Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Gangs on Pine Ridge Gangs on Pine Ridge

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #21
Super Troop

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 813.40
Savings: 0.00
Reading these posts really made one question run through my mind: how could this have happened? How could they not see or feel what the whites have done to us, driving us towards the brink of extiction and there are so many of us that are trying to preserve our culture, and so many of us who's family members drove away from that road so our younger generations are trying to go back to it, to incorporate it into our lives so that our children, and our childrens children can be a part of it. The only culture that the white people have is just greediness. Why would anyone want to take a gang into a reservation? Why would they want to make it worst than it is? Why not do something to make it better? Perhaps, like some of you mentioned, it is because our family members have to work and leave our children behind and there is a sense of loneliness, and a gap that has a need to be tended to. So along come a group of guys that love to party, and drink and see how those things bring them together so they want to be a apart of it. I really do not have the answer to it, but i am thinking and trying to be in their position, but since I haven't gone through what they have it is hard for me to understand. I live in a very large city, Chicago, and as you all know that is one of our biggest problems. You can't wear your hat a certain side, you can't wear certain colors, you can't wear an earring on a certain earlobe, you can't wear a playboy accessory, you can't do certain hand gestures, and you can't even look at these people because automatically all 6 or 7 of them will jump you. They are badly into drugs and sell them to the younger kids. These people are mexicans, and blacks, and rarely are they white. But in my hometown in Texas all these things are dead, there are no more gangs, but the drugs are still there.
But to read that it is an issue with your culture is a wake-up call. In a way I see it as having to open my eyes and to teach my daughter better, teach anyone better, and not to bring up any of those subjects. Enforce the cultural teachings, and dances and songs. Enforce that our culture needs to be preserved and to make our blood even richer. Our ancestors did not fight until their death for these things to happen, they fought so that we could carry on our traditions. As Jibby said, "the million dollar question is : what can we do?" How does one get through to them when they are so naive and they're eyes are closed tight, and their ears are covered so that no one's words could go through their brain? If you try talking to them they will think that we do not know them, and do not know what they have been through. They will think that we are trying to mold them into something we want them to be. All we can do is work hard and never give up, even if we are tired, and even if we are ignored.
I go into chatrooms and there's people always arguing and cussing at eachother, young people saying that they love to drink alcohol. I don't see anything wrong with drinking alcohol, but when it becomes a habit to where it is consumed everyday then there is an issue.
And we never hear about any of these issues on the news, or on 20/20, or nightline or any of those investigating news forecasts. All you hear about is what happened to white suburban communities, and their people. Oprah is always helping white people, reality t.v. shows are always showing what white people do and what they live like. You know what I am talking about. Right now I am going through a mixture of emotions. I feel sadness, anger, disturbed, anxious to want to do something. I am only 20, but my aunt devolped my brain to think like an adult when I was 16 and I thank her for it so much because I have the ability to teach my daughter best, yet allowing her to be a child. I know she will not be perfect, but that is how she will learn.
chirapachegurl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2003, 05:28 PM   #22
Quality Taco Inspector

Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
Savings: 1.00
Here is something good coming out of pine ridge

Pine Ridge sets the pace in cross-country

Posted: December 19, 2003 - 11:16am EST
by: Matt Ross / Correspondent / Indian Country Today

PINE RIDGE, S.D. - Invoking a no-nonsense attitude, coach Dale Pine has refused to allow his athletes to fall victim to the obstacles that present daily challenges in Pine Ridge. That’s why he believes cross country running is the ideal sport at his South Dakota high school.

"You can’t complain to the coach about getting the ball," the 20-year teacher for the Pine Ridge Thorpes said, who also shares the coaching duties with his wife Lyn. "Every time you line up, it’s man-versus-man and you can never make an excuse."

Such a philosophy is one of the driving forces behind why Pine Ridge has become so dominant. On Oct. 25, for the sixth time in nine years the boys’ squad repeated as South Dakota champions in the "A" division (those schools below the top-16 in enrollment size). For added measure, the school added its inaugural combined title when the girls’ squad placed in sixth.

Anchoring the team is junior Patrick Glass who won the individual race for the third time in four years himself clocking 16:15.62 over the 5,000-meter (3.1-mile) track at the Broadland golf course in Huron. This time was good for a 4.67-second victory and would have placed him second among all runners in South Dakota’s three categories.

With a slender body frame of 135 pounds, Glass possesses the ideal size for a long-distance runner. His continued success has already attracted the attention of numerous colleges and universities towards a post-secondary athletic scholarship.

Now a seasoned veteran, he recognizes it can easily be him who sets the pace in any race.

"I go out first and stay out there. Then at the end I can slow down and then take off," said the 11th grade student.

Even with Glass’s solo victory, the Thorpes needed three other runners to post results for a team score. With freshman Alex Wilson-Pine crossing the line in fourth, 12 seconds back, and senior Zuya White Plume in 11th along with Nupa White Plume, 32nd, their placements were just enough to total one point lower than the foursome from Miller High School.

What surprised Pine Ridge was the finish by its girls’ team. The sixth-place was paced by freshman Robin Webber who wound up second out of 130 runners with a mark of 16:36.15, two seconds behind the winner in the 4,000-meter (2.5-mile) race. This success wasn’t anticipated at the start of the season when Webber decided to run only as a means to prepare for the volleyball and basketball seasons.

"When you see a guy like Patrick do so well, it inspires others to do well," Webber said.

Coach Pine showed satisfaction in the next prodigy within the Thorpes’ tradition of cross-country excellence.

"She didn’t have to go out and compete because she’s only a freshman. She could have jogged it and finished 20th," said Pine.

Besides preparing their athletes with proper running skills, the Pines maintain a team philosophy in really what is an individual sport.

Practicing, at times, every day of the week with numerous routes tucked among the Black Hills of the southwestern part of the state, the boys and girls teams also hang out together in town at the mall.

The dedication and devotion displayed by the Pines is not to satiate their own need for success as Dale said this team is for the kids. Rather, both he and his wife need to press their athletes to remain focused on the task of running and staying in school.

They cite some of the problems that plague the reservation such as alcoholism and high unemployment which can drag youth into a cycle of hopelessness if there isn’t something positive they can grasp. To prevent some of the kids from falling into any trap of despair, the two will maintain team unity by driving the students home from practice and in some circumstances, drag kids out of bed to ensure they’re attending school.

"I don’t care about the winning. What they learn in the end is hard work and discipline," Dale said about why he and Lyn will take unusual and extra steps for their students.

Such hard work also has its rewards. The Thorpes attended the 11-state Midwest meet in Kenosha, Wis. on Nov. 29. For Glass, this race was the first time he competed in the Seeded category after finishing eighth last year in the freshman/sophomore division. Glass and teammates Zuya and Nupa White Plume proudly represented their school at the 11-state meet.

"Guys out of here can run as good as anybody else but they just need exposure," Pine added.
Gache is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2003, 12:15 AM   #23
Circus Director

traci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond repute
traci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond reputetraci_m has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
It broke my heart the other day when I heard George W. has raised over $200 million for his primary re-election funds. $200 milllion. . .think of how that could touch and effect so many lives right now and for future generations, but instead, it's going to a campaign fund for re-election.

Sad. That's how f'd up this world is. And someone said why is this not in main-stream media, where are the Oprah's, etc? Sadly, we know the answer why.

The positive. . .we also know the answer is within each of us. Those of us right here, reading, thinking, praying on these topics. . .we are part of the solution. We set the wheels in motion, and we pass this tourch on to our children. It's discouraging news, but what--are we going to stick our heads in the sand about it? Hell no! There's a fight or two or three still left in all of us and we MUST believe that we can make a difference.
traci_m is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2003, 12:49 AM   #24
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
It is upsetting as to how there are people that enjoy stepping on other people just to get what they want, weather it is to get a vote, more ratings, or more money. Money that they already have but they want even more of it because of their own personal greed. Instead of attending to more serious issues, they are trying to find a way to help themselves even more. Personally I feel better about myself when I help someone out because it makes me feel useful, and enjoy to see how happy I have made a person. But these people are so blind. It is a good thing that we notice these things because it helps us to become even better people, and help our own since no one else even cares. And you know that if other people help out, they will only do it to get something in return. It's sad but even sadly true.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:52 PM   #25
Junior Dancer

amo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant futureamo has a brilliant future
I pray for all the Indian People in South Dakota. It is sad part of our history but it is not our fault. We must always strive to push forward the best way we know how. Education is a big part of for Treatied Indian Nations. I seen gang members on our Reservation start out in gangs and turn themselves around. It will not be too long, when we are gone from this world. Our Traditional Cultural Customs plays a big part of all our Indian People's lives. It sun still rises up in the morning for us to help somebody or touch somebodies life. We are all so far apart from one continent to another part of the world, but a praying does help great wonders. I hope things work out for one gang member to turn his faith to good for himself to recognize his people once again.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2003, 03:09 AM   #26
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
It seems that whenever money DOES come along, some councilmember somehow funnels it all to their own family and then uses sovereign immunity to shielf themselves from blame. This is in most tribes, no names here - c'mon y'all know it's true. And we're so used to it that we just accept it. So, while money is always good, when it does come in AND gets put to proper use, the solution is going to take action:

TO THE DUDES WITH EXCUSES...
Put down the bottle and get back to the woman you gave 12 kids to. Go to work. If that means flipping burgers because you got fired from the last three jobs for screwing off and you don't have good work references, now, take your lumps and grab your spatula. Humble yourself and ask for help. Spend time with your kids. Make them first priority.

FOR THE REST OF US...
He needs us and his kids need us. Sometimes he might need a little "tough love" - the easy way out is addictive and someone who is used to it will resist responsibility and hard work. A circle of friends is men who encourage one another and don't run and hide when times get ugly. Is the dude gone for good? Step in, develop a friendship and be an example. The kids are looking for someone who will value them, hold them accountable and make them strong - all of which fellow gangsters will do if no one else does. They want to be part of something. If that "something" isn't provided to them, they will make up their own and it will be the First Street Hoodlums.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #27
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedy™
Damn thats messed up. Those spiritual leaders should be much more concerned with their own wannabes. Those that want to be black or hispanic gangsters. What a sad situation.
That must be why some powwow.comers post with their ebonics.
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2003, 03:38 AM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

nativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond repute
I came into contact with a couple of guys from Pine Ridge in our neck of the woods. They are cousins, they said they left there to make a new life for themselves and for their families.
They ended up here in California. I met them around 3 years ago.
they both have criminal records longer than my arm and they blame it all on the "whites" keeping them oppressed on the reservation. Anyway, one of the guys got into a pursuit 100+ mph on some of our main streets. He was running from the highway patrol in a stolen vehicle, I was in the second car behind the chp unit for backup because he came through our division....he almost killed several people and he almost killed himself when he crashed into a telephone pole.

He was under the influence of alcohol and drugs....He went to the hospital and then went to jail for the umpteenth time. He has no remorse, doesn't care about other people, just seems to have bitterness and ruin in his heart. they fall back on the excuse of the white man keeping them and their people down.

Where do we start to change such attitudes?
nativ_5_o is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2003, 11:20 AM   #29
Champion Dancer

ron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilverwade
That must be why some powwow.comers post with their ebonics.
Icouldn’t disagree more with this statement. Many here on this list are very articulate and very intelligent folks. I have even seen some of this "powwow.commers" that use "ebonics" post stuff that is very well thought out and very well written.

I think, because of their atmosphere, these kids are searching for a sense of belonging. And because there isn't a whole hell of a lot to do where they're at, they grasp at the next best thing. Or what seems to be the next best thing to them.

Jibby asked what can we do. I think it comes down to, because of all the crap that has been done to those that live on the reservation; they have lost their spirituality and faith. Back in the day, there wasn't (if at all) any problems with gangs, the indo-European man comes to this continent and poof, our way of life is changed for the worse. We're forced to live in a place that is desolate, empty, and more importantly, we are forced to give into the white man's ways and beliefs.

Our spirituality was beat out of us. I think, once that has been restored, the way of life on the reservations and off them will become better for all Indians. Be they full blooded or only partial such as myself.

I grew up in Texas, and they had this nifty little place called "boys and girls town" where they sent troubled youth. Unfortunately, that takes $$$$$ to start up and keep running. and we as an Country (Indian Country) do not have the $$$ to do this. Why can't we help the kids find their spirituality and faith again, find ways to give them a real sense of worth and community worth. Show them all how powerful our faith can be.

But as I believe and teach my kids, before a mountain can be moved, the pebble must go first, and are you willing to be that pebble? I try to help my local Indians where I can and when I can.

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
I'm still part red man deep inside!~
<Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.
ron red eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2003, 03:56 PM   #30
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ron red eagle
[B]Icouldn’t disagree more with this statement. Many here on this list are very articulate and very intelligent folks. I have even seen some of this "powwow.commers" that use "ebonics" post stuff that is very well thought out and very well written.

Well written? Well spoken? There really isn't any reason why some postings sound like a person without a tongue. i.e. "I hear dat" It is not thought out or well written!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #31
PowWows.com Addicts

TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,511.60
This didn't happen overnight, and it won't be fixed overnight. Words dictate action, and action means "doing." If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem! An enemy will use "time" as a weapon, and if our "time" is consumed in daily life, with being on "defense," we won't have time to be on offense. Offense is "doing." We speak so negative and blame whites for everything, and yes, they royally screwed us. Slamming them back with negative words will not help...only make us look weak/whinney. So, what are each of us going to do now?

We can start with some small simple solutions:
1. Speak positive (and publicly)
2. Follow through w/what we say
3. Be a "positive role model" for the children
4. Educate yourself & family (which doesn't always mean college)
5. Mentor or be Mentored
6. Live in the "here and now," the past is gone, and the future may never come...especially where gangs are involved.

No one "makes us" feel anything, we choose to feel, act, and react the way we do. ~~Nino's Philosophy

I am not the Creator and therefore cannot "save" anyone. The path one walks is between the individual and the creator; not to be judged by me. ~TurtleWoman
TurtleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2004, 03:30 AM   #32
Super Troop

Nino, I think that you hit the nail on the head when you say that all we do is complain about the whites making our lives miserable. At times I find myself doing this, complaining about them whenever I hear them complaining about things not being fair, such as when they ask for their senior discount at a restaraunt, and they can't recieve it on weekends and they start complaining saying that they worked hard for it all their lives. Man does that get me so mad and infuriated when they mention that, but what good is it going to do me. I will more than likely spend the majority of my time complaining about them, rather than doing something about what I feel. Such as when I gain a lot of knowledge of my tribe, and people and history so that I can be able to pass it on to many generations to come, making an effort to round up some people to help make a difference on reservation lives. Like Ron Red Eagle said, it takes money to do all this so it will just have to take time to complete our goal and dream. So hopefully our generations to come will continue on doing so, or maybe we are a generation that is continuing on trying to better our situation. What ever bad that happens does not give you a good feeling, but it gives you a stronger will power by determining yourself to do something, and doing something about it. It tests our love for our people. This is just my two beads, and I'm not sure if there are others who differ. But by all means, do state your opinion, this is why we have these forums. :)
Old 01-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #33
Banned

One can imagine the disappointment if we were to ebonicize our oral traditions. Why can't we be disappointed if our written traditions are soiled also?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #34
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
My great-grandmother spoke better English than most white folks, and would whap the back of our legs with her cane of we used "ain't, "got no" or other incorrect forms of English. But in her home she spoke Cherokee only and refused to answer us if we spoke in English. The language is crucial to understanding and passing on the culture.

Whites are definitely to blame for what they did to us, but we are to blame for what we are doing to ourselves. I could hate unegas until the Last Day and not improve my life or that of my children one bit. The elders say that hatred is a poison that not only fails to fill up the empty places in us but destroys us clear to the marrow of our souls. We need to forgive ourselves, each other, and yes, even the white man-regardless of whether he deserves it or not-before we can be free of some of these things marring our spirits. Taking responsibility for oneself, one's own thought, words, and actions, empowers us; we are no longer at the whim of another, no longer reacting to what someone else does but determining our own actions.

This is some of what I hear from elders and traditional-minded people among various tribes:

Men need to regain respect in themselves and in the eyes of the women by being providers for their families...even if it IS flipping burgers. And if their aren't any jobs, make one. either use the skills you've got or develop new ones and use it to earn a living. If you're married, be faithful to your wife; being a good husband is the foundation of being a good father. If you're single, remember that those babes you're eyeing are somebody's daughter or sister, and are the mothers of the next generation- treat them with respect. Honor Creator in all that you do, as a sacrifice for the people, so as to bring blessings on all that you do.

In some traditional communities, the men have circles that meet each week where the men talk together and encourage each other. When a man has a problem, the entire circle gathers him in, helps him find resolution, instructs him on the proper way to handle things, walks with him through it, and holds him to account for his words and actions. What is said in the circle is not spoken outside of it in respect for the privacy of the participants. Each circle has elders who act as mentors and teachers so that everything is done in accordance with traditions. Young men are brought into circle, on the average, at age 15, but sometimes at younger ages if the situation warrants it.

Women need to remember the sacred position we have as life-givers and honor that gift by behaving modestly, because what ever we do with our bodies WILL have an effect on our children. Putting it out for a chance to get drunk or high is a slap across the face of every female ancestor clear back to the first woman, as is sleeping around/snaggin/whatever you want to call it. Married women should be faithful to their husbands, and single women should be chaste so that they can show that they will be faithful as wives. Don't nag your husband or pick fights because you're not satisfied-instead put your time and energy into encouraging your husband and making you home a warm and peaceful place he will want to come home to. Being a good wife is the foundation of being a good mother. Teach you children to be respectful of each other, their peers, and especially their elders; children who are polite and well-mannered bring honor to their family. Do everything in devotion to Creator, even scrubbing the bathroom, so as to bring blessings on your house.

Parents do not spend enough time with their children, and too often, they take out their frustrations on the children, wounding and crushing tender young hearts and spirits with harsh words and hands, and planting seeds of pain which grow to resentment and hate. TV is not a babysitter or pacifier, and it doesn't teach them how to be decent human beings, how to discover and use their talents, or how to be happy in life; all it does is put garbage in their heads and makes them unsatisfied because of all the stuff they don't have, so turn it off and play games or do things with them. Be honest with your children at all times, and prepare them to deal with the things they will come across daily, being an example yourself as to what they are to do.

Honor your parents and elders, caring for them as you would want to be cared for yourself-as they once cared for you when you couldn't do so yourself. Seek out their wisdom and guidance, and let your children spend time with them, because this is how the ways of our ancestors have been passed down from the beginning. Give a portion of what you have to your elders so that they are not left cold, hungry, or in need, and Creator will honor you and see to it that you have all you need. If your children grow up seeing you do this for your elders, they will inturn do it for you.

Don't blame others for you failures and mistakes-learn from them and do better next time. Don't give up when faced with opposition or adversity-use it as an opportunity to become stronger and wiser by meeting and overcoming it. Think before you speak, and consider how each word out of your mouth is going to affect those who hear it; if nothing good will be accomplished, then keep your mouth shut.

There's more, but I need to give my mind a rest. Much of what elders say is hard to listen to because we are reminded of our own shortcomings and just how much we don't know yet, and because we are called to be selfless people in a selfish world which mugs us every day as we step out to deal with it. Every day is a struggle for so many of us, and some days it seems easier to just give it up than to keep fighting. These kids have had it beaten out of them and they're angry, empty, and hurting. They don't know what it really means to be Lakota or Anishinabe, or whatever tribe they're from, and down in their hearts they feel like they've been robbed by their own people because their parents and relatives didn't teach them. In that respect they have a right to be angry. Yeah, this is a big mess.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #35
PowWows.com Addicts

TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,511.60
Right on Tsanuwa...!

No one "makes us" feel anything, we choose to feel, act, and react the way we do. ~~Nino's Philosophy

I am not the Creator and therefore cannot "save" anyone. The path one walks is between the individual and the creator; not to be judged by me. ~TurtleWoman
TurtleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #36
Super Troop

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsanuwa Usgolv
My great-grandmother spoke better English than most white folks, and would whap the back of our legs with her cane of we used "ain't, "got no" or other incorrect forms of English. But in her home she spoke Cherokee only and refused to answer us if we spoke in English. The language is crucial to understanding and passing on the culture.

Whites are definitely to blame for what they did to us, but we are to blame for what we are doing to ourselves. I could hate unegas until the Last Day and not improve my life or that of my children one bit. The elders say that hatred is a poison that not only fails to fill up the empty places in us but destroys us clear to the marrow of our souls. We need to forgive ourselves, each other, and yes, even the white man-regardless of whether he deserves it or not-before we can be free of some of these things marring our spirits. Taking responsibility for oneself, one's own thought, words, and actions, empowers us; we are no longer at the whim of another, no longer reacting to what someone else does but determining our own actions.

This is some of what I hear from elders and traditional-minded people among various tribes:

Men need to regain respect in themselves and in the eyes of the women by being providers for their families...even if it IS flipping burgers. And if their aren't any jobs, make one. either use the skills you've got or develop new ones and use it to earn a living. If you're married, be faithful to your wife; being a good husband is the foundation of being a good father. If you're single, remember that those babes you're eyeing are somebody's daughter or sister, and are the mothers of the next generation- treat them with respect. Honor Creator in all that you do, as a sacrifice for the people, so as to bring blessings on all that you do.

In some traditional communities, the men have circles that meet each week where the men talk together and encourage each other. When a man has a problem, the entire circle gathers him in, helps him find resolution, instructs him on the proper way to handle things, walks with him through it, and holds him to account for his words and actions. What is said in the circle is not spoken outside of it in respect for the privacy of the participants. Each circle has elders who act as mentors and teachers so that everything is done in accordance with traditions. Young men are brought into circle, on the average, at age 15, but sometimes at younger ages if the situation warrants it.

Women need to remember the sacred position we have as life-givers and honor that gift by behaving modestly, because what ever we do with our bodies WILL have an effect on our children. Putting it out for a chance to get drunk or high is a slap across the face of every female ancestor clear back to the first woman, as is sleeping around/snaggin/whatever you want to call it. Married women should be faithful to their husbands, and single women should be chaste so that they can show that they will be faithful as wives. Don't nag your husband or pick fights because you're not satisfied-instead put your time and energy into encouraging your husband and making you home a warm and peaceful place he will want to come home to. Being a good wife is the foundation of being a good mother. Teach you children to be respectful of each other, their peers, and especially their elders; children who are polite and well-mannered bring honor to their family. Do everything in devotion to Creator, even scrubbing the bathroom, so as to bring blessings on your house.

Parents do not spend enough time with their children, and too often, they take out their frustrations on the children, wounding and crushing tender young hearts and spirits with harsh words and hands, and planting seeds of pain which grow to resentment and hate. TV is not a babysitter or pacifier, and it doesn't teach them how to be decent human beings, how to discover and use their talents, or how to be happy in life; all it does is put garbage in their heads and makes them unsatisfied because of all the stuff they don't have, so turn it off and play games or do things with them. Be honest with your children at all times, and prepare them to deal with the things they will come across daily, being an example yourself as to what they are to do.

Honor your parents and elders, caring for them as you would want to be cared for yourself-as they once cared for you when you couldn't do so yourself. Seek out their wisdom and guidance, and let your children spend time with them, because this is how the ways of our ancestors have been passed down from the beginning. Give a portion of what you have to your elders so that they are not left cold, hungry, or in need, and Creator will honor you and see to it that you have all you need. If your children grow up seeing you do this for your elders, they will inturn do it for you.

Don't blame others for you failures and mistakes-learn from them and do better next time. Don't give up when faced with opposition or adversity-use it as an opportunity to become stronger and wiser by meeting and overcoming it. Think before you speak, and consider how each word out of your mouth is going to affect those who hear it; if nothing good will be accomplished, then keep your mouth shut.

There's more, but I need to give my mind a rest. Much of what elders say is hard to listen to because we are reminded of our own shortcomings and just how much we don't know yet, and because we are called to be selfless people in a selfish world which mugs us every day as we step out to deal with it. Every day is a struggle for so many of us, and some days it seems easier to just give it up than to keep fighting. These kids have had it beaten out of them and they're angry, empty, and hurting. They don't know what it really means to be Lakota or Anishinabe, or whatever tribe they're from, and down in their hearts they feel like they've been robbed by their own people because their parents and relatives didn't teach them. In that respect they have a right to be angry. Yeah, this is a big mess.
You took every word out of my mind, they were in my head all scrambled but you put them perfectly together. Is there anyway possible that this post could be put in every thread??? That way everyone of us could be reminded of these things.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #37
*Look Into My Eyes*

TigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond reputeTigerEyes214 has a reputation beyond repute
likewise i agree completely with Tsanuwa Usgolv. The only thing we should still be mad at white people about is when they get the best of us by making us take the job of killing each other off their hands and into our own. Its wrong and its a shame any way you look at it. It should not be happening anywhere because how are we every going to get anywhere if we kill ourselves?? why is it soo hard for us to understand the concept of unity??_ Unity makes us a greater force, unity makes us stronger, and unity makes us not easily overcome. Unity takes an effort from every person to make it work._ Maybe one day we can realize that and stand as one.:Angel2
TigerEyes214 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2004, 10:34 PM   #38
Super Troop

Before I used to go into the chatrooms in Yahoo, and everytime I would go into the Indiginous chatroom or Native American chatroom there was always someone fighting in the chatroom, trying to sound like black people, and just not saying anything of importance. I was thinking, "Wow, maybe they are discussing something of importance, or sharing tips on regalia, or steps on a particular dance," or something that would actually make your mind work, but no, instead I was reading idiotic comments going back and fourth. Not to mention when someone was talking on the mic. F you, you ugly azz, and things of that sort. I always put in my two beads and commented on why are we talking like this to eachother, that instead of fighting against eachother, and hating eachother we should be uniting and making our people a strong one again, for the sake of our future generations, to keep traditions alive, and songs going forever, and dances ever so graceful. Because it is our way of life. We are allowing the white people to win if we keep this attitude up, but it is people like us contributing to this thread that WILL make a difference, and there is so much hope. I look at my daughter and and see her as our future as well as other native children and lets make it a fight to the end to keep our traditions alive, and to keep this negativity form going on. It takes one step at a time, and now what should be our first step? Making a better difference at home.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:34 PM   #39
Banned

I'm glad that the supporters for traditions are still with us. With all of the mixing and fusing of cultures I was beginning to think that I was the only one not saying "I hear dat" or "bring me a sangwich" or "aint that the truf". Because these sayings are not acceptable for us. I'd rather be learning our native languages throughout the USA instead of having to decipher this Hollywood MTV English bullshyt.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #40
Quality Taco Inspector

Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
Savings: 1.00
Its nice to see a 20 year old have such deep thoughts. Quicksilver I agree with you its a shame to see whats going on with this MTV bull.... We need to teach young men how to be men. Of course they are going to need men who care and men who practice what they preach. Dont seem to be all that many these days.
Gache is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links