Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose
  • 1 Post By Hamitta Malancha
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Vest and yoke help pleeeease!! Vest and yoke help pleeeease!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
NorthStarz is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 106.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy Vest and yoke help pleeeease!!

I am in desperate need of help and I am sorry if there has been threads about this previously. It's my very first attempt in making an outfit for my sister in law. She is 19 and I have gotten the whole outfit complete except the vest and yoke. I have no idea where to start or how to finish. She specifically wants the vest as thats what she has always worn. What materials do I need, is there a certain way of cutting things to fit properly? Her shawl is a sequin material, the dress is a satin. I have done the appliques on everything the only thing I have left to do is this vest and yoke and I need it to be completed by Friday the 27. Any help or input is greatly appreciated!!! We are kind of on our own, that's why I don't have anyone to reference to. As a child my mother did mine and she is no longer with us, everyone else we have asked if kind of a little too busy to take time to explain it to us. Also if anyone can throw in a little info on what kind of material I need for her leggings that would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
NorthStarz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 AM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,175.91
Savings: 1.00
Shhhh...

BAM!
windanncer likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Thanks JD :)

I feel bad about not replying to this post back in 2013! I hope you got the cape/vest done, NorthStarz.

For any others wondering, you can make the cape/vest out of any material, but it needs to have at least a backing, and perferably something to stiffen it up as well.

You can make a pattern out of an actual vest that fits the person, but just use the front and keep it "connected" in the middle. Use ties or a strap with a buckle or other fastener to keep it in place.

Make a pattern for the cape that connects to the top of the vest part at the shoulders...then make it any shape and size and go from there.

My suggestion is to cut the "foundation" of it from any kind of broad cloth. Apply WonderUnder to the backside of the material that will be showing, making it a little bigger than the pattern and iron it to the foundation...then trim up the edges. If you're going to bead it, bind the raw edges with bias tape, bead it and then add a backing, then bead the edges.

If you're using cloth appliques, ribbons, sequins, whatever...apply the designs (my fav way is with wonderunder then zigzagged), then back it. You can bias tape the edges, or sew the backing on inside out, then flip it, and edge stitch it.

Do the front and back separately, then sew them together at the shoulders.

I'm sure this was clear as mud without pictures, but I'll try to be better about taking pictures of my projects in progress.

Especially things like JD's mocs....
Spiritflight likes this.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,175.91
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Thanks JD :)

I feel bad about not replying to this post back in 2013! I hope you got the cape/vest done, NorthStarz.

For any others wondering, you can make the cape/vest out of any material, but it needs to have at least a backing, and perferably something to stiffen it up as well.

You can make a pattern out of an actual vest that fits the person, but just use the front and keep it "connected" in the middle. Use ties or a strap with a buckle or other fastener to keep it in place.

Make a pattern for the cape that connects to the top of the vest part at the shoulders...then make it any shape and size and go from there.

My suggestion is to cut the "foundation" of it from any kind of broad cloth. Apply WonderUnder to the backside of the material that will be showing, making it a little bigger than the pattern and iron it to the foundation...then trim up the edges. If you're going to bead it, bind the raw edges with bias tape, bead it and then add a backing, then bead the edges.

If you're using cloth appliques, ribbons, sequins, whatever...apply the designs (my fav way is with wonderunder then zigzagged), then back it. You can bias tape the edges, or sew the backing on inside out, then flip it, and edge stitch it.

Do the front and back separately, then sew them together at the shoulders.

I'm sure this was clear as mud without pictures, but I'll try to be better about taking pictures of my projects in progress.

Especially things like JD's mocs....
I'm just glad you got out this informational tutorial in time. You know Friday is the 27th.
windanncer likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, just a year or two late...that's a little under par for me.
Spiritflight likes this.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Hamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant futureHamitta Malancha has a brilliant future
Credits: 2,233.20
You actually did a great job explaining it. It's been awhile for me and now my daughter needs one. Thanks. :)Another year after the fact. Lol!
windanncer likes this.
Hamitta Malancha is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Ready to dance

Great! I'm still needing to remember to take pics as I'm working on stuff.
windanncer likes this.