Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree48Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Boy Scout OA Dance Teams Boy Scout OA Dance Teams

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarboys3 View Post
Hello All
I am a Boy Scout leader and am in the Order of the Arrow (the Honor Society of Scouting) along with my husband and sons. My sons and I were asked to join the lodge's Dance Team. We attended a couple of dances with them that they performed for younger Cub Scouts. For the most part, everything they did was appropriate, however the leader of the group made a comment to me that my sons had to dance to a song that is traditionally a Men's Traditional dance. When they said they don't dance traditional (they are grass) the leader was miffed. I did not dance to this song either but he said nothing about me not dancing only the boys. He had a young girl who is suppose to be a jingle dancer and an older lady who is a traditional I think (can't exactly tell by her outfit) dancing to this song also. Then after the second dance the leader came up to me and said that he won't allow "HIS" dancers to attend powwows unless HE thinks they have a complete outfit and have it in their heart. I was offended by this because he was insinuating that my sons' regalia is not complete to his standards. I said to him that no one will tell me when and where my children can dance at any powwow and they have been dancing their entire lives! They have grown up on the Powwow circuit and he has never been to the powwows they grew up in (such as Julyamsh and other Pacific NW dances). Mind you my boys are the ONLY native dancers in this group. Since these comments were made we have not been to any more of their dances or "practices" nor did any of them show up to the local powwow last weekend that the leader says they always go to. Since there are only 2 local powwows a year I was suprised not to see any of them there. The leader says he has spoken with the leaders or area tribes and they have given their blessing for his scouts to dance at the powwows and even contest. Do you agree? What are you thoughts on this? Am I just being over-protective of our culture?
ok....they ALWAYS say this.....and my feelings are mixed

in some instances im not surprised we grown so assimilated (or at least many tribal leaders have) that our tribal leaders would "give permission" to dance. Powwow is not the biggest deal, as its not really traditional it is still OUR culture......but i digress....i kinda give up on the most part and non-indian dancers gives us all something to laugh at since powwow clowns seem to be part of the past along with waterboys....back to permission....the permission i found out RARELY comes from "local tribes" but usually from fake culture clubs disguised as real tribes...or someone indian across the country who dont know or care 2 shyts about your region...or some drunk wino indian....or some travelling exploiter indian who may even go visit them and participate with them...for a fee of course....but i doubt its local indian community leaders giving these boy scouts so-called "permission"

BUT look where it leads....here order of the arrow is DISGUSTING with their "koshare museum".....its a mock kiva....like they have any rights....and they dress up kids like our clowns. our clown is the most sacred society we have, and the clown is part of our creation story. so for them to dress up as ceremonial clowns is very offensive to me.....i wont make light of the fact that i absolutely HATE order of the arrow and fantasize about smashing thier little heads in with a baseball bat

in four corners area there is a OA crown dance group and the apaches are pissed....i dont blame them........that is disrespectful....i fight with them all online......all of you know their argument since you all heard it before

"but we're honoring you dude"
windanncer likes this.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

Amadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 189.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
i wont make light of the fact that i absolutely HATE order of the arrow and fantasize about smashing thier little heads in with a baseball bat"
You fantasize about smashing children's heads in with a baseball bat?

I am new to this forum. I came here with an open mind and heart to learn. I also hesitated before joining this forum because of this sort of sentiment.

My great grandmother was Caddo Indian.

I do not pretend this grants me the rights of natives. I have no knowledge or understanding of her culture and only as an adult have I started learning about her people.

I benefit from my white privledge - I am mostly german and scottish - but this does not mean I do not have great respect for my ancestors people and wish to learn about them.

I am also a boy scout leader. The scouts is a good organization that teaches responsibility, leadership and respect for nature.

Recently my sons where nominated for the Order of the Arrow. I had no real knowledge of this organization before this.

My boys are about has Germanic looking as you can get - they take after my husband. I did some research and found that recently the OA has changed their logo - at the request of native american tribal advisers - from an indian head coin - which has a horrible history associated with indian massacre - to an arrow head. They did this because tribal advisers took the time to educate them. Several traditions of the group have been changed to be more in line with cultural sensitivity.

Instead of fantasizing about smashing childrens heads in with baseball bats - you could explain what parts about the OA is insensitive to native tradition and help them make it into a better program for young men.

Lastly - I understand why a mischaracterization of tribal traditions would be offensive.

I think think of a slew of scottish, german, californian, and female stereotypes that I find offensive.

What I do not understand is why is it offensive if someone who is not native wants to learn about your culture - why that is bad.

Does knowledge not lead to understanding and tolerance.

I do not find it offensive if someone not of scottish blood decided to dance the highland dance.

I see men not remotely scottish wearing kilts and they do not even understand the significance of the kilt. They where tartans who colors they do not grasp...I once saw a person wearing my clan symbol and did not realize that each part of it told the story of my mothers clan.

There is culture insensativity everywhere. We can choose to share and educate - or talk about bashing childrens heads in with baseball bats.

I choose to teach my sons as much as I can about my great grandmothers culture. Also, about my great grandfathers (who married a caddo indian and was scottish) culture. About my fathers german culture. About the american culture. There is so much that has value - it does not make sense that we should limit.

I might just be a white girl with a tiniest drop of native blood - but I hope I give honor to my ancestors with my behavior.

Im sorry - I came here looking for info on how to play my native flute, about my ancestors culture.

Today I came here because Im suppoed to help my sons make a breechcloth for this order of the arrow thing...I did not come here to read about someone threatening children like my sons..

I am very protective of my boys. And this post bothers me for that reason.

I cannot possibly begin to understand the injustice you have experienced and I do not pretend to. But say something such as this so casually, and have it go unaddressed makes me saddened.

Last edited by Amadahy; 10-14-2015 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: massive typos - hand in sling makes typing difficult
Amadahy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #23
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
You fantasize about smashing children's heads in with a baseball bat?

ok......lets get real, taking away from legalities and honor and all that stuff.....we ALL fantasized about playing whack-a-mole with ANYONE who touches a sensitive nerve whether it be man, woman, child or beast......its a very human thing to do, dont pretend you havent

I am new to this forum. I came here with an open mind and heart to learn. I also hesitated before joining this forum because of this sort of sentiment.

so you chose this particular post to make your stand? out of tens of thousands of posts? i feel honored

My great grandmother was Caddo Indian.

I do not pretend this grants me the rights of natives. I have no knowledge or understanding of her culture and only as an adult have I started learning about her people.

I benefit from my white privledge - I am mostly german and scottish - but this does not mean I do not have great respect for my ancestors people and wish to learn about them.

good for you i wish more thin bloods/no bloods thought this way

I am also a boy scout leader. The scouts is a good organization that teaches responsibility, leadership and respect for nature.

and institutionalized racism in the form of mascotry!

Recently my sons where nominated for the Order of the Arrow. I had no real knowledge of this organization before this.

My boys are about has Germanic looking as you can get - they take after my husband. I did some research and found that recently the OA has changed their logo - at the request of native american tribal advisers - from an indian head coin - which has a horrible history associated with indian massacre - to an arrow head. They did this because tribal advisers took the time to educate them. Several traditions of the group have been changed to be more in line with cultural sensitivity.

one concession out of how many? how about they disband? thats like the cleveland indians abandoning the buffoonish cartoon to replace it with a musclebound warrior.....does it even come close to fixing the problem?

Instead of fantasizing about smashing childrens heads in with baseball bats - you could explain what parts about the OA is insensativey to native traiditon and help them bake it into a better program for young men.

thats easy, disband!

Lastly - I understand why a mischaracterization of tribal traditions would be offensive.

I think think of a slew of scottish, german, californian, and female stereotypes that I find offensive.

What I do not understand is why is it offensive if someone who is not native wants to learn about your culture - why that is bad.

Does knowledge not lead to understanding and tolerance.

because to them learning doesnt mean keeping mouths shut and ears open and at times PRIVACY.....they only accept participation and usurption

I do not find it offensive if someone not of scottish blood decided to dance the highland dance.

well im sure someone in scotland does....you gonna say they are wrong?

I see men not remotely scottish wearing kilts and they do not even understand the significance of the guilt. They where tartans who colors they do not grasp...I once saw a person wearing my clan symbol and did not realize that each part of it told the story of my mothers clan.

i really dont care about the scottish...they can fend for themselves or ask for help...if they are ok with it than so be it...if they arent i have a few of my scottish friends backs....but i DO care about MY culture and right to privacy and yes the "koshare museum" is very offensive

There is culture insensativity everywhere. We can choose to share and educate - or talk about bashing childrens heads in with baseball bats.

BATTER UP!! hey batter batter SWING!

I choose to teach my sons as much as I can about my great grandmothers culture. Also, about my great grandfathers (who married a caddo indian and was scottish) culture. About my fathers german culture. About the american culture. There is so much that has value - it does not make sense that we should limit.

and you can teach them that not everybody is cool with order of the arrow and there is room for problems and they need to prepare for that also....why shield them from that?

I might just be a white girl with a tiniest drop of native blood - but I hope I give honor to my ancestors with my behavior.

i only know a few caddos....you would have to ask them.....but im warnin you they are a very private bunch too......and yes SOME ndn cultures are just the opposite.....some ndn cultures may say its ok....some wont.....and the ones who wont outnumber the ones who do......you will never get some of us to agree....live with it

Im sorry - I came here looking for info on how to play my native flute, about my ancestors culture.

and you still can....who is stopping you?

Today I came here because Im suppoed to help my sons make a breechcloth for this order of the arrow thing...I did not come here to read about someone threatening children like my sons..

I am very protective of my boys. And this post bothers me for that reason.

chances are that i live nowhere near you, and chances are there is a long list of people who i would rather hit with a louisville slugger at this moment that does not include order of the arrow.....just because i expressed a thought that all us indians think doesnt mean they are on the top of my grand slam list......i will however scratch your name somewhere on top so you could skip line if that makes you feel any better.....lets play pinata :) if you really feel threatened by some azzhat on the net who didnt even know you existed or care (and still dont) than maybe you ought to see a doctor or something

I cannot possibly begin to understand the injustice you have experienced and I do not pretend to. But say something such as this so casually, and have it go unaddressed makes me saddened.

where you are saddened i am amused......i speak for me and ONLY me......but im telling you that i am not the only one who feels this way and you WILL meet people with alot stronger thoughts about it than myself

taa taa dear

Last edited by milehighsalute; 10-14-2015 at 07:38 PM..
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

Amadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond reputeAmadahy has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

You have given me some things to think about.

Other things - not so much.

I have never though about taking a base ball bat to a child's head. Not how I am wired. I view children as ...well children, not adults.

Now there are a few adults who...I would curse with eternal lice. I would ensure that every piece of food they bit had a maggot in it - or maybe half a maggot and that if they really pissed me off - they slowly rot from the inside out. Maybe use them for target practice ...But not children - I treat them differently.

And - this was not the first post for me to respond to. That would be a bit weird out of all the many options here. This is my - I guess 6 or 7th post. Still not alot under my belt and really - if it hadnt been for the using kids heads like pumpkins on mischief night thing - I probably would have just floated on by.

I have never heard the "thin blood" term before. How is it generally used?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #25
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 68,119.06
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadahy View Post

I have never though about taking a base ball bat to a child's head. Not how I am wired. I view children as ...well children, not adults.

Now there are a few adults who...I would curse with eternal lice. I would ensure that every piece of food they bit had a maggot in it - or maybe half a maggot and that if they really pissed me off - they slowly rot from the inside out. Maybe use them for target practice ...But not children - I treat them differently.

And - this was not the first post for me to respond to. That would be a bit weird out of all the many options here. This is my - I guess 6 or 7th post. Still not alot under my belt and really - if it hadnt been for the using kids heads like pumpkins on mischief night thing - I probably would have just floated on by.

Greetings and welcome to powwows.calm ! LOL
It seems you've come across one of our more avid anti boy scout folks , and I guess he's not totally anti boy scout , just anti appropriator. With that said I'll also say that about 50 years ago , I was a boy scout and I went thru OA initiation. It was retarded then and it's worse now. Or maybe my tolerance for it has lessened ! Boy Scout programs are good as far as teaching outdoorsman skills. To be able to recognize plants , animals , tracks as well as potential food and water sources are important skills.The fact that they've taken a mix of woodlands and plains tribal culture and [email protected] it into an exalted group within their program , is more the issue. It has many native folks upset and as you learn more about your ancestors culture it may also become clearer to you.

The term thin-blood is used in reference to folks who have native ancestry , but are several generations from it and have never been exposed to their culture. I am a tribal member , my children are mix bloods their grandchildren will be thin bloods. As our people assimilate we lose more of our culture with each generation.
Milehigh and I don't always agree on things , but I respect his right to those opinions. His filters aren't as strong as mine and he says things I only think about ! LOL You are new to dealing with ndns so some advice to you would be "don't take everything literally ". Have a good sense of humor and some thick skin ! Sarcasm should have it's own font !
windanncer likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #26
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 69,120.02
OA is just more salt in the wound, more colonial violence and yet another insult. Again the burden falls to us, to make you (a generic reference) see that our intellectual property and cultural patrimony is ours and not yours. And the power structure of conquest and colonization, privileges you to decide whether or not to heed. You can do as you wish and choose to listen to us or not, and we can not punish you as we would one of our own. You have the power to declare your worldview trumps ours.

But should I decide that I like that cute little iPhone thingy and wanted to make my own, the power of the state will land firmly on my neck, as it enforces various national and international IP laws. But, when some little OA minionator copies a piece of sacred society dance regalia -- regalia you have to initiated to wear and granted the right to make -- I have to beg them to stop.

When I try to engage in an educational exchange, more often than not I'm told their intentions negate the harm. Try that with USPTO! When I don't agree, things will degenerate. More often than not, I'm called a word that rhymes with witch and asked to leave them alone. Or I'm told they're going to keep appropriating my culture, changing and distorting its meanings, because they need it for their own ends and they don't see that it does any harm. Then I'm told if I really want to do something, I'd help them with their ethnic drag act and help them steal my people's IP in a more respectful way! Not infrequently, as a kicker, I'm called a disgrace to my ancestors and racist.

(This is not unique to my experience. You can ask any Native person on street. A good 50-60% will tell you a similar story.)

Can you understand?

But rather than rant on, here what I said last time when I had only been trying to explain these things for 45 years. I was more reasonable then, LOL

Just Getting Started

Just Getting Started

Just Getting Started
windanncer likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-17-2015 at 08:02 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #27
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:

ok cool......mission accomplished

why you gotta single me out.....is it the hat? it IS the hat isnt it?

now i will tell you our experiences.....this will be the rare occasion when i DO speak for us all

99% of the time many OA supporters do chew on what we tell them

then they come to the conclusion that they are not like their predecessors and they are much more respectful and they have more of a desire to learn.....all the while ignoring the sentiment ndns feel towards OA

so basically it is "its horrible, i feel for you guys, but i'm going to do it ANYWAYS whether you like it or not.....by the way it is being done out of respect"

that is something pretty much every native on here experienced

i dunno baby....we arent spartans, we arent huns, we arent israelites, we arent romans or any other culture far removed by the years where there isnt anyone to complain.....we are here, we are here now despite your ancestors attempts to eradicate us, and since we are here we have every right to express our displeasure

and WE get to decide what is offensive to us, not you or anyone else outside of our community

so do what you want.....you probably will anyways.....just do your kids a favor and inform them that many ndns may express displeasure at them dancing and explain WHY.....since you want them to be so multicultural well informed on respect its only FAIR you explain to them that they will have what may be regarded as "enemies" the minute they don the COSTUME (yes i said costume...read my earlier posts)

i personally think the rhetoric here is mellow.......its all a bunch of powwow indians that contribute here......wanna see real hostility? why dont you find somewhere that protest indians post and indian activist types and fraud hunter indians hang out and explain your intentions about respect and all and see how they treat ya......powwow indians are pretty mellow even when they are pizzed
Old 10-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
ok cool......mission accomplished

now i will tell you our experiences.....this will be the rare occasion when i DO speak for us all

99% of the time many OA supporters do chew on what we tell them

then they come to the conclusion that they are not like their predecessors and they are much more respectful and they have more of a desire to learn.....all the while ignoring the sentiment ndns feel towards OA

so basically it is "its horrible, i feel for you guys, but i'm going to do it ANYWAYS whether you like it or not.....by the way it is being done out of respect"

and WE get to decide what is offensive to us, not you or anyone else outside of our community

so do what you want.....you probably will anyways....
These are absolutely true statements ! Spot on and exactly right !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

Clarify

To be clear - my sons have no desire to be OA dancers.

They arent even suer why OA has all these stolen rituals. Frankly they would like to see them do away with them. Best way to change something is from the inside.

The likelihood of my sons donning native costume is remote. Much more likely to wear lederhosen..and their kilts. In fact - my sons are pushing to change our dress uniform to allow kilts since the boy scout origin is from the united kingdom.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #30
Pow Wow Visitor

The reason I stopped and commented on your post was mostly the hat....i mean whats with that?

Kidding.

When I read something. I visualize it.

when I read your post about bashing kids heads with a baseball bat - I visualized you attempting to do this to my sons.

My sons are scouts
My sons are members of the OA.

And I am a big time mama bear. I would not hesitate to drop anyone who even attempted to come near my sons and harm them... The mama bear was roaring in my head. I actually wrote and deleted several posts before posting.

Most of what I read just rolls of my back like water on a duck...but my sons...yeah. Someone ever messes with my sons - they will die a horrible slow death - and that is not rhetoric.

Now - the intellectual part of my brain knows that you where not talking about my sons at all...in fact you posted this initial post over a year ago. The intellectual part tells me this has nothing to do with me or mine. Mama bear isnt very intellectual.

Most of the time - when I post in other forums - I urge people to read my whole post - not take one line out of context and react. I hate it when people do that.

So - I want to apologize for doing that and going all hormonal crazy chick on you.

But I also ask you to take me as a whole - not a part. Sure I am scottish and german, mostly, but I know I dont look like my family. They look scottish and german. I am told I have my great grandmothers high check bones and nose structure, her eye shape. My eyes might be green and not brown - but I am not like my blonde haired siblings. My grandfather told me I reminded him alot of his mother - who was Caddo.

I might be a thin/no blood to you...but I have a desire and passion to learn about that drop of blood. I grew up with a mother who talked foundly of her grandmother in texas - her caddo grandmother who farmed and taught my mother all sorts of amazing things. Taught her herbal knowledge. My mom could brew a tea that would stop my sisters asthma attacks in their tracks. She had another nasty tea that she gave us when we had the flu. It would cause us to sweat heavily and then get better quickly. All these she learned from her grandmother. She taught us what plants in the forest we could eat. How to use stinging nettle to reduce a fever. How to brew white willow bark to make a pain reliever. I would like to find out what these herbs where - but my mother is no longer capable of logical conversation.

I play classical flute - but am learning to play native flute (its ALOT harder).

You wont find me joining a dance group or sporting native clothing, but that doesnt mean I do not what to learn about that drop. And be respectful of it.

Lastly - if the white government pushed blood quantification on the native tribes and this was a bad thing....why do you continue with using classifications like "thin blood". It would seem circular in its logic.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #31
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Lastly - if the white government pushed blood quantification on the native tribes and this was a bad thing....why do you continue with using classifications like "thin blood". It would seem circular in its logic.

It's called brainwashing !

We use the term " thin blood" as a descriptor. When you identified yourself you said your grandmother was Caddo......to me that indicates that you don't believe that you are also ! If you ask my children what they are , they will tell you they are Southern Cheyenne. It's what they identify as. They don't say some ancestor was an ndn , they still claim their blood. In the old days you were either ndn or not. The dominant society has brainwashed us into believing that there must be an amount of blood quantum to be ndn. (this was actually suggested by the U.S.Govt. as a way to eradicate the pesky ndns , and later convincingly added into most tribes constitutions)This is a false belief that should be changed , but it's not so easy because of all the money involved.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 10-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #32
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
As for learning, this is good.

Quote:
But I also ask you to take me as a whole - not a part. Sure I am scottish and german, mostly, but I know I dont look like my family. They look scottish and german. I am told I have my great grandmothers high check bones and nose structure, her eye shape. My eyes might be green and not brown - but I am not like my blonde haired siblings. My grandfather told me I reminded him alot of his mother - who was Caddo.

I might be a thin/no blood to you...but I have a desire and passion to learn about that drop of blood. I grew up with a mother who talked foundly of her grandmother in texas - her caddo grandmother who farmed and taught my mother all sorts of amazing things. Taught her herbal knowledge. My mom could brew a tea that would stop my sisters asthma attacks in their tracks. She had another nasty tea that she gave us when we had the flu. It would cause us to sweat heavily and then get better quickly. All these she learned from her grandmother. She taught us what plants in the forest we could eat. How to use stinging nettle to reduce a fever. How to brew white willow bark to make a pain reliever. I would like to find out what these herbs where - but my mother is no longer capable of logical conversation.
I know you don't mean it this way, but a lot of this is very stereotypical -- high cheekbones, dark hair, herbalist grandma.... A century ago everyone's grandma was an herbalist, it wasn't just a Native thing, LOL.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
The term thin-blood is used in reference to folks who have native ancestry , but are several generations from it and have never been exposed to their culture.
If you read closely, this is isn't about blood quantum. It is about culture. The concentration of Native kin to acculturate the children does correlate to blood quantum and location.

What causes a lot of the tension with Native people, is when folks who claim a small amount of Native ancestry, are not acculturated and not intermeshed in our communities, act like they have the right and knowledge to dismiss the mores of our communities. Part of being a Native person is being held accountable to your kin and submitting to your people's values. If you are severed from this, then you are outside the societal constraints of your people.

One of the big differences between many of our worldviews and that of the dominant culture is the role of intention. Centuries of common law have imbued the Anglo-American culture with the concept of mens rea the guilty mind being necessary to transgress law or social norm. If your intention is good, then it fully or partially negates harm.

This is not so in many of our cultures. The structure of the universe takes offense when certain boundaries are transgressed. There are consequences. Roger Welch quoted an Omaha relative explaining this to Welch after he was adopted into their family: "It doesn't matter whether you touch the fire on purpose or by accident. You still get burned."

Your kids may not dance. They may not wear our dance clothing. But the rituals and symbols of OA are appropriated from Native cultures. They have been reinvested with your values, but they still are ours. The entire organization is riddled with stolen intellectual and cultural property. Despite intention, participation is endorsement.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-17-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #33
Pow Wow Visitor

Makes sense.

If I had come and said I was Caddo - what sort of reception do you think I would have gotten - knowing nothing of my great grandmothers tribe?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #34
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
People would have done the shared kin, shared acquaintance search. Native communities only have four degrees of separation, LOL.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

All good info. Thanks.

It is actually VERY helpful.

I am writing a urban fantasy but have gotten stuck because of a lack of knowledge. I worry about getting things wrong - even though the book is totally made up and fictional.

The concept game from my niece. Her father is black. Her mother (my sister) is white. We have encountered the "not white enough to be white and not black enough to be black" issue often. even things as simple as getting advice on how to do my nieces hair - her hair was so different from ours. My sister was met with alot of push back.

So I started with an idea of a half human, half fae woman who was never trully accepted by her mothers culture and didnt know her father. The idea of who is she, what is she. Is she defined by her blood, her culture, something else.

Part of me worries of getting things wrong and offending someone - part of me thinks = I have werewolves in this story...does it really matter if I get stuff wrong.

Have you read anything by Faith Hunter? or Patricia Briggs? They use native american concept in part of their writing. How is it viewed?
Sponsored Links