Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues American Indian Studies and Native students. American Indian Studies and Native students.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #61
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 68,252.95
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by meashcrme View Post
Being successful in marine biology isn't helping the community.
Being a pharmacist isn't helping the community.
I would like to respectfully disagree.

Every one of us who gets educated and succeeds without ceasing to be Indian helps. Beyond finical benefit to our immediate circle of kin, we act as role models. Do not underestimate the value of this. (The year I defended my PhD one -- one! -- other Native person got a PhD in chemistry. There are a few more now. The pipe line leaks a little less every time a student can look to another person from the same background who has made it.) We need to realize as modern communities facing the challenges of developing sound economic bases, we need people in all professions, not just the "helping" professions.

Too often, I think, we limit ourselves to fields we perceive as "Indian". We forget that by bringing our ethos and values to a profession we make it Indian. We need more Native scientists, pharmacists, engineers, computer programmers. Part of curing community disfunction is creating a viable economy. To do that we need more tools.

(Oh, for the love of Pete! I think I may have inadvertently agreed with Zeke. Joe'sDad help! LOL)

Last edited by OLChemist; 02-21-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Proofreading isn't just for whimps....
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #62
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
How can a native EXCELLING in their field NOT be a help to their people?
Precisely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist
Too often, I think, we limit ourselves to fields we perceive as "Indian". We forget that by bring our ethos and values to a profession we make in Indian. We need more Native scientists, pharmacists, engineers, computer programmers. Part of curing community disfunction is creating a viable economy. To do that we need more tools.
100% concur.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #63
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Here's a little article that appeared in our news feeds. Ministers to discuss gaps among aboriginal students - CTV News

As OL Chemist and Zeke have pointed out I too, have always preached that in order for any First Nation community to move ahead we have to have a critical mass in ALL areas of hard and soft sciences, business, health, education, law, policing, arts, etc. Which means we have to start convincing kids to stay in school so that they can be in those careers to make up a critical mass.

One upon a time that Government of Canada wanted to publish its feel good stats on how many Aboriginal folks it had working for the various departments. In my department, they came up with a 5% Aboriginal workforce.... what that actually equated to in real bodies, was me...just me. Today, my department has developed a program to attract First Nation, Inuit and Metis kids - it's called Bold Eagle.

For us up here in Canuckistan, education was always for someone else, up to 1960 any Native person who tried to obtain a degree in a post secondary institution was immediately enfranchised and lost their status as an Indian. Back then even if a native kid got off the reserve, went to school and say became a lawyer, under the Indian Act, no FN band could hire them as it was contrary to the Act. So yeah, it's a big deal when one of us goes and gets a degree in any discipline.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #64
Pow Wow Visitor

Eaglepathfinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 833.50
Smile

I think there is some good advice given here if one reads all of the posts and does not get emotional. It was written that you, by getting a degree of any kind, enhance your ability to earn a decent living and that will impact your faimilies' ability to earn a good living, etc., in that you are setting an example for others to follow. That is true.
There is a story about two sisters, one who valued an education and made sure her children went to school every day, did their homework and obtained good grades. The other did not value education and did not make her children go to school.
The first woman had five children who all graduated from school. These married and had children and they all valued education. From this family group, after following them for 4 generations, had a lot of teachers, lawyers, doctors and the like. Their average income was over $50K per year.
The other sisters five children did not finish school but married and had children. Following them for 4 generations, there were many who had trouble with the law, most had jobs that they were laid off from more than once and their median income was under $20K per year.
Which sister do you want to be most like? The one who valued education and set a pattern for her children to follow or the other who didn't? Which group do you think could the Indian benefit most from provided they stayed within the community?
It was also written to follow your passion in choosing a field to study. That is also true; however, I would add this to it: Follow your passion in choosing your career field, then it will never feel like working. In that, you will be doing something that you truly want to do in life. It will show to others as they watch and observe you in your life's travels.
It is also true that a degree in computer science could benefit the community and help those who are interested in being proficient in many aspects of the computer. Is that not needed in any community?
There are transferable skills in any AIS program at colleges that teach you to think, write, speak, etc., that can apply to a lot of career fields.
My advice, just get started. You never know what you are capable of doing until you begin the journey. As you journey, it will come to you what you will do for your life's work.
Best wishes for a successful journey.
Eaglepathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links