Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Grief and Trauma Grief and Trauma

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
Ole Heathen

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Badmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Grief and Trauma

Anyone who's ever been on the Qualla Boundary might see billboards asking, "What is historical grief and trauma?"
This is an off-the-wall campaign by a Cherokee social worker who has been hypothesizing that all of our problems, you know alcoholism, domestic violence, gangs, drugs and especially diabetes are because of the historical "grief and trauma" the Cherokee experienced, as opposed to individuals making bad choices.
What was funny was seeing one of those billboard side-by-side with an Arby's ad.
Anyway, what do you all think about this philosophy? I think it's crap. I'm not fat because Andrew Jackson sent more than half my tribe to Oklahoma. I'm fat 'cause I'd rather eat peppers and sausage and play Grand Theft Auto than eat wild greens and exercise. But that's just my thoughts. :Eyebrows
Old 03-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
2004--time for personal responsibility

i don't necessarily agree w/throwing it off on "historical grief and trauma"=some people might perceive that as a bit of an excuse=but i do think we are playing catch up in terms of education, socialization, health care, judicial justice, (anything that can/will affect quality of life)--things that historical circumstances have cheated our people out of--but w/better access to all of these things our lives are improving

in this day and age, especially among us young people, and more specifically among people who've grown up lower to middle class w/decent educations, and/or with educated parents/stable households, they're smart enough to KNOW (know the difference, not that we always choose what's right) the importance of "personal choice", and that includes the consequences (good or bad) of those choices--

badmutha, i'm feeling ya on the food choices (luv my greens though :) )---obesity is right up there w/smoking now as one of the leading causes of death

Last edited by geronimo; 04-19-2004 at 05:15 PM..
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2004, 10:23 PM   #3
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
I don't think you can totally throw it off as being stemed from grief and trauma, but then again as the say goes, what choices we make today affect our tommorow's. I think alot of mis-education is a big part. As well as what geronimo stated about playing catch up to today. But then again we still have alot of what we had back in the day. Most of the foods are still here although it cost a bit more to grow then it did back then. As for the violence I would have to say in my opinion it could be split....like I said alot of what happens today, plays a big part in tommorow, if we as a people, or a society are suppressed then of course that is going to come out at sometime, especially those who have been taught or even lived the life of being suppressed. I'm not to sure on the alcoholism thing though...I mean I know alot of people that don't have much, nor much family and they spend alot of time turning towards drugs and alcohol, and on the other hand I know many people that are well off with money and other things that still turn towards drugs and alcohol I guess as a way to suppress their feelings or to keep from dealing with things that need to be dealt with. I would have to say that each person has their own reasons for doing what they do. I don't know that I would throw a blankted answer for most of the problems in general, but then I guess thats where the hypothesis comes into play.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Ok obviously you did not call or attend the seminar did you? I know what you are talking about, and it's being offered in haudenosaunee territory and it's not as blunt as... a war happened, now I've got too many bills to pay. It's a way of looking at a timeline to pinpoint where some of the modern problems we have stemmed from and to look and see if there is a solution to the present in our history.. ie: what can we learn from the past to heal today and the future. It's probably not a fullproof ideal but it's not a totally radical idea either. If I were back home I would totally like to go hear what is said and make a decision based on what they have to say rather than scoff at it because of a billboard. BTW.. this idea was formed by several native elders and leaders from many different nations who came together to try to find a way of healing our nations. It's at least worth finding out about don't you think?
Old 03-24-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Ole Heathen

Badmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond reputeBadmutha has a reputation beyond repute
OK Blackbear, point well taken, but...

It wouldn't be so bad if this same person wasn't also putting up ads telling full-grown men and women to eat their vegetables.
It's all well and good to look at our history to see if and how it applies to today, but ultimately it personal responsibility, as Geronimo pointed out, that will make a true difference.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmutha
It wouldn't be so bad if this same person wasn't also putting up ads telling full-grown men and women to eat their vegetables.
It's all well and good to look at our history to see if and how it applies to today, but ultimately it personal responsibility, as Geronimo pointed out, that will make a true difference.
ROFLMAO!!! You have a problem with eating vegetables? Jk

I don't disagree with that.. but it is a start. And any native developed programs I'm all for giving a shot, especially when it's developed by our elders and leaders and spiritual leaders.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
Talking

Personally I think these seminars/classes are a good thing as-strange as it may seem-quite a few natives don't know the whole truth of what all happened, just bits and pieces. I think to understand all of it is necessary for the people to see where the problems such as substance abuse, domestic violence, child molesting, self-hatred and other self-esteem issues, depression, suicide, criminal behavior, and other destructive things have come from, to really see what we're doing to ourselves, and work on changing our attitudes and actions for the good of the people in coming generations.

We should wait for the whiteman to come do this for us? This is like being in a burning house. Shall we blame him for striking the match while the house burns down on top of us rather than put the effort into saving ourselves and our kids from the fire? The house can be rebuilt, but destroyed lives cannot be replaced.

PS. Us eastern/s'eastern ndn's ate mostly vegetables, so what's the beef with that? I draw the line at saurkraut, rutabeggars(hope I spelled that right), and a couple of other veggies dishes, tho.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
Ole Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsanuwa Usgolv
Personally I think these seminars/classes are a good thing as-strange as it may seem-quite a few natives don't know the whole truth of what all happened, just bits and pieces. I think to understand all of it is necessary for the people to see where the problems such as substance abuse, domestic violence, child molesting, self-hatred and other self-esteem issues, depression, suicide, criminal behavior, and other destructive things have come from, to really see what we're doing to ourselves, and work on changing our attitudes and actions for the good of the people in coming generations.

We should wait for the whiteman to come do this for us? This is like being in a burning house. Shall we blame him for striking the match while the house burns down on top of us rather than put the effort into saving ourselves and our kids from the fire? The house can be rebuilt, but destroyed lives cannot be replaced.

PS. Us eastern/s'eastern ndn's ate mostly vegetables, so what's the beef with that? I draw the line at saurkraut, rutabeggars(hope I spelled that right), and a couple of other veggies dishes, tho.
I love vegetables, hence why I said I'd rather eat PEPPERS and sausage. No Italian NDNS out there? Singerdad probably knows what I'm talking about.
The point is: we're grown adults. Why can't we be treated like it?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
Darn! Nobody caught my pun about "what's the beef"...as in moo-cow meat? I'm mortified. Either I didn't express that right or y'all are kinda dense.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2004, 01:07 AM   #10
Honey Connoissuer

I'll admit.. it went right over my head LOL
Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #11
Ole Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsanuwa Usgolv
Darn! Nobody caught my pun about "what's the beef"...as in moo-cow meat? I'm mortified. Either I didn't express that right or y'all are kinda dense.
It's totally your fault! :taunting:
Old 03-29-2004, 10:58 PM   #12
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Peppers are fattening ???????
Old 03-30-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
Ole Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakalapi
Peppers are fattening ???????
No, but Italian sausage is, and it's so good, a heap better than groundhog.