Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues American Indian Studies and Native students. American Indian Studies and Native students.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
chahta native

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
meashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Savings: 0.00
Question American Indian Studies and Native students.

A lot of my Native friends who are in college are majoring in American Indian Studies.

But my question is -- what kind of job can you get with this major ? (bachelors degree)

Everyone wants to help their community (which is AMAZING), but wouldn't it be wiser to minor in AIS and major in something like social work, anthropology, drug and alcohol counseling, or something particular like that to directly help?

Just picking everyone's brain on what they think about the issue, and what you think the best idea is.
meashcrme is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by meashcrme View Post
A lot of my Native friends who are in college are majoring in American Indian Studies.

But my question is -- what kind of job can you get with this major ? (bachelors degree)

Everyone wants to help their community (which is AMAZING), but wouldn't it be wiser to minor in AIS and major in something like social work, anthropology, drug and alcohol counseling, or something particular like that to directly help?

Just picking everyone's brain on what they think about the issue, and what you think the best idea is.
I teach native studies at a college. We advise native students to get a minor or a double major. Most practical applications for the NAS major only come now with advanced degrees (MA, MS, PHD, JD). If you want to help your people, NAS is not the easiest route. When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
what kind of job can you get with this major ? (bachelors degree)
meas,

I had a good friend who had just graduated with her bachelor's degree in Native American Studies. She made excellent grades and had been going back and forth to her home community to attend community language classes for over 4 years. I believed in her and knew her education and tribal knowledge were valuable.

I recommended her for employment with our state historical society where they have major American Indian artifact, oral history and publications collections. She was hired as Assistant Curator of the Indian Collections and received on the job training at the state museum.

To the best of my knowledge she is still there.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
chahta native

meashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
meas,

I had a good friend who had just graduated with her bachelor's degree in Native American Studies. She made excellent grades and had been going back and forth to her home community to attend community language classes for over 4 years. I believed in her and knew her education and tribal knowledge were valuable.

I recommended her for employment with our state historical society where they have major American Indian artifact, oral history and publications collections. She was hired as Assistant Curator of the Indian Collections and received on the job training at the state museum.

To the best of my knowledge she is still there.
Thanks for the info.! I'm trying to figure out what fields of work someone could go into with that bachelor. It sounds like all of her hard work paid off. That job sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
I teach native studies at a college. We advise native students to get a minor or a double major. Most practical applications for the NAS major only come now with advanced degrees (MA, MS, PHD, JD). If you want to help your people, NAS is not the easiest route. When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.
Thanks so much for the reply, its great to get such good information from someone who actually teaches in this field.
Would you have any advice about what is needed most to directly help the tribal community?

My aunt works as a social worker for indian health services, and believes that careers in social work (with experience in substance abuse) are in high demand.

I'm considering going to school this fall and really would like to major in something that could ultimately benefit native people.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm considering going to school this fall and really would like to major in something that could ultimately benefit native people.

mea,

One hot career at this point in time is law enforcement, and the lack of it in Indian communities.

Due to the signing by President Obama of last year's Native Law and Order Act there is a active recruitment effort currently going on to find law officers to work on Indian lands. There has been advertisement on powwows.com about this recruitment.

Perhaps you can direct your studies in this area and benefit Native people once you graduate?

Last edited by WhoMe; 02-15-2011 at 01:44 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Fancy shawl dancer

rayofsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
hahahahah that's funny that this topic was brought up, because i am soon to be attending my first year of college, and will be double majoring in Native American Studies, and english literature.
rayofsun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayofsun View Post
hahahahah that's funny that this topic was brought up, because i am soon to be attending my first year of college, and will be double majoring in Native American Studies, and english literature.

ray,

So whatcha' gonna do once you graduate?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Fancy shawl dancer

Quote:
ray,

So whatcha' gonna do once you graduate?

i'm going to become a writer.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
i'm going to become a writer.
Ray,

I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Indian Country needs more professional writers.

The written word and power of the pen are mighty weapons.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Fancy shawl dancer

Quote:
Ray,

I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Indian Country needs more professional writers.

The written word and power of the pen are mighty weapons.

indeed i agree with you completely, dont worry i did not feel "on the spot" was just wondering what you meant like job wise or more education, no harm.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Savings: 1.00
WhoMe, do you mean Indian Country in general, or Indian Country Today?

Sorry for jumping in.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.
Which is a major reason I have been denigrating such "degrees" for well over a decade, including the 4-year variety. Practical application is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Due to the signing by President Obama of last year's Native Law and Order Act there is a active recruitment effort currently going on to find law officers to work on Indian lands.
Well, I possess an undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice and an advanced degree in Public Administration -- with requisite experience -- meaning I am qualified to do a great many things in this area.

But, who desires to spend all of their time locking up relatives?

Last edited by Zeke; 02-15-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
chahta native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
But, who desires to spend all of their time locking up relatives?
You hit the nail on the head. Doesn't seem like a major in AIS would get you very far and isn't very specific. Good intentions, but bad in practical use.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Fancy shawl dancer

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. Doesn't seem like a major in AIS would get you very far and isn't very specific. Good intentions, but bad in practical use.

i disagree with you, although i am double majoring i still believe i can do many things in Native American Studies, and it will help build the future i am working hard for. it depends on how hard you work in my opinion, not giving up until you reached your goal.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
chahta native

Quote:
i disagree with you, although i am double majoring i still believe i can do many things in Native American Studies, and it will help build the future i am working hard for. it depends on how hard you work in my opinion, not giving up until you reached your goal.
Do you have any examples on what you can use a BA in AIS for? This is what I'm really interested in. The possibilities
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Quote:
Quote:
Neither one of you are wrong. Each has a different road to your destination.

If you ask some...one day in class of American Indian Studies is a waste of time.

My opinion is 'education is power'.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
Fancy shawl dancer

Quote:
Do you have any examples on what you can use a BA in AIS for? This is what I'm really interested in. The possibilities

i dont get it, there are possibilities in anything, for example i am going to use the information i learn from it and become a writer, and i can spread my views and opinions around the world. words from one human being can inspire a nation.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Fancy shawl dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Neither one of you are wrong. Each has a different road to your destination.

If you ask some...one day in class of American Indian Studies is a waste of time.

My opinion is 'education is power'.

hahaha yeah your right JD, an opinion is an opinion i guess. and i agree education IS power.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
chahta native

Quote:
i dont get it, there are possibilities in anything, for example i am going to use the information i learn from it and become a writer, and i can spread my views and opinions around the world. words from one human being can inspire a nation.
Specifically, what jobs require a BA in AIS.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #20
Fancy shawl dancer

Quote:
Specifically, what jobs require a BA in AIS.

meash i am sorry to say but i will not continue this game, you are trying to put down something important to me, and by trying to prove its useless, you are only strengthening my opinion that is is very useful and indeed a good use of time. it can help career wise, and there are jobs for every major, but i think i'll just leave you with your opinion and me with mine. we all have a opinions, makes us human.
Sponsored Links