Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Extreme Home Makeover! Extreme Home Makeover!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
yohoh-yo:yanehiyo-ohho-!!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
smoke_dancer_20 is a splendid one to beholdsmoke_dancer_20 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Extreme Home Makeover!

i just done watching the ABC special Extrem Home Makeover and what an emothional show. the family of the Late Lori Piestewa were presented with their new home....man oh man there wasn't dry eye in our home as we watched the special
smoke_dancer_20 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

siouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond repute
siouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond reputesiouxper_lady has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 0.00
I used up half a box of tissues... I think they did a great job with the house and the VA complex. Pilamaya to Ty and the gang!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
oh my god that house was beautiful - lori would have been soo proud. and what really got me was those pics of her children holding the folded american flags...
Old 05-22-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Kleenex company cleaned up this evening.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Thumbs up

wow...im waiting for it to be on here (near the pacific ocean eh)i just have tp

oh its on now..laterz

Last edited by middle of the sky; 05-22-2005 at 11:07 PM..
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

dancnbrd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 380.00
My family cried through the whole show!! Especially when they got to "Lori's" room. The pics with the kids holding the flags did it for me!!! The house and view was beautiful! It was touching to see all the vets get their building also!
dancnbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
oh, I wish I had seen this show.....I once toyed with the idea of submitting my brother and sister-in-laws house for a makeover...but I didn't know how the show would handle all the tribal housing authority and governmental red tape about working on a rez house...did this show mention any of that stuff?????????????
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
They didn't really makeover a house. They had a trailer. They just built another house from the ground up in a different location.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 AM   #9
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Thumbs up

that was a real good show(s)...
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 02:23 AM   #10
303 tHaS hOw iT bE!

lakota_mami303 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancnbrd
My family cried through the whole show!! Especially when they got to "Lori's" room. The pics with the kids holding the flags did it for me!!! The house and view was beautiful! It was touching to see all the vets get their building also!
^^^that got us too...all girls watchin too had a crying fest goin on....it was a really good show tho...im so happy for that family...it was real nice of them to build that building for the veterans too
Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 AM   #11
Shmiles With Eskimo Pride

nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,364.92
Thumbs up That was a great show

this was a great show tonight, not a dry eye here too and talk about shivers ... it was great to see that happen.

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
Join my on my face book fan page:
nt_inuk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 AM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Tell me about it.. I'm not a big crier over anything and I was bawling my eyes out the entire show. I was super impressed with the way those folks did their homework and remained respectful and did'nt buy into all the stereotypes! And also how they got other native communities involved with this whole process like the california tribe that donated the land, and the navajo men who built the hogan and .... well I'm just so happy for that family! Did you guys hear them talk about wanting to do more homes for native americans?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
JIMMY HENDRIX ROYALTY

NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
tonight they will show.. "how did they do that" on ABC so if you missed it you can see at least part of it with a clip of this and of that. :)
Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
Notoriou'sly'

La + * Mom is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 180.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Tell me about it.. I'm not a big crier over anything and I was bawling my eyes out the entire show. I was super impressed with the way those folks did their homework and remained respectful and did'nt buy into all the stereotypes! And also how they got other native communities involved with this whole process like the california tribe that donated the land, and the navajo men who built the hogan and .... well I'm just so happy for that family! Did you guys hear them talk about wanting to do more homes for native americans?
DITTO!!! I said the same thing that their presentation on the cultural aspect was decent. I was bawling my eyes out when Mrs. Piestewa was saying thank you and her speech about that the world would be a more blessed place if everyone were to get along...man, that was awesome!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
DatLumbeeTurtle

i think it was wonderful that they not only gave her family a new home, but also helped the other veterans and people in the community
~~ must say i was misty the whole time!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #16
smoke & ladies tradish

3ndnbear is a name known to all
Credits: 170.00
Thumbs up

That show was incredible! It was really a blessing for that family and community. I will have to shop at Sears more often. They really did good for EVERYONE on that rez. I was so proud watching that show last night. To see how touched the entire cast and crew of Extreme Makeover was by the gratitude and generosity of our Native people was amazing. What other culture give as much as we do? What other culture show gratitude more sincere, heartfelt and greater that we do? What ever we have we will give and it was really nice to have someone do and give so much back to our own. I am not Hopi or even remotely related by blood but I would like to say NYA WEH to all those who did help. Prayers were answered.

3ndnbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
This moving season finale was excellent! It was a tribute to see so many tribes: Navaho Nation, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, Tex Hall (NCAI President, Three Affiliate Tribes), Hopi Dancers, Intertribal Powwow Singers - working toward one common goal - To honor a Great Warrior, Lori Piestewa.

For myself, it was great to see Indian people in the mainstream of Prime Time Television. It was also great to see Indian people as we really are, an integral part of modern society.

Soooooo many good things were accomplished with this show!

__

Did anybody see the series "500 Nations" on cable television this weekend? Whew, it was equally excellent! It shared so many untold facts about how our land became "their" land! This series was hosted by Kevin Costner and was produced about 8 or 9 years ago.

Anyway here is some information that I learned:

*George Washington distroyed neutral Iroquois villages during the Revolutionary war.
*President Thomas Jefferson was the father of assimilation.
*President Andrew Jackson said, "burn a fire under the Indians and once it gets hot enough, they will leave their lands." (referring to the Cherokee after gold was 'discovered' on their lands in Georgia).
*The "Indian Ring" referred to Indian agents who set up a network to profit from Indian rations meant to be distributed to reservation Indians.
*Reservations in Indian Territory were broken into tracts of lands called allotments. Some of these allotted lands were registered in the name of dogs and horses in order for nonIndians to get more land. Indian Orphans were quickly adopted so that their allotments would eventually go to their adopted nonIndian parents.

Last edited by WhoMe; 05-23-2005 at 12:10 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
"apache star thinks it's AWESOME!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
For myself, it was great to see Indian people in the mainstream of Prime Time Television. It was also great to see Indian people as we really are, an integral part of modern society.
well put - and i agree!
this show is so awesome in what they do - provide for those less fortunate families w/what they're deserving of... but this time they really went far beyond just the family - they gave to the community and the vets - how awesome is that!?
those vets were so appreciative of their new building and all that it represented - that really made me cry!
everyone was so humble and greatful for what they were gifted with - it just made it that much more better! and they were reciprocating too - that was just sooo cool!
the house is just spectacular! i lubbed the ball pit, that looked so much fun and lori's room was just filled w/spirit!
after shedding tears w/the fam while watching this show... my dad busts out with "so when are they gonna feast!?"... cause you know how skins are... always ready to eat!
haha - whadda great show!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #19
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
I was tears and lulus during the whole show!!!!!!!!!!!

My mom had a question about Hopi culture though and I don't know if this is appropriate for the internet, so if the answer is not, someone give me a heads up.

Would the memorial room be a problem for the Hopi? Some tribes don't keep things of the dead out like that because it's like keeping them around when they would want to be on the other side. We thought it must be okay for the Hopi, especially since her parents seemed so happy. Man, the whole thing was just amazing.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #20
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
lmao @ extreme makover trying to build a navajo hogan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
and the navajo men who built the hogan and .... well I'm just so happy for that family! Did you guys hear them talk about wanting to do more homes for native americans?
LMAO! @ the crew trying to build the hogan! It would not work for them at first... because first of all..they weren't Navajo..its a traditional home that only the navajo's know how to build....not trying to sound negative here or whatever...but i got a good laff outta reading an article about them trying to build the hogan! I guess that is one home that these professionals are not able to build! But I'm glad some elders from my tribe stepped in to finish building it for them...which i bet was a great honour for them! I've seen my uncles and brothers build hogans back out at home..and lets just say..they dont have bulldozers/forklifts and stuff to make it happen! LOL! Extreme Makeover even purchased a HOGAN KIT!! WTF IS A HOGAN KIT?? LMFAO!! tooooo funny!!!

Overall the show was great...that was a very awesome home for Lori's parents and her kids. I like that how Arapaho the horse would only allow Carla to ride him! Now thats a real native horse right there! RIGHT ON!!!

link to the article:
www.azcentral.com/news/ar...ker22.html

Navajo hogan tests TV crew
Haste makes waste for 'Makeover' contractors

Betty Reid
The Arizona Republic
May. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

Hogans, the traditional Navajo dwelling, seem simple enough to build.

The modern way is to link logs, put up eight walls, place a mud roof over an earthen floor and it's done.

The crews from ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition who came to northern Arizona in April to build Lori Piestewa's family a new home and construct a Memorial Veterans Center found it wasn't so easy.

Using a local but inexperienced Navajo crew on a 48-hour, made-for-TV schedule was a disaster for producers.

The hogan, a small house looked at by many Navajos as a living embodiment of an individual's soul and being, couldn't stand on its own.

The foundation was too big and the mud roof was too heavy, which caused it to lean.

With television show deadlines looming, the Tuba City project could not be completed in time.

A month later, as Extreme Makeover broadcasts the Piestewa makeover tonight, the hogan still sits unfinished, although a Navajo crew is working on it.

Some Navajo leaders lament that young Native Americans are losing touch with their heritage as the world speeds up around them.

"For too long, we have been building square houses and we employ people skilled in building square houses," said Priscilla Littlefoot, Tuba City-Navajo Nation Chapter manager.

"I know that my dad, in his young days, would whip one of those hogans together in a week, but our younger people are getting away from that style of building hogans. I think a lot of the modern amenities in a square house eroded that talent."

Other Tuba City Navajo leaders, in hindsight, point to a clash of Navajo and western values as the reason for an incomplete hogan.

Building a hogan in a hurry contradicts the care and positive thoughts that are supposed to go into the project, said Frank Bilagody, Tuba City Chapter president.

The hogan was built next to the veterans center in Tuba City, as a way to heal veterans using traditional Navajo methods.

Both facilities have yet to pass safety regulations with Tuba City Indian Medical Center's Environmental Health offices.

Early hogans

Hogans date to the late 1600s, when the nomadic Navajos built two types of houses from cedar and earth. One was the fork-stick hogan, known as the male hogan. The round circular hogan, by far the more popular of the two styles, is called a female hogan.

Navajos began building hogans exclusively with mud and logs. Later, they used limestone for the walls and more recently they've used materials like cement, plaster, plywood, brick and roof shingles. Additionally, the floor changed from a simple round shape to an eight-sided pattern.

Some Navajo elders continue to live in the octagonal hogans with entrances facing east. Their religion tells them the day begins in the east and it is home of the Dawn Gods who sprinkle good blessings. Many Navajos use the hogan for ritual purposes or storage.

Not common housing

Hogans can still be seen around the Navajo Nation, however, but are not common housing stock. Few Navajos still know how to build them.

Bilagody answered Extreme Makeover's call for volunteers in April. He noticed that the stem wall of the hogan foundation was larger than the structure, an imperfection that took a half-day to correct.

"My concern is the way it was built on the Tsiil go, or hurry up, schedule, that the foundation might shift in the future," Bilagody said. "The Hogan is just sitting there now exposed to rain, wind and dust. I'm calling on Extreme Makeover to return and skilled hogan builders to return and complete this hogan."

Show producers had bought a hogan kit outfitted with pine logs and equipment for a roof.

Diane Korman, a spokeswoman for Extreme Makeover, said she was unaware the facilities had not passed inspection.

"We build accelerated homes in one week. You get as many volunteers as you can, you also get as many donors and there will be maintenance," she said. For the Navajo community "to come back and finish it (a project) off is not wrong, which is what any structure would need."

Earth-based faith

Like many Native Americans, Navajos see things in their environment as alive because of their earth-based faith. Their healing belief lies in the power of the prayer and curing rituals that calls on the Holy People, who are in the form of rain, wind, mountains, sacred stones, lightning or springs.

Experienced Navajos

And with that, perhaps the hogan project was destined to land in the hands of experienced Navajos.

Loren Yellowhair and Elmer Woody are working to complete the hogan.

The two corrected the foundation, removed the mud from the roof and will replace it with plywood, lumber and shingles.

Yellowhair, a retired Navajo police officer, predicts the hogan will be ready in early June for a blessing.

"A lot of my talent came from my late dad's oral teachings, and I watched how he put things together," Yellowhair said.

"I'm so amazed that my father put a hogan together without calculators or algebra; it's hard to teach young Navajos to do things like that. It must be written in a textbook or it doesn't fly."

Tuba City plumber Michael Yellowhair, 30, (no relation to Loren) was on the crew that constructed the hogan.

"I had never built an octagonal hogan in my life until Extreme Makeover came along. I worked 24/7 on the hogan and I'm tired, but working on that hogan, it was special," he said.

Reach the reporter at [email protected] or call (602) 444-8049.

BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links