Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing Graceful sway of buckskin fringes Graceful sway of buckskin fringes

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
prettysmile:) is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 963.84
Savings: 0.00
Graceful sway of buckskin fringes

Hello...I have a question and forgive me for not knowing, but how do you make your fringe sway back and forth and not side to side when dancing? I dance southern buckskin and traveled to a few pow wows this summer with my new regalia. I was told by an elder aunt that the proper way to sway your fringe is back and forth. For some reason, I have the hardest time doing this and it ends up going side to side, although I think this looks nice when it is graceful.
My fringe is long and I am thinking that shorter fringe will help the graceful back and forth sway...
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness"
William Arthur Ward

Last edited by prettysmile:); 07-17-2012 at 01:04 AM..
prettysmile:) is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Southern Women's

tonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond repute
tonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,837.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettysmile:) View Post
Hello...I have a question and forgive me for not knowing, but how do you make your fringe sway back and forth and not side to side when dancing? I dance southern buckskin and traveled to a few pow wows this summer with my new regalia. I was told by an elder aunt that the proper way to sway your fringe is back and forth. For some reason, I have the hardest time doing this and it ends up going side to side, although I think this looks nice when it is graceful.
My fringe is long and I am thinking that shorter fringe will help the graceful back and forth sway...
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Truthfully...I've danced southern buckskin my whole life...The front to back is the new contemporary style...the side to side is an older style, which I dance...I do find it hard to compete front to back...and the sleeves make all the difference...the front to back is because the sleeves stop after the elbow...the side to side is the best...and no, you shouldn't be ashamed to ask questions about that...good luck to ya
tonepahhoter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

prettysmile:) is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 963.84
Hello tonepahoter1. Thanks so much for your reply, I didn't know that the back to back sway is more contemporary and that it makes a difference in the sleeves. That explains it! my sleeves stop right at the elbow. I also agree that it is hard to compete with the back and forth sway. Wow, this is good to know. Appreciate it!

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness"
William Arthur Ward
prettysmile:) is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links