Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Canada and The AFN - The Crown and First Nations Meeting in Ottawa - Jan 24 Canada and The AFN - The Crown and First Nations Meeting in Ottawa - Jan 24

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlMohawkGirl View Post
I realized after posting my reply that it was posted in haste and I felt bad for a half of a second. The fact that our languages are not important enough to have translated also speaks volumes to me. This saddens me as I witness the lack of respect to all who have come from far away to speak for their people and communities.

Stephen Harper was wise to have not left the meeting early.

I will stop being negative Nancy now and try to find the positive. A lot of our Leaders were heard today and I think it is so important that the dominant population hear the lived truths and realities, not just what is represented in the media.

I can't help but wonder when during Harper's opening remarks that no one in the mainstream picked up that it took an act of parliament in 1960... yes that's 1960 in order for FN persons who lived on reserves to be able to vote. These are not issues that happened 250 years ago as the mainstream would have the population believe our grievances took place.

I fear that the GOC see our youth as fodder for the blue collar fields that no one (even immigrants will fill).
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
Kanien'kehá ka

Items TreeChange User Title49 AccessShark
KewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond repute
KewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,073.21
Savings: 2.00
I think you are on to something here Yaahl. I know that here there is a tuition free apprenticeship program at our local college geared for youth to bring them into the trades. I'm seeing it play out by the MTCU more and more here in Ontario. Shame that we don't see any similar programs helping our youth get university degrees so that they can build upon them and impact our communities on a larger scale.
KewlMohawkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlMohawkGirl View Post
I think you are on to something here Yaahl. I know that here there is a tuition free apprenticeship program at our local college geared for youth to bring them into the trades. I'm seeing it play out by the MTCU more and more here in Ontario. Shame that we don't see any similar programs helping our youth get university degrees so that they can build upon them and impact our communities on a larger scale.
Yes, I see it here too... educators are streaming our kids into the trades...(not that is anything wrong with a trade) but I saw this happen years ago to non-native kids who didn't score high in the IQ tests. "Smart" kids got streamed into the advanced high school classes, the "Trade school" kids got streamed into the general level classes which meant they would never be able to attend university.

I see a lot of commentary by the public regarding the issue of taxation that say that want us to pay taxes. The Yukoners who signed off on their agreement pay taxes. I laugh when I hear Albertans say things about taxes... no one here pays any sales tax... I wonder why no one else in Canada says, AB should be their own way provincially...lol
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links