Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree19Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Buckskin Dancing Women's Traditional Southern Round dance Women's Traditional Southern Round dance

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 12:14 AM   #21
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mountaindew will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,241.76
Savings: 0.00
I was just looking over the threads and came upon this thread. I agree with Who Me's observations. I was at a pow wow in Oklahoma and happened to be standing next to a Pawnee elder lady. We were watching the Ladies Southern Buckskin contest at that time and the second song they had to dance was a round dance. She made the comment that she didn't understand why some of the women were dancing slow. She said that if she was a judge, she wouldn't pick any of the ones that were dancing slow. She said that "You're suppose to dance fast if it's a Round Dance." She didn't understand all this twisting and turning and stooping over that now goes on. I guess back in the day, they never did all that. Also, my friend's grandmother, who is KCA, told her that if you have to contest to a round dance, always dance fast. You never dance slow. And I have also noticed that the ones that dance fast, usually win or place high. I, for one prefer to see the ladies dance fast, shows who's in shape and who isn't.
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #22
~* Mz. Flying Man *~

AhDay_EveryDay has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Hello Everyone!
I'm Kinda New To This Site But Not Necessarily New To Dancing!
I Was Told By My Own Grandma, Ida Kaubin And Grace Tsonetokoy That Yes, The Round Dance Represents A Victory Dance, And You Should Step Quickly. Also, On The Honor Beats You Don't Change At All Which Means No Bowing, Turning, Or Raising A Fan. I Step Quickly In My Own Round Dance, But Keep My Fringes Swaying Side To Side (NOT EASY!!!! *L*) I Admit I Used To Step Slowly When I Was Younger And Couldn't Control My Fringes As Well Because They Would Snap Around If I Got Too Rough... But Honestly, Just Like Mountaindew Just Said, I Have Placed In Specials With (I Think) Better Dancers Than Me Simply Because I Step Quickly And Don't Bow Or Turn... The Real Pros Know What To Look For!!! *ayez*
ladybuckskindancer likes this.
AhDay_EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #23
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,250.70
Savings: 1.00
I've always seen Toni Tsatoke dance the slower paced version of the round dance. Didn't she place 1st at GON this year?? If so, did she not dance the slower paced round dance?
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2004, 01:52 AM   #24
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting topic, ladies. :D I like the input!

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #25
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_miss
I've always seen Toni Tsatoke dance the slower paced version of the round dance. Didn't she place 1st at GON this year?? If so, did she not dance the slower paced round dance?
I wasn't at GON, but I know Toni very well, and I can bet that she danced the slower round dance. She dances beautiful and very gracefully, real smooth so no wonder she won at GON.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2004, 03:36 PM   #26
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,250.70
Savings: 1.00
KAKEEYA: I agree. She dances gracefully. I love her new beadwork as well. As far as her placing first, proves the point that not all judges prefer the faster tempo of the round dance.

Again, I think both styles are great!

Last edited by ac_miss; 05-13-2004 at 03:39 PM..
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #27
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_miss
KAKEEYA: I agree. She dances gracefully. I love her new beadwork as well. As far as her placing first, proves the point that not all judges prefer the faster tempo of the round dance.

Again, I think both styles are great!
Yes, I agree with you too, both ways are beautiful. Toni has awesome new beadwork and is very smooth and graceful when she dances. I learned a lot about Southern dances and Kiowa people from her. We used to travel together a long time ago, when we both used to live in NY. I consider her as family and am just proud of her, how far she has grown since those days in NY.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #28
Brownhighlites n my Kawds

durty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond reputedurty-kawdayz49 has a reputation beyond repute
me too they are both beautiful
Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

ChristopherCoharie is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 115.00
Lightbulb dance styles a Southern man's point of view

I have always known the Women's traditional dance to be a slow step dance. This dance is to show the grace and beauty of the woman. The faster steps seem to be stepping over the boundary from traditional into other styles of dancing. I am not saying they are wrong, but I simply prefer the elegance of the slow step. I have been brought to tears seeing an Indian lady dancing the slower step. It is truly breath-taking to see it performed properly! I gave my 16 year old daughter her regalia for Christmas. She will be dancing the slow step women's traditional at our next pow wow. I am so very proud of her!
windanncer and AmigoKumeyaay like this.
ChristopherCoharie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links