Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues CBC's The Passionate Eye explores racism - rebroadcast Wednesday. CBC's The Passionate Eye explores racism - rebroadcast Wednesday.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
An URBAN NDN

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Savings: 1.00
CBC's The Passionate Eye explores racism - rebroadcast Wednesday.

INDECENTLY EXPOSED! KICKS OFF THE PASSIONATE EYE'S SECOND SEASON ON CBC TELEVISION, MONDAY, JANUARY 24 AT 9 PM Repeating Wednesday January 26 at 10pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld

"I'm your resident ***** for the day -- welcome to the workshop!"- anti-racism expert, Jane Elliott

That's how anti-racism expert Jane Elliott describes her role in this reality-based documentary that challenges Canadians attitudes towards Native Canadians. "Even nice Canadians are racist." Whether or not you agree, that's Elliott's starting point as she welcomes and bullies 22 Canadians who have volunteered to participate in her internationally renowned workshop. With cameras rolling, she divides the unsuspecting participants by eye color blue-eyes in one group, brown-eyes (many of them Native Canadian) in the other. Elliott turns the tables on the participants treating the blue eyes as "persons of color", confronting and humbling them, while the "brown eyes" get treated with respect.

Filmed in Regina, Saskatchewan, Indecently Exposed! illustrates and exposes how systemic racism continues to thrive in Canada today. It airs Monday, January 24 at 9 p.m. on THE PASSIONATE EYE on CBC Television.

While there have been other films featuring Elliott's workshops, this is the first time Elliot has brought her controversial workshop to Canada, and Indecently Exposed! focuses its attention on the individual Canadian participants who have 'exposed' themselves to her confrontational and highly effective techniques. These powerful insights into the personal lives of the participants, combined with the intensity of the workshop experience, creates an engrossing emotional and psychological drama that plays out as the blue eyes learn what it is like to be targets of discrimination. Amongst the blue-eyes, Joe, a retired teacher and farmer, attributes most of the problems First Nations people experience to troubles with alcohol. Steve, a store manager, thinks the workshop will be a good chance to share his views on racial prejudice with others. Juanita, an elementary school teacher, is afraid of saying the wrong thing. Trent, a young factory worker, has heard the racial slurs at work, but never thought it was his responsibility to do anything about them. They are all in for a shock.

A member of the brown eyed group, Earnest, an aboriginal youth counselor, states, "Racism is alive and well in Regina, and right across Canada." Michelle, a brown-eyed personnel officer concurs, "When you're told enough times that you don't belong here, that you're not good enough, you start to believe it." Maynard, a manager with Saskatchewan Learning and a residential school graduate says, "I was ashamed of being Indian!"

The purpose of Elliott's workshop is "to convince white-skinned people that they are not God's chosen people," by having them "walk a mile" in the other person's shoes - the shoes of a person of colour. For a few hours, the blue-eyes are subjected to the kind of insults and humiliation that First Nations people experience every day of their lives. The goal, Elliott says, is to find even one person who is willing to stand up and change things, to become an activist, to do something about the problem. For some of the blue-eyes participants, the workshop is a life-changing experience. For others, not much has changed. In reality, perhaps brown-eyed Clayton Maxxi puts it best: "We wish this never existed, that it was just a movie, but it's real!"

Indecently Exposed! is directed by Trevor Grant; produced by
Michael Snook of WestWind Pictures for CBC Television's THE PASSIONATE EYE. Catherine Olsen is the executive producer of THE PASSIONATE EYE.
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2005, 03:08 AM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Just finished watching the program. It was pretty good but it ended just like a lot of other things did. Only 2 of the blue eyes returned 30 days later. Most don't want to subject themselves to the things we go through on a daily basis. Gotta give those two that did return their props though. Was a little upset that none of the ndns wanted to go overboard and treat them how we are treated all the time. I mean you haven't really experienced what its like to be us until somebody spits on you. Good show though.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2005, 03:23 AM   #3
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
i watched it also... gods chosen peoiple? i thought it was people from jerusalem..
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 0.00
I would have liked to watch that program... I hate when i miss good shows like that. wonder if it will be on again
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
i'm such a nerd - i taped it. pretty good show now if we could get everyone to watch it
Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Hey dude what's with the quote "Show me the Sonias".
Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff
i'm such a nerd - i taped it. pretty good show now if we could get everyone to watch it

Send me copy? hehehe... I hope they will air it again soon...
Old 01-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
This makes me wish i was a canuck..cha. Sounds like a gooder, i want to see..
Old 01-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
I watched most of the show..i have to admit i wanted to see the 'Brown eyes' really treat those 'Blue eyes' like Sh!t...but then when that gurl explained that they would not want to treat someone that way...i felt bad...im sure i coulda done it tho...lol

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brown Eyed Gurl~
I watched most of the show..i have to admit i wanted to see the 'Brown eyes' really treat those 'Blue eyes' like Sh!t...but then when that gurl explained that they would not want to treat someone that way...i felt bad...im sure i coulda done it tho...lol
OMG, I was picturing you beating that one woman who started crying. I was imagining you saying to her "You better just shut the F*** up you barbie blue eyes." Anyway I wouldn't have had a problem with all of that being nasty either.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:14 AM   #11
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
OMG, I was picturing you beating that one woman who started crying. I was imagining you saying to her "You better just shut the F*** up you barbie blue eyes." Anyway I wouldn't have had a problem with all of that being nasty either.
I would have liked to have heard more of the facts of abuse of our people told to the blue eyes. All the ****ty treatment they got and couldn't handle as adults - our people were treated like that - many of them while they were CHILDREN!

Sheesh - I am amazed by the strength of our people!
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #12
Cloud Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing Eagle
I am amazed by the strength of our people!

I hear ya there SE, Makes me proud to come from such strong roots.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 AM   #13
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi SE
does she do workshops in the United States? about racism?
WPD
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 AM   #14
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
In the end, her theory for the racist attitudes was the dominant society's inability to change the native people. They want to change us to be like them.

I agree. They want us to talk like them, act like them, dress like them, think like them. Their thoughts are - "Those people" will never get anywhere unless they change their heathen ways.

I wish they should just chill. Let us be who we are.

On the other hand, we try to change their thinking too. We want them to respect the earth, air and the water, so that these things will be there for our children/grand-children. We want them to think of the people who will follow our generation. We are guilty of not respecting the way they act/think also.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
Hey dude what's with the quote "Show me the Sonias".
sonias = money (cree - general terms) just give me your addy and i'll send you a copy!!
Sponsored Links