Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Barack Obama to help Native Americans Barack Obama to help Native Americans

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #21
Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
OUR ENEMIES doesnt necesarily mean any certain group that I can think of, it means "whoever is an enemy now or in the future, known or not known".

Maybe some countries can benefit from us having a woman or minority becuase they may not be an oil tycoon or businessman like most of the past presidents.

Eventually they will turn into one though, no doubt.

Power goes to the head no mattter who you think you are.
I do agree with you that the system is set up to turn even the most well meaning and honest leader into something quite different. Leaders end up having to sell their souls to get the job done, telling themselves that the ends justify the means.
The republicans will loose this time around and the democrats will clean up their mess - again. I think that Clinton was a brilliant President, especially when it came to finances, and Hillary had a lot to do with his successes.
I am not sure the democrats are brave enough to to put Hillary and Obama on the same ticket. It will be interesting to see what they do...
yellowthunders mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #22
OgamaWab

OgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant future
Credits: 390.00
Savings: 362.25
Talking need for a change

The people are ready for a minority leader, so many people are in need of a change. Barack has many supporters. I have a network of people and I ask them. Mostly whites and yes they state - yes we are ready for a minority leader. Network range from 200 to 350. I have been working hard. People are uplifted by him and when he speaks, it comes from the heart. He has done so much for change. He wants to change how thing are done in Washington. Big corporates need to get out of Washington. Big corporates pretty much run the country today. if people can go out and vote and we can win by a big number, they is no denying that.

Just go to Youtube.com and search Barack Obama and watch him speak. you will understand afterward.

Would you vote for person that takes money from Lobbyist and be bought out and side with big corporations for their agendas? Senator Hillary Clinton was bought out, she sides with big corporate company. Barack say no to Big corporate lobbyist.

Vote Barack Obama, I am ready. who in?
OgamaWab10 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
OgamaWab

OgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant futureOgamaWab10 has a brilliant future
Talking see and read

Barack Obama is committed to honoring the federal government's obligations to the First Americans and strengthening the federal government's unique relationship with tribal nations. Recognizing the inherent sovereignty of tribes is not enough; we must also help build tribal nations through adequate funding of programs. Senator Obama is proud to be an original co-sponsor of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act of 2007. This long-overdue legislation will modernize Indian health care services and delivery, make it easier for Tribes and the IHS to attract quality health care professionals, and provide tribal health programs with more flexibility to ensure that funds are used to meet the specific needs of their communities.

The Senator's experience as a community organizer in some of Chicago's poorest neighborhoods taught him that there is no simple way to heal ills that often have complex causes. His comprehensive approach invests in physical, human and institutional infrastructure; increases access to capital and removes barriers to development; promotes education from the pre-school to the university level, including Native language immersion and preservation programs; and above all, develops authentic government-to-government relationships between the federal government and Indian tribes.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #24
OgamaWab

Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #25
OgamaWab

watch and listen

Click to play

Old 09-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #26
OgamaWab

Thumbs up Get to know Barack Obama

click to play.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #27
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgamaWab10 View Post
Barack Obama is committed to honoring the federal government's obligations to the First Americans and strengthening the federal government's unique relationship with tribal nations. Recognizing the inherent sovereignty of tribes is not enough; we must also help build tribal nations through adequate funding of programs.
is he going to honor all the treaties and return lands taken that are treay lands? will he instruct DOI to settle Cobell and pay up??
i looked at the official website and theres a "first americans group" but wasnt anything there yet..
i am curious about the term "first americans" this is an open question too...is this the new political correct term for us now? i wish some one just once would ask US what we want to be called lol
Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #28
OgamaWab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
is he going to honor all the treaties and return lands taken that are treay lands? will he instruct DOI to settle Cobell and pay up??
i looked at the official website and theres a "first americans group" but wasnt anything there yet..
i am curious about the term "first americans" this is an open question too...is this the new political correct term for us now? i wish some one just once would ask US what we want to be called lol

watch this video...

Old 09-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #29
OgamaWab

Cool

Quote:

remember big corporates run this country. I dont think they would honor our treaties or give back our land. But he can help towards that. Look at the bigger picture...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #30
OgamaWab

Thumbs up Obama in Indian Country

By now many of you have had a chance to peruse First Americans for Obama and have an idea of where Barack stands regarding American Indian issues. Many will agree that his policy initiatives are among the most well developed of any of the presidential candidates. But this website does not represent all that Barack has been doing to reach out to Indian country.

In North Carolina Barack met with members of the Eastern Band Cherokee, who proclaimed his commitment to upholding tribal sovereignty. During a recent conference call with over 100 tribal leaders Barack introduced some of his key policy initiatives. In response to one question about making American Indian issues a priority, Barack stated: “I think the starting point is to understand our history …. You represent the first governments on this soil, we have to be mindful of that history; we have to be respectful of that history.” He also said, “I know that tribal peoples have heard many politicians who pledge their support to sovereignty and promise to include them …. and vow to fund federal programs…… but they don’t act…. Look at my track record and the kind of issues I’ve championed…. I think we share a set of values that are critically important.”

This is just a small sampling of why I believe Barack is the best candidate, and I look forward to discussing specific policy initiatives and themes in future posts.

Barack is continuing to reach out to American Indians throughout the country. He has said that he hopes to meet as many tribal leaders as possible in the hopes of beginning a lasting working relationship. In the meantime, spread the word about Barack’s message to Indian country.

BarackObama.com | Wizipan Garriott's Blog: Obama in Indian Country
Old 09-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #31
~Erica~

eap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
The people behind the First Americans for Obama are Indians so I guess its what they want to be called lol.
eap7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #32
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap7 View Post
The people behind the First Americans for Obama are Indians so I guess its what they want to be called lol.
i think we should be called first native american indians from now on...jk...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #33
~Erica~

eap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Quote:
i think we should be called first native american indians from now on...jk...
Only if we can be called FNAI's for short. Pronounced like funnay. lol
eap7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #34
OgamaWab

Talking Natives for Obama

Old 09-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #35
OgamaWab

Wink must read

Native Times allegations of Barack Obama not factual
Category: News and Politics

eith Harper 8/24/2007

A recent editorial published in Native American Times premised criticisms of Barack Obama's Presidential Campaign on a false allegation. It suggested that he has failed to articulate an Indian Country policy platform. The assertion is untrue. In point of fact, the progressive policy initiatives Senator Obama has put forward – both far-reaching and unparalleled – will transform the relationship between the federal government and Indian Country.

I understand there is some disappointment that, due to a scheduling conflict, Barack is unable to attend "Prez on the Rez." He has, however, committed to visiting tribal communities. What's more, this should not distract us nor detract from what matters most - a commitment to transform federal policy and promote a true government-to-government relationship with Native Nations. What is plain is that the issues that the forum will address are of great concern to Barack and his campaign and have driven the development of thoughtful and innovative policy positions. This development has been aided in significant part by Senator Tom Daschle, one of Barack's closest advisers, and a long-standing stalwart of sound policies affecting our communities.

I need not tell you that the stakes in the 2008 Presidential election could not be higher – for America and for Indian Country. In my estimation, Obama represents the only true hope in achieving the kind of foundational transformation we so desperately need in policy and practices affecting Native peoples. He understands that to achieve fundamental change you must change the process of how business is done in Washington and, specifically, how policy decisions affecting Indian people are made. Moreover, his policies are and his Administration will be guided by the unremarkable notion that tribal communities are an essential participant in the policy dialogue. His emphasis is appropriately on inclusion of Native voices and he is committed to our participation our in a manner we have never been before. He understands that tribal communities are in the best position to address the challenges we face. He also understands the folly in a federal government dictating one-size-fits-all policies from Washington, and the wisdom in cooperating with tribal communities to identify the best ways the federal government can aid each unique tribe.

As a member of his American Indian Policy and Outreach Group, I have enjoyed the opportunity to work together with Senator Obama's campaign and his American Indian policy staff. Together, we've built a solid foundation on Indian matters and Senator Obama is committed to addressing long ignored concerns and longstanding injustices with new and sustainable policy.

What makes him different? Where other politicians seem content to repeat tired promises of the past, Obama has been working to craft new and different approaches and initiatives which at their core are about empowering tribal communities and enhancing self-determination. Many tribal leaders throughout the country have heard Barack and other campaign officials speak about this new policy, most recently on a national conference call for nearly one hundred tribal leaders.

I have seen the enthusiasm the campaign has had in embracing positive and pioneering initiatives that will have the kind of positive transformative impact that is needed. As the only presidential candidate to be an original cosponsor of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act of 2007, Obama has demonstrated that he's ready to roll up his sleeves on things that matter to Indian Country.

Among the Senator's chief pledges is the creation of a National American Indian Policy Adviser to serve as a member of his White House staff. For the first time, there will be a powerful voice in the White House with direct access to the President. This adviser will also oversee the creation of a National American Indian Advisory Council. This council will work directly with the president to develop and implement policy initiatives and coordinate federal Indian programs. To augment this renewed dialogue, Obama will annually invite tribal leaders to a conference at the White House— a "tribal G8" – as he put it. It will be a time for sharing ideas and building an authentic government-to-government partnership.

Obama's much talked-about health plan will not leave the Indian Health Service on the sidelines as the Bush Administration has consistently done. The performance standards he has called for will apply to IHS to ensure equitable, comprehensive, and meaningful health care coverage. Those tribal members who cannot access IHS facilities or are not serviced by IHS are included in his universal health care plan that will provide affordable, high-quality care to every single American.

Obama understands with clarity the devastating impact of the severe levels of crime ravaging too many reservation communities. He is well aware this intolerable situation is in no insignificant part a direct result of the knotty jurisdictional problems which, in turn, are rooted in 1978's Oliphant v. Suquamish Supreme Court decision. As president, Barack Obama is committed to reexamining this decision and working to empower tribes with the authority to protect their own lands and people.

He has also committed himself to meaningfully addressing the historic and continuing mismanagement of trust assets belonging to individual Indians and tribes, as opposed to the hostile approach to resolution that the present Administration has demonstrated.

This forum is not sufficient space to delineate the full breadth of policies that Barack Obama intends for Native communities. These progressive policy initiatives are substantial, innovative and frankly, groundbreaking. In the coming weeks, the campaign will be putting a First Americans for Obama website online. Along with American Indian-specific policies, the website has the same blogging, networking, and outreach features that Obama's homepage has become known for. In the meantime, I encourage all of you to contact the campaign at its dedicated American Indian address, [email protected].

I support Barack Obama because he is the sole candidate the integrity and courage to take on the most vexing matters and the acumen and vision to put in place sensible solutions to address them. He understands that empowerment and enfranchisement of all the people is the key to a new, progressive vision for America.

Keith Harper is a member of the Cherokee Nation and an attorney at the law firm of Kilpatrick Stockton LLP. He serves as class counsel in the landmark Indian trust funds lawsuit, Cobell v. Kempthorne.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #36
OgamaWab

Smile Michelle is right on!

Words from Barack Obama wife. Michelle

Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #37
OgamaWab

to God

Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #38
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
anyone hear the expression "If it sounds too good to be true, then it must be"?...

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #39
OgamaWab

Thumbs up Barack Obama Voting Record

Click on the link.

Barack Obama - U.S. Senator for Illinois
Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #40
OgamaWab

Post from Natalie

The big news of the day...Barack Obama releases a statement regarding his decision to no longer wear a flag pin on his lapel. Here are his words:

“My attitude is that I’m less concerned about what you’re wearing on your lapel than what’s in your heart," he told the campaign crowd Thursday. "You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. You show your patriotism by being true to our values and ideals. That’s what we have to lead with is our values and our ideals.”

“The truth is that right after 9/11 I had a pin,” Obama said. “Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we’re talking about the Iraq war, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security.”

I personally have always felt that the American Flag lapel pins were a bit pretentious. But, as could easily be predicted, the media and right wingers are having a field day with this. To me, this is honesty and integrity at it's finest. I think that the reaction to his decision is indicative of the confusion over what constitutes a patriot in these times. It goes right to the heart of the Republican talking points; if you dissent, you are not a patriot...if you are anti-war, you are unpatriotic....if you speak out, you are unAmerican.

One only has to hear a small portion of Barack Obama's message of hope for our Nation to understand that he is indeed a patriotic American.

As for me, I love America. While I am ashamed of what our current administration has done to our people and our reputation, I stand proud to be an American, based not on what we are currently involved in, but on what we have accomplished in the past, and on the great things of which we are capable. And, I do not wear a flag lapel pin, I do not have a flag in my window, I do not have a yellow ribbon on my car. My words and my deeds are proof enough of my commitment to this country, and I applaud Senator Obama's decision.

It's time to be real, people. I don't want a President who conforms to what the other members of the "Club" deem as appropriate. I want a President who talks the talk, and walks the walk. I want a President with my best interests in mind...not a fashion statement.

By the way, in the last debate, Hillary, Dodd, Edwards, Richardson et al, we free of the lapel pin.....are they unpatriotic as well? Or will they be left alone because they were not brave enough to explain to the people why they chose not to wear it? Let's keep all of that in mind as we watch this unfold. But please try not to get too caught up in the minutia of all of this. At the end of the day, we need to be reminding people what is at stake in this election, and that Barack Obama is the best choice for President in 2008!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to share your opinion.

Natalie
Barack 2008
Sponsored Links