Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues DNA Tests & Blood Types DNA Tests & Blood Types

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #21
Loving Life

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RainbowSpiriDancer is a name known to all
Credits: 200.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Good detective work, BB. Probably was smallpox.

Well, O+ is the most common type in America, most common type in African Americans, most common type in Native Americans in general. (Googled it)

Here's a link to show some groups: Racial and Ethnic Distribution of ABO Blood Types - BloodBook.com, Blood Information for Life Interesting about the Blackfoot group and Eskimos. I'm still wondering how I got my B+....must be the attitude...
Thanks for the info. The more I talk about it, the more I can remember. It happened during the 1960s and we lived in Bronx, New York, at the time. Our community (court of buildings) were basically Puerto Rican People with a few West Indian People and a few Italian People but there were not any American Black People that I can remember. However, I went to school with children of all races and ethnic origins. And "court" means a group of several apartments buildings inside a court. Our court had 4 apartment buildings. Well I don't mean any disrespect but my mom did not trust white doctors so my doctor was Puerto Rican. The clinic was about 5 or 6 blocks from our house and bascially poor people went to the clinic and white doctors didn't come into our neighborhood anyway. And I can remember that when my mom talked about it with me, years later, my mom laughed about the doctor saying that O blood is common in America and in American Indian People. My mom told me that "O blood can't help but be common in America because America belongs to the Indians, and just about everyone that came across the ocean mixed with the Indians."
Also, when I did research back in the 1990s, for my first book, I searched the death records regarding the people from my family that lived and died in Piney Woods. I found that many of them died with smallpox, TB, and typhoid fever. Hope I spelled typhoid right. So it could have been smallpox that I had. I had never thought of that. And I do know that lots of Mexican and Puerto Rican People have O blood too. Did you hear about the young Mexican girl that died at Durham here in North Carolina a few years ago? They gave her a kidney transplant and if I'm can remember correctly, the kidney was A blood type and she was O blood type. You can probably find out about it on the internet.
RainbowSpiriDancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #22
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:

Well, O+ is the most common type in America, most common type in African Americans, most common type in Native Americans in general. (Googled it)

Here's a link to show some groups: Racial and Ethnic Distribution of ABO Blood Types - BloodBook.com, Blood Information for Life Interesting about the Blackfoot group and Eskimos. I'm still wondering how I got my B+....must be the attitude...
I just did a quick browser search for smallpox and read through it till I found what made sense. I tried to find a tie to bloodtypes and severity of the disease and came up with nothing other than it is more susceptable in some DNA and RNA vector types (at least that's what I think it said lol).

O+ is the most common type worldwide at I think I read 62% global. What they mean by most common type in Native Americans in general is to say that among native americans it's the most common blood type. Not that we have cornered the market on it so to speak. So when that doctor told your mom that everyone came over and mated with natives and that's why there are so many type o+ blood types here, he was full of it.

I don't care what race a doctor is, I care more about their education and credentials and unfortunatly in the poorer or ethnic areas you don't get your cream of the crop types working with you.

Kinda like the doctor in the clinic 7 years ago telling me I had a sun allergy because my fair skin was breaking out in these awful rashes and I had a slight sunburn after a weekend at an outdoor powwow. I could'nt believe that I had developed overnight a sun allergy and I was right. Come the following year, same time of year it happened again... I'm very allergic to cottonwood is what it is and that powwow area was enclosed by blossoming cottonwood trees and their sticky pods were falling and landing on our arms and legs and the cotton flying through the air.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #23
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
All the reading I have done on this and reading all the posts on the subject brings me to this conclusion

Spend your money on a genealogists if you want to know ancestry.
Not DNA testing!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #24
Senior Dancer

Dyami has a reputation beyond repute
Dyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
All the reading I have done on this and reading all the posts on the subject brings me to this conclusion

Not DNA testing!

I agree DNA testing is only good if you are trying to find out if there are any genetic problems before you have children. My son had DNA & Chromosome testing just to make sure he had nothing wrong with his genetics just to prove he has Autism which I knew without the testing but went ahead and had it done anyway incase I have more children in the future. And as far as Testing for ansectry 2 of my grandparents were full native american and two others were 1/2 native american and our blood type is AB+ so I think genetics testing for these reasons is a joke. I watched long time ago on discovery channel that these aren't accurate cause there have to be numerous people to test the rests against and noit enough natives are going to just volunteer some blood and trust some quack scientist. Just my 2 cents.
Dyami is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post

Not DNA testing!

If you don't have family/genealogical records to point you in the right direction don't expect science to tell you if you're NDN or not, or how much...
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #26
Loving Life

Thanks to everyone that replied to my question. I appreciate the information.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #27
Loving Life

Quote:

This post is just to let you know that I've visited the link that you posted and I appreciate it. Very good information. According to the chart on the site, I see that the O blood type is the only blood type among the Bororo Indians, Peru Indians, and Shompen (Nicobars) Indians. I guess these remote groups of people that still live on their native lands did not intermingle with other races, and now that I've visited the link, I can understand why my doctor said to my mother that O blood was common among Native American Indian People before the arrival of other races. And since he was a Puerto Rican Indian, I'll bet he knew what he was talking about 100%. Plus, since the Navajo is one of the largest or the largest group of North American Indian People in this country according to that chart on the link; over 70% of Navajo People have O blood type. Meanwhile, I'm not saying that my "guess" is true. Also, the following information below from that link is very interesting because at the end of the last sentence to me it is basically saying that some people don't like to shake their family tree for fear of what might fall out.

"There are racial and ethnic differences in Blood type and composition. The ABO Blood group system was discovered in 1901 and since it is of major importance in medicine, samples have been diligently collected from the most remote of people groups for a century. Of no other human characteristic is so much data available. Most populations have migrated and mixed. Unfortunately the reliability of the Blood data for assessing relationships between population groups is very limited. This is mostly due to the lack of availability of this important data. As the chart reveals, the frequency and purity of the four main ABO Blood groups varies in populations throughout the world. Great variation occurs in different groups within a given country; even a small country, as one ethnic group mixes, or not, with another. Publishing the ethnic differences in Blood type and the racial differences in Blood type is not, in the present-day world, considered to be politically correct. We compile and maintain this database through often times confidential sources. Every Blood gathering entity in the world must gather this information to stay in business, but almost every one of them is afraid to publish the racial and ethnic differences in Blood type, given the emotionally charged political climate."

Last edited by RainbowSpiriDancer; 01-10-2008 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #28
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
You can always look at only the data you want to see. Data is skewed everyday to support this claim or that claim.

Yes, type O is the most common among ndns, but it is also the most common (listed on the charts) with USA blacks and USA whites.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #29
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
I agree with OLChemist, North of Ada and Josiah.............ya'll hit the nail on the head (so to speak).
If you don't have a family history of Indian family..........then your probably not.
You need to get to know your family and family history........that'll better tell you what you need to know.
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #30
Junior Dancer

annie_griffin has a reputation beyond repute
annie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,323.57
new question

Rainbow Spiridancer,
I couldn't help but wonder. Did you get sick before or after the vaccine?

-annie
annie_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #31
Beadin' Beadin' Beadin'

OneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant future
Wink "Full-blooded"

Hello Everyone ... I am new as well and was just browsing through new threads.

Lately, I have been looking at books for design ideas for my regalia. I have read one specific book a few times over throughout my life and while reading it again a few weeks ago I noticed a statement in there that I hadn't before. I'm just interested in hearing other Natives' opinions on this.

Iroquois Crafts, Carrie A. Lyford, page 10.

"There are probably no full bloods among the Iroquois in the United States, as admixture with the Dutch, English, Welsh, French and other Europeans began at an early date and has continued through the centuries."

How valid do you think this statement is? Do you think it is that way among all Natives? If so, then what defines "full bloods" today?

My father is Oneida and my mother is white, French Canadian to be exact. I did not grow up on the "rez" and just recently I have heard a few comments from cousins up there about derogatory comments about "half breeds" that surprised me in this day and age. So my curiosity has been piqued.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Live. Love. Laugh.
-[]-[]-/\-[]-[]-

Last edited by OneidaGirl928; 04-29-2008 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: OCD
OneidaGirl928 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 83,841.55
People have been intermarrying since people figured out two could tango. There is no gene that makes us Indian. There are genes that give us various traits, but none of them are culture. All of us are mixed bloods.

(No, I'm not fool enough not to realize that phenotype has societal implications. I'm just ignoring that for the moment.)

Full-blood is a borrowing from the pseudo-scientific morass of social Darwinism. It's part of the same poison brew that gave us white Europeans as the the most enlightened (and lightest) and black Africans as the least. (Heck, by their reckoning I must be only half female, since my Dad wasn't, LOL.) It gets only one thing right: Culture is transmitted by family.

If everyone in your family is modeling (insert your nation here) behavior, you exhibit (your nation)'s mores and manners in appropriate circumstances, you speak your language, and your community recognizes you as (your nation) then you are enculturated as fully (your nation). No gene is going to make you do any of those things.

However, the catch is community recognition and membership. If your folks are matrilineal, and descent can only be passed through mom, then if mom isn't you aren't. And this is where the sword of tribal sovereignty comes into the picture.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #33
Junior Dancer

annie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond reputeannie_griffin has a reputation beyond repute
Culture

OL chemist,
Excellent.Culture also is usually not isolated. In the same way that blood mixes so do cultures and mores.
While it is true that family is a source for culture and mores.
In this day and age it is not the only source and may not even be the primary source.
Traditions (assuming they are beneffcial and desirable to a group) need protecting and culture needs preserving. However
in the same way that one should not assume something is better because it is new one should also not assume something is better because it is old.
I find that the concept of purity in terms of race or culture is a dangerous concept.

How this relates to what you posted I have no idea.

I did want to ask what do you mean by
The sword of tribal soverignty?
-annie
Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #34
Beadin' Beadin' Beadin'

OneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant futureOneidaGirl928 has a brilliant future
Thank you OLChemist and Annie G for your responses.

Being of mixed blood I am pretty open minded where all races are concerned. I'd like to say I'm a logical thinker and I try to be very fair in any judgements I make. It makes me sad that some Native people are so "snobby" (for lack of a better word). My cousin that told me the things that were said on the rez was pregnant and the father was white. They were said to her. I think that is just awful. However, I admit to being biased ... for obvious reasons. LOL I just wanted to hear/read some other opinions.

I've experienced the other side of the spectrum as well though. Since moving to the south and encountering different Native groups down here, I realize I have a lot to learn about their backgrounds, but it just seems to me that the 'Natives' that cast stones and talk bad about other groups of Natives or are extremely gung ho about living 'tradish' and secluded down here are of questionable lineage themselves.

I just don't understand why it is such a big deal how much you are or aren't - unless you are abusing the system or being disrespectful to our heritage - as long as you are participating in keeping the traditions going the way they are intended. I'm proud of being (part) Native and whenever I have the opportunity I try to educate others about that part of me since I believe any type of discrimination is born of a closed and/or uneducated mind.

We are matrilineal. I was told by a family member to go up to the rez during the Winter Ceremony to sit before the Clan Mothers so they may decide which clan I belong to. When my parents married, my mother was registered as a member. While it won't change for her, they no longer do that, for obvious reasons.

Thank you again for your responses and for allowing me to share my opinions.

Live. Love. Laugh.
-[]-[]-/\-[]-[]-
OneidaGirl928 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #35
Loving Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_griffin View Post
Rainbow Spiridancer,
I couldn't help but wonder. Did you get sick before or after the vaccine?

-annie
From what I can remember, it was after the vaccine. I can remember my mom saying that I had already had the vaccine. Since I was young, I don't really know what vaccine she was talking about.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #36
Loving Life

Quote:
You can always look at only the data you want to see. Data is skewed everyday to support this claim or that claim.

Yes, type O is the most common among ndns, but it is also the most common (listed on the charts) with USA blacks and USA whites.

Your statement about "always look at only the data you want to see," is true. But there comes a time when one learns that life is an illusion and it's time to look through the illusion and see the truth. And it could be that type O is the most common among USA blacks and USA whites because they are mixed with USA ndns.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #37
Loving Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaGirl928 View Post
Thank you OLChemist and Annie G for your responses.

Being of mixed blood I am pretty open minded where all races are concerned. I'd like to say I'm a logical thinker and I try to be very fair in any judgements I make. It makes me sad that some Native people are so "snobby" (for lack of a better word). My cousin that told me the things that were said on the rez was pregnant and the father was white. They were said to her. I think that is just awful. However, I admit to being biased ... for obvious reasons. LOL I just wanted to hear/read some other opinions.

I've experienced the other side of the spectrum as well though. Since moving to the south and encountering different Native groups down here, I realize I have a lot to learn about their backgrounds, but it just seems to me that the 'Natives' that cast stones and talk bad about other groups of Natives or are extremely gung ho about living 'tradish' and secluded down here are of questionable lineage themselves.

I just don't understand why it is such a big deal how much you are or aren't - unless you are abusing the system or being disrespectful to our heritage - as long as you are participating in keeping the traditions going the way they are intended. I'm proud of being (part) Native and whenever I have the opportunity I try to educate others about that part of me since I believe any type of discrimination is born of a closed and/or uneducated mind.

We are matrilineal. I was told by a family member to go up to the rez during the Winter Ceremony to sit before the Clan Mothers so they may decide which clan I belong to. When my parents married, my mother was registered as a member. While it won't change for her, they no longer do that, for obvious reasons.

Thank you again for your responses and for allowing me to share my opinions.
Very nice post! And you are 100% right when you say that any type of discrimination is born of closed and/or uneducted minds. For that reason, I do not get upset if I receive snooty replies to posts or insults.

As for me, I've learned to treat insults like pi**ing in the wind.

I'm a people person and I've been through a lot myself because life is rough sometimes especially living in the south. Plus, I've always heard that victims of abuse, abuse others.

To change the subject a little, I have a dear friend/sister that lives in Montana and she's keeping me posted on the situation with the Mohawks of Tyendinaga. The OPP is invading them but the Mohawk Warriors are standing calm and firm. From the information that I've received, they are inviting any people that are related to the Mohawk People of Tyendinaga the opportunity to help out. And this situation is an example where people related to the Mohawk Nation can help no matter if these relatives are mixed with black and Mohawk or white and Mohawk or black/white/Mohawk.

This is another example why I feel that anyone with ndn blood that really love their people should not be kicked aside and rejected because they don't live on the reservation or they have black and/or white blood. If we stand together, we can do anything! We can win! The land belongs to us to take care of because We are the land!

As for me, I don't have to pay a genealogist to tell me who I am because I already know. I've conducted the research myself for many years. I've talked with the Elders in my family and other families as well. I'm happy and satisfied. I'm not trying to join a federal tribe or get a tribal card. I'm interested in Indian affairs because I am ndn and I will help out. I'm really into the Ancestors!

I came to this site because I enjoy meeting new people and listening to their thoughts. I learn from listening and I've learned many things that I didn't know. I've tried not to insult anyone and if I have, I apologize. I love the song "Colors of The Wind," especially the line where it says, "You'll learn things you never knew you never knew!" The people on this site know lots of information but they don't know everything because no one knows everything. I'm sure they learn new things too. Some of the replies that I get are good and true, some are racist, some are wrong and I know they are wrong but I appreciate reading what others think anyway. I don't argue because I know what I know. Plus I believe in "Make love not war!"
Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #38
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 83,841.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_griffin View Post
I did want to ask what do you mean by
The sword of tribal sovereignty?
A sword is a weapon. Our sovereignty is a legal weapon to defend our people, our lifeways, and our land. Tribal control of tribal membership criterion is a means to protect and preserve our ethos and resources.

However, use of any weapon can cause harm. Any time you have a system that excludes there will be those who feel they are illegitimately disenfranchised -- see the current outcry over the Cherokee Freedmen.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #39
Junior Dancer

Thank you for the update

Rainbowspiridancer,
I hope my replies were respectful. I mean well but you know I was dropped on the head a few times as a child.
I asked about the vaccine because I wondered if that was what made you ill. I am sorry you went through that but happy to be speaking with you now.
I didn't know about Tyendinaga Mohawks being surrounded by
police. I pray all is well. I will never understand how or why money has become more important than people.
Thank you for the update. I think Censored News has information
about what is going on.

I think the word Tyendinaga translates to
"our strength shall be in unity"

annie
Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #40
PowWows.com Addicts

Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 24.00
I've always hated those blood test things! My birth mother was half Coctaw, half Scot's, my birth father was full blooded Creek. In high school they did the dna blood test in class, looked at my family history and then at me and said it's not possible. I looked native, only with blue eyes. The blood tests came back B-, supposebly pure white.
My hubby who also has Creek blood, brown eyes, ect.. also has B- blood. So do several of my cousins.
Like I said, I hate these tests. Ol Chemist is right it's who was doing who somewhere up the line before us.
To me being Native, is in my heart, in the way I was raised and not what my blood type is.