Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing How do you make a buckskin dress?? How do you make a buckskin dress??

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2002, 10:08 PM   #21
Southern Buckskin

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
buckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
Savings: 0.00
Oh Hi!!
I'm glad we drug this thread up again..I liked it way back when it was first started!
You just need to pull the skirt up from about your hips to kind of near your waist, so that you are sitting on the part that hangs loose around your lower thighs. You know...where it is kind of more A-Lined so that you are not pulling on the part that is already more a little more snug..around your butt. When you stand up it should just drop and you can shake it (the dress, or whatever) a little till it hangs right again. I hope that makes sense.
Kind of like a Jingle dancer, but not that high at all.
buckskinlady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2002, 10:43 PM   #22
Gourd Dancer

MuzeBl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 20.00
I just got some white German tanned buckskins from Crazy Crow. I did the stretch part...I think it's ok, but it seems it might stretch some more....or maybe it really didn't need stretching at all?

Has anyone worked with the German tanned buckskins from Crazy Crow?
Old 03-19-2002, 08:27 AM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Has anyone worked with the German tanned buckskins from Crazy Crow? [/B][/QUOTE]

My sister made her new Comanche boots from these hides. She was pleased with the way they worked. She's an excellent crafts person and knows her "stuff," so when she says she liked something...it's good. She said the beading was easy too. She's had the boots for a couple of years, they've even been soaked (love them powwows when it rains :2: ) and they still look new.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #24
Gourd Dancer

Oooohhh!! I'm getting happy now..

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
Old 03-22-2002, 12:07 PM   #25
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Those German tanned hides are nice. I also have some lightly smoked braintan and have held them side by side. They look identical. They feel similar although the German hide is heavier and denser. Beading on it isn't as easy as on braintan but I didn't have any major difficulty either. I give the stuff a two thumbs up.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2002, 06:01 PM   #26
Jingle Dress Retiree

JingleBelle is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used the german tanned hides on my daughters mocs and felt that they had a little too much stretch compared to a regular hide. They are awesome to bead on though. Any comments Cara? I would like to usse them for mocs for my self but I'm scared that they will stretchtoo much.
JingleBelle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2002, 10:45 PM   #27
Southern Buckskin

buckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond reputebuckskinlady has a reputation beyond repute
I am so not impressed with any hide from Crazy Crow, that I just didn't want to comment. I tried them just for fun one time and in total desparation another time and wound up with the worst excuses for buckskin and elk I had ever seen (I didn't want to go on a rant here and now you got me started). No, it's just that, no other tannery that I have worked with calls their stuff German tanned and it has been explained to me that a lot of the stuff that is out there that people are calling hand tanned or Indian tanned is just split buckskin. Very light weight and too thin in spots. No one is going to go through that whole process of hand tanning hides and then sell them to Crazy Crow so cheaply, that you can then buy them for $4/sq foot after Crazy Crow makes their profit. Good hand tanned cost a lot for a good reason.
Me personally, I use commercially tanned hides, but they are the best that money can buy. They are hand-picked for me by people I have been working with for about ten years, and I am really sorry, but I won't tell anybody where I get them. (Remember, it is what I do for a living) But I also spend over $1,000 a month on hides, so I get quite a few and then when I have to make a dress or leggings, then I can pick through them and find the right hide for the different parts of my pattern and make sure they match and all that stuff. I have used some commercial "brain tan" that was really beautiful!!
Old 04-01-2002, 11:03 PM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

Heals the Wild is an unknown quantity at this point
Buckskinlady, I just visited your web site and your work is absolutely incredible! I have always admired all your answers to every post you've replied too and am inspired to become better at all the things I'm trying to make.

Thanks for all your knowledge!
http://www.stormpages.com/skyespirit

We live together...or not at all - Care for Mother Earth and all her children.
Heals the Wild is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2002, 11:17 PM   #29
Gourd Dancer

Well, I ain't got THAT kinda budget. Since I'm doing it myself, maybe it's better this way. I have to learn, best to do it with something I can afford.
I'm also learning to tan hides myself. Maybe after the 3 skins my brother sent me, I'll be good enough to do it myself next year when I can get more hides.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:03 AM   #30
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
Buckskinlady,

Do you do all your own beadwork or do the ladies the dresses are made for do their own? Just curious ...and is that included in the price of the dress?
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2002, 11:40 AM   #31
Southern Buckskin

Heals the Wild... I am humbled by your praise. Thank you!

Muze Bl...I didn't realize I was spending that much on hides until I had to do my income tax! I use the deposits from the Buckskin Dress orders to purchase the hides...so I don't get to keep the hides...it all goes into the dresses I make! If you can just buy a couple at a time, that's fine..just make sure that they match!
I think we talked about waiting for good hides earlier on this thread or on another thread.

Luvstraightdancers...No, I don't do all the beadwork myself. A lot of people do their own or their family or other people do it for them, I have some real close friends who are excellent beadworkers that do a lot, my Mother used to do some, my Mother-in-Law and sister-in-law do some too. No one, but no one cuts or sews the buckskin except me.
The basic buckskin price for an adult is $1250 and then I charge for the beadwork according to what they want and how much they want. Leggings and purse and crowns are separate (not part of the dress price). The only thing that I do not do on the purse is the medallion.. I leave that to a couple of really talented people who do it quickly and beautifully.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:34 PM   #32
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Will PM you when I'm ready.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2002, 12:12 PM   #33
Someone who's posted alot

nativewife has a reputation beyond repute
nativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond repute
Okay!! My turn to sound like a dumb.... butt. Can someone please explain to me why we shouldn't use a sewing machine to sew buckskin dresses? I am just curious. Especially since you guys were so adamant about it.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #34
Downstream People

ogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
ogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 439.14
There has been alot of good advice here. You definitely need to whip stitch the sides of your skirt. If you want you can leave a small area at the top unsewn. Then you can put a tie at the top. It makes it a little easier to slide up past the hips. I was a taught by Pauline Whitebird that you need to stretch your skins out before you ever cut them. They will never stretch on you then as you work on them or wear them. Most people I know wear the slick side out. I don't see too many people with the fuzzy side out. My dress is made that way and I have never had a problem with beads slipping or anything else. I guess it all depends on where you live!
ogapahndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2002, 11:27 AM   #35
Southern Buckskin

I'm really surprised Ogapahndn...I have only seen one dress with the slick side out! Every other dress I have ever seen (in the Southern Plains and on people from out of state) has the "fuzzy" side out.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:39 AM   #36
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
Cara is right, ALWAYS fuzzy or sueded side out ! That is the way I work and it's what I see done.
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2002, 05:11 PM   #37
Downstream People

ogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
ogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 439.14
Hmmm... guess I'll have to pay more attention. It's been awhile since I went around and checked out buckskins. Maybe it depends on the tribe. Don't know. All I know of is what I have seen growing up! I know a few years back some people started using the fuzzy side out. But they said they preferred slick side out like on their old buckskins. Like I said, maybe it depends on the tribe or where you live!
ogapahndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #38
Pow Wow Visitor

tnativeproud@netzero is on a distinguished road
Question tnativeproud

hay why in the world do you want to dance northern when you already dance southern?check out your history for your tribal nation. then if you are for real and not a wanabie I will send you the true pattern, for what you ask.undefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayita16
Hey i do southern cloth tradtional but i want to make a buckskin dress. Like with the top part of it being cloth and it being decorated and the bottom being buckskin. I hope ya'll understand what i am trying to say. I want to know what i need to make it besides the buckskin lol. Like how i make it, what do i use etc. If anyone would please reply to this i would appreciate it b/c i have no idea how to make a buckskin dress.

wado
~Ayita~:Angel: :Chatter :devil
tnativeproud@netzero is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #39
Pow Wow Visitor

Star Allison is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Buckskin dress making

Hey, I appreciated reading honest teachings of making a buckskin dress, Im planning to work on my own, soon enough and im just gathering information. thanks so much carla, and others that have the experiences, and lessons to watch for when working the needle, beading and crafting beautiful work. thanks.
star
Star Allison is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #40
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,250.70
Gonna take a stab at making my daughter's buckskin dress sometime this summer. I finally ordered the hide I need (she's still tiny), so hopefully everything will work out the way I want it. Gotta do lots of praying before I start.