Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing I want to Dance Northern Traditional, but need some info!! I want to Dance Northern Traditional, but need some info!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
* me *

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I want to Dance Northern Traditional, but need some info!!

Im interested in dancing northern traditional, I know the stories and the legends, But I need some help making my regalia. Perhaps starting with a cloth style would be better. Please contact me with some helpful hints.

Miigwech
ojibwayjingle85 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I'm assuming you are wanting to switch from Jingle dancing? I definately would make a cloth dress first, and get started dancing with that to see if you really like ladies tradish. My daughter finds it to be too slow for her; and has had a hard time switching from fancy dancing. If you feel you like it; then invest your time and money into a buckskin dress with beaded yoke. I had traditional cloth dresses up until I was 16 years old. After that my granny let me borrow a buckskin, and then when I graduated from high-school I made my own deerhide dress, which I have changed, but still have and use.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
* me *

ojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant futureojibwayjingle85 has a brilliant future
Information Give

Thanks WocusWomen for the information. It has inspired a few thoughts that I have now taken into consideration. Im wondering how much material Im going to need for starting? Would you have any more adivice to that?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
I made my last cloth dress out of less than 4 yards; I used my quilting and applique skills in adding designs onto the dress. I used coordinating fabrics and ribbon also to make it look a lot more colorful and interesting. If you already own a good shawl, I would consider trying to match your new dress to that; if not you'll need to get additional fabric to make a matching shawl.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Good responses WW

I also suggest that you ask some of your Anishinaabe sisters because I know a lot of them that dance women's traditional at powwows. There are some very good powwows over your way and some friendly people.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Hi ojibwayjingle85,

I also recommend, that when you make your accessories (hairties, belt etc.) and you start with cloth, consider a design you really love.
Then you can make a buckskin dress to fit this design and can save time and money.

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
yeah. I've been dancing cloth for about six years now. Actually thinkin about moving onto buckskin. But if you need any help. Just ask. Or im me. what ever. I'm here all the time. And im more than willing to help a sista out. Sometimes it can get a little confusing. ya knoe.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
* me *

Im stuck on my cape

Okay Ladies, Im stuck on my cape... I have a design ready to put on it, But I need to know how I make the cape..
Is is just a GIANT Rectangle to my fitting , or is there a more of a shape to it?

Write me back ladies...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

Caroline is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 160.00
The cape can be any shape you like. I suggest cutting the shape you want out of an inexpensive piece of cloth to try out and get the size etc right. You can then use this as a pattern.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Banned

AngieBuns is a glorious beacon of light
I would suggest that you draw out your pattern on a paper bag, or some other piece of paper, then you could cut it, and not have to worry about any mistakes, untill you the shape/style you are looking for.

Also you may want to check your nations photographs, which may or may not be in the archives, and go that route, to get an idea of the style from your people if that is what you are looking for.
AngieBuns is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
* me *

Information Given

Thanks alot Ladies...

Its all starting to come together now. It has helped me alot.

Now...Some one told me for cheep fringe, to use vineyl? White stuff? LOL

Any hints?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

I have seen the vinyl used for fringes. It looked ok from a distance. It was the upholstery vinyl that you can get at walmart. It was a light cream color. The weight was good so the fringes sway nicely. Narrow satin ribbon looks nice but is too light to get the fringes really snapping. I have seen ultra suede used too. It looked very close to white deer hide- even up close- But it was also too light to get the fringes to snap. I think there is no really good substitute for good ol deer hide.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:50 AM   #13
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

NO PLEASE, Do not use vinyl, it looks like well,"vinyl!" If your gonna take the time on a northern cape with beading and everything, use hide, at very least for the fringes.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
* me *

Smile

Well, the reason I was asking about vynel was for a few good reasons. Im from northern ontario, not really able to access good flashy material. Its hot here. lol.. and Ive dont have lots of money to spend on regalia at the moment...
But thanks Wocus Women for the advice anyway...

Keep em comming ladies
Old 02-20-2005, 04:21 AM   #15
Powwow dancer

ndngirl_19 will become famous soon enough
Talking N. Style

As the previous ladies suggested, it does look better w/ buckskin hide. But it really all depends on what style of dance your going to dance too! Are you going to dance sioux style (stationary) or N. graceful/shuffle style. I am from the northwest so we dance around the arena to show our style. To fringe your top it depends if your going ot do only the ends or all the way around. The ends could take from 2-3 hides to fringe. Well good luck on your dress and see u out on the powwow trail!

Last edited by ndngirl_19; 02-20-2005 at 04:26 AM..
ndngirl_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #16
Banned

AngieBuns is a glorious beacon of light
Go with deerhide! Atleast go with that expense, and maybe have a cloth top and bottom? Nothing wrong with that! :)
AngieBuns is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

Make your dress with the best materials you can afford. If you have no dress you probably won't dance so go for it. If you use a cheaper material for the fringes make it so they can be replaced with buckskin when you can afford it. The important thing is that you dance!
just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #18
* me *

Cutting corners

Im trying to cut corners, and use different materials to do my applique...
So what do people think of heatnbond. I also debated using material paint? I can get the colors and the glue in one.
I think as long as it looks good? Its gotta be okay? LOL

Ps. Im still trying to hunt down a deer for that hyde.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #19
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

I think doing a fabric top is fine as long as the work is done very cleanly. I use iron-on interfacing before cutting any appliques, then I make sure and satin stitch everything down with care.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #20
* me *

The Vynel Queen!!!

Im just so Thankful that im short LOL
Im 5'2 and debating on the length of the fringe.
Well, I have a general Idea. Unfortunately ladies, I have to go with the vynel. I know it looks crappy ,but,it has to be done.
Sponsored Links