Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Cherokee/Blackfoot ???? Cherokee/Blackfoot ????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #101
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,539.52
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okwataga
When rolls and enrollment started back inthe 1800's it was for the Fed gov't to identify ....some of the early cherokee rolls - before baker - where actually testified to by tribal members as to who was and who wasn't indian...

Fact:

United State's Government dealings with Indians and their lands in the 1800's were one sided - to the point of being corrupt.

Proof:

Consider the Dawes Act and the Curtis Act which overturn almost every treaty made east of the Mississippi and relocate hundreds of tribes to many distant lands.

In the case that you are referring to, and many, many other cases, "government officials had an agenda" - To gain Indian lands!

Sure, tribal members decided who were and who weren't Indian. But the important variable that you left out is..

The Indians who worked on these roles were government appointed!

At the descretion of the government officials who were overseeing these rolls, "names could be added or deleted" - with no accountability!

This includes their own family members and friends who had no Cherokee blood whatsoever! ! !
Old 09-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #102
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
This includes their own family members and friends who had no Cherokee blood whatsoever! ! !

Perhaps this is where the "Cherokee Princess" lineage began?

Old 09-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #103
Pow Wow Visitor

sixsapaha is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
First let me say that there are several communities (not wanting FEd rec. as far as I know) that are Blackfoot from the eastern areas of the USA, further more thanx for the slanted DNA Indian comment, as for wanting to belong to a "tribe" don't need that!
AS for being Native American and belonging to a community that has had a strong Identity, I already do so YES to that!
As for wanting to be accepted as an "Indian" , Iam cool with who and what I AM.
Iam not asking any of you for any thing other than respecting the Native people that say who they are.
I personally know people that are as white as the driven snow and they are still considered Indian! from staus groups!
So I guess tribal cards are everything and that defines who Indian people are.
AS for thje disefranchisement of your children my apologies, and that is what you have posted EAP7
Oh. did I tell you that my family did live on a reserve at one time and that besides the Blackfoot ID there is another tribal group, there aswell, ?
So lets go with the "ITALIAN THING" again, yes if you went to Italy they'd would not have a problem with you exploring your Italian heritage, learning Italian, doing Italian dances and feasting, even if you don't look Italian " whatever that is?
I wish that was true for this countries people!
If we were to boot out the children that did not look just like th rest of us, it wiould be a very lonely place!
Lastly did I tell you that in Canada I am a person (NAtive American in part and accepted in those terms) and in the USA many people only see us as the "N" word!
Now I know why the Eastern people keep to themselves!
Thanx for the chat.........
sixsapaha is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #104
~Erica~

eap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsapaha
So I guess tribal cards are everything and that defines who Indian people are.
AS for thje disefranchisement of your children my apologies, and that is what you have posted EAP7
Oh. did I tell you that my family did live on a reserve at one time and that besides the Blackfoot ID there is another tribal group, there aswell, ?
So lets go with the "ITALIAN THING" again, yes if you went to Italy they'd would not have a problem with you exploring your Italian heritage, learning Italian, doing Italian dances and feasting, even if you don't look Italian " whatever that is?
I wish that was true for this countries people!
If we were to boot out the children that did not look just like th rest of us, it wiould be a very lonely place!
Now I know why the Eastern people keep to themselves!
Six,

I wish you weren't getting so upset because its making this chat difficult to follow. But to address a few of your points above...for the last time, I'm not saying "tribal cards are everything and define Indians". I specifically said they DON'T define who is Indian, but who is a tribal member. I don't think anyone here has said they define who is Indian. Nor has anyone brought up looking Indian or living on a reserve has qualifications...no one but you.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree that if an American moved to Italy and wanted to become Italian, it would happen. There's a difference between exploring a heritage and becoming a citizen and legally identifying as Indian or Italian or whatever, but you don't seem to be getting that.

I don't know if you were referring to my children's disenfranchisement....I hope not, as I have no children that I know of....uh oh.

Don't get defensive when people say things you don't want to hear. No one will learn from one another, and "that's why Eastern people keep to themselves?" That's a cop out. I was born in Massachusetts and have lived most of my life there. I think that's pretty "Eastern"...
eap7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #105
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Whome - have you read an actual application?
do you -presonally recognize - the names on the applications? the testifiers?
not wanting to argue here - I do know of some of the people that wrote and testified to who was applying for enrollment
depends on what area of the country as to who really wasn't questioned and who raises an eyebrow when applying.....

people need to go ahead and let go of what was done and work to improve what will be done
right now we are getting our rolls audited - to make sure everyone, since the baker roll was made, has been enrolled properly according to enrollment requirements at the time of their enrollment...
Once again if you are indian, one or both of your parents are indian, and their folks were indian, and so on and so on..... you cannot skip generations and come up and say hey I'm indian, cause my grt grt grt gma was full blood.... - what about the generations in between

Sorry think I got off track there
but like most tribes, when you meet someone the usual first questions: where are you from, who are your folks, depending on tribe - what are your clan(s)(born to, born for)(one of the seven)....
connection to your tribe is a strong relevant need, as well as blood, knowledge and hopefully language( the ones that have not died out yet)
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #106
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Whome - have you read an actual application?
do you -presonally recognize - the names on the applications? the testifiers?

Okwataga,

Have I read the application? Of course *L and here is the criteria for applying:

The membership of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians shall consist of the following:

(a) All persons whose names appear on the roll of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina, prepared and approved pursuant to the Act of June 4, 1924 (43 Stat. 376), and the Act of March 4, 1931 (46 Stat. 1518);

(b) All direct lineal descendants of persons identified in section 49-2(a) who were living on August 14, 1963; who possess at least 1/32 degree of Eastern Cherokee blood, who applied for membership prior to August 14, 1963, and have themselves or have parents who have maintained and dwelt in a home at sometime during the period from June 4, 1924, through August 14, 1963, on lands of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in the Counties of Swain, Jackson, Graham, Cherokee and Haywood in North Carolina;

(c) All direct lineal descendants of persons identified in section 49-2(a) who apply for membership after August 14, 1963, and who possess at least 1/16 degree of Eastern Cherokee blood.

(Ord. No. 284, 8-2-1996; Ord. No. 352, 12-3-1998; Ord. No. 645, 8-5-1999)

___

There are Cherokee rolls that were taken at different points in time and locations that I am aware of including:

Eastern Cherokee Rolls listing 1817 Reservation Rolls
1817-1835 Cherokee Emigration Roll
1924 Baker Roll
1835 Henderson Roll
1848 Mullay Roll
1851 Drennen Roll
1851 Siler Roll
1851 Old Settler Payroll
1852 Chapman Roll
1869 Swetland Roll
1883 Hester Roll
1896 Old Settler payroll
1908 Churchhill Roll
1909 Guion Miller East

For the Eastern Band of Cherokee, you must prove descent from the Baker Rolls. For citizenship in the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, you must prove direct descent from the Dawes Commission Rolls. Both sets of rolls had residency requirements, which is why many people won't find their ancestors in them.

Would I recognize the names on the applications and tesifiers?

No. I'm not Cherokee.

____

Back to the original question....

In your opinion, is there a Cherokee Blackfoot tribe?

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-07-2006 at 11:23 AM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #107
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Opps forgot to include the application:

(a) All persons who meet the membership requirements contained in section 49-2 but who are not listed on the membership roll of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, who request membership in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians must file an enrollment application. Applications for minors or incompetents may be filed by parents, guardians, or other sponsors such as social workers. No one will be considered for enrollment unless an enrollment application has been filed by the individual or a sponsor.

(b) When and where to file an application. All enrollment applications must be filed with the Enrollment Clerk or such other person as may be designated by the membership committee of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. Application forms may be obtained by oral or written request from the Eastern Band Tribal Enrollment Office. Applications for membership may be filed at any time. However, in order to be considered for the per capita payment to be distributed in December of the current year, applications and all documentation required to establish lineage and blood degree must be received by September 15 of the current year. Any applications received after September 15 or any applications received before September 15 without all the required documentation will be processed for consideration for inclusion on the membership roll to be used for distribution of payments in subsequent years.

(c) What the application must contain. Each enrollment application must be completed in its entirety and must contain sufficient personal information to properly determine the applicant's eligibility for enrollment. Applications must show the following:

(1) All names by which the applicant is known;

(2) The address of the applicant;

(3) The applicant's degree of Eastern Cherokee blood;

(4) The names of Eastern Cherokee ancestors whose names appear on the 1924 Baker Roll of the Eastern Band, together with the names of Eastern Cherokee ancestors in generations between that roll and the applicant;

(5) The name of the Tribe and degree of Indian blood of any Tribe other than Eastern Cherokee, as certified by other Tribe;

(6) The Social Security Number and a copy of the Social Security card of the applicant or a copy of the completed application for a Social Security card. An application shall not be considered incomplete due solely to a delay by the Social Security Administration in issuing Social Security cards;

(7) The county and state of birth and a county certified birth certificate (state certified birth certificates will only be accepted when the county does not issue birth certificates);

(8) The status of natural or adopted applicant;

(9) The signature of the applicant or sponsor;

(10) The date of the filing of the application; and

(11) A completed, signed, and dated IRS Form W-9.

(d) Proof of lineage. The burden of proof is on the applicant. The application for membership must be accompanied by the original copy of a certified birth certificate issued by the appropriate governmental entity where the birth occurred. In addition, the Enrollment Committee may, at its discretion, require the submission of one or more of the following documents to establish to its satisfaction that the applicant has the lineage and blood quantum required by Tribal law:

(1) A marriage license for the parents of the applicant;

(2) A notarized paternity affidavit signed by the biological mother and biological father of the applicant;

(3) A court order determining paternity;

(4) The results of DNA test signifying the probability of paternity; and/or

(5) Other similar documents which are needed for a specific applicant.

Effect of court order of paternity. An order determining paternity issued by the court of the Eastern Band is evidence of lineage and shall be given due deference by the Enrollment Committee. An order determining paternity issued by a court other than the court of the Eastern Band shall be appropriately weighed, along with other evidence, by the Enrollment Committee. If information submitted in support of an application for enrollment does not include an order determining paternity issued by the court of the Eastern Band or does not establish, in the discretion of the Enrollment Committee, that the applicant has the lineage and blood quantum required by Tribal law, the Enrollment Committee shall require DNA testing of the applicant and other necessary persons.

(e) Adopted Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians child. An adopted person's eligibility for enrollment is determined through one or both of the natural parents. Documentary evidence submitted to support an adopted person's application for enrollment must show relationship to the natural parent through whom eligibility for enrollment is determined. The information shall be contained in locked file cabinets, and adequate safeguards shall be installed to ensure that the confidentiality of these records shall not be violated.

(f) Adoptions by this Tribe of Indian children from other federally recognized Indian Tribes. It is recognized that some persons have been adopted into membership in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians pursuant to Tribal Resolution 381 (1977) and that such persons are entitled to retain their membership. However, Resolution No. 381 (1977) is hereby rescinded as of the effective date of this amendment to the enrollment ordinance (8-9-1996), and persons who do not possess the required lineage and the required degree of Eastern Cherokee Indian blood shall not be adopted into membership regardless of their degree of other Tribal blood or their status as legally adopted children of Eastern Band members.

(Ord. No. 284, 8-2-1996; Ord. No. 566, 1-12-2001; Ord. No. 670, 3-17-2001)
Old 09-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #108
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
sorry not the current application to the EBCI

but the applications from Miller

which is what the Baker Roll is also based off of

like I said before not wanting to argue
Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #109
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
sorry not the current application to the EBCI

but the applications from Miller

which is what the Baker Roll is also based off of

like I said before not wanting to argue

*L You mean I did all that posting for nuthin' ?/?

Like I said, I am not Cherokee and probably wouldn't even recognize your last name!

__

ONE MORE TIME ....

Back to the original question....

In your Cherokee opinion, "is there a Cherokee Blackfoot tribe?"

----

"NO FIGHTING, No Fighting, no fighting...."

Shakira
~Hips Don't Lie~

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-07-2006 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #110
Senior Dancer

no

there are most likely cherokee with blackfoot blood or blackfoot with cherokee blood , but not a tribe of them

actually reading the applicaiton you posted was good reading

I did not have to go through that - back in my day we just took in a birth certificate that had the enrolled parent name on there

and my last name is Arneach

okwataga is my grt grt grandfather
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #111
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
no

there are most likely cherokee with blackfoot blood or blackfoot with cherokee blood , but not a tribe of them
We AGREE! Yesssssss*

(I knew the Shakira quote would work!)

Quote:
... my last name is Arneach

See? I don't recognize either name.

But it is always interesting to see how everybody got their screen names!

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-07-2006 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #112
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsapaha
First let me say that there are several communities (not wanting FEd rec. as far as I know) that are Blackfoot from the eastern areas of the USA, .....
Six,

Hmmmm?

Care to name them and their locations?

Do the members of the Blackfoot Confederacy or Blackfoot band of Lakota acknowledge these "eastern area Blackfoot communities?"
Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #113
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Yeah, I'd have to see some actual proof that there's any Blackfoot band Lakota or Blackfeet blood in the East. Highly doubtful!

I think that "blackfoot" just came from have black feet. No offense to anyone. I have some good friends with black feet.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #114
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
I have some good friends with black feet.

wyo,

But?

Do you have any goot friends with...

"Flat feet and Black heads?"

*L

j/k
Old 09-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #115
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojapi4Me
I've noticed a lot lately that many people are claiming to be Cherokee/Blackfoot. I know that the Blackfeet Tribe of Montana is relatively small so how are all these people a mixture of Cherokee and Blackfoot? Granted, most of these are of the...how do you say...well, we'll just say "out there" persuasion.

Has anyone else noticed this?
the thing is blackfoot is one of my tribes...from my understanding when a person says cherokee/blackfoot their probably from the same tribe as me...ya see long time ago in kentucky there was one of my tribes that lived there before it was burnt down by bush wackers well when the trail of tears came along they picked up cherokee-blackfoots and didnt know what to call them so so many they just put down them as cherokee when they werent and many of them after identified themselves cherokee -blackfoot only because the government mistakenly recognized them as both...in matter of fact blackfoot wasnt the name of our tribe it was the name of our chief...i know your probably confused*lol* but thats how things went back then especially with small tribes...white ppl are so confusing i think they confuse themselves purposely*lol*
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #116
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
Yeah, I'd have to see some actual proof that there's any Blackfoot band Lakota or Blackfeet blood in the East. Highly doubtful!

I think that "blackfoot" just came from have black feet. No offense to anyone. I have some good friends with black feet.
nope blackfoot is totally differnt from blackfeet...the only way a person can be blackfoot and have a lakota blood is that there was a cross mingling so to speak of sioux and siouan so that mean of that family tree that person was mixed with the siuano family tree...
like with my family we are hidatsa, osage and blackFOOT
the hidatsa side of the family comes from the siouan side of the tree and the blackfoot the same side.if someone id's themselves as hidatsa_siuox that mean somewhere along the line there was intermingling with both sides of the family tree of sioux and siouan...so there are alot of us blackfoots out there but we really truly aint blackfoot its just the name of our chief and we sort of adopted the name because thats how the govt recognized us as that...ya know i think im repeating myself*lol*but we are totally different even from the blackfoot up in canada ...we are also a legit tribe just alot of us never became enrolled many of us like that side of my family went into hiding in the hills area of missouri cuz there was too many things that was going on during the time
Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #117
Teen Dancer

Quote:
no

actually reading the applicaiton you posted was good reading

I did not have to go through that - back in my day we just took in a birth certificate that had the enrolled parent name on there

and my last name is Arneach

yup yar right...but no theres still a tribe of them otherwise my family wouldnt be who we were ...the blackfoot tribe just never got recongized and we still aint...but just because we aint registered that doesnt mean we aint no tribe...we're split off alot of us some in missouri and some in kentucky where we were originally from
Old 09-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #118
Pow Wow Visitor

I see that you people have not read anything and that you haven't gotten over your own jokularity, what a total waste of time this has become!
WEll all I can ask is if you are so well informed why are your opinions so deformed!
One question though "when is the first recorded use of the term "BLACKFOOT" in written history"?
let me share the following with you...

www.mitsawokett.com/Blackfoot.htm
Blackfoot Indians, Blackfoot Town/Dagsboro, DE

From Brenda ([email protected]), who writes regarding "BLACKFOOT & Mitsawokett", 1 Aug & 31 Dec 2003 -

...Blackfoot Town (Dagsboro) was very near Millsboro. Although I believe it was Maryland at that time, it is now Sussex County, Delaware. The history of the Indian River Indians here supplied may interest you.

...Although the name was changed to Dagsboro in 1785, the Maryland Archives, Volume 0192, Page 0119 still uses that name when calling for a road to be constructed from Somerset to Blackfoot.

I thought I'd seen Indian River mentioned before. I'll quote from a post on the www.saponitown.com message board. The gentleman writing this is an academic, a historian I believe, who lives in Chicago and carries the Blackfoot identification in his family. He goes by the pen name of Bess Veney. This is the only piece of solid historical documentation pairing the Saponi/Tutelo with the Blackfoot monicker I've yet to hear of.

http://www.saponitown.com/forum/show...y&pagenumber=2

Bass Veney writes:

Saponi/ Tutelos were indeed located near Dagsboro/ Blackfoot Town prior to 1747. The writings of J. Thomas Scharf, the noted Historian of Delaware,(1) places the Saponi/Tutelo amongst other tribes inhabiting the southern part of Delaware (most likely Sussex county) in the 1700s. Here is what Scarf says in 1880:

"The ...Scackamaxons, Tutelos, Nanticokes and many others occupied the lower country toward the coast, upon the Delaware and its affuents."(2) We don't know exactly how this group of Saponi/Tutelo ended up in this area, but the solution of that problem can be taken up at another time. The main point is that the Tutelo according to Scharf were in lower Delaware at an early date.

Another citation places Saponi/Tutelo in the vicinity of the South Delaware in 1742. Tutelos (recorded as Totra) residing at Conoy town, Lancaster county, PA, along with Seneca, Shawnee, and Nanticoke, were a part of a famous plot for an Indian uprising in lower Delaware, at the portage of the Indian River area and the Pokomoke river on the MD/DE border. The name of the place was Winnasoccum Apparently, groups of Indians at Conoy town, including the Tutelo, did travel to the MD/DE border. Here they met some of the local Nanticokes and "Indian River Indians" to put the plan into action. Details on this plot are recorded in the Maryland Colonial records. Here is what is said about these events in testimony on June 30, 1742:

"Letter No. 78:
Maryland ss | Dochester Co. | The Examination of Jacob Pattasahook, one of Nanticoke Indians taken before me one of his Lordships Justices of the peace for the County aforesaid saith about a month ago this Examinant was at Coney Town on Susquehana River and was told by the Indians of said Town that the Senaca and Totra Indians in Conjunction and by the advice of the french had agreed to Cut of the English Inhabitants in Pensylvania Maryland and other adjacent parts of this Continent and the Indians in Somersett and Dorsett County and to that End the Senaca Indians were soon to go to Philadelphia to Dispose of some part of the Lands for Arms and Ammunition and haveing so done the Senaca, Totra, and other Indians were in roasten Ear and Apple time to fall upon the Back Inhabitants and at the Same time the french who was to come by Sea, were to Land on the Sea bond side of Somersett County in order to meet the said Indians, and further this Examinat Saith not, his June the 30th 1742 Jacob [c Pattasahook Certified by Henry Trippe marke"

This reference can be found at this address online:http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/m.../000001/000042/ html/am42--654.html

After the plot was foiled most likely some of the Tutelo stayed on in the area. So by solid historical accounts, around 1742, Saponi/ Tutelo Indians were near the region of what later became known as Blackfoot Town. The multi tribal population of this area decreased over time but a remnant survives to today. It is established as the Indian River Hundred Nanticoke organization and has an office and museum in the town of Millsboro, which is a few miles form Dagsboro

In the 1930s and 1940s, several government ethnologists visited the Indian River Nanticoke population living near Blackfoot Town. C.A. Weslager, the noted researcher on the Lenni- Lenape and Nanticoke Indians interviewed a Joshua Hitchens on Oct. 25, 1941. When asked about his genealogy, Hitchens said his father's family "were members of the Blackfoot Tribe."(3) Weslager did not endorse this statement of tribal affiliation nor did he try to openly attack it. Instead, he tried to claim that the Blackfoot tribe identification, in question, resulted from Blackfoot Town being a place name. Of course it is ludicrous to claim that the Blackfoot tribe spoken of by Hitchens has nothing to do with Indians, given that Blackfoot Town sat on Indian River. Indian River has been known by this name since 1640 in court records of Worcester County, Maryland, and later in Sussex County, Delaware. "Indian River Indians" who in fact were an amalgamation of the Nantcoke, Assateague, Saponi/Tutelo and others, appear in county documents and Maryland colonial records as early as 1700. Pulling this all together, what makes sense is to recognize that

1. The Saponi/Tutelo Indians who lived about Indian River were responsible for name "Blackfoot Indians" mentioned by Hitchens.

2. Because they lived there, the "Blackfoot Indians" gave their name to an Indian town located along Pepper creek, a tributary of Indian River, which later became known as Blackfoot Town. Blackfoot Town is the result of contact with the Blackfoot Indians not vice verse.

Linda's overall point is correct on Blackfoot Town in Delaware. However, the exact location is off by many miles. Blackfoot Town/Dagsboro is located about 100 miles directly east and slightly south from the point she mentioned in western Maryland. Blackfoot Town sits on the headwaters of "Indian River". This river and the area around it is located in what was formerly Somerset and Worcester counties, MD, but with changes in the state boundaries about 1763, it is located in what is today Sussex County, Delaware. One needs to get a map of Delaware and focus on the southeast coast along the Atlantic Ocean. Indian River dominates the geography of Sussex county. Its headwaters are inland about 20 miles in the swampy marshes near the MD border, and it flows from west to east and empties into the Atlantic Ocean. Dagsboro sets on a creek flowing into Indian River. It is a very remote area, even today, and the largest town near Dagsboro/Blackfoot Town is Georgetown.

Linda, despite the error in location, your main point on timing is absolutely correct. The Blackfoot Indians living at Blackfoot Town/Dagsboro, DE, in 1747 predate, come before, the fictional diffusion of the so-called Western Blackfoot "ID" into the Southeast during the 1880s. Also, this group of Saponi Blackfoot Indians (1747) predate the first appearance of Sihasapa Lakota Blackfoot in European and American records, which did not occur until about 1851. Prior to that, the precursors of the Sihasapa are known to us only by the names of leading families which at that time are living within other groups, i.e., with the Yanctonies.

The Blackfoot represented by the Saponi and the Sissipahaw appear in records way before the western Blackfoot, the Sisksika and the Sihassapa Lakota. Your observation that the Eastern Blackfoot is older than those in the west is supported by facts. All this points to the reality that the Eastern Blackfoot identity developed on a local basis in the Southeast and was not imported. True there were some cases of actual migrations of Sihassapa individuals and families into the Southeast during the 19th century. But they can be fairly recognized through genealogy research and are extremely small in number. Their presence cannot account for the wide spread existence of the Blackfoot ID in the Southeast.

References:

1. J. Thomas Scharf History of Delaware 1609-1888, L.J. Richards & Co. (1888) vol. 2, 1888, p.20
2. Ibid Scharf:20
3. Weslager,, C. A., The Nanticoke Indians— Past and Present, University of Delaware Press, Newark, p.198.

edited for space.

Finally I personally know of people with family from Blackfoot Town that were buried in a Blackfoot ID,ed cemetary in IA.!
BTW Iam sure the slice was all yours.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #119
Chicken Dancer

Niitsitapii will become famous soon enough
Blackfoot Cherokee

OKi napiks. Ok this is so funny.. Blackfoot(SIKSIKA), Many Chiefs(Kainaiwa) aka Bloods, Blackfeet(Amskapipikani) southern Scabby Robes, Peigan(Apatohtsipikani) Northern Scabby robes. these are our bands there is no blackfoot or feet that eastern there all confused about what there talkin about cause they just don't know. as for the sioux band there wat they are too but this whole cherokee/ blackfoot thing is lame and i am tired of hearing it.. mostly Siktsapikwaiks claiming this anyway. Our people our from montana and alberta., everytime some one tells me this i laugh inside eh and just yeah wat family are u from.. u from montana or alberta what band they don't know. so let them think if they want to its ok.. they can thing wat they want but damn wish they would know.. lol so we don't have to explain it.. Aight peace.. kitakitakmahtsin ..
Niitsitapii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #120
Pow Wow Visitor

LIke I said just another waste of time. Oh yeah just so you know SIXSAPAHA is not Algonquin it's Eastern Siouan, Tutelo to be exact, sorry about your DUCK!
Sponsored Links