PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/)
-   -   American Indian Studies and Native students. (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/american-indian-studies-native-students-60051/)

meashcrme 02-15-2011 08:54 AM

American Indian Studies and Native students.
 
A lot of my Native friends who are in college are majoring in American Indian Studies.

But my question is -- what kind of job can you get with this major ? (bachelors degree)

Everyone wants to help their community (which is AMAZING), but wouldn't it be wiser to minor in AIS and major in something like social work, anthropology, drug and alcohol counseling, or something particular like that to directly help?

Just picking everyone's brain on what they think about the issue, and what you think the best idea is.
:questionm:Regular_W

Iowa_Boy 02-15-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458317)
A lot of my Native friends who are in college are majoring in American Indian Studies.

But my question is -- what kind of job can you get with this major ? (bachelors degree)

Everyone wants to help their community (which is AMAZING), but wouldn't it be wiser to minor in AIS and major in something like social work, anthropology, drug and alcohol counseling, or something particular like that to directly help?

Just picking everyone's brain on what they think about the issue, and what you think the best idea is.
:questionm:Regular_W

I teach native studies at a college. We advise native students to get a minor or a double major. Most practical applications for the NAS major only come now with advanced degrees (MA, MS, PHD, JD). If you want to help your people, NAS is not the easiest route. When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.

WhoMe 02-15-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458317)
what kind of job can you get with this major ? (bachelors degree)

meas,

I had a good friend who had just graduated with her bachelor's degree in Native American Studies. She made excellent grades and had been going back and forth to her home community to attend community language classes for over 4 years. I believed in her and knew her education and tribal knowledge were valuable.

I recommended her for employment with our state historical society where they have major American Indian artifact, oral history and publications collections. She was hired as Assistant Curator of the Indian Collections and received on the job training at the state museum.

To the best of my knowledge she is still there.

meashcrme 02-15-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1458329)
meas,

I had a good friend who had just graduated with her bachelor's degree in Native American Studies. She made excellent grades and had been going back and forth to her home community to attend community language classes for over 4 years. I believed in her and knew her education and tribal knowledge were valuable.

I recommended her for employment with our state historical society where they have major American Indian artifact, oral history and publications collections. She was hired as Assistant Curator of the Indian Collections and received on the job training at the state museum.

To the best of my knowledge she is still there.

Thanks for the info.! I'm trying to figure out what fields of work someone could go into with that bachelor. It sounds like all of her hard work paid off. That job sounds great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy (Post 1458319)
I teach native studies at a college. We advise native students to get a minor or a double major. Most practical applications for the NAS major only come now with advanced degrees (MA, MS, PHD, JD). If you want to help your people, NAS is not the easiest route. When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.

Thanks so much for the reply, its great to get such good information from someone who actually teaches in this field.
Would you have any advice about what is needed most to directly help the tribal community?

My aunt works as a social worker for indian health services, and believes that careers in social work (with experience in substance abuse) are in high demand.

I'm considering going to school this fall and really would like to major in something that could ultimately benefit native people.

WhoMe 02-15-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458331)
I'm considering going to school this fall and really would like to major in something that could ultimately benefit native people.


mea,

One hot career at this point in time is law enforcement, and the lack of it in Indian communities.

Due to the signing by President Obama of last year's Native Law and Order Act there is a active recruitment effort currently going on to find law officers to work on Indian lands. There has been advertisement on powwows.com about this recruitment.

Perhaps you can direct your studies in this area and benefit Native people once you graduate?

rayofsun 02-15-2011 02:49 PM

hahahahah that's funny that this topic was brought up, because i am soon to be attending my first year of college, and will be double majoring in Native American Studies, and english literature.

WhoMe 02-15-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayofsun (Post 1458351)
hahahahah that's funny that this topic was brought up, because i am soon to be attending my first year of college, and will be double majoring in Native American Studies, and english literature.


ray,

So whatcha' gonna do once you graduate?

rayofsun 02-15-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1458353)
ray,

So whatcha' gonna do once you graduate?


i'm going to become a writer.

WhoMe 02-15-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayofsun (Post 1458356)
i'm going to become a writer.

Ray,

I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Indian Country needs more professional writers.

The written word and power of the pen are mighty weapons.

rayofsun 02-15-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1458357)
Ray,

I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Indian Country needs more professional writers.

The written word and power of the pen are mighty weapons.


indeed i agree with you completely, dont worry i did not feel "on the spot" was just wondering what you meant like job wise or more education, no harm.

Joe's Dad 02-15-2011 04:33 PM

WhoMe, do you mean Indian Country in general, or Indian Country Today?

Sorry for jumping in.

Zeke 02-15-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy (Post 1458319)
When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.

Which is a major reason I have been denigrating such "degrees" for well over a decade, including the 4-year variety. Practical application is an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe
Due to the signing by President Obama of last year's Native Law and Order Act there is a active recruitment effort currently going on to find law officers to work on Indian lands.

Well, I possess an undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice and an advanced degree in Public Administration -- with requisite experience -- meaning I am qualified to do a great many things in this area.

But, who desires to spend all of their time locking up relatives? :thinking:

meashcrme 02-15-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1458373)
But, who desires to spend all of their time locking up relatives? :thinking:

You hit the nail on the head. Doesn't seem like a major in AIS would get you very far and isn't very specific. Good intentions, but bad in practical use.

rayofsun 02-15-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458393)
You hit the nail on the head. Doesn't seem like a major in AIS would get you very far and isn't very specific. Good intentions, but bad in practical use.


i disagree with you, although i am double majoring i still believe i can do many things in Native American Studies, and it will help build the future i am working hard for. it depends on how hard you work in my opinion, not giving up until you reached your goal.

meashcrme 02-15-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayofsun (Post 1458396)
i disagree with you, although i am double majoring i still believe i can do many things in Native American Studies, and it will help build the future i am working hard for. it depends on how hard you work in my opinion, not giving up until you reached your goal.

Do you have any examples on what you can use a BA in AIS for? This is what I'm really interested in. The possibilities

Joe's Dad 02-15-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458393)
You hit the nail on the head. Doesn't seem like a major in AIS would get you very far and isn't very specific. Good intentions, but bad in practical use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayofsun (Post 1458396)
i disagree with you, although i am double majoring i still believe i can do many things in Native American Studies, and it will help build the future i am working hard for. it depends on how hard you work in my opinion, not giving up until you reached your goal.

Neither one of you are wrong. Each has a different road to your destination.

If you ask some...one day in class of American Indian Studies is a waste of time.

My opinion is 'education is power'.

rayofsun 02-15-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458397)
Do you have any examples on what you can use a BA in AIS for? This is what I'm really interested in. The possibilities


i dont get it, there are possibilities in anything, for example i am going to use the information i learn from it and become a writer, and i can spread my views and opinions around the world. words from one human being can inspire a nation.

rayofsun 02-15-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1458398)
Neither one of you are wrong. Each has a different road to your destination.

If you ask some...one day in class of American Indian Studies is a waste of time.

My opinion is 'education is power'.



hahaha yeah your right JD, an opinion is an opinion i guess. and i agree education IS power.:shades_sm

meashcrme 02-15-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayofsun (Post 1458399)
i dont get it, there are possibilities in anything, for example i am going to use the information i learn from it and become a writer, and i can spread my views and opinions around the world. words from one human being can inspire a nation.

Specifically, what jobs require a BA in AIS.

rayofsun 02-15-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meashcrme (Post 1458402)
Specifically, what jobs require a BA in AIS.


meash i am sorry to say but i will not continue this game, you are trying to put down something important to me, and by trying to prove its useless, you are only strengthening my opinion that is is very useful and indeed a good use of time. it can help career wise, and there are jobs for every major, but i think i'll just leave you with your opinion and me with mine. we all have a opinions, makes us human.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC