattagami_gal87, first welcome to the site, you will find what you are looking for. there are so many people on here, with so much knowledge.
just a note, we as a people did not use contractions. lol now there is no right or wrong way to spell words in our language, but for sure we did not use contractions. it is Mii Gwetch, or Miigwetch. i have seen a couple other spellings.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
have you been to any powwows? you should go, and go, and go!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

shewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond reputeshewantstodance has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Apparently you`re not... DAD but you like hanging around them and ya I guess you´re funny, probably too funny for my simple mind. *shrugs*

Last edited by shewantstodance; 09-30-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Where else are you gonna find the pretty girls? Nice to see you come on here and chastise me on your first post.

Good luck on here.
I think you jumped on her without any reason, you might call it humour I call it uneccesary rudeness. And yes I do like it here, just some people should go outside more and torture others with their "humour".Sidenote: This is a humorous remark too. Why? Cause I said so.

Last edited by shewantstodance; 09-30-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migiziwomen View Post
@Joe's Dad, lmao, cyber tobaccy! i think shewantstodance is someone else.......

@shewantstodance, yes her question was polite, and JD's comment was harmless and funny. it seems to me that she took it that way. also, he is allowed to go on any thread he wants to, he is our mascot! way to come out of the gate swinging though!

@mattagami_gal87, first welcome to the site, you will find what you are looking for. there are so many people on here, with so much knowledge.
just a note, we as a people did not use contractions. lol now there is no right or wrong way to spell words in our language, but for sure we did not use contractions. it is Mii Gwetch, or Miigwetch. i have seen a couple other spellings.
It´s awfully interesting to read what you think. Mascot? O-k I guess you don`t know what that word means. But thank you and if you love him, I like it... not really but hey.

Last edited by shewantstodance; 09-30-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,776.62
Talking Switch Dance Time

Quote:

Switch Dance Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, Joe's Dad, show use all of your fancy shawl moves..... (handing you a really nice appliqued shawl)

Do we have any judges?
Suzizila is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Cee is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 112.00
Women's Fancy Shawl

Hello I'm a new shawler. I love that term by the way. I challenged myself to learn in 8 lessons over 4 months with the end result dancing in my first Pow Wow.
I also had a camera follow my lessons for a doc and to inspire other urban aboriginals just like me to reconnect if you want to check out the trailer….http://youtu.be/LbFyEvCTzq0
I'm also on twitter and posting articles that have been helpful for me... follow @CeeObe
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee View Post
Hello I'm a new shawler. I love that term by the way. I challenged myself to learn in 8 lessons over 4 months with the end result dancing in my first Pow Wow.
I also had a camera follow my lessons for a doc and to inspire other urban aboriginals just like me to reconnect if you want to check out the trailer….http://youtu.be/LbFyEvCTzq0
I'm also on twitter and posting articles that have been helpful for me... follow @CeeObe
So how did it feel going into the circle for the first time? How did you interface with the First Nations people who have powwowed all their lives.
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 02-03-2015, 01:37 AM   #17
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
She's been busy making other videos!

windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 AM   #18
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
I don't know which one Cee was, but it's always good to see, feel and touch the dance. Great job, young lady!
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
Sponsored Links