• 2 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 1 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By AmigoKumeyaay
  • 2 Post By ThePaleFaceRiderCNO
  • 1 Post By gilisi
  • 1 Post By eagleclanriverband

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Dependability of Feather Repositories??? Dependability of Feather Repositories???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 337.37
Savings: 0.00
Dependability of Feather Repositories???

First off, Im NOT seeking a way to get around waiting periods. Im actually a very big supporter of the salvage system.

My question is, when should I hear back from these repositories?
I sent my certification of tribal enrollment to The Choctaw Nation in Oklahoma, so as of now im waiting on my tribal confirmation. But I have heard of people getting "put on the back burner", primarily by the non-eagle repository. I know what the estimated wait period is for various sets of feathers and parts. But im more curious about the actual process's time.
Has anyone had any difficulty with getting the "green-light" with these forms before?

Thank you,
Yakoke!
ThePaleFaceRiderCNO is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,373.83
Welcome to powwows.com!

I've never personally ordered from the non-eagle repositories. Since you can only have one request in at a time from either repository, I'm in line for eagle feathers.

I know of one friend who ordered from the Sia Repository and he had no problems; it was filled within a year. Though this was several years ago, and of course it depends on inventory at any given time.

It's interesting....I notice that the non-eagle repositories don't have the same info available (that I could find) on estimated wait times, on number of requests received and on their track record of filling orders like the FWS has from the eagle repository. So who can tell (???) when they don't publish statistics.

There used to be a lot of problems with the paperwork on US govt. side and long delays waiting on fulfillment...going back decades lots of NDNs I know complained about the eagle repository. Since they changed the rules, it's a lot better. Don't know if it's true, but I heard part of the problem before were prisoners.

In my case, 1st time I tried before the changes, it took 6 months for me to hear from this idiot US Govt. worker who denied approval because of 2 words. There was a difference between "Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin" and just "Menominee Indian Tribe" written on the form. I was like, wtf...you gotta be kidding me! There's only 1 Menominee Tribe in the US and we happen to be located within the state of Wisconsin. A quick google search or a call to the tribal offices could have cleared it up in a matter of minutes. But that didn't happen!

LOL! Then I lost the papers in my house & had to start over. I had no problems the 2nd time and the shipment came just in time for my son's graduation! Like it was meant to be.

In my experience, the US FWS folks don't like answering the phone. LOL! I've called several times & all I get is a msg & no one returns my call.

Good luck!
wardancer and LISA IRONMAKER like this.
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

ThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond reputeThePaleFaceRiderCNO has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclanriverband View Post
Welcome to powwows.com!

I've never personally ordered from the non-eagle repositories. Since you can only have one request in at a time from either repository, I'm in line for eagle feathers.

I know of one friend who ordered from the Sia Repository and he had no problems; it was filled within a year. Though this was several years ago, and of course it depends on inventory at any given time.

It's interesting....I notice that the non-eagle repositories don't have the same info available (that I could find) on estimated wait times, on number of requests received and on their track record of filling orders like the FWS has from the eagle repository. So who can tell (???) when they don't publish statistics.

There used to be a lot of problems with the paperwork on US govt. side and long delays waiting on fulfillment...going back decades lots of NDNs I know complained about the eagle repository. Since they changed the rules, it's a lot better. Don't know if it's true, but I heard part of the problem before were prisoners.

In my case, 1st time I tried before the changes, it took 6 months for me to hear from this idiot US Govt. worker who denied approval because of 2 words. There was a difference between "Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin" and just "Menominee Indian Tribe" written on the form. I was like, wtf...you gotta be kidding me! There's only 1 Menominee Tribe in the US and we happen to be located within the state of Wisconsin. A quick google search or a call to the tribal offices could have cleared it up in a matter of minutes. But that didn't happen!

LOL! Then I lost the papers in my house & had to start over. I had no problems the 2nd time and the shipment came just in time for my son's graduation! Like it was meant to be.

In my experience, the US FWS folks don't like answering the phone. LOL! I've called several times & all I get is a msg & no one returns my call.

Good luck!

Oh wow!
That kinda figures I guess, when it comes to the Govt. doing their jobs.
See I initially thought that you could only have one request in at a time for either one of the repositories, as in only one per. Perhaps I'm going to run into some problems there since I put in for some hawk parts too :/
Oh well, ya live and learn!

That's awesome to hear about the Eagle feathers getting to you right on time for your son's graduation. What kind of order did you request and how long did it take?
I'm just curious because this is my first time.
I live in Anchorage, Alaska. So I'm more than sure that I can find some Bald Eagle feathers laying around this spring, but even that, somehow, is a violation. But I really don't think anyone up here is going to enforce that. I'd be more comfortable if I had that permit first though.

Thanks for your insight Eagle Clan!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60,750.48
Savings: 1.00
The "non-eagle" repositories have nothing to do with The Eagle Repository. So basically you CAN have an order pending at both places , although only 1 at The Eagle Repository and 1 at the Non-Eagle Repository. You may not apply to both "Non-Eagle" Repositories at the same time.I typically only deal with the folks in Colorado and they've always been very helpful. I even have one of the workers e-mail , which is much easier than the phone. But they do HAVE to talk to you before they will ship you anything !
Years ago , when I first applied , we had to have a known tribally recognized Holy Man sign the paperwork ! Now they've made it much easier , although I wonder if that has contributed to the shortage of feathers ???
Now , in my opinion , the Permit office folks are the ones that I can never get in touch with. Used to be that every permit had every feather they sent you listed ! LOL Now there's supposed to be a "Lifetime" permit that doesn't itemize , but I haven't seen it !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #5
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
@wardancer, Yo, Hi there; Happy New Year! Thanks for the clarification about the different repositories; wouldn't be & isn't the 1st time I misread the rules, aaaye?!!...LOL! Thx, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaleFaceRiderCNO View Post
What kind of order did you request and how long did it take?
ThePaleFaceRiderCNO, so I ordered 10 quality loose feathers (immature golden) & they arrived in about 7 months. They called me about a month or so ahead of time & asked if it was okay to substitute & I said okay.

I've heard stories that the US FWS coats the quills of feathers w/some infrared chemical or something & at powwows US agents can tell which ones come from the repository. I have also heard that the way FWS handles/processes isn't according to our traditional ways. I haven't been back home since I got my feathers, but I'm gonna take them to someone who is in our Big Drum & who knows how to make them right. Just a suggestion, you might want to think about doing the same kind of thing according to your tribal customs with the feathers you receive.

Like wardancer mentioned, there is supposed to be a new lifetime permit. I've seen the old time letters that he has/talks about. (I got the new type of letter.) Last year, wardancer was kind of enough to help me understand & clear up my confusion between these letters & permits (when my own family was blowin me off..LOL!). I'm still waiting...I haven't seen an actual permit yet either, but I've got an official MB Permit#.
wardancer, windanncer and gilisi like this.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
@wardancer, Yo, Hi there; Happy New Year! Thanks for the clarification about the different repositories; wouldn't be & isn't the 1st time I misread the rules, aaaye?!!...LOL! Thx, again!

ThePaleFaceRiderCNO, so I ordered 10 quality loose feathers (immature golden) & they arrived in about 7 months. They called me about a month or so ahead of time & asked if it was okay to substitute & I said okay.

Congrats , you got lucky ! I changed my order cause I waited about 9 months and they called and wanted to send me immature balds. I told her I ordered immature goldens and she acted like I was wrong. I told her she was wrong and she pulled my order and saw she was indeed wrong. Then she told me it could/would be another 10 months. When I complained she told me I could change my order. I did.

I've heard stories that the US FWS coats the quills of feathers w/some infrared chemical or something & at powwows US agents can tell which ones come from the repository.

I don't think I believe that ! Some of my feathers are 3 generations handed down. I have a couple that are close to 150 years old. I also have a bustle that the feathers were given me by one of our Holy men and didn't come from The Repository.

I have also heard that the way FWS handles/processes isn't according to our traditional ways. I haven't been back home since I got my feathers, but I'm gonna take them to someone who is in our Big Drum & who knows how to make them right.

That should always be done !

Just a suggestion, you might want to think about doing the same kind of thing according to your tribal customs with the feathers you receive.

Like wardancer mentioned, there is supposed to be a new lifetime permit. I've seen the old time letters that he has/talks about. (I got the new type of letter.) Last year, wardancer was kind of enough to help me understand & clear up my confusion between these letters & permits (when my own family was blowin me off..LOL!). I'm still waiting...I haven't seen an actual permit yet either, but I've got an official MB Permit#.
Still waiting on my "lifetime Permit" ! LOL And Happy New Year to you also ecrb !
windanncer and gilisi like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 01-09-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Old 01-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
What did they substitute ? Balds instead of Golden ? Just wondering !
windanncer likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
What did they substitute ? Balds instead of Golden ? Just wondering !
Yes, Balds.
windanncer likes this.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Yes, Balds.

Yeah , they do that to everyone ! Big shortage of immature goldens.
windanncer likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #10
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,476.66
The federal government has slashed personnel budgets everywhere. My own agency has been hit hard. I would suspect the slowdown at FWS feather / parts repositories is same.

That being said...this is my last year where I'm working, I will have to shift into other gov't work...maybe...FWS? Hmmm....better be nice to me
windanncer likes this.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
The federal government has slashed personnel budgets everywhere. My own agency has been hit hard. I would suspect the slowdown at FWS feather / parts repositories is same.

That being said...this is my last year where I'm working, I will have to shift into other gov't work...maybe...FWS? Hmmm....better be nice to me

Hehe
Remember us if you get the job man lol

Thanks for the insight, I'm sure that's probably why they got slower. That and the growing demand.
I would assume that there's less agents out there too to collect and process these birds.
windanncer and AmigoKumeyaay like this.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60,233.44
[QUOTE=eagleclanriverband;1623193] I have also heard that the way FWS handles/processes isn't according to our traditional ways.

Thanks for contributing here ECRB.... just curious if you would be willing to share the details about what you have heard.

Thanks
windanncer likes this.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
Hi Gilisi,
I'll need to talk with my brother-in-law.
gilisi likes this.
Sponsored Links