PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/)
-   -   Bone Whistle on eBay (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/bone-whistle-ebay-25979/)

Wojapi4Me 04-08-2005 03:07 PM

Bone Whistle on eBay

CYSA happened along this on eBay and I felt it deserved some attention. I'm assuming (maybe inccorectly) that it's not eagle bone, but still, I just don't feel these items should be sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3968661059

Blackbear 04-08-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

This is a real wing bone and a working whistle.
YOu would be assuming wrong... they are also selling wing fans but don't state what kind of bird they are from..but kinda look like canada goose.... they have some pretty decent bustles for sale. I wrote the person asking if they know that this is illegal, the rest of you can write him about the morality of selling this item if you care too, but LEGALITIES seem to get these items off quicker than anything.

La + * Mom 04-08-2005 04:41 PM

shooot.... a few months back someone was auctioning a cornhusk mask on e-bay and no one cared.... lol...a northern style macaw bustle wrapped in blue yarn???!!!! :hysterica

White Powwow Dancer 04-08-2005 08:39 PM

Hi
They should get the whistle off ebay. Did anybody email ebay about it?
Chi Migwetch, WPD

Privateer6 04-08-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbear
YOu would be assuming wrong... they are also selling wing fans but don't state what kind of bird they are from..but kinda look like canada goose.... they have some pretty decent bustles for sale. I wrote the person asking if they know that this is illegal, the rest of you can write him about the morality of selling this item if you care too, but LEGALITIES seem to get these items off quicker than anything.

In reference to the bustles, they are Canadian Goose feathers, I aksed him a while back. Although Canadian Geese are protected by treaty, the Secretary of the Interior can allow limited seasons for hunting. Apparrently this is the case and North Carolina where I am at has like a 2 or 3 week season, thus its ok for me to have the goose wing fan I am working on.

Blackbear 04-10-2005 05:23 AM

Ok I contacted the guy and yeah he said they were
Quote:

marom a domestic goose bone
which is not illegal, and are'nt eagle whistles made from the leg bone? The guy was very polite and understanding.
GJJudd, what they told you is true that you can have the goose wing fan, but if it's wild canadian goose, not illegal to own, but illegal to buy or sell is how it was explained to me by fish and game.

Privateer6 04-10-2005 11:31 PM

Quote:

[That's] how it was explained to me by fish and game.

BB
Thanks for the clarification. Now I have a question that maybe you or someone else can help me out with in reference to feathers. Since I am not registered anywhere I cannot use eagle feathers. From the photos I've seen of Native Ventures bustles, goose feathers are a real nice natural substitute. I have friends who will be getting me some goose feathers when the time comes, but can I use the feathers at powwows outside of NC? Also how would a Fish and Wildlife agent know I got them legally in NC from a hunter or if I bought from somebody?

I ask this becasue when I was in Louisiana, I constantly heard about a big feather bust at the Gulfport, MS Powwow. Fish and wildlife agents took many articles of regalia and fined lots of people. This happened in the late 1980s or early 90s and people were still talking about it last year.

Thanks
GJJUdd

chazziff 04-10-2005 11:40 PM

well went and checked out ebay ... crazy. why would you WANT to buy a bone whistle? havin a sundance in your backyard? anyways it aint right goose bone or whatever....

but came across this though
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...968954719&rd=1

WocusWoman 04-11-2005 02:42 AM

This is a nice set; I've seen this lady's 2 previous beaded sets on there before. As far as using feathers and other natural materials; if you don't know what is legal, maybe you should reconsider dancing until you do. I always prefer natural to painted or "fake", in my family's regalia.

DeusExMachina 04-11-2005 04:07 AM

that is just tacky, selling a bone whistle. just as tacky as selling whole pipes and a few other things. Just no shame, that's all i can say.

Blackbear 04-11-2005 04:41 AM

GJJudd.. if it's goose you have nothing to worry about.... they can distinguish between goose and eagle and if they can't they don't need to be working a fish and game job.

Bone whistles are'nt a part of my culture so I can't really say much about if it's right or not to make whistles out of bones of other birds... my white grandpa taught me how to make whistles out of reeds among other materials (he liked to whittle and I liked to sit and whittle with him LOL) so having one made of bone does'nt really seem unusual to me, but I know that the eagle leg bone whistles are special with special protocols for owning and using. But hey, any and all explanations of why lookalikes or whatever are wrong are welcome to my learning if you guys want to educate me. :D

Privateer6 04-11-2005 05:43 PM

Just Ignore me

Quote:

GJJudd.. if it's goose you have nothing to worry about.... they can distinguish between goose and eagle and if they can't they don't need to be working a fish and game job.

That is for sure! Anyway just ignore my last post. I'm turning into a blabbering fool due to my wife's test friday! I haven't been able to think or talk straight since 'cause I am so excited.
GJJudd

posha one 04-11-2005 06:54 PM

Hey GJJUDD, laws differ from state to state, however, in Illinois if you receive Canada Goose feathers you MUST log the name of the person who gave them to ya and also log their hunting stamp number. It's not illegal to have them but you must be able to provide the source from whence they came. Don't know about the law in yer state.

Blackbear 04-12-2005 06:52 PM

a test on a wife that makes someone excited not worried.... GJJudd.. you gonna be a daddy?????

Privateer6 04-12-2005 07:41 PM

Yep I got another one due around Christmas. Now I really got to find a job and quit playing Mr. Mom!