PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/)
-   -   Explaining to non-natives why war bonnets are NOT a fashion accessory?? (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/explaining-non-natives-why-war-bonnets-not-fashion-accessory-69095/)

Misscorinne86 01-21-2015 03:54 PM

Explaining to non-natives why war bonnets are NOT a fashion accessory??

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this shirt the other day at a store, and shared on my instagram account why it was not cool. A friend genuinely did not understand how it was disrespectful. I explained that it was essentially dishonoring our elders who have done great deeds and made sacrifices to earn each eagle feather in their war bonnets. I also explained that it was comparable to seeing a person wear a Marine Corps Dress blue jacket, with regular slacks, just for the fashion of it. It is wearing an item of clothing or earned item that was NOT rightfully earned and it disrespects those that have put the proper effort forth and earned it.

He thought I was posting it because I was honored to see a shirt with Native culture on it.... I had to stop the conversation because he literally did not understand how it was offensive. I explained in so many ways but...you can't educate some I guess.

wardancer 01-21-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misscorinne86 (Post 1614454)
I explained in so many ways but...you can't educate some I guess.

You said it all , right there. It's been said over and over.:thinking:

White Powwow Dancer 01-21-2015 10:57 PM

I found this to read An Open Letter to Non-Natives in Headdresses | ‚pihtawikosis‚n

subeeds 01-22-2015 02:52 AM

As long as there are so called "celebs" like the Kardashians, and so forth, who think it's just fine and dandy to wear something simply because it's cool, people won't get it. It's kind of like a salmon trying to swim upstream-some will get it, a lot won't.

AmigoKumeyaay 01-22-2015 10:41 AM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...62_306x474.jpg

xTekno 01-22-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misscorinne86 (Post 1614454)
I saw this shirt the other day at a store, and shared on my instagram account why it was not cool. A friend genuinely did not understand how it was disrespectful. I explained that it was essentially dishonoring our elders who have done great deeds and made sacrifices to earn each eagle feather in their war bonnets. I also explained that it was comparable to seeing a person wear a Marine Corps Dress blue jacket, with regular slacks, just for the fashion of it. It is wearing an item of clothing or earned item that was NOT rightfully earned and it disrespects those that have put the proper effort forth and earned it.

He thought I was posting it because I was honored to see a shirt with Native culture on it.... I had to stop the conversation because he literally did not understand how it was offensive. I explained in so many ways but...you can't educate some I guess.

@Misscorinne86, you know, if you were to put a pair of glasses on you along with a similar bonnet, that image on the shirt could be you!

wanjica_the_one 01-23-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1614489)

I see nothing wrong with Cher in her contemporary regalia.

AmigoKumeyaay 01-23-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1614568)
I see nothing wrong with Cher in her contemporary regalia.

I see nothing wrong in Cher & I sneaking away somewhere secluded...:tounge_sm

gilisi 01-24-2015 01:25 AM

Be careful guys...thats really sonny bono in a cher suit hahaha

DeafElderWoman 01-24-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1614489)

This is not a regalia. This is the costume that many of native women don't wear like that. The producer or her agent want her to wear this sexy costume for her performance. The colorful headdress remind me of the Mardi Gras which in New Orleans (I have never been there) some of the black natives were wearing that for entertainment.

I don't know if Cher was respecting Native Americans or just don't seem to care. :sad_smile

wanjica_the_one 01-24-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeafElderWoman (Post 1614590)
This is not a regalia. This is the costume that many of native women don't wear like that. The producer or her agent want her to wear this sexy costume for her performance. The colorful headdress remind me of the Mardi Gras which in New Orleans (I have never been there) some of the black natives were wearing that for entertainment.

I don't know if Cher was respecting Native Americans or just don't seem to care. :sad_smile

Don't be a killjoy. We need our eye candy too.

AmigoKumeyaay 01-24-2015 11:34 AM

Cher claims to have Cherokee ancestry from her mother's side. Her father was Armenian. Cher was born in a tiny rural hospital in El Centro, CA.

The Tchopatoulas "Afro-Indians" of Louisiana dress up in Mardi Gras outfits, by the way.

Misscorinne86 01-24-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xTekno (Post 1614505)
@Misscorinne86, you know, if you were to put a pair of glasses on you along with a similar bonnet, that image on the shirt could be you!

Haha! I do usually wear glasses...however I would never wear a war bonnet.

WhoMe 02-02-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misscorinne86 (Post 1614605)
Haha! I do usually wear glasses...however I would never wear a war bonnet.

I've been on the front lines of educating the public on this issue through the various media including Here's Why You Shouldn't Wear A Native American Headdress - MTV.

At first celebrities wore warbonnets because they were uneducated about its meaning to Indian people. But now most ARE educated and choose to wear warbonnets and other Native regalia to gain publicity. SMH!