Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Girl Punished for Speaking Native Language Girl Punished for Speaking Native Language

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
Banned

Items Tree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,536.73
Savings: 0.00
If in fact she was punished for speaking her language, and that was the only reason she was punished, then there needs to be some SERIOUS reprimanding and consequences against the teacher herself. However, if the fact is that the girl was just being disrespectful (as teenagers have a tendency to do, Native and Non Native a like) than the girl should serve her punishment without a complaint. Do the crime do the time, works both ways. I do believe that this would not necessarily be an issue if the girl was say Oriental, or Iranian, or Russian, etc, etc.

I seem to remember a time long ago when a child would bring home a bad grade, that child was expected to answer to his/her parents for that grade, now a days it seems if a child brings home a bad grade, the parents are expecting the teacher to answer for that grade. Wonder if that might also apply here. Anyway, just my
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezrazed View Post
If in fact she was punished for speaking her language, and that was the only reason she was punished, then there needs to be some SERIOUS reprimanding and consequences against the teacher herself. However, if the fact is that the girl was just being disrespectful (as teenagers have a tendency to do, Native and Non Native a like) than the girl should serve her punishment without a complaint.
That is a succinct manner of drafting what I believe although I'm not 100% certain that SERIOUS consequences are in order if it is the former.

In a vacuum? "Sure."

But we've already been made aware that the kid was not behaving all day. If it was just the straw that decimated the camel, I don't have any big issues beyond our knee-jerk whining related to generational trauma.

Sometimes you get spanked because you deserve to be spanked. I doubt there was a classroom conspiracy to eradicate -- via verbal genocide -- a language, culture, belief system or manner of being.

It's much more likely that he kid was being an a-s-s.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
1. If the kid, in whatever situation this was, had been instructed to use English...
2. And was guilty of other transgressions throughout the day...
3. And this is where the line was drawn?

I don't see the issue beyond knee-jerk sensitivity as, sometimes, you get nuked for a $50 crime because it's your hundredth one of the day. (sigh)

As for conversation caveats, in a classroom it's always the teacher's time not the kids'. This wasn't during recess, right?
Thanks, I was hoping you'd show up, Zeke. You always help make threads more interesting!
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
Banned

Items Tree
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,536.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
That is a succinct manner of drafting what I believe although I'm not 100% certain that SERIOUS consequences are in order if it is the former.

In a vacuum? "Sure."

But we've already been made aware that the kid was not behaving all day. If it was just the straw that decimated the camel, I don't have any big issues beyond our knee-jerk whining related to generational trauma.

Sometimes you get spanked because you deserve to be spanked. I doubt there was a classroom conspiracy to eradicate -- via verbal genocide -- a language, culture, belief system or manner of being.

It's much more likely that he kid was being an a-s-s.
As I agree the child was probably just being an a-s-s, it's also always a thought that once a statement complaint or junction is issued against a teacher, professor, supervisor, etc, there usually comes a statement of, "well, this person was doing this all day."

Again, not to say that the kid wasn't just being a disrespectful little brat, just saying, this is my opinion, and without being there to know exactly what transpired throughout the day, I can only give my opinion, which at the end of the day really doesn't mean much in this case, but my 2 cents anyway.
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #25
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,531.36
This teachers' kid says "sounds like the language issue was the straw that broke the teachers' back". I think her whole lousy week just came spewing out and the kid who had given her the most trouble that week bore the brunt of her frustration. Is it right? Of course not, but it happens. I do think the teacher should have some sort of formal reprimand and needs to have a lot more patience or change professions.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links