Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing Is it Cloth or is it Buckskin? Is it Cloth or is it Buckskin?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 AM   #1
Powwow Cheese Magnet

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Twobraidzz is on a distinguished road
Credits: 70.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Is it Cloth or is it Buckskin?

OK ladies,, this has been asked before but now I have seen even more of it,, If you are dancing buckskin shouldnt your dress at least have some leather somewhere on the dress?
I just went to a Powwow and was watching the contesting in Buckskin and there was this one woman who was wearing what I thought was leather upon a closer look I noticed her entire dress was cloth including her fringe,,, her fringe was ribbons, her leggings and mocs were material as well, :NoNo now I have a dress that the top is part material but my fringe and the whole dress underneath is all leather,, my mocs are leather as well,So if it looks like a buckskin dress but isnt do you still dance in the Buckskin catagory? I totally understand the affordability of making a dress of all buckskin and the time it takes, but wouldnt this make me appreciate it more in the long run? Ok now that I said all that my question is "Is it really fair to enter a buckskin catagory with absoulutely no buckskin on the dress anywhere?

Never underestimate the power of an Indian Woman.
Twobraidzz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
My question is - did she place? If I was a judge I would not have placed her at all since clearly she dancing in the wrong category.

I'll even go one step further, I think if your gonna dance in a Buckskin category one should have a full bucksin dress. Those who only have a buckskin bottom and cloth top should still dance with the cloth category.

Just my two cents worth
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Powwow Cheese Magnet

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolNDN
My question is - did she place? If I was a judge I would not have placed her at all since clearly she dancing in the wrong category.

I'll even go one step further, I think if your gonna dance in a Buckskin category one should have a full bucksin dress. Those who only have a buckskin bottom and cloth top should still dance with the cloth category.

Just my two cents worth

Okkkk .... that was a good two cents worth. :explode: LIKE BAMM TO THE POINT, BUT what about the women who bead the entire top on Canvas, and you cant tell unless you go up to them and lift their tops,, I dont think the judges are going to do that now are they?

You know alot has been mentioned in the past about the affordability of the leather, some women use ultra suede, some use partial material some bead on Canvas,,, and some even use COW, I dont think I mind to much if they have to use a little bit of different materials but COME ON now the entire dress!!! Not even her Mocs were leather, That just didnt seem right to me. And you know what I dont know if she placed or not,,, I dont think I wanted to find out, it was sorta disullusional.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
We don't dance for money up here; but in Oregon where I grew up, they contest. I think if the category is buckskin, your dress should be mainly comprised of that material. Cloth dresses should not be made to look like "traditional buckskin" dresses. What's the point in making something to fool others or to get away with competing in the wrong category. The judges should make sure people dance in the right category; if a woman still wants to dance, she should be allowed, but not judged. Also, I think a woman should be judged mostly on their dancing and participation, and less on their regalia anyhow.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Powwow Cheese Magnet

:rainbw:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamathdancer
We don't dance for money up here; but in Oregon where I grew up, they contest. I think if the category is buckskin, your dress should be mainly comprised of that material. Cloth dresses should not be made to look like "traditional buckskin" dresses. What's the point in making something to fool others or to get away with competing in the wrong category. The judges should make sure people dance in the right category; if a woman still wants to dance, she should be allowed, but not judged. Also, I think a woman should be judged mostly on their dancing and participation, and less on their regalia anyhow.
You made a GREAT point there .

(I think a woman should be judged mostly on their dancing and participation, and less on their regalia anyhow.)

I have seen some dress's that are so Fuu Fuu and so Gliterry and so much done to them it almost looks like Miss Ndn Mr. T.out there! :chief:
Now dont get me wrong some of this is absoulutely beautiful, and hopefully the judges are not blinded by all that sparkle and cannot see with the glare in there eyes and miss the beautiful dancing, I was once at a powwow where there was so much sparkle in the contesting that I swear I needed sunglass's and it was at night!! :sunny!: But my attention was caught by this one woman who was in a simple dress , and was dancing beautifully :indian1: and it was she who caught my eye, sad to say she didnt even place. And as for the participation well I have noticed that some do not even dance except when the contesting begins, I knew someone who was not placed because of that to!

Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
I was taught that when you plan to contest; always put your assigned number on your shawl, during the whole powwow. This ensures that you will be noticed by anyone who might be a judge; you never know, alot of them don't have "judge" stamped on their foreheads. The main thing though, is to carry yourself well at all times, at all events. Also, I believe it's a real shame if people are there just for contest money, and nothing else. Dancing is so much more than that, at least to me.

Last edited by WocusWoman; 04-06-2004 at 03:36 PM..
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

I was waiting for you to put this address on this thread; it does belong here too! Everyone should have a good look at these dresses, so they can email the gal and special order one too... http://www.whitefeatherdesign.com/women.htm
Old 04-06-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
You're kidding right?
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #9
Powwow Cheese Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya
You're kidding right?
I think its called Sarcasm... :rainbw:

Sponsored Links