Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues CNN, Outkast and Conan O'Brien CNN, Outkast and Conan O'Brien

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redskyndn is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
CNN, Outkast and Conan O'Brien

Last night I got excited because I saw a segment on CNN that I thought was going to address this issue with atleast maybe one
American Indian. Well, the lead went something like this.
"These days everything one is offended by something..." and they go on to talk about how Conan O'Brien has offended the people in Quebec with "Truimph the Insult Dog." Conan apparentlly went around Quebec saying some pretty negative things about people from Quebec with his hand puppet. This segment seemed to be about a minute give or take. Anyway, then they went into the story about Outkast and how the performance had offended some American Indians--a 30 second sound bite. I was pretty ticked off. They completely diminished
the impact of how this whole thing has affected us. I have surfed all over the net to gage reactions. Ended up on one site that completely blew me away. Badeagle.com, David Yeagley says he's comanche, side kick Betty Gross says she's Lakota anyway--these two have to be the most racists so-called Indians I've ever come across. Yeagley feels it's OK for whites to imitate us because they have 'earned' the right...man oh man. I've read through some of the posts in the petition...the one that hurt the most was from some idiot saying they should have gotten rid of all of us when they had a chance. Other things around the net that bit were the Indian apologist that insist we have other issues that are more important...Anyway, sent an email to the NAACP, Outkast is up for their Image award, I asked them if they remember Ted Danson and Whoopi Goldberg's Blackface Routine and if they would have honored either of them... Sent the petition and NAACP address to atleast 100 people. Posted info where ever I could...Gheez, I think I just saw a dog dress up in feathers on Wolf Blitzer's report on CNN. As I said to friends and family, yes, there are other important issues--this is just one of many. I think we are up for it. The petition had 9027 signatures last time I checked. Good work to the folks over at Indianz.com forum for their work on this. The flames' mom.. Nahyssan2003
redskyndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2004, 01:59 AM   #2
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Yeah, that Yeagly guy is a straight up racist piece of sh!t. And wasn't that Betty Ann Gross the one that got banned from the Indianz.com message boards? They still talk about her over there (they refer to her as BAG) cause she was such a racist. In fact, if I remember right, her racist, moronic posts got Indianz.com in trouble with the Southern Poverty Law Center, who monitors white-supremacist and other racist groups... it was nuts, but they banned her wannabe racist azzzzzz....

Back in the early 1900s, W E B DuBois wrote about what he called "accomodationists" like Booker T Washington - basically black folks who said slavery wasn't so bad. DuBois said they were full of crap and merely trying to kiss the masta's *** to get table scraps. Yeagly is nothing but an accomodationist.... and I've never in my life seen or even heard of him in Comanche country in SW Okla.... that in and of itself says alot.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 AM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Thumbs up

Wow, I had forgotten about the Ted Danson and Whoopi bit... Good point to make !!!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:25 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

KasperGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Halloween

this our story....

My 14 year old said or asked me what would happen if we all dressed up like white people on Halloween. He went on about how he had seen someone dressed in a Native "costume" and tried to describe how it looked, thinking that I would know who he was dressed as, he thought the kid wanted to be a great chief, one he admired (but we know better, they don't).
It just left him confused and angry when his classmates thought it would 'cool' if he also wore a war bonnet, dressed as an Indian. He didn't know how to reply or tactfully reply to all that.
He didn't want to start anything and felt ashamed and defeated. Then he sees the same thing on TV, national.

it was wrong

okay that is all
KasperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links