Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Shawl fringe Shawl fringe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
wrapped in ribbonwork!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Savings: 0.00
Shawl fringe

I remember when chainette fringe was all everybody had on thier shawls. Then the flat shoestring fringe came out and that was briefly popular. Now it looks like satin or polyester ribbon is the thing.

Anybody want to guess what the next hot fringing meterial will be?

And...

Has anybody used tinsel icicles as shawl fringe? I am thinking of maybe using some to add some flash to my outfit. I'd use small amounts of the clear iridescent color so I don't look like a gaudy Christmas tree!! I imagine the stuff is a tad fragile and would have to be handled carefully so it doesn't get pulled or broken off. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2002, 09:06 PM   #2
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
My daughter and used some for her hair ties this past Feb.
They look fine. Just be careful how you attach them. She shed all over the place! You could follow her trail by the tinsel path left behind. :blushing:
Yes, we are going to use them in the future but be more careful how we attach it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
I saw a fancy shawl dancer at Gathering once w/the icicle fringe on her shawl, it was very flashy ! You would have to be careful w/ it, it is fragile stuff ! I think it makes pretty hairties/braid wraps too .
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2002, 10:49 PM   #4
Tiny tot mommy!

}!{ tinkerbell }!{ is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 70.00
Smile sparkly fringe

Hey there....sounds like a neat idea! But I just wanted to add that I saw a girl that used them as hair ties, and after a while they got really bushy and all curled up. Know what I mean...it looked like she had pom poms on her braids after awhile. So I would have to say if you are gonna use it. Be really careful in how you put it away.
:)
}!{ tinkerbell }!{ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2002, 04:22 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

jinglealltheway is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
AT THIS ONE POW-WOW IN CANADA, THIS ONE GIRL HAD A REALLY BRIGHT LIME GREEN FRINGE ON HER SHAWL. IT SPARKLED, REALLY NICE. IT TURNED OUT TO BE MATERIAL THAT SHE HAD CUT UP INTO SMALL FRINGED. I WAS SUPRISED. NOW MY LITTLE GIRL WANTS ONE FOR HER SHAWL. THATS AN IDEA. :D
jinglealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2002, 04:24 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

jinglealltheway is an unknown quantity at this point
OH YEAH I FORGOT TO ADD, IT WAS A LIME GREEN SEQUIN MATERIAL SO IT DIDN'T FRAY FOR ANYTHING. BUT I THOUGHT IT LOOKED REALLY NICE. MAYBE THAT WILL BE THE NEW THING NOW HUH.:D
jinglealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2002, 09:27 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 366.94
Yah you guys are right you may want to use it spareingly and be careful how you pack it away. I use ribbon and the flat fringe. I use the ribbon more now becuase it takes less time. I have hairties that are made out of both POM POMs and the Tensil. I go to Walmart buy a POM POM and cut off the pieces and lay them on Duct Tape, put them together and pin them to the back of my hair ties. My White ones did get bushy so I 86ed them. However my Black and Orange ones are still flat adn straight.

THe Tensil ones are just as straight as ever. I got the Tensil at Walmart. It is the really long, thick, tensil. I think its about 14" inches long, maybe not that long. Anyway it comes already together. I have blue, silver, and arora borealus colors. All I do with that one is cut it in half and tape the top piece so it won't unfold and voila its the perfect length and size. No taping individual pieces.

I do agree once they get bushy! Throw them away or take the POM POM and cut it again for more or get you some more Tensil. You have to make sure that you don't look GAWDY! I got the idea from Theresa Largo.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2002, 08:53 PM   #8
Jingle Dancer

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
There's this stuff at party city, or prob. most party supply stores. Its the shiny table skirts, or the curtains. They come in the metallic colors, and are long, tinsel like fringe, but not all stringy,they are thicker. They also come already attatched at the top. I've seen some girls here with that as hair ties, but they cut the bottom of the ribbons so that they arent' so long. I have seen a couple with it on their shawls as well.

MizzQaqimat's Space
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #9
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
You guys have got me thinking! So what about using flagging tape? Or does that look too raggedy? That also looks like it might be kinda fragile.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:54 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

Amanda Big Mountain does. Her outfits are really bright and her ideas and things all go together. I like her and her sisters imaginations. But I wouldn't use it because I don't think it would swing well or flow good. Jut my 2 cents. However I like the way she has used it.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:08 PM   #11
THE ULTIMATE MULTITASKER

oOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 320.00
i seen.......

I once saw this chick from CANADA with fring that looked like she cut a trash bag, It was black, and that stuff was just floating not flying like others, it didn't look heavy enough. It went good with her sequened material shawl thoiugh. But thats just my opinion.
oOoSouthernStyozoOo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

luvs_2_pw is an unknown quantity at this point
that sounds like a cool idea......niimii with the confetti material!! hope it turns out nice:)
luvs_2_pw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2002, 12:50 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Cherry Creek Woman is an unknown quantity at this point
PLease help me.

I am trying to add fringe, to a new shawl.

I am having trouble, getting the fringe,
thru the material. Do you use a needle,
as if sewing it, and then removing the
needle. and then make the knot.

Also, I don't undertand the "knot",
I should tell you::: I have 5 thumbs,
on each hand, [Just kidding]
Cherry Creek Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2002, 12:17 PM   #14
wrapped in ribbonwork!

When tying on individual fringes, I use a tapestry needle. You can also use a yarn needle, anything with an eye big enough. I've heard of people using a crochet hook but have never tried that. I punch the holes into the shawl material with an awl then thread the needle through. I use a simple overhand knot to secure my fringes.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:23 AM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

Back in the day....Aye. I used to use a Tatting Needle. It's a really itty bitty crochet needle. Shoot anymore I would just take some sewers helper stuff that is sticky on both sides, put my fringe on it then pin the sewers helper/fringe down to the shawl and sew away. That is a whole lot faster. Especially if you are using flat fringe. If it is chainette style then yah use the crochet needle/hook thingy's.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:09 AM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

:Thumbs
Thanks, for the help.
I am moving along rather slowly.
But, beginning to get the hang of it.

Hope it is ready for the pow-wow in
Minden, La.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:57 AM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

NDN Princess 2001 is on a distinguished road
I used the crochet hook before. I switched to the needle. The hook left big holes and sometimes made the material snag or run.
When you use a needle, make sure the eye is not too big or you can run into the same thing. Also, I don't use the darning needles if I can get something else. They have a dull point and can also cause problems.
:Angel2

NDN Princess 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2002, 01:53 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

Eagle With White Tail is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, FLAGGING TAPE!!!!! I used that on my last shawl, and I LOVE IT, honestly dont know if I'll ever go back to ribbon again!! It can be a little fragile, at times, but when putting it on, double the length of it, so it's folded at the top, and so it on that way. That way, it's double the strength. Plus, it's HEAVY. So, it sways REALLY good. But, this is just MY opinion. Oh' yeah, my shawl is double sided, two different colors, OFF THE HOOK!!! lol PLus, flagging tape comes in really BRIGHT colors!!!! PM me if you got any questions!!! Or just post a reply here. Well, gotta run.

EWWT
Eagle With White Tail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2002, 04:39 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

Are making references, to the :Flagging Tape-
like along, the side of a road, used in marking
a site, for construction???
If not, I am sorry, it hasn't arrived in our area
yet.
My shawl looks pretty good for a lefty.
See you in Minden, La.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:30 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

Eagle With White Tail is an unknown quantity at this point
EXPENSIVE????? No way!!! Flagging tape is REALLY REALLY CHEAP, that's another reason why I LOVE IT!!! Yeah, I'm referring to the stuff used as markers and often seen on the side of the road. You can find it at LOWE'S , the hardware store, and Home Depot, places like that. You can buy it in one of two different quanities. I think, keyword *THINK* they come in 100 and 20 ft spools. Very NIFTY!!! Anything else??

EWWT
Eagle With White Tail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links