Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Facebook no friend to Native American names Facebook no friend to Native American names

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Experienced

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Savings: 0.00
Facebook no friend to Native American names

Facebook no friend to Native American names
By The Associated Press
Rapid City Journal - 9 February 2009
Rapid City Journal | News Top | Facebook no friend to Native American names

For about a week, Robin Kills The Enemy was friendless.

Wrongly banned from the social networking Web site Facebook for registering under a false name, she was unable to get in touch with dozens of friends. In the middle of planning an upcoming trip, she suddenly lost touch with those she was to meet.

But the name she'd used was authentic, and though Facebook administrators eventually reinstated her account, some are concerned that the site is unfairly shutting off access to users with Native American surnames.

Kills The Enemy's experience has spawned a group of 1,000 Facebook users wondering why some with Native American surnames must jump through hoops and endure accusations of fraud while the hundreds of users claiming to be named "Bart Simpson" do not.

Since its inception in 2004, Facebook has become a virtual second home to hundreds of millions of people worldwide. For some, it's a primary means of communication the exclusive way to talk to friends across the street or across the country.

That's how Kills The Enemy, 28, used the site.

Kills The Enemy lives outside Parmelee on Rosebud Indian Reservation and works as a technology mentor and computer technician at He Dog Elementary School.

When she found her account had been deactivated, she quickly realized how many friends she no longer could reach at all. Losing access meant losing touch with college friends with whom she had worked hard to reconnect. It wasn't devastating, exactly, but it was certainly upsetting.

Site considered her real name fake

Kills The Enemy's problems started not when she joined Facebook, but when she tried to correct an error that was nagging at her.

"At first I didn't use facebook because they didn't accept my last name," Kills The Enemy said. She instead used MySpace. But the rival site attracts a younger crowd, and most of her friends were migrating to Facebook. She followed.

When she signed up for the site last summer, it wouldn't accept her real surname, so she combined it. She was Robin Killstheenemy.

But people couldn't understand her mashed-together name, and she finally e-mailed Facebook to ask for a change.

The next day, her account was deactivated.

She e-mailed the site asking for an explanation.

"Fake names are a violation of our Terms of Use. Facebook requires users to provide their full first and last names," an analyst wrote to her. Facebook would reinstate her if she provided her real name.

A matter of safety, Facebook says

A spokesman for Facebook described the site's policy.

"Facebook is based on a real name culture. This helps create an environment where people are accountable for their actions and behavior," Facebook Privacy and Public Policy spokesman Simon Axten said in an e-mail to the Argus Leader. "Fake names and false identities are actually a violation of the Terms of Use, and we disable fake accounts when they're reported to us by our users."

Axten didn't speak specifically about Kills The Enemy's account but acknowledged that errors sometimes occur.

"Of course, we may occasionally disable an account that uses a legitimate, but unusual, name," Axten said. "When this happens, we encourage users to contact us so we can investigate and hopefully reactivate. We feel that any inconvenience this extra step might add for a very small number of our users is worth it for maintaining Facebook's overall safety."

A cause is born through student

Kills The Enemy tried to navigate that process and sent e-mails to Facebook asking for reinstatement. In the meantime, a Nebraska journalism student, Nancy Kelsey, wrote a story for Reznetnews.org, a Native American news Web site. Kelsey also started a Facebook group called "Facebook: don't discriminate against Native surnames!!!" In just a few days, more than 1,000 users joined the cause.

"A lot of people with Native surnames had just accepted that Facebook wasn't going to accept their names," Kelsey said.

Others emerge to report same denial

After she formed the group, others said they'd had the same problem. A woman named Melissa Holds The Enemy said it took a month to get her account back.

After a few days and several e-mails, Kills The Enemy was asked to send a scan of a government identification document to Facebook. She did. On Friday, she was reinstated.

"I think that Facebook had to have no general knowledge of Native Americans or their surnames," said Facebook user Will White Eyes of Pine Ridge. His name did not trigger the site's fake name detector, but he said it's just another example of people misunderstanding his name and the culture from which it comes.

"I do get questioned about my surname," said White Eyes, 28, of Pine Ridge, in an e-mail. "I have had people ask me if that really was my name and if it is what my birth certificate had said."

Kelsey said she thought Kills The Enemy's reinstatement had more to do with her passport and persistence than with the group raising its voice in protest. But she said she plans to keep the group going.

"It's kind of an awareness thing," Kelsey said.

Whether awareness helped Kills The Enemy or not, she has her friends back she's even made a few new ones.

What's your opinion?

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
AnishTradish

anishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
that's why I use myspace....

Just a simple mistake on facebooks part. I don't think it's worth trying to attack the website over and calling them anti-native. They have a policy to enforce, and the only thing I can think of that would help this issue, is to try to get a list of Native names and have them added to their database. But no need to go around making a big deal about the incident, claiming they are anti-native.

It probably happens to a lot of people especially foreigners and such with different names.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,859.38
discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishtradish View Post
that's why I use myspace....

Just a simple mistake on facebooks part. I don't think it's worth trying to attack the website over and calling them anti-native. They have a policy to enforce, and the only thing I can think of that would help this issue, is to try to get a list of Native names and have them added to their database. But no need to go around making a big deal about the incident, claiming they are anti-native.

It probably happens to a lot of people especially foreigners and such with different names.
Its always simple mistakes, but I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, isn't that what this space is about? Opinions? I'm glad the younger people are stating opinions and lashing back at being anonymous and invisible or overlooked and disregarded in this society. Just because our last names don't fit into their structure of language doesn't mean we have to keep quiet; let the young people have their say about something they are proud of: "our Native names" That says a lot about who we are and what we are!
pow-wow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,447.42
Savings: 1.00
that is crazy . . .

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...
Mud_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,859.38
and your point?
pow-wow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Deaf and Cree Elder-Woman

Items PresentPresent
DeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond repute
DeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond reputeDeafToniB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,736.08
I made the statement here before. Did someone delete my post? If I am not wanted here about the OP's topic about Facebook where Killstheenemy had a problem with the administrator to understand that this is her real name, my statement is not good enough for this topic. I dunno.
DeafToniB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Oldernighthawk has a reputation beyond repute
Oldernighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeOldernighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeOldernighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeOldernighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeOldernighthawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Angry

There is no justification for blocking Kills The Enemy like they did!! To start with even Face Book admits that they are not doing a good job in stoping the whites from useing fake names . Maybe they should pull their heads out and either do the same test on everyone or admit they just don't care. This lack of careing and treating every one the same is what causes most of the trouble today. Fair is fair and if a business is not going to play fair then their plug needs to be pulled so that people can get along with one another better!
Oldernighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Creynolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 214.60
I think facebook needs to rethink this as there are dozens of people on facebook that use all kinds of names you know d--- well are not their given names.So what the H---.I am really p----- about this.How about you?
Creynolds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Savings: 1.00
Previous thread here on another Native name having problems with Facebook:

This is from Owl's email to FaceBook Staff:

>>>>>For the last time, Owl Goingback is my real name, and it is the only name I have--I cannot give you another one. I am an American Indian (Choctaw/Cherokee), and Native people often have names that sound different to mainstream America: Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Leonard Crow Dog, etc, but they are just as real as John Smith, or even Obama.

I am an award winning novelist and children's book author, and if you look inside the front cover of any of my books, you will see that they are copyrighted Owl Goingback--my real name. I am also listed in WHO'S WHO IN AMERICA and WHO'S WHO IN LITERATURE, as well as being a member in good standing of the Authors Guild and Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. <<<<<<<<
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links