Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #261
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
babya is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
What are tanka bars?
babya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #262
Pow Wow Visitor

chandari is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 106.12
Cool Tanka Bars

I just did a search on these and it appears they are buffalo/cranberry bars. They sound pretty good. And being natural, I'm assuming they are high in protein, which is something I am always looking for. Does anyone know if these can be found in the Dallas, Texas area at all?
chandari is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #263
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Here's a website for the company that makes them with information on the product and ordering info...

https://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/main/main.cvw
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #264
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Savings: 1.00
i had some lamb at this restaurant and i thought it would be all tough but it melted in my mouth....tg for lamb...and the greek salad was great and the rice and potatoes were yummy also...
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #265
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
So is lamb considered mutton? Or is there some distinction there? Mutton always sounds like some old tough greasy sheep.

Anyway, with the beef recall, all the hormones and antibiotics that they give the cattle in the feedlots, and just generally wondering what's up with the meat in the stores - I'm thinking of raising my own cow.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #266
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
wyo - Lamb refers to the meat from young sheep that are one week to about eight months in age. "Hothouse lamb" is from an animal that is one to two weeks old. "Baby lamb" is from a young sheep that is four to six weeks old. "Regular lamb" (what you get at the supermarket) is meat from a baby sheep that is six weeks to one year in age. After a sheep is older than 1 year old the meat is referred to as mutton or "yearling lamb". After the animal is 2 or more years old the meat is referred to as mutton.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #267
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
Sorry Blackbear - I hadn't intended to offend any natives who believe that way. I apologize.

Josiah - that was a really great article with some very well-thought and coherent points made. I'm convinced after reading it that there will no longer be margarine or shortening used in our house, but plain old butter.

I guess bottom line is there are many merits to eating meat, I will continue to eat meat and enjoy it, but if others feel differently, to each their own.

I do take exception to SiG's campaign to make me feel guilty or less spiritual for eating the way that my people have for centuries..

Oh no.. I was'nt offended and I don't believe that way myself. I was just saying that if we can believe one direction about eating meat, then why is it hard to believe there are those that can believe the opposite is all I was pointing out. I'm a meateater and love the meat! I like my steaks medium rare to rare but I prefer seafood over all. I've even had whale and seal so ... no nuage tripper is gonna make me feel guilty either.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #268
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence is golden View Post
looks can be deceiving over the computer.i thought you were a great man warrior from alaska..nice picture of the bear in front of the cpomputer.
It's called Ebear and it's a picture of a figurine I have ... I hope you don't seriously think it's a real bear.

Quote:
after the shock that you are a woman not a man,im disgusted wuith you and your lucky that we never met face to face and i hope we never do.
Who's lucky? We still met here did'nt we? That's more than I ever wished for...

Quote:
when a person speaks then its obvious that hey are actually a fool sometinmes. thats how i feel about you,after your last comment. you were way up there as my friend before you r last comment....i sure did laugh ayt the comment about the posting,for hours i couldnt stop.now i think you atre a total frekin fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am rubber and you are glue..... Whatever! I honestly think you need to just leave this thread alone.

I never asked you to elevate me to friend nor gave you the indication I wanted to be your friend.

I'm not fond of nuagers or people who don't listen and try to convince you that a book is more truthful than the people themselves telling the story. That's something that actually irks me bad. And the books you talked about were by KNOWN nuagers.. indian or not, sunbear is far from a traditional indian teaching traditional spirituality and even if he did... it's not how my people practiced spirituality. So get over yourself, humble yourself and listen for a change. You might actually learn something worthwhile and real here.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #269
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds View Post
wyo - Lamb refers to the meat from young sheep that are one week to about eight months in age. "Hothouse lamb" is from an animal that is one to two weeks old. "Baby lamb" is from a young sheep that is four to six weeks old. "Regular lamb" (what you get at the supermarket) is meat from a baby sheep that is six weeks to one year in age. After a sheep is older than 1 year old the meat is referred to as mutton or "yearling lamb". After the animal is 2 or more years old the meat is referred to as mutton.

Thanks!! No offense to all y'all that love mutton!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #270
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
So is lamb considered mutton? Or is there some distinction there? Mutton always sounds like some old tough greasy sheep.

Anyway, with the beef recall, all the hormones and antibiotics that they give the cattle in the feedlots, and just generally wondering what's up with the meat in the stores - I'm thinking of raising my own cow.
You would be blown away how good the beef tastes even if you just range fed it, meaning grass. Its why Kyobi Beef is so expensive they feed the beef only beer and grains. They massage it daily and only talk nice to it and kill it very qucikly so that it is not stressed. The best beef in the world
So feed it only grains and grasses, rub it down daily and feed him some beer but not the cheap stuff
LOL
Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #271
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Thanks!! No offense to all y'all that love mutton!
You kind of develop a taste for it after awhile especially if its been eating sage and pinions
yumm
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #272
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
You would be blown away how good the beef tastes even if you just range fed it, meaning grass. Its why Kyobi Beef is so expensive they feed the beef only beer and grains. They massage it daily and only talk nice to it and kill it very qucikly so that it is not stressed. The best beef in the world
So feed it only grains and grasses, rub it down daily and feed him some beer but not the cheap stuff
LOL
lol i got a cheaper way to make Kyobi Beef if you can't get the cow already done that way, when i was a kid my family live in japen for awaile and my mom fixed Kyobi beef for us on party days she would get a fairly big pice of meat{ not the Kyobi} cut in bits size pices and over night let it set in a big bowl of a dry white wine with like 3 parts wine one part of soysause,it makes the meat so tender with a sweet salty tast, mom would cook it in a iron pan and make cottage frys with seameseeds mix in on the side ,that was living well.

Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 02-19-2008 at 06:08 PM..
2lineCarrandMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #273
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
lol i got a cheaper way to make Kyobi Beef if you can't get the cow already done that way, when i was a kid my family live in japen for awaile and my mom fixed Kyobi beef for us on party days she would get a fairly big pice of meat{ not the Kyobi} cut in bits size pices and over night let it set in a big bowl of a dry white wine with like 3 parts wine one part of soysause,it makes the meat so tender with a sweet salty tast, mom would cook it in a iron pan and make cottage frys with seameseeds mix in on the side ,that was living well.
Now you got me drooling
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #274
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
Now you got me drooling
every since I started this thread I have been thinking about grilling something
I am buying a Brisket this weekend and grilling it for 8 hrs till it falls apart
mmmmmm
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #275
Teepee Creepin near you

soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
every since I started this thread I have been thinking about grilling something
I am buying a Brisket this weekend and grilling it for 8 hrs till it falls apart
mmmmmm
So... where exactly do you live and when's dinner??
Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #276
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
So... where exactly do you live and when's dinner??
If you were map Oklahoma and look for the exact center of the State you would be close
I live where the last F5 came through the State and tried its best to move Oklahoma to Kansas
LOL
Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #277
Teepee Creepin near you

Quote:
If you were map Oklahoma and look for the exact center of the State you would be close
I live where the last F5 came through the State and tried its best to move Oklahoma to Kansas
LOL
Gotcha see you at five, you want I should bring some spuds??
Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #278
Tiny Tot Dancer

silverbluewolf is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Grease

Grease Is The Word!
silverbluewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #279
Pow Wow Visitor

1/4 Menominee is a glorious beacon of light
The problem with meat nowdays is all the drugs they are filed with, Growth Hormone,Antibitocs,and highly androgenic steroids like finaplix. Bison,Deer, back in the old days were very healthy, someone mentioned grass fed beef it's much better nutrient wise, than corn fed beef.

Ps first post, good to be here my parternal grandfather was full blooded Menominee, although I'm only 1/4 native I still take my heriatge seriously and I 'look' more native than my brother for example.
1/4 Menominee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #280
Banned

silence is golden is infamous around these partssilence is golden is infamous around these partssilence is golden is infamous around these partssilence is golden is infamous around these parts
To Blackbear,im sorry,im jusrt brand new to computers,and, i know you dont care about your health,but you should never sit in front of a computer when you are pregnant,and you shouldnt be cutting down sun bear,.......it sounds like a lot of you are going to be slaughtered for lots of lifetimes..though eating meat dulls your brain and you cant understand ancient teachings,and makes you not care about your self..Its stupid to eat the cows.Native Americans never used to eat cows.You have to be the beef for many future lifetimes,and most likely die of cancer in this life.,duh...In all ancient cultures,the cow is considered to be like a mother,giving milk freely,for millions of recipees,and the bull is like the father,he helps till the land.In India,and Thailand,ive seen cows beiing allowed to freely roam the streets...
silence is golden is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links