PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Buckskin Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f25/)
-   -   Cherokee Buckskin regalia ?? (http://forums.powwows.com/f25/cherokee-buckskin-regalia-40727/)

nascarboys3 09-16-2007 01:19 PM

Cherokee Buckskin regalia ??

I have a question for all of you. I am a traditional buckskin dancer and I am revamping my outfit. I want my outfit to represent more of my heritage as well as my own personal style. I am Eastern Band Cherokee and am having a very difficult time finding any pics or information on their dress patterns/styles other than the tear dress which is what I did have before my buckskin. I live in the Northwest and right now my style is sorta based on the styles from the area. Does anyone have any pics of Cherokee buckskin dresses or know where I can get some or websites that have pics of them?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Ellie

Cheshire Cat 09-16-2007 04:06 PM

Taditionally you will not find a leather dress. Now if you want to go real traditional...leather skirt and no top. That is very early. Today most the ladies dress in Southern or Northern style...except for some dances in the East....and I do not know where they got those dresses.:hypnotize

nascarboys3 09-16-2007 04:09 PM

Thanks, do you have a source for your info that I can further research the "skirt, no top" design?

eap7 09-16-2007 05:17 PM

You're not seriously interested in making a skirt, no top outfit are you?

Pvt Butter 09-16-2007 09:52 PM

holay - when I was a little girl my parents took us to a california powwow and two women danced topless. They wore grass skirts, baskets on their heads and working very long hair to cover where there should have been at least bikini tops. I was only about 6 years old. I couldn't help but stare...

Wojapi4Me 09-17-2007 08:54 AM

Contact the Museum of the Cherokee Indian in Cherokee, NC and they'll help you - providing you're a tribal member - with the pattern for the official cloth dress of the EBCI. It was approved last year and is a pattern for a 1750s era dress...EBCI members, please correct me if my dates are off. But, this dress is older than the tear dress...not buckskin, but it's what is being worn now by EBCI members.

Okwataga 09-17-2007 02:00 PM

yep Wojapi4me, you are correct in what you say
supposed to be 1700's era... WOOL skirt, matchcoat, leggins and a linen shirt....
best bet to call the Museum or email

Kiwehnzii 09-17-2007 07:25 PM

Taditionally you will not find a leather dress. Now if you want to go real traditional...leather skirt and no top. That is very early.

really tradish.
All native people didn't have any cloth til the traders came.

Do the buckskin bottom with no top. Very tradish...... no one could dispute the traditionalism.

waleli 09-18-2007 01:22 PM

Interesting article on Cherokee clothing here -
Cherokee clothes, Cherokee clothing. tear dress

Kakeeya 09-27-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii (Post 967620)
Taditionally you will not find a leather dress. Now if you want to go real traditional...leather skirt and no top. That is very early.

really tradish.
All native people didn't have any cloth til the traders came.

Do the buckskin bottom with no top. Very tradish...... no one could dispute the traditionalism.

I agree with Ki:character:indian_br

Just as I agree that all men should start dancing really tradish and start dancing slick....:lol:

McIntyre 01-06-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascarboys3 (Post 967073)
I have a question for all of you. I am a traditional buckskin dancer and I am revamping my outfit. I want my outfit to represent more of my heritage as well as my own personal style. I am Eastern Band Cherokee and am having a very difficult time finding any pics or information on their dress patterns/styles other than the tear dress which is what I did have before my buckskin. I live in the Northwest and right now my style is sorta based on the styles from the area. Does anyone have any pics of Cherokee buckskin dresses or know where I can get some or websites that have pics of them?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Ellie

Hi, Iím also Cherokee and dance Southern Buckskin. Iíve been reading a lot lately and researching photos. Iíve read that the Cherokee were once part of the Iroquois but separated moving south all a part of the Eastern Woodland Indians. If we look at Eastern Woodlands regalia there are some amazing beading, bandoliers, beaded top hats, strap dresses and more. This of course is before the tear dress. Cheers Pam