Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Blood percentage Blood percentage

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Cheyenne

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
swift horse running will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Blood percentage

I wanted to start this thread and get everyones feelings on blood percentage. Here's why:
I am 1/4 Cheyenne from my grandfather which makes my boy's ony 1/8. I have been treated badly at some pow wows because of my complexion (because I look mostly white). However my grandfather spent a great amount of time and energy throughout my young years teaching me about my native heritage and teaching me to be proud of it. I know there are a lot of people out there who don't like or want mixed breeds around. I try to live a good productive life and teach my kids right in being proud of their native heritage, so I am just curious as to how everyone else feels. I wish I was fullblood but am not and cannot change that, but am still proud and try to support the native causes. I donate items each year to the rez and support many causes. Having mixed blood am I less of a person?
swift horse running is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Hola!

kgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
kgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,660.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift horse running
Having mixed blood am I less of a person?
Only if you think so...
Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
yea only if you think soo ...

just keep on doin what you're doing - keepin up traditions!! teach your children what your grandfather taught you ..

i know alot of so-called full-bloods that probably don't know a quarter of your grandfather thought you - cuz nobody taught them or they just didn't WANT to listen to the teachings.

i must admit in the past that i have had some issues with ppl who were half - but i've matured (well, i think so anyways .. lol). i think it was just ignorance on my part. and i am teaching my children to accept EVERYONE - i'm always sayin to them "you saying that gives the right to someone else to call you a no-good drunk indian or a wagon burner or whatever." guess it did come from my peers, parents, friends etc. but i am trying to do my part to bring an end to it ...

Last edited by chazziff; 03-16-2006 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: sorry fat fingers .. again .. lol
chazziff is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

jumbonative is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I wanted to start this thread and get everyones feelings on blood percentage. Here's why:
I am 1/4 Cheyenne from my grandfather which makes my boy's ony 1/8. I have been treated badly at some pow wows because of my complexion (because I look mostly white). However my grandfather spent a great amount of time and energy throughout my young years teaching me about my native heritage and teaching me to be proud of it. I know there are a lot of people out there who don't like or want mixed breeds around. I try to live a good productive life and teach my kids right in being proud of their native heritage, so I am just curious as to how everyone else feels. I wish I was fullblood but am not and cannot change that, but am still proud and try to support the native causes. I donate items each year to the rez and support many causes. Having mixed blood am I less of a person?

No, being an individual of mixed heritage does not make you any less of a person than someone who is not but only you can make that determination.
jumbonative is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
this could'nt have been asked on the other mixed blood threads?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
"It's just me saying hi"

OklahomaBella is an unknown quantity at this point
If we, as Natives, disregard respect (as taught by our elders)what it really means to be "Indian", to be family and love one another, how else are we to expect non-natives to treat us fairly?? Degree of blood is so hard-lined by our government that it's come to numbers and not kindness. But in some eyes, race, creed, sexual orientation and yes, even Blood Degree, you would think "it shouldn't matter"...

but unfortunately it does.

Just my $.02
Old 03-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Lightbulb

I have an opinion that:

If you were raised with the traditional teachings of your grandfather and you are 1/4 of his tribe, then it shouldn't matter what color you are.

But,

If you've recently found out that your great x 7 grandmother was on the Dawes roll, and they were not Cherokee to begin with (yes, this happens),

...then it really doesn't matter how much you wanna be Indian (In your heart, in your little toe ... whereever).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Principal Chief Chad "Corntassel" Smith of the Cherokee Nation - also has this opinion?
Old 03-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I agree with Whome... I've said this before, if you have no ties to your people, then what good does it do you to be indian? People could call me white, apple, whatever from any other nation.. I could'nt give a rat's patoot... but if my family, my nation did'nt know me, then what really makes me tuscarora to begin with? It would'nt matter if I was 1/16th and knew more about my culture or language than anyone else in the whole nation... without their acknowlegement and acceptance, it means nothing.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
If you are doing what your Cheyenne grandfather taught you to do, no one has the right to question it -- but the RACISTS still will. The racists of both colors, that is.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
Gourd Dancer

JimGrayOwl has a spectacular aura about
Now, I'm liking what I'm seeing. It is true that you need to be connected to claim a heritage. It is also true that you have to come with a good heart and suffer some of the indignance of ingnorant people before you are accepted. Many people here are picking up on the BQ thing. Don't get involved in that. It is important to remember that you are or are not Indian. I don't know what a "part" Indian is. It does not matter what BQ you have if you are Indian.

We have to remember that BQ is a thing set up by a white government, because eventually there ain't going to be any Indians if Indian subscribe to this way of thinking. We need those with mixed blood. The numbers grow, we get things done in our anti-Indian government with vote power, and we get fresh blood to make stronger Indian blood.

Just don't forget what you went through when you are accepted by all (and you will be if your heart is good).
JimGrayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #11
Dog is my copilot

Native Disc Dogger has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 1,100.00
Racism is racism, irregardless of it's intention. Millions of people, including The People, have died all over the world for this very principle. Thousands of years of learning and yet still no understanding..... Listen my friend, some people will judge you but their judgement does not make you. Your ancestors made you. They fought battles you can not imagine and made desisions that got you to this point. Be grateful, show honor and above else be proud. When confronted by those blind individuals bring compassion and good manners to thier ugliness. Show them whom has been brought up properly.
Native Disc Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #12
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Hey Swift Horse': I call this the "Skin Game". This game happens most places you go if you allow it. Fortunately I and my family don't have to deal with it. I don't play the game myself but have withnessed it. Keep your head up and carry on your Families works. Teach your children the best you can. Use your family as a buffer.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Listen, I just want you to know that no matter what anyone else says...you are the person you are because Creator made you that way and no matter what anyone says or how they judge you....it is only the Creator who will always accept you because he made you the way you are. Don't get caught up in other peoples misguided and outdated drama over blood quantum....it obviously means more to them than it should to you.
Love yourself, your family, and the creator....and you can't lose.
RedShield is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

Cherie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Having mixed blood does not make you any less a person. You are who and what you are cause the creator made you that way. As for the people who you know that don't like or want mixed bloods around they're not worth worrying about.

Just keep being proud of your heritage and keep living a productive life.
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #15
Cheyenne

swift horse running will become famous soon enough
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks and a blessing upon all those who respond. I am just curious how everyone else feels and appreciate all the responses. Really it doesn't bother me, but I worry about how my kids feel...you know how parents feel. I know this happens no matter what race anyone is, but it is true I only have to answer to our Creator. I do try to live the right kind of life and teach them all that was taught me. Thank's for all the positive responses as they have lifted my spirits. My second son has had some problems at school with name calling even though he does not look Indian. I have taught him to be proud of his heritage and his sticking by his beliefs has caused some of this, but I am very proud of him for his determination and for not buckling under to peer pressure.
swift horse running is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #16
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
if you spend your life worrying about what others think,then thats not life....and i agree with what Blackbear and Whome said....

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #17
Teen Dancer

natureluvr is a jewel in the rough
hey there! Your concerns are important. I am mixed too, with tan skin, brown hair and blue/green eyes! I like the way I look and have experienced a few stares when I go to powwows, (I don't dance) but I don't care anymore. It used to bother me to the point that I wished I had brown eyes, but then that would mean I did not accept myself. Mixed people cannot help their parentage....I did not grow up with my mother from whom my native ancestry descends from, but with my dad, who is white. My dad never lied to me about my heritage so I have always known; unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to grow up learning my traditions but once I became an adult I started to learn and the native people who are teaching me know that I am mixed but accept me anyway; they know I have a good heart and are glad that I have "come home" so to speak. If I lived in an area where there were more native people I would definitely have married a native man to make another generation of ndn babies, but instead I married a black man and had two black/native/white babies. I have taught them from the very beginning to be proud of who they are.(not jus the native, but all of it) Neither one of them embraces their native culture and my youngest will deny it but I remind them of who they are. It upsets me that they are not learning their native culture, but hopefully one day they will. I do try to teach them what I have learned and I know that will remain ingrained....Anyway, the bottom line is love who you are and be respectful and learn all you can. Don't worry about the others who look down upon you; they are the ones who have an insecurity problem, not you. Plus, understand that with all the new agers running around stealing our traditions and "playing" ndn, and with people who claim to be native without a drop of ndn blood and disrespecting the native community, full-bloods and rez ndns will be skeptical of anyone they don't know and their intentions. Especially those that don't "look" native. Like I said, as long as your heart is in the right place and you show respect you will be ok. As for being light skinned and fair haired, one cannot help dna! My mother married again, to a full blood navajo and had three kids; my sister is lighter than me with brown hair and brown eyes! I have a friend who is an enrolled choctaw and she looks white, with fair skin, blue eyes, and light brown hair. The poor woman still gets a lot of crap because of the way she looks and has to whip out her enrollment card. But she follows traditions and tries not to let the "haters" get to her.
Just know you are not alone and there are plenty of us mixed bloods out here who can relate! Most importantly, if you don't know it already, learn your language; more and more native languages are dying every year, so it is important to learn to keep them strong. I am trying to learn mine, but it sure is hard when there are no Micmac people down here; I still try though.......our ancestors died trying to keep their traditions and their language; I keep that in mind whenever things get tough......
natureluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #18
is a talking Magpie

wannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond repute
people will make a stink only if u do...n personally...i think u need to lose the whole i wish i wuz full blood attitude...i know when people come out like that, for me its jus a turn off...if u were raised cheyenne, more power to u...no one can call u a wannabe then...
i used to knock the breeds too at one time...acted like i thought us full bloods were better...i wuz young and arrogant...but i had to eat those words cuz my daughter is 1/2 ndn..i think she wuz given to me to make me see that my way of thinking wuz wrong...and it wuz...i always try n make sure that she knows she is jus as equal to anyone...and tell her that if she acts different about it then people will act different towards her...i tell her to be confident in who she is...people will respect her more for it...i think newayz....
so be confident in who u are...and that means in ur mixed heritage...
now its the 1/234555654334th "ndnz" i rag on now...lol jokez

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic
wannabeUrNo1Snag is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #19
Junior Dancer

k9soldier has a reputation beyond repute
k9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond reputek9soldier has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,645.87
which drop of water is it that quenches your thirst, individual but one.... which drop of blood gives you life, which would you deny? Holy men of all cultures understood we are all one people. Sadly balance means that for good there will be evil.... choose which side you wish to stand on.... then do so, tall and proud. If you do so in a Wakan manner the decision is clear and you honor those that came before you.
k9soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #20
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Boozhoo niji,

This is my attitude. I have a lot of people on both sides that criticize the way I look, brown hair tan skin grey eyes. They tell me I should just act white and quit worrying about trying to be native or whatever, dont worry about learning my traditions.

I tell them that I am what I am. I dont have to prove anything to anyone except the Creator. And finally, if they do or do not like me, they cant do a lot to affect the outcome of my life.

I know that sounds extreme, but when you get as much abuse as I do, then you get really tired of it after awhile. Some of these people you cannot argue with, they made up their mind what they think about you when they first laid eyes on you and there is not anthing you can do or say to change their mind. So dont waste your time trying. You have more important things to concentrate on, teaching your kids and learning all you can. Then you will realize these other people that think you have to impress dont really matter.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links