PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/)
-   -   Clothes Designers Stealing Navajo Yei Symbols (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/clothes-designers-stealing-navajo-yei-symbols-69209/)

AmigoKumeyaay 03-23-2015 05:28 PM

Clothes Designers Stealing Navajo Yei Symbols

Tribute or theft? - Navajo Times

Joe's Dad 03-23-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1616191)

You don't make money when you PAY tribute.

But do you think other culture's really give a sh!t about 'paying tribute' or 'honoring'?

They use these words to justify what they are stealing.

OLChemist 03-23-2015 10:02 PM

There is another dimension to the fashion culture which contributes to this kind of thing. There is no copyright protection for clothing design. (Not to be confused with copying trademarked design elements like the Gucci symbol or the Nike swish.) So, there are no well defined legal boundaries.

USPTO background on the Design Piracy Prohibition Act

Wikipedia: Design Piracy Prohibition Act

Add to that an artistic culture which exalts offense and trespass, and secular humanism's innate contempt for the sacred and religion, no matter the source. Of course you get this kind of thing.

It isn't just Native people's sacred symbols. They commit sacrilege within their own culture. At the risk of showing my age, anyone remember "Piss Christ"? There is a fine line between commentary and disrespect. I find many artists don't know where that is.

If you can't respect your own culture, how can you respect another's?

Ndnsoldierboy 03-24-2015 03:47 PM

Would a woman wear any of these, "clothes" to the local supermarket? :lol: Oh man, that is some ugly stuff. :razz: :laughing:

Spiritflight 03-24-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndnsoldierboy (Post 1616227)
Would a woman wear any of these, "clothes" to the local supermarket? :lol: Oh man, that is some ugly stuff. :razz: :laughing:

Nah, some of them clothes are chimney sweeper new fashionable uniforms

Harland Jones 03-25-2015 03:31 AM

I was at a local retailer the other day.Seen Ralph Laren label on a polo shirt.I think a 5 year old could of painted a better picture of a Native American.This shirt cost $55.00.That was marked down.

Not me.I don't think so.:disagree:

renia58 03-25-2015 05:13 AM

fascinated me shoes ,
whether they are comfortable ?

RDNKJ 03-25-2015 12:15 PM

Oh, my. Those are some ugly clothes. Some of them remind me of a cross between a Michael Jackson outfit and the wicked witch of the west's guards from The Wizard of Oz!

I did enjoy the hair pipe bodice (at 6:57) and dress (at 8:11), though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by renia58 (Post 1616260)
fascinated me shoes ,
whether they are comfortable ?

Comfortable? LOL In English we have a saying, "Beauty knows no pain."

(Not that I think those shoes are beautiful in any way, shape or form!)

Just wondering if there is a similar saying in Polish?

OLChemist 03-25-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDNKJ (Post 1616267)
...the wicked witch of the west's guards from The Wizard of Oz!

I'm glad someone else was hearing: "O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!" as she walked by in that outfit.

renia58 03-25-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDNKJ (Post 1616267)
Oh, my. Those are some ugly clothes. Some of them remind me of a cross between a Michael Jackson outfit and the wicked witch of the west's guards from The Wizard of Oz!

I did enjoy the hair pipe bodice (at 6:57) and dress (at 8:11), though.

Comfortable? LOL In English we have a saying, "Beauty knows no pain."

(Not that I think those shoes are beautiful in any way, shape or form!)

Just wondering if there is a similar saying in Polish?

there is a saying:

if you want to be beautiful suffer (:

Spiritflight 03-26-2015 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renia58 (Post 1616275)
there is a saying:

if you want to be beautiful suffer (:

It's a german saying too which I don't agree with, as everyone can be beautiful however, no need to suffer because of beauty!

renia58 03-26-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritflight (Post 1616287)
It's a german saying too which I don't agree with, as everyone can be beautiful however, no need to suffer because of beauty!

Sometimes worthwhile to suffer for the cool about effect, look good, I do I do, I like to be vain (:

Spiritflight 03-26-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renia58 (Post 1616292)
Sometimes worthwhile to suffer for the cool about effect, look good, I do I do, I like to be vain (:

Since when is a person who suffers good looking? Suffering = Sadness and not vanity :lol:

renia58 03-26-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritflight (Post 1616299)
Since when is a person who suffers good looking? Suffering = Sadness and not vanity :lol:

Suffering can hide by freely and do not altered behavior, I know anything about it, so I was doing a lot of of times, the result was satisfactoryhttp://www.gify.net/data/media/366/m...razek-0213.gif