Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Yoke making Yoke making

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
LumbeeTurtle

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Yoke making

Hos do you make your yoke?
materials and all that i need ur wisdom
:) thanx
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Riverwoman

I have seen on this board, that you can sometimes use a brown paper bag to get your design on. You can then draw, cut and adjust it without any harm to fabric, then transfer that to your cloth, sew it or even "Speed Sew" aiyeee j/k and then you are done. Some may use ribbon on it, or not at all. Mine has gold bias tape for the edgeing, you can get really creative doing things like this:) Hope that helps!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Savings: 0.00
The paper bags are good for coming up with a basic shape for the cape. Once you have it the way you want, trace around it and cut out your backing material. I use a heavy duck cloth or canvas as my base. Cut out the front and back pieces separately and then join together at the shoulders. Bind the edges with bias tape. If doing a cloth yoke, you'll bind the edges after your top fabric layer is attached. For fully beaded or sequined work, I put the binding on before beading as I find it easier than doing it later. Once everything is done, I decorate the back side with ribbon fringe. That's the general way I do it but if you have more specific questions, just ask!
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
old school fool

Items Change User Title
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 748.00
Sheesh!

I think I make it hard on myself! *aye*

I use a light canvas for like "the base" then Ill draw the design right onto it. Ill put whatever colored clothe on the other side, and bead on the side of the clothe, following the design on the back. Did I make any sense?:p Hope so!

For a fully beaded yolk, jus go for it on whatever material you choose, BUT also, Ya gotta make it so that you can put it on your vest or transfer it on. I find its easier to make the pieces seperate *the vest and the yoke* Jus my way I guess!:p
RainyDaze49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

tanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond reputetanksida has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Cape sewing

For my capes, I use a thick felt-like material, then I put the design, whether on paperbag, graphpaper next, and last I put some of that pellon on top, and sew the bias around it. The pellon helps keep it sturdy without tearing the paper to shreds..It tends to be a bit heavier, but not bad...

Whaddyyaa think?
tanksida is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

sweet_apache_onion is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
i am experimenting with a comfortable cloth yoke pattern, as in the shape for it. anyone have tips for that. like a shape that is big enough for the design i want on it and yet not too bulky for when i dance. any help. PLEASE!
Old 02-26-2003, 04:42 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

sweet_apache_onion is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, i was thinking that this would be a hard question. i think i didn't ask it too clear.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #8
Beading Like Crazy

ndnhottie79 is on a distinguished road
One more question

I have a question for anyone.....Ok, I have been doing fancy shawls for a while now, I mean making them, but is there a "standard" for the yokes/capes.
For standard I mean, is there a specific measurement for how wide and long each should be for children,teens, and women?
I see many different lengths but how do you know what will look good? You certainly would want to make a cape 23 inches long if the person is only 5'2" they may set on it..lol.
Anyone have any basic measurements to go by?

thanks ladies
ndnhottie79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
DatLumbeeTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbeeTurtle
Hos do you make your yoke?
materials and all that i need ur wisdom
:) thanx

hey thats me :) i posted that!
but then i forgot my password or sumthin who knows...
but im back again
hate it or love it!
Sponsored Links