Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Chief Bigfoot's Moccasins in private school museum Chief Bigfoot's Moccasins in private school museum

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ikwe Mukwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Chief Bigfoot's Moccasins in private school museum

In the summer of '95 I went to the Thacher School in Ojai, CA for a Summer Science Program. While was there I checked out their museum/library they had on campus. They had a display case with Chief Bigfoot's moccasins in it and the picture of him after he passed away. Apparently the soldiers stripped off and sold items from those who were killed. His moccasins ended up there at the school.

I was just wondering if someone could possibly get them back to the tribe. I've tried to call the council members from the different Lakota tribes but they really didn't think it was a major issue and I never heard back from them.

Is this an issue that should be pursued? I don't know what the Lakota ways are regarding something like this. I myself think that something should be done about it but I don't have the foggiest idea on what would need to be done. Would they have to be taken back and buried with him or for him, or IS IT okay for them to be on diplay like that why the council members acted like it was no big deal?
Ikwe Mukwa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
What I believe you are referring to is the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), which is a Federal law passed in 1990. NAGPRA provides a process for museums and Federal agencies to return certain Native American cultural items -- human remains, funerary objects, sacred objects, and objects of cultural patrimony - to lineal descendants, culturally affiliated Indian tribes, and Native organizations. Big Foot's moccasins may or may not qualify as an object of cultural patrimony. Although Big Foot was killed at Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge Reservation, he was Mniconjou Lakota. Therefore, you may want to contact the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, if you have not already done so.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Ikwe Mukwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Unhappy

Yeah I did try that reservation also but nothing was ever done, to my knowledge anyway. I don't know what to think about it, the tribe's lack of interest in something like this. I would like to see them taken out of that museum. It just doesn't seem right to have them on display like that.

I tried to ask the Thacher school about them if they still have the mocassins but I stll haven't heard any response from them.

I don't know.....
Ikwe Mukwa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links