Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing after the powwow after the powwow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Savings: 0.00
after the powwow

So I was at the local children's powwow on Friday (it's just one day) And yet here I am, sore & tired & looking forward to the next powwow. I didn't use to feel this tired after, I think it's my sore knees (arthritis) & my sore hips (loose joints) that make me feel so tired for the next few days. OK, OK it might also be the late nights around the campfire but this time it was just one day although I did go to work that night
So my point is what do you all do after the powwow, weather your tired or sore or both.
Suzze
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Keep it Fancy!

indigeniuslove is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 160.30
If there is a hot tub or steam room, or sauna nearby use it! I found all of the above to be great, I always wear "smart shoes" to and after the pow wow, good arch supports and ankle supports, remember to stretch stretch stretch everyday! if all eses fails, use Tiger Balm, or Bengay or whatever brand you choose.
Hmmm, what else I have found is that since I have pronated (flat foot) that it's good to wear flip flops over my moccasins when I'm not dancing even when I'm inside or if it's not raining. Hope this helps! Hope I haven't said anything too obvious :P
hey and I'm on here becasue I am goin all around this year, and have been looking and reading this formum watchin videos etc.
Keep them fringes snappin!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
SuzzeQ4, I'm sure you have some nice thick padded moccasin insoles to help absorb some of the shock to help spare the knees and hips. If you don't, I reccomend buying quality ones and changing them out once a year. Even so, you can still get sore from dancing and wearing heavy regalia even with double king-size Postur-pedics on each foot. For that, I think the best thing is prevention- being in good physical shape along with weight training so that you have strong muscles supporting your joints. For the soreness that happens in spite of it all, there's alway aspirin, rest and plenty of water. And of course, ask hubby for a massage!
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
All great idea's, I like the massage & I wish there was a hot tub or something nearby...LOL. The nicest addition I got this year was that I made some insoles for my moc's out of sheep skin with all that nice thick fur on it...so comfy, all though it's a bit on the warm side.
I don't weight train but I do do exersizes recommended by my physiotherapist. And I do stretch, & I get the kids to do so also.

Now I just need to know more about these powwows that got them hot tubs near by!!

The other thing is something I don't do. I don't swim in any nearby lakes after the powwow if the lake is cold, and up here during May & June & then again sometimes in August evenings, & always in September (Ok that's most of the powwow season up here...lol) the lakes tend to be chilly, I know alot of people that do go swim in the evenings but I just worry about the cold water on tired muscles. Maybe I'm worried about nothing or just wimpy about cold water...lol I don't know
Old 06-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
buckskin momma

nascarboys3 is just really nice
Credits: 272.00
What a great idea! I wear orthotics inside my regular shoes, but never thought of putting anything in my mocs. And my feet kill me by the end of a powwow! I am going to try this next time!!!
nascarboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
the mocs I made for Tainee have the Doc Scholl's "gellin'" inserts. They are also lined and inside the lining I used 3/8" quilt batting. She says they are like walking on air :-)

As for the aches 'n pains - stretch, warm up the muscles before exercise.

For joint pain:

Use a heating pad or hot water bottle on the joints BEFORE exercise. Even a towel wet with hot water and wrung out will help.

AFTER - cold - ice packs, towels dipped in cold water and wrung out, cool shower or bath. Anything that will help keep the swelling in joints down. Don't go from being very active to being really still - cool down a bit by moving around, stretching etc.

Anti-inflammatory drugz will help - Motrin, Aleve, etc. Be careful with the Ben Gay or other sports cremes. They can get into your system. Last month a young girl who was in field and track died from absorbing too much of the active ingrediants of sports cremes into her system.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
There's also, after the dance, my rather ubiquitous excellent cigar along with sipping a single-malt scotch.

Seems to have fine impact on any ills that I may feel.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Keep it Fancy!

Oh yeah! I use Dr Scholl's gel insoles in my moccs too, they felt so good the first time I wore them they even tickled and I laughed when I was dancing! I haven't danced at a pow wow without them since (that was a bunch of years ago)
I also always wrap both of my ankles in lace up braces, I have ankle problems from so many sprains and probably from having flat feet too so I find this is a good prevantative measure.
Wow I didn't know about benGay and stuff like that! Good to know thanks for posting that. I use it in dire situations after dancing when the floor is terrible, or dancing at a cooooold pow wow or something.

Another thing my cousin who's a nurse told me is that if you drink warm water with a bit of salt in it it will help your muscles relax, I tried it and it worked!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
There's also, after the dance, my rather ubiquitous excellent cigar along with sipping a single-malt scotch.

Seems to have fine impact on any ills that I may feel.
That's cuz yer still a youngun'
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigeniuslove View Post
Another thing my cousin who's a nurse told me is that if you drink warm water with a bit of salt in it it will help your muscles relax, I tried it and it worked!
That's got to be hard to swallow but I think I'll try it. Another thing I was told not to drink the water while it's still ice cold from the cooler, hard to resist but apparently the coldness is to different from our body temp. But I do drink my water before it gets hot.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #11
Keep it Fancy!

Yeah it was pretty gross but it was worth it because I was in pretty rough shape after dancing on a really really bad arbor floor all weekend.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,447.42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
So my point is what do you all do after the powwow
~49~
Then go home and tend to my sore, tired body.
Mud_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

tcumonster is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 529.41
Keep in mind that I would fly this past your physician first, but having dealt with college and professional athletes for several years, here are some thoughts.

Ice actually works better for you post activity as it slows down the body's natural inflammation process that is brought on my the exercise and stresses that you place upon your body while dancing. A warm shower the morning after (especially if you are going to dance that day as well) will help loosen up your muscles that have tightened up overnight.

Drinking plenty of fluids (water, Gatorade, etc) before the weekend's dance will help pre-hydrate yourself. As we all know, keep drinking the fluids during the weekend as well. Limit the amount of coffee, tea, and sodas that you drink as they don't do much for you in regards to hydration (but they often keep you going )

Here's the part that I would discuss with your physician. In the past, I have taken an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory (Advil, Tylenol, Aleve) before a long weekend. Taken before the dance will get a loading dose in your system and taking it throughout the weekend may help as well. Keep in mind that you will need to drink plenty of fluids as these can be tough on your liver and kidneys if you get dehydrated.

True story...was at a dance this weekend and was giving some friends a hard time about being old. Part of the way through a set, I had a massive cramp in my quads (yep, both) and was worried I wasn't going to be able to sit on the bench and then get back up. Last time I pick on anyone's age.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by tcumonster; 10-10-2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: more thoughts...
tcumonster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
So my point is what do you all do after the powwow, weather your tired or sore or both.
Suzze

Suz,

Tired or sore or both, I get in the car and drive for hours to get home. When I get out of the car, I am super sore from being in a cramped car.

I usually get home at a late hour, unpack the essentials and get a few hours sleep before it's time to go to work.