Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree21Likes
  • 7 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 3 Post By KaliskaWolf
  • 7 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 2 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 1 Post By Broken Arrow
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Work in progess / Regalia Work in progess / Regalia

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
KaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 224.74
Savings: 0.00
Work in progess / Regalia

hi guys,

I'm attending this year's Shakopee PowWow and working on my first regalia made alllll by myself! thought I'd share some pics of what i've done so far, i'm working on the shawl right now, gonna add also a collar that I'm beading, and open to advices if you have any, as it's the first time i do it by myself and might not be able to do it as perfectly as my mom used to

thanks!

KaliskaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101,273.46
Savings: 1.00
Ok. I'll do it.

If you walk into Shakopee, or any other powwow the caliber of Shakopee, they're going to point at you and talk under their breath. You're going to a powwow with Indians with feathers, not a function of Indians with a dot on their foreheads.

That's just truth.

Now, do yourself a favor. Wear jeans and a tshirt. Take a sweater because it will probably be cool at night. When you get there, buy a tshirt with an Indian motif. They won't look at you and whisper under their breath.

I would tell my granddaughter the same thing I'm saying to you. Anger yourself with my words now or reflect on my words when you are there.

JD
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

KaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond reputeKaliskaWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 224.74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Ok. I'll do it.

If you walk into Shakopee, or any other powwow the caliber of Shakopee, they're going to point at you and talk under their breath. You're going to a powwow with Indians with feathers, not a function of Indians with a dot on their foreheads.

That's just truth.

Now, do yourself a favor. Wear jeans and a tshirt. Take a sweater because it will probably be cool at night. When you get there, buy a tshirt with an Indian motif. They won't look at you and whisper under their breath.

I would tell my granddaughter the same thing I'm saying to you. Anger yourself with my words now or reflect on my words when you are there.

JD

Thank you Joe's Dad, my outfit was far from completed (I intended to bead a collar around my shoulders and and broderies to the shawl, add feathers and more jewels and ornaments I have from my nanny), but from what you said I'm just gonna keep the outfit for myself and not wear it at the PowWow. I'm perfectly aware this is not an event for indians with bindi and stuff, my father (lakota and jicarilla) used to lots of PowWow but I don't have him anymore to guide me. So thanks for your advice!
LISA IRONMAKER, WhoMe and subeeds like this.
KaliskaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliskaWolf View Post
Thank you Joe's Dad, my outfit was far from completed (I intended to bead a collar around my shoulders and and broderies to the shawl, add feathers and more jewels and ornaments I have from my nanny), but from what you said I'm just gonna keep the outfit for myself and not wear it at the PowWow. I'm perfectly aware this is not an event for indians with bindi and stuff, my father (lakota and jicarilla) used to lots of PowWow but I don't have him anymore to guide me. So thanks for your advice!
Thanks for understanding my words weren't meant to be harsh.

Even today, when you walk into unfamiliar territory to dance, no matter your experience, there are many eyes on you. If you show you know the ways, or respect the ways, it's much easier to be be accepted. Go enjoy yourself. Dance when offered to dance. Look at the dancers. Even ask questions. But above all else, don't outdo the dancer if it's your first time.

Enjoy yourself.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,692.90
Savings: 2.03
Northern Cree host drum this year at Shakopee, just saying, hehehehe
windanncer and Broken Arrow like this.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:22 AM   #6
Senior Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,777.60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
Northern Cree host drum this year
Sigh, would like to hear them live.
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
Northern Cree host drum this year at Shakopee, just saying, hehehehe
What's up, Lisa Ironmaker. Northern Cree, eh? Years ago, go to sit between Blacklodge and Blackstone, with Northern Cree and Souther Cree on the other side.
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,692.90
Savings: 2.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
What's up, Lisa Ironmaker. Northern Cree, eh? Years ago, go to sit between Blacklodge and Blackstone, with Northern Cree and Souther Cree on the other side.
JD whatcha been doing this summer? up to no good? hehehehe, IKR heck yah jam between all them dope drums. I plan on hitting up Shakopee this yr though cant wait excited, hehehehehe