Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing Southern or Northern Style? Southern or Northern Style?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
**Happy Feet**

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redberries is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Southern or Northern Style?

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine and I, are debating on the proper steps that define and differ Southern and Northern Women traditional steps.

Now this is not our category, hence the debate…

As far as I was taught, Southern style is “flat foot” small steps, with knees bent all the time while the bust is held high and motionless, this creating the bobbing motion. The shawl being the focus of the swaying as usually there is no fringes or short ones… Honoring the drum is done by bowing deep (with or without holding the fan out).
I never danced Northern, so I am not sure, but my friend told me that it was done with small toe/heel steps, knees bent and bust held back and chest pushed forward (helps posture with heavy long breastplates). The honoring of the drum was done by bowing your head slightly. Very dignified. No fan being hold up. The swaying was done with the long fringing .

Now…. We have seen some dancers with Northern regalias doing what I just described as Southern steps and vice-versa. Which is very confusing to us both. And we end up having non-stop conversations about it. We have approached older dancers from both sides and were told that the above descriptions were correct. So, why some dancers are crossing over from one regalia to another without changing their steps? Or is it now something that contest dancing is changing and, this, is just a case of intertribal evolution…? But this is another debate (!!).

Last edited by redberries; 08-27-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: I did not like the font chosen
redberries is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Well, you hadn't even addressed the West coast-East coast differences. I'm a dancer from the Northwest, and do not agree with half of what you stated.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Aint Dat Sumptin?

Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
hhhmmm, that IS a tuffy. because there are so many different tribal styles. It's a broad question, and I guess the debate will go on FOREVER...lol.

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."
Dat1NdnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
**Happy Feet**

Hello Wocus Woman

Wocus Woman, I meant no disrespect for the West/East Coast difference for I have the greatest respect towards the traditional ladies.
You have raised an issue I would like to follow through with your help. Would you mind explaining me the difference between the two costal heritages?
None of the dancers we approached mentioned that at all.
As I said in my first post, it looked very confusing to us when we tried to understand the steps. Maybe it is down to that.
Or we did not understand what we were explained, either way if we are not told, we cannot learn the difference. We assumed there was only a difference between North and South. Not East and West.
Thank you.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
**Happy Feet**

Hello Dat1NdnGuy

Very true, but at least if I could get the basic steps classified as “Southern” or “Northern” it would help us understand the dance better, and truthfully admire the skills of a good dancer, when we see one.
Thanks anyways.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
So the northern style is different depending on tribal style? nice to know.

I'm from Oklahoma. We all dance pretty much the same steps southern style. There's slight variation (personal taste/flair) but u can definitely identify southern dancing.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
beader and grandmother

thunderbirdwoman is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 200.00
Wink southern or northern style

I believe that it is the dancers privilge to dance her own style no disrespect but all tribal groups have their own rendition and that's fine we all are blessed with the defining fact that we are all very powerful women and we should respect ourselves in life and dance. i dance ladies northern traditional but use a southern type of regalia i choose to because of the dreams that accommpany the use of the regalia. my twin daughters dance and each is individual shawna dances straight northern traditional and is stationary with the fast bending of the knees to the beat of the drum and less fringe sway. shannon dances aggresively with the walking and chest out and head high and bending the knees as she walks and yes her shawl is more in sway but just a slight tilt of her head when honouring the drum. in any event the sight of all these beautiful women in dance is breath taking, enjoy and give tabacco to the dancer and thank her for such a beautiful dance and then ask about the origin of her style.
thunderbirdwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
**Happy Feet**

Thumbs up Thunderbirdwoman

Thank you very much for this insight on Northern steps and for sharing your own experience. It helped understand the Northern side of things. I have approached a Choctaw Elder I know. She does not dance very much anymore because of her knees. But she was really pleased to have someone asking her about the Southern steps.
I gave her tobbaco. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberries View Post
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine and I, are debating on the proper steps that define and differ Southern and Northern Women traditional steps.

As far as I was taught, Southern style is “flat foot” small steps, with knees bent all the time while the bust is held high and motionless, this creating the bobbing motion. The shawl being the focus of the swaying as usually there is no fringes or short ones… Honoring the drum is done by bowing deep (with or without holding the fan out).
I never danced Northern, so I am not sure, but my friend told me that it was done with small toe/heel steps, knees bent and bust held back and chest pushed forward (helps posture with heavy long breastplates). The honoring of the drum was done by bowing your head slightly. Very dignified. No fan being hold up. The swaying was done with the long fringing .

Now…. We have seen some dancers with Northern regalias doing what I just described as Southern steps and vice-versa. Which is very confusing to us both. And we end up having non-stop conversations about it. We have approached older dancers from both sides and were told that the above descriptions were correct. So, why some dancers are crossing over from one regalia to another without changing their steps? Or is it now something that contest dancing is changing and, this, is just a case of intertribal evolution…? But this is another debate (!!).
As a Northern Traditional dancer for almost 20 years, I have never done the "head bowing" thing, and there are certain times and REASONS for raising a fan. Also, not all Northern Dancers walk..that is a whole style all its own. ALOT of Northern dancers are stationary, and again, for several different reasons. I think to fully flesh out your debate, and not have it become so Divisive, as it seems to becoming, rapidly, in here, you need consider entire range of aspects, all the tribes, and take into consideration the different styles of outfits (cloth or buckskin dresses with or without fringe), and never forget the individual tastes and experiences of the dancers. This should never be a North/South debate. That is to narrow, and negates alot of people, styles, tribes, and traditions.
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
beader and grandmother

thunderbirdwoman is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 200.00
northern southern dance style

respectfully agree with all and i believe i tried to state that the origin of the style of dance is the perspective of the lady doing the dance with time it is my belief that we all dance to the same drum beat debates should be fun and respecting each others individuality
thunderbirdwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Northern traditional is a hard contest to judge.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
**Happy Feet**

Smile Thank you very much!!

Thank you Lakota Wiyan. I am feeling very humbled by your statement. First because it is making me realize how full of meaning each dancer's outfit/dance and representation of that dance has.
I never danced buckskin as I was drawn by dreams to perform in Jingle. But, if in old age even the most dignified and subtle jingling hurts, I was thinking of retiring as a Northern dancer.
Having discussed this with you all, I think that I will wait and listen to whatever is being told to me.
It is yet again, obvious to me, that tribal heritage, spirituality and individuality leads you to your path as it is chosen for you not the other way around.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and address the issue with me.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thank you Lakota Wiyan. I am feeling very humbled by your statement. First because it is making me realize how full of meaning each dancer's outfit/dance and representation of that dance has.
I never danced buckskin as I was drawn by dreams to perform in Jingle. But, if in old age even the most dignified and subtle jingling hurts, I was thinking of retiring as a Northern dancer.
Having discussed this with you all, I think that I will wait and listen to whatever is being told to me.
It is yet again, obvious to me, that tribal heritage, spirituality and individuality leads you to your path as it is chosen for you not the other way around.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and address the issue with me.
Redberries, what a Lady you are! I'm glad you took my comments in the way they were intended, not to criticize, but just to gently pull you back a few steps to see the whole picture. I'm sure your dignity and grace translate well in your dancing as well!

Oh and just a note of caution..if you think jingle dress dancing is hard...try repetitive movement, bending of the knees, or exercising control over exact foot steps, while trying to maintain upper body control with your shawl or fringe! Traditional dancing isn't something you retire to!! Its a bit harder and strenuous than it appears, to dance correctly and gracefully! But, I do invite you to join us!!

Best wishes to ALL you amazing women who dance, regardless of the style.
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
buckskin momma

nascarboys3 is just really nice
Credits: 272.00
Smile Agree

I agree with all of the opinions expressed here. I am not exactly sure what I would be classified as.....Northern or Southern. My regalia is short fringe buckskin but I have a long bone/glass bead breast plate that is long inthe front and short in the back. When I dance, I am not statioinary and I do flat footed steps with the deep knee bends which give my shawl the movement. I guess I could be considered both northern and southern if you are only looking at dance steps and regalia, but I strongly agree with the statements that we are not "classified" but dance what we feel is right and make our regalia from our dreams, tribes, and personal values. The only "classification" that I think is appropriate is cloth or buckskin in women's traditional dance style. As these two types are different with very awesome differences in regalia and in step. With respect to all dancers, just enjoy the beauty of the dance and the songs in your heart given by the drums!!!
nascarboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
**Happy Feet**

Thumbs up Thanks again >:D<

Thank you very much for all of your input.
Yes Lakota Wiyan, I can imagine how hard on the joints dancing with your knees constantely bent can be. As well as the weight of full bone breast plates can be. Not to mention heat in the summer sun under heavy hides.
My apologies. My heart goes out to all of you very beautiful and strong women.
Many years are still in front of me before I come to retirement. I guess, I will see then what I am suppose to become.
As for my friend, I will pass onto her all of your comments.
It was great having spoken with you all, including nascarboy3.
Many blessings to you.
(PS: I do not know how to close the thread, but I got my answer).
Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #16
Osage_jingle

Osage_jingle is a splendid one to beholdOsage_jingle is a splendid one to beholdOsage_jingle is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Hello everyone,

i was in teh middle of trying to type this and my computer kicked me right out on my fanny ouch*lol* but i think there is always simple basic steps that differentiate southern adn northern and then over time ppl develope thier own flair of uniqueness in dancing. i seen this southern girl one time danceing northern but it was different she was high up on her toes dancing not flat footed. i dunno how she came abou tto dancing like that but it was defintly different i seen alot of northern buckskin and they dont dance anywhere near like that neither does the southern. i was always told us southerners move about more in danceing when it comes to buckskin than northerners liek with teh bowing etc..
Osage_jingle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
gramma de

gramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond repute
I don't competition dance no more, because I dance what they call oldstyle, I guess. I don't know any other way to dance traditional( northern) mostly in one place but otherwise slow moving, and I guess I drag foot. I have never put as much thought into dancing as since I started reading what everyone writes. Its very interesting. I really enjoy the buckskins I see now, we would wear things that were gifts sometimes. Things that would make us pretty, I still have a pin that was my mothers and a really old pair of hacons( hairpieces) that an antie gave me when I started dancing. Not very matching, I never wanted to hurt someones feelings so I would wear it all. All I remember is that I was told to be respectful, dance slow, I was never wore a feather or plumes, stiil don't,I am just old fashioned.ha ha When its hot out, during day powwow, I wear cotton dress, much cooler.I saw a southern dancer for the first time three years ago and I loved their dresses and crowns.
gramma de is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
pow-wow gear central!

tribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond repute
What a tough discussion!

As a man, I can only relate what I have observed and also what my sisters, mothers, aunties and grandma's have shared with me.
Here in Oklahoma there is a basic southern style, or step, which is a step, a fluid wavelike motion of the whole body and a bowing for the honor beats. I have seen a few raise fans while bowing wearing a buckskin, but it is rare. My Ponca aunties all dance an older style which has more of a bob to it on the off beat. Back should be straight.
Now, Northern styles. It seems to me that the term Northern encompasses SO much more than the term southern. You say southern, that means Oklahoma style. One little state. You say Northern and WOW! From New York to Washington and then all of Canada!!! No wonder that under the blanket term of Northern you get so much variation! But, I've generally orserved that Northern is a "livelier" style of dancing with more pop and snap on the lower fringe rather than a sway, but again, I know some GREAT Northern ladies who have a sway an Okie girl would be jealous of! I've seen a few ladies (Mostly Crow) that add a kind of "lift" to their step. It's a kind of flat step then a lift to the toe. Whether that's a tribal trait or just a family one I dunno, just what I have seen.
I've really enjoyed reading all the posts and would like to hear from everyone what tribe you're from and how you were taught was the proper way to dance for your style.
Keep swingin' and Swayin' ladies! My Mothers and Aunties make me so proud out there!
tribaltagz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links