Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Gangs on Pine Ridge Gangs on Pine Ridge

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
Quality Taco Inspector

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
Savings: 1.00
Gangs on Pine Ridge

WOUNDED KNEE, South Dakota (Reuters) - Over the past 15 years, violent youth gangs have invaded Indian reservations, bringing terror, drugs and vandalism to societies that were already in deep distress.

On the Pine Ridge Reservation of South Dakota, inhabited by 15,000-20,000 members of the Lakota Sioux, police believe there may be 3,500 acknowledged gang members.

"In the village of Pine Ridge alone, we have a dozen gangs -- Outlaws, Wild Boyz, Trey Trey, Nomads, Iggy Boyz, Aimster Gangsta, Wild Girls, Bad *** *****es, Southside Boyz, Northside Boyz and Gangsta Disciples," said John Mousseau, an officer with the Bureau of Indian Affairs tribal police who specializes in combating gang activity.

"Every little community on the reservation has its gang or gangs. There's one little place -- Potato Creek. It only has 40 residents but it has a gang with 15 members," he said.

The gangs deal in cocaine, marijuana and increasingly in methamphetamine. Some, like the Nomads, have a command structure with a ruling council and a set of laws.

"Gang members are responsible for close to 70 percent of crimes on the reservation -- assaults, sexual assaults, intimidation, harassment, burglaries, vandalism, graffiti and sometimes murder," Mousseau said.

Police chief James Two Bulls said there were 10-12 homicides on the reservation each year. Alcohol is almost always involved. Although the reservation is officially dry, residents can easily buy beer across the Nebraska state line.

The population is highly transient. Young people who joined gangs in cities bring gang culture to the reservation. Others learn the gang lifestyle in prison.

Last July, Mousseau responded to reports of gunfire in a house. Mousseau was questioning a girl when someone inside the building opened fire with a semi-automatic assault rifle.

BULLET GRAZES EAR

"The girl was hit and a bullet grazed my ear, Mousseau recalled. "I took cover in the weeds and pulled the girl to safety. I called for backup but the guy was still shooting. It was dark but I fired back in the direction of his muzzle flashes. I hit him and he died on the scene. He had fired 30 rounds."

The girl survived. The dead man, a known gang member, had been drunk as well as high on drugs.

Mousseau believes he was the target of an organized hit because he was interfering with gang operations. He had to move himself and his family out of town for a time after receiving death threats from other gang members.

Residents of South Dakota's reservations are among the poorest in the nation. Unemployment hovers around the 80 percent mark. Of those employed, 96 percent live below the poverty line and alcoholism is rife. Apart from school athletic teams, there are few organized youth activities.

Young people in the reservation are in deep crisis, said Bryan Brewer, principle of the Pine Ridge High School.

"About 50 percent of our students drop out, mostly in the first two years of high school," Brewer said. "We don't know where they go. They just stop coming. Of the kids who enroll, only one percent graduate college."

Gang members constantly deface the school with graffiti. They bring guns and deal drugs on school grounds. They sometimes make homemade weapons in the school metal workshop. Three years ago, scores of rival gang members fought a violent battle in a school corridor.

Brewer once asked a couple of gang members how many students were members of the Trey Trey gang. "They told me over half of our students were in that one gang alone," he said.

MIMIC BEHAVIOR

Indian gangs mimic the behavior of black and Hispanic inner-city gangs -- the colors, the dress, the violent initiation ceremonies, the hand signals, the graffiti, the tattoos. But they have developed one wrinkle of their own, said Captain Christopher Grant, chief of detectives in Rapid City, South Dakota, who is an expert on the subject.

"They will burn and brand designs into their arms and bodies, such as pitchforks or other gang symbols. They will heat a knife or a metal clothes hanger until it is red hot and then press it to their flesh and leave it to fester so it makes a big vivid scar that announces their involvement in the gang subculture.

"Sometimes, they just slash themselves with knives to create markings that depict their gang involvement, and oftentimes both the burning and cutting become a rite of passage for the young people who choose this path," he said.

Chris Eagle Hawk, a police human resources officer on the reservation who would like to revive Indian cultural awareness, said young people have no sense of their own identity or culture and look for something to fill the gap.

"They need to belong somewhere, to be part of something. They don't know anything about who they are and where they come from. We have our own colors, our own songs, our own language. We even have our own signs," he said.

Despite the problems, police officers said it was difficult to persuade parents and some members of the tribal leadership of the gravity of the situation.

One day this month, Mousseau and several other police officers went to the village of Wounded Knee, site of a notorious massacre of Indian men, women and children by U.S. troops in 1890. The police had invited members of the community to a question-and-answer session about gangs.

Only three people showed up.
Gache is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2003, 06:37 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

rez rocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Dude, thas' messed up. What's your answer?
rez rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
Quality Taco Inspector

Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Well whites think that more money can always solve everything. It can help having a better economic situation there but there are gangs in nice white neighborhoods.

the truth is that those kids are filling the void of weak families, weak spiritual life and no hope. The spiritual leaders are more concerned about wannnabees than reaching out to their own people.

We need spiritual leaders who lead lives that are pure and uncorrupt and the beautiful lakota nation be restored back to the Creator. Tribal leaders who are above the bickering and politics.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:39 AM   #4
THE HIPPIE KILLER

Speedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond repute
Damn thats messed up. Those spiritual leaders should be much more concerned with their own wannabes. Those that want to be black or hispanic gangsters. What a sad situation.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Gangs stem mostly from impoverished conditions. Kids who want to belong, the older 'leaders' who make them feel welcome, the kids who have nothing else to do, the kids who go along with the group, etc.

Been there, done that. Not that I was a blood or a crip, but we had our own little gang thing going on. Wearing matching stuff, names, acting tough, petty theft, roughing up younger kids. My reason...I was one of the younger kids that got roughed up once and I( was also going along with my childhood friends. There was Rick-ski, Ali-Al, Robbob and Mic-D. Other "gangs" included people named Onyx, Spookadeen, Chooch, Badas, etc.

Am I now? No. Why, I knew it was stupid and that I was better than that. If a kid cant figure it out himself he needs someone to do it for him. I was lucky enough to have a mind and "see the light" for lack of a better term. I was in poverty but not as deep as these kids, so they will need a little more enlightenment.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

standstill is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 510.00
Quote:
the truth is that those kids are filling the void of weak families, weak spiritual life and no hope. The spiritual leaders are more concerned about wannnabees than reaching out to their own people.
Gache, you are so right! I think the greatest weakness though is the family unit. So many of our youth are raised by grandmothers. I wonder how many gang members come from a two parent home where the father is a involved parent. We need both role models in the home where children see the respect and honor that spouses have for one another, where both parents see to the responsibilities of raising children.

Having no hope breaks my heart! Suicide amongst our native youth is extremely high.
We are always being told the youth are our future and yet our nations are failing them!
standstill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,554.70
_____

The original article states that "Indian gangs mimic the behavior on inner-city gangs."

Why is this such a shock?

Indian people evolve with the rest of the world. We listen to rap music, wear gangsta clothing and even name our powwow songs after gansta themes.

Pine Ridge is only one reservation with Indian gangs.

According members of the Salt River Indian Community (whose reservation borders Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ.), tribal members have affiliations in approximately 32 area gangs.

In Tulsa, OK, the gang "Indian Empire aka. IE" is one of the largest gangs in the metropolitan area.

Gangs will come and go as Indian people keep up with the times.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior Dancer

theepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down gangs

gangs are for itty bitty weenies with no brains

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:
theepowwowchic49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #9
comchocldy

Gangs at Pine Ridge

:Cry

That is really sad to hear, I know gangs are on the Rez but I didn't know it was that bad...

So now we have our future killing each other....
I never ever thought I'd see that day when Ndn youth would kill
and pimp each other jus cause.....

CC
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 AM   #10
Quality Taco Inspector

Yeah its sad that theres more comments about Lord of the Rings but hardly anything about this.

Well we are a dying race might as well give up huh. After all hardly anyone can speak their language anymore. Most of the young act like black wannabees. There isnt any respect anymore or native worldview. I hope the government starts terminating tribes because there is too many fake ones now. Just a bunch of brown skin white people faking their indian to get benefits.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #11
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
I think this has to do with the desolation which inevitably leads to desperation. I mean, I feel for the members of the community who are negatively effected by gang's actions, but is this really and uncontrollable situation or a product of negligence?

The article states that besides ONE school team, there are no other organized activities for youth. Not that is justifies anything, but what else are they supposed to do? Being in a gang probably gives them a false impression of belonging or even accomplishment.

I know that gangs are prevalent in mega urban centres, but in our society (Native teachings) we are supposed to guide and take care of our children; this shouldn't be happening on the reserve. The million dollar question: what can we do?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #12
singer

JWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond reputeJWELL has a reputation beyond repute
gangs

I know of one young man who was involved in a gang and had tatooa around the eyes and his mind was that of always on drugs he seemed to be high all the time he just could not focus until a group of traditonal people took him in and completely changed his life for him i say they practicly brought him back from the dead he even talks now before he would just sit there and his eyes would be closed and sway back and forth it took a long time but he is just fine suprised the heck out of me, so some times there is hope, dont give up on people because you just might end up needing help one of theses days A-HO.
JWELL is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #13
Awful_Mnom_Woman

When my son was little, about 8 or so, I took him to the funeral of one of my cousins who was shot by a rival gang. He saw for himself how totally utterly lost the mother, the father, the sisters were, and the hundreds of kids who turned out for the funeral. I know that was kind of harsh, but I don't think some kids consider the effect they have on their loved ones if they were killed. We as native people cannot afford to lose even one young man to senseless violence.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003, 07:53 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally posted by Awful_Mnom_Woman
When my son was little, about 8 or so, I took him to the funeral of one of my cousins who was shot by a rival gang. He saw for himself how totally utterly lost the mother, the father, the sisters were, and the hundreds of kids who turned out for the funeral. I know that was kind of harsh, but I don't think some kids consider the effect they have on their loved ones if they were killed. We as native people cannot afford to lose even one young man to senseless violence.
Good words Phenom Mom! :)
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 PM   #15
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Locally, I know of only one attempt on a neighbour rez of uniting a gang. The guy who tried to organize a gang had his butt kicked several times before he had a chance to get it together.

Remember that series "Moccasin Flats" that was on Canadian Aboriginal T.V.? Well, it was about gang crap in Regina. Pretty much realistic. Not a lot of laffs. A lot of gang stuff. Pimping, whoring, drug selling, murder, violence. About a kid trying to get out of that and going off to university. I don't want to ruin the plot for those who might want to see it later.

BTW, Kakeeya, I taped it (not a very good job- missed some parts) and thought you might want to watch it. Let me know. I'll send it to you.

Parents, aunties, uncles, grand-parents have to encourage the younguns to get involved with other activities as well as traditional teachings. If some parents can't afford some of the more costly sports, dancing or whatever, it's up to other family members to reach out and give a helping hand. If you can't help out financially, go to the kids game once in awhile. Cheer them on!!! Kids like that. There are so many simple things that we can do to keep kids away from a unhealthy environment. It's not up to teachers, coaches and other people who do these things.

It's up to us. Not Joe Schmo down the street. Not the boyscouts.
Us, dammit!
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 01:25 AM   #16
Quality Taco Inspector

Pine Ridge is the poorest place in the United States so chances are there aren't anyone who can help out. The US government's budget for the whole native US is equal to what the Canadians spent on t he new Inuvuut region or how ever you spell it. Most people on pine ridge are just trying to find enough food to eat. Many times several families live together under one roof. As many as 30 some people to a 2 bedroom shack. Huge portions dont have running water, electricity, plumbing, phone etc. No hope for jobs unless you wanna leave your family for good and move to a big city at least 500 miles away. Alcoholism and disease, suicide are the highest in the nation. Life expectancy is about equal to what you would find in africa.

I could go on but you get the picture. My reservation is a little bit better but similar in most ways.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:43 AM   #17
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
I've never been to Pine Ridge - it doesn't mean this story does not affect me. Anytime there is mention of any of our kids (and when I say our kids, I mean all our Native children) involving themselves in negative activities that affect the direction of their lives, it breaks my heart. I am raising two of our future leaders and am concerned every day with what is being presented to them. It seems that so many of our youth have no hope - there is no direction - no positive outlet. IT IS ALL OF OUR JOBS TO MAKE CHANGES. It does begin at home, but also we have to be willing to make change. So many times we bury our heads and say - not our problem - but when that child is lost to negative behavior, we wonder what happened.

I don't have the answers - I wish I could just wave a wand and make these troubles go away, but it seems that there is always something to deter our children - it is about choices. Being Native young and living in this world today is so difficult - there are obstacles that our kids are facing that we never did. I am 41, and when my daughter comes home from high school and tells me of what she sees every day, at school, in the public eye - I cringe. I am thankful that she has not been influenced by so many things, but attribute that to her and my relationship, her relationship with her father, her relationship with her grandparents and her spiritual beliefs. She is not perfect, but she knows that there is more out there for her than participating in things that could destroy her dreams.

In Native communities, especially, there are band-aids put on open wounds. There is no way to cover the whole sore - but there are ways that hope can be shown - by our elders, our families, our traditional people and just by love. (ok, Gache, I am getting gushy - sorry. :p)

Fear is something that is hard to break - having experienced some things in my life - once you have fear inside of you - you grow silent - you don't want to open the wounds to create more heartache for you or your family. It is a horrible way to live - it is no way to live. People have to believe that change will make a difference - if nothing is shown, they have no way to beleive that them coming forward will heal anything. The things that created an escape for me WERE my kids - how can I ever expect them to walk this path if I show them that I am afraid? It is tough - but hey - we all have to realize that all of us are responsible for all of our kids. Holding a town meeting and only 3 people showing up shows that this community is terrified.

Watching the news like I do, I know that Pine Ridge has taken alot of hits. It is a Native Community that has experienced so much heartache. Is is anymore than any other community - I don't know - Pine Ridge however, gets the press because of it's history. Again, I am not speaking from personal experience, just from what I have learned.

What are some things that we all can do to assist a place like Pine Ridge - I mean concrete things - let's brainstorm. Because let not one of us mistake ourselves and think this could never happen in our community. It can and does. What can we all do to make these options disappear in the future??

Discuss....

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 01:47 AM   #18
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Gache
Pine Ridge is the poorest place in the United States so chances are there aren't anyone who can help out. The US government's budget for the whole native US is equal to what the Canadians spent on t he new Inuvuut region or how ever you spell it. Most people on pine ridge are just trying to find enough food to eat. Many times several families live together under one roof. As many as 30 some people to a 2 bedroom shack. Huge portions dont have running water, electricity, plumbing, phone etc. No hope for jobs unless you wanna leave your family for good and move to a big city at least 500 miles away. Alcoholism and disease, suicide are the highest in the nation. Life expectancy is about equal to what you would find in africa.

I could go on but you get the picture. My reservation is a little bit better but similar in most ways.
It is incredible when you hear things such as this - these things are not in the paper everyday....does it make any sense that in today's "let me buy an island for my wife as a present" attitude, that any race should have to live like this???

Where are the Bill Gates, and Oprah's and all the other multi-millionaires that could make a difference with a swift writing of the pen on paper??? Taking on a tribe and a reservation would seem so much more practical than lining up a bunch of dimwits to meet a man who is not a millionaire, but paying them money to stay with him....what the hell is wrong with this picture?????

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #19
Junior Dancer

EducatedNdN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gache
Well whites think that more money can always solve everything. It can help having a better economic situation there but there are gangs in nice white neighborhoods.

We need spiritual leaders who lead lives that are pure and uncorrupt and the beautiful lakota nation be restored back to the Creator. Tribal leaders who are above the bickering and politics.
Born and raised in the poorest place in America with encouragement and even learning from mistakes is what turned my life around. I was into the drugs and alcohol, running with the tough crowd but I also had the spirit of my ancestors and support of my family to become more than just a statistic. Our people have and will continue to have road block after road block because of who we are and our history. Its a disgrace when tourists drive our rez for their sunday outings to look and gaze at the 'Indians' the poor Indians. In mainstream society we aren't anything but bumps in the road and these gang members they may make the poorest choices and many become deadly but whenn your born into the envirnonment of what I was its a strong chain of not just programs needed but economic backing, educational instituations that have the willingness to put faith and confidence in the minds and hearts of these kids when their young. Its having family structures learn the fundamentals of what it means to raise these kids. But when we have our own families learning from parents who didn't have that structure what is learned or not learned.

There's no simple answer and we can all draw our conclusions and until the families and tribes and government step in and quit letting these gangs run everything the problem will not disappear.
The kids learn by example and if the teens have younger kids duplicating their actions and behaviors the cycle continues on and on. Generationally these gangs will only get worse its already happening. Main stream society turns a blind eye to their inner city gangs and the reservations do just the same. Statistically male NdNs will either end up dead from suicide, deadly crime, end up in prison, and staying on topic have a time of gang involvement sometime in his life. Without strong communities there will be few strong families. Pila.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
Locally, I know of only one attempt on a neighbour rez of uniting a gang. The guy who tried to organize a gang had his butt kicked several times before he had a chance to get it together.

Remember that series "Moccasin Flats" that was on Canadian Aboriginal T.V.? Well, it was about gang crap in Regina. Pretty much realistic. Not a lot of laffs. A lot of gang stuff. Pimping, whoring, drug selling, murder, violence. About a kid trying to get out of that and going off to university. I don't want to ruin the plot for those who might want to see it later.

BTW, Kakeeya, I taped it (not a very good job- missed some parts) and thought you might want to watch it. Let me know. I'll send it to you.

Parents, aunties, uncles, grand-parents have to encourage the younguns to get involved with other activities as well as traditional teachings. If some parents can't afford some of the more costly sports, dancing or whatever, it's up to other family members to reach out and give a helping hand. If you can't help out financially, go to the kids game once in awhile. Cheer them on!!! Kids like that. There are so many simple things that we can do to keep kids away from a unhealthy environment. It's not up to teachers, coaches and other people who do these things.

It's up to us. Not Joe Schmo down the street. Not the boyscouts.
Us, dammit!
Thanks Kiwenzii, I'll take a copy!

Gang violence is everywhere, even here at Warm Springs. Vandals mark our sacred Longhouses with their gang names, logos and they have no respect. Even in times of mourning, thieves or gangs will go to people's homes and rob them because they know the residents are at a funeral. It's a shame that this is happening to our people. Shame that our young folks resort to dispespecting their families and communities. Where have we gone wrong as a people? Kiwehnzii is right and we need to look closer at ourselves and get involved in our communities, support our youth that are doing positive things and reach out to the ones that have gotten lost. :(

Last edited by Kakeeya; 12-17-2003 at 02:01 PM..
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links