Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Haskell Indian Nations Environmental Concern Haskell Indian Nations Environmental Concern

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator
 
WhoMe's Avatar
 
Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Land of 370 Broken Treaties
Posts: 7,150
Credits: 11,584.70
Savings: 0.00
Haskell Indian Nations Environmental Concern

Many U.S. Natives have family ties to Haskell. Here is a great environmental article about Haskell Indian Nations University written by one of our interns. It contains great historical information about the Haskell!

http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2011/07...-wetlands.html
__________________
Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
I am not always Haskell's largest proponent but we needn't get into that, here.

I find this article to be well written and researched -- making many salient points of import -- the most profound of which (in my opinion) is found below, via Vine Deloria quote.

"Even though most of the wetlands do not belong to Haskell anymore, and the SLT would be built through Baker University’s portion..."

Essentially, if he is correct, Haskell bears not a horse in this race, beyond an esoteric "historical tie," making ANY position difficult to logically or legally defend. In sum -- via article -- the Feds owned the land, deemed it surplus, sold it to the City of Lawrence, who then gave it (the area needed for the SLT) to Baker University.

Residing nearby, I can tell you that Lawrence needs the SLT. I doubt that Baker needs 500 acres of unimproved wetlands.

I'd bet the SLT gets built.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Larryville
Posts: 40
Credits: 588.45
Savings: 0.00
I'm sorry I don't mean to come off rudely but your wrong.
Residing directly next to the wetlands in question for the past 5 years until 2 weeks ago yesterday evening I feel I can testify to fact that Lawrence in fact doesn't need the SLT
First however I will address your comment that Haskell does not bear a "horse in this race".

Actually we have succeeded in preventing the SLT from being constructed for a very long time. So it would seem apparent to me that we would qualify for at least one "horse" in this race just based on precedent.

Secondly Haskell has cultural and historic claims to the area in question true; but we also have sweats and other areas where ceremonies are conducted in that portion of campus. The construction of the SLT in the proposed location would not only be detrimental to the historic and cultural ties the students of Haskell maintain with this place; it would be obstructive of the practice of native spirituality on the Haskell campus. I believe this may qualify for another horse in your metaphorical race.

Besides the fact that Lawrence seems to be doing quite well with K10 running through its current location and the turnpike running through its location; I will pay lip service to the idea that Lawrence in fact does need another high way.
Why must the highway be ran through a natural resource, an important geological feature of the area (the wetlands drains Lawrence, run a highway through it and you risk flooding not only the highway but the city as well) an important historic and cultural landmark and educational site?

The SLT could run through other locations; the easiest location would be the property just on the other side of the river (which isn't wetlands, and would be easier to build a highway through) this property also is not used for research, portions of it are not held by the federal government and those ornery Haskell kids make no claim to it. So why hasn't the state of Kansas asserted its right of imminent domain and ran the highway through this property? It belongs to a judge. KDOT would much rather screw the Indians.

In response to the last part of your comment that you bet the SLT does get constructed; I cannot tell you what will come to pass in the years ahead of us.
However I can tell you this; Haskell students are deeply connected to this area and we have and continue to fight for the wetlands rights.
Haskell students have laid down in front of bulldozers to stop this highway; whether it gets built or not I can tell you that Haskell students are ready and willing to do this again and more if need be.
We know what is legal and what isn't; after all we are students at a University. We will and are doing everything we can to protect this land.
Whether that means court cases or non violent direct action.
Thank you and I apologize for appearing rude; I simply had to express the fact the vehemently disagree with your comment.
HaskellAlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
I'm sorry I don't mean to come off rudely but your wrong.
I don't mind directness: but be right or convincing. (I perceive neither in your pseudo-arguments.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Residing directly next to the wetlands in question for the past 5 years until 2 weeks ago yesterday evening I feel I can testify to fact that Lawrence in fact doesn't need the SLT.
And I feel I can testify to the idea that such makes you inherently biased, overtly romantic, lack perspective in that matter, and that your statement is FAR from "fact." To be addressed more directly below, it would appear the "Haskellization" of your thought process has disavowed a clear rationality in this -- and I would presume other -- matter(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
First however I will address your comment that Haskell does not bear a "horse in this race".
Oh, please do. If you list your suppositions individually they will be easier to critique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Actually we have succeeded in preventing the SLT from being constructed for a very long time. So it would seem apparent to me that we would qualify for at least one "horse" in this race just based on precedent.
I think you grotesquely overestimate your import and fail to grasp reality. I assure you (ask anyone who has lived in the real world) that, if the state/feds had yet determined that the SLT was an immediate necessity, it would be built posthaste. That it has not been built thus far would, likely, be due more to budgetary constraints and priority than anything a group of students with no actual land claim has been able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Secondly Haskell has cultural and historic claims to the area in question true; but we also have sweats and other areas where ceremonies are conducted in that portion of campus. The construction of the SLT in the proposed location would not only be detrimental to the historic and cultural ties the students of Haskell maintain with this place; it would be obstructive of the practice of native spirituality on the Haskell campus. I believe this may qualify for another horse in your metaphorical race.
Unfortunately, it does not. In fact, I would put forth that the longtime historical existence of Indian Removal Policy (you do remember that, right?) indicates that such factors are NOT taken into account when such decisions are made. In sum, this argument is laughable at its face. If you desire to invoke history, recall that history implies the Indians (who actually had a rightful land claim as opposed to the mythical one you're setting forth) will have to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Besides the fact that Lawrence seems to be doing quite well with K10 running through its current location and the turnpike running through its location; I will pay lip service to the idea that Lawrence in fact does need another high way.
Oh, please. Now you're pandering. We BOTH know that K10 is not an actual highway, sports dozens of stops and interruptions between Olathe and Lawrence, and that its traffic pattern is mitigated tolerable merely because motorists are willing to drive north to a crowded I70 and drive through the city to its southern part merely to SAVE TIME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Why must the highway be ran through a natural resource, an important geological feature of the area (the wetlands drains Lawrence, run a highway through it and you risk flooding not only the highway but the city as well) an important historic and cultural landmark and educational site?
Why? Because it's NOT a geological, historical or cultural landmark of either tactical or strategic import to decisionmakers and it's only a natural resource in the model that it provides "drainage." Wonderful! (Sarcasm.) So does a big ditch... I'm reasonably certain that -- since about Rome -- engineers have figured out how to complete this task more efficiently and directly than requiring 500 undeveloped acres of standing marshland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
The SLT could run through other locations; the easiest location would be the property just on the other side of the river (which isn't wetlands, and would be easier to build a highway through) this property also is not used for research, portions of it are not held by the federal government and those ornery Haskell kids make no claim to it.
Ah yes. Herein is the WEAK argument wherein you assign certain qualities of the entire land mass in an attempt to administratively poison a specific portion of land that shares NONE of these qualities. (You know, the small area owned by Baker University where the SLT would actually be built.) This location features ALL of the positives that you mention and is IN NO WAY encumbered by any use, issue, or concern save for those "Haskell kids" without an actual land claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
So why hasn't the state of Kansas asserted its right of imminent domain and ran the highway through this property? It belongs to a judge. KDOT would much rather (emphasis added) screw the Indians.
See? This is the incredibly short-sighted and weak "Haskellization" of which I mention. You remind me of the fans of my favorite NCAA football team. If/when something, invariably, doesn't go in the manner that they wish, it is ALWAYS the fault of "bad calls" or the officials. It's never because their QB played poorly or the defense gave up 42 points...

UNDERSTAND THIS: Nobody is screwing Indians. Educated folks, making globally necessary choices, using the best data available, in the interest of many thousands of citizens, are determining what to do in reference to city traffic, growth and sustainability. Sum? You're just not that important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
In response to the last part of your comment that you bet the SLT does get constructed; I cannot tell you what will come to pass in the years ahead of us.
I can. When Lawrence (if necessary for growth) can afford a highway, they're going to build a highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
However I can tell you this; Haskell students are deeply connected to this area and we have and continue to fight for the wetlands rights.
UNDERSTAND THIS: The wetlands have no rights. The owner, in this specific case Baker University, bears rights. Further, your self-righteous and ZERO STANDING arguments have all just been eviscerated by someone with nothing to gain by doing so, merely because it's easy to do.

Imagine -- if you're even given the meaningless courtesy of a meeting -- what a paid, motivated, super shark of a capitalist law firm attorney with DEEP state/federal backing could do? (I presume you'd leave in tears.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Haskell students have laid down in front of bulldozers to stop this highway; whether it gets built or not I can tell you that Haskell students are ready and willing to do this again and more if need be.
(sigh) To protect what isn't actually theirs? Or to fulfill the "Haskellized" fantasy of continuing to struggle against "The Man" in a historical war that is already over? Or, more directly, to avoid going to class in a semi-heroic and justifiable manner as opposed to perhaps attending, graduating, getting a job, and BUYING the land where this would never be a problem, again? (If they care so much about it.) Or, would that just be too much actual work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
We know what is legal and what isn't...
Apparently, not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
...after all we are students at a University. We will and are doing everything we can to protect this land.
That isn't, you know, an actual PART of said university...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Whether that means court cases or non violent direct action.
It's hard to go to court without an actual land claim. Haven't you thought that far? Or are you just romanticizing what occurred in Tiananmen Square before you were born? (HINT: China is still communist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
Thank you and I apologize for appearing rude; I simply had to express the fact the vehemently disagree with your comment.
As folks know, I have no issues with disagreement, directness or individuals (erroneously, in this case) reporting that I am wrong.

I just expect a better argument.

Last edited by Zeke; 07-31-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
One more push-up,Please!
 
lostsalt's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where the missouri & kaw rivers meet
Posts: 492
Credits: 3,730.53
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post

As folks know, I have no issues with disagreement, directness or individuals (erroneously, in this case) reporting that I am wrong.

I just expect a better argument.
Damn Zeke!!,
Maybe you should only use One barrel next time.
__________________
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsalt View Post
Damn Zeke!!,
Maybe you should only use One barrel next time.
I know. I occasionally swat flies with Buicks but I just get exceedingly frustrated sometimes.

Why? Because the issue here is not the passion of Native youth.

I applaud that.

The issue is a specific Native mindset, a mindset which I have -- consistently -- witnessed as being fostered and reinforced (if not generated) by a certain Native focused former industrial arts school located on the plains of NE Kansas.

[sigh]

Look, I'm not special. I'm from a small town in NE Oklahoma where I was NOT the big jock on campus (far from it). I went to college in a nearby state wherein I flunked out, TWICE. I battled back (attending a JUCO for multiple semesters) with a LOT of support from family and a wife who later -- deservedly -- divorced me. Eventually, I earned a Bachelor's degree after nine years. (A few years later, while still married and working fulltime, I earned a Master's.)

I have had so many ups and downs during the past twenty years that I have lost count. What I do know is this: I own them, all. Any mistakes I have made are mine, alone. Fate (and I have had to work through this) isn't waiting around determining the perfect opportunity to screw me. Sometimes, like highways through marshland that somebody else owns, things just happen.

That's the mindset of an adult, someone who has banished historical trauma, and who is unwilling to lie in front of a bulldozer because the city needs a highway, it wasn't mine to begin with, and God hears prayers from anywhere.

That's "who I am" and I am NOT the only one.

But so many Natives are so afraid of losing ANY perceived entitlement that they are unwilling to analyze its efficacy, even if it's not theirs.

Often, these are folks who perceive an education as being owed to them by a small university in NE Kansas that merely foundationalizes a lifelong stance of isolationist victimhood.

Step One is conditioning folks that their fortunes rest in 500 acres of unimproved marshland that another university owns...
gilisi likes this.

Last edited by Zeke; 08-01-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
One more push-up,Please!
 
lostsalt's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where the missouri & kaw rivers meet
Posts: 492
Credits: 3,730.53
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Often, these are folks who perceive an education as being owed to them by a small university in NE Kansas that merely foundationalizes a lifelong stance of isolationist victimhood.
In my humble opinion(which means nothing), a major problem is.....
That tribal schools and colleges do not have many, if any voices such as yours or even David Yeagley types.
Everything must have balance. There certainly are enough people teaching the victim role and the whats in it for me role.
However, you cannot blame the kids for trying to grasp what they can. Even if "its not owned by them". Some will learn things that they will use later in life, when they get our age. And at that time, the issues will be more appropriately chosen.
I hope that makes sense, i keep getting interupted try to write this.
That's what I get for logging into pwws.com when I'm supposed to be working.
__________________
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsalt View Post
In my humble opinion(which means nothing), a major problem is.....
That tribal schools and colleges do not have many, if any voices such as yours or even David Yeagley types.
Everything must have balance. There certainly are enough people teaching the victim role and the whats in it for me role.
However, you cannot blame the kids for trying to grasp what they can. Even if "its not owned by them". Some will learn things that they will use later in life, when they get our age. And at that time, the issues will be more appropriately chosen.
I hope that makes sense, i keep getting interupted try to write this.
That's what I get for logging into pwws.com when I'm supposed to be working.
As always, I appreciate your insight.

You're right, I can't blame kids for taking what is available.

What I can critique is accepting it then pissing it away... (What is the atrocious graduation rate at Haskell, again? Two years ago, I heard ~25% at five years...) I squandered some big scholarship $$$, being a kid, but worked my way back into another chance...

Also, to be polite as possible, "Haskell wouldn't hire a guy like me..."

Or, more specifically, "me."

At one point, with a Master's and a decade of experience for a position requiring a BA, they never phoned.

I wonder why?

Yes, yes... One could claim this is all my "bitterness" (sigh) but, I assure you, it is not.

I find it exceedingly humorous!

Essentially, an organization -- ANY organization -- has got to want "that" voice or you can't get in the door. (Or, they get threatened and quickly desire you out of it.)

Last edited by Zeke; 08-01-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Larryville
Posts: 40
Credits: 588.45
Savings: 0.00
Wow. Was it really necessary to attack me in such a manner? do you feel some satisfaction now? I hope so because it just reflects the kind of person you are.
I at least tried to demonstrate tact; let me tell you the lack of it does not indicate a higher mental caliber.

first let me say what on earth do you mean "pseudo argument"? when someone states something it is either argumentative in nature or not. there is no pseudo phase or stage in an argumentative statement.

Secondly how dare you presume to call me anything when you don't know me from Adam?
you start by assumimg I am overly romanticized, lack perspective and that I am far from fact, and then go further to presume that I lack rationality..
Assuming makes an *** out of you and me my friend. It is you who lost rationality by having to resort to a personal attack.

I do have a grasp on reality thank you, and you have no idea how much real world experience I have.
Perhaps I can demonstrate how in your haste to "swat" me with a "Buick" you in fact lost your grasp of reality.


"I assure you (ask anyone who has lived in the real world) that, if the state/feds had yet determined that the SLT was an immediate necessity, it would be built posthaste. That it has not been built thus far would, likely, be due more to budgetary constraints and priority than anything a group of students with no actual land claim has been able to do."

Actually the Kansas Department of Transportation which I mention (KDOT) in my previous post which remains unedited is the entity which has called for this traffic way not the city of Lawrence. They are also the ones funding the project. There is no lack of funding. The project is in court where it is in a state of delay by "students with no actual land claim" who have been in court for all these years. If you wish to know details you can look them up.


I am not even going to waste my time going the entirety of this assault but please "UNDERSTAND THIS" fortune teller

"I can. When Lawrence (if necessary for growth) can afford a highway, they're going to build a highway."

Lawrence doesn't have to pay for the highway the State of Kansas has already allocated the money.
In fact many of the local community members in Lawrence who are not affiliated with Haskell are against the SLT; including city council members.
Do you really think as college students we could afford to pay lawyer fees for all these years on our own? No, students fund raise but much of the money comes from non Indian members of the Lawrence community.

"Further, your self-righteous and ZERO STANDING arguments have all just been eviscerated by someone with nothing to gain by doing so, merely because it's easy to do."
wow you obviously have issues to go to such lengths to cut me down but maybe you should actually do some research before making such grand erroneous claims as this.

"Imagine -- if you're even given the meaningless courtesy of a meeting -- what a paid, motivated, super shark of a capitalist law firm attorney with DEEP state/federal backing could do? (I presume you'd leave in tears.)"
you don't think the state of Kansas isn't already employing these supposed tear inducing super sharks?



I never said anything about "The Man" but thank you so much for implying I think or possibly speak like some yuppy.

"Or, more directly, to avoid going to class in a semi-heroic and justifiable manner as opposed to perhaps attending, graduating, getting a job, and BUYING the land where this would never be a problem, again? (If they care so much about it.) Or, would that just be too much actual work?"

I have graduated; I have a job and have maintained consistent employment ever since I was 15 and a half (the age when you can start employment in Oklahoma)


"It's hard to go to court without an actual land claim. Haven't you thought that far?"

again; you lack knowledge of the situation the case is already in court.

"As folks know, I have no issues with disagreement, directness or individuals (erroneously, in this case) reporting that I am wrong."

apparently you do or you would not have felt the need to attack me on such a personal level.

"I just expect a better argument."
well I might expect you to know something about the reality of the situation prior to making your bold statements either as an "educated" person or simply as someone who lives nearby.

oh in response to you statement about me taking 5 years to graduate from a 4 year institution, not only is it quite common to take that long; but I had serious family and personal issues arise mid way through, which resulted in my flunking a semester and withdrawing a second. I am proud to say however that despite this I graduated with above a 3.0 gpa, not that it is any of your business.
I am not some "haskellized" ndn without the ability to grasp my surroundings. I am an educated individual, who knows how to analyze my surroundings, I have studied journalism, business, american indian studies and done environmental research. I am not trying to toot my own horn so to speak I am demonstrating the fact that my education is varied and not some narrow uneducated piece of crap that you have tried to imply that it is.
Thank you for perspective, in as much as your lack of knowledge in the situation grants you
please have a nice day.


***EDIT***
it even states this in the article.
"The Kansas Department of Transportation, which is in charge of this highway project, asserts that drivers currently must travel through the streets of Lawrence in order to access Interstate 70 from Highway 10. This slows down traffic, increases the possibility of accidents, and increases air pollution in the city. KDOT’s plan to build the SLT through the wetlands, instead of using an alternate route south of the Wakarusa River that borders the wetlands, is detrimental to the health of the wetlands and the history that they hold. Pending resolution, KDOT cannot begin any construction on the road, but Governor Brownback has pledged $192 million in support of the project."

Last edited by HaskellAlum; 08-01-2011 at 10:37 PM..
HaskellAlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Larryville
Posts: 40
Credits: 588.45
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsalt View Post
In my humble opinion(which means nothing), a major problem is.....
That tribal schools and colleges do not have many, if any voices such as yours or even David Yeagley types.
Everything must have balance. There certainly are enough people teaching the victim role and the whats in it for me role.
However, you cannot blame the kids for trying to grasp what they can. Even if "its not owned by them". Some will learn things that they will use later in life, when they get our age. And at that time, the issues will be more appropriately chosen.
I hope that makes sense, i keep getting interupted try to write this.
That's what I get for logging into pwws.com when I'm supposed to be working.
No tribal colleges do not teach you to be a victim. nor anything so related; as they in fact exist for the opposite. The are designed to educate and in so doing empower natives who otherwise may not have been able to be so empowered.
Your statement clearly indicates that you lack knowledge and have not done any research to determine the "voices" which are present in tribal colleges.
Also I have never been taught nor have I ever heard of anyone being taught "whats in it for me"...
I have been taught that it is honorable to help others and if possible to serve your people; is that perhaps what you are referring to?
HaskellAlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Do you see what I mean by "Haskellized?" (sigh)

Someone, accurately, ripping your argument to shreds is NOT a personal attack: it's the debunking of an erroneous argument.

I mean, you can continue to kick up ineffectual red herrings by trying to deflect reality but the truth is this:

1. YOU, as stated, have no land claim.
2. "In court" was applicable to YOU, which isn't stopping anything.
3. Nobody implied direct city funding, just that they'd build a highway when $$$/priority was available.
4. When decisionmakers want there to be a highway, there's going to be a highway.

I know EXACTLY what you are, beyond being an individual who is not intelligent enough to quote on a web board, and calling your argument "psuedo" was being kind in trying to credit you with actually having one.

Clearly, you ARE overtly romantic, unable to view a strategic picture, endeavor to validate your views via entitlement, and your entire diatribe (which seems grossly brainwashed) reeks of "poor me." (I wonder where THAT came from?)

Know you from Adam? I do, because I can read. (Or, you just do not express yourself well in print. Where were you educated, again?) It is glaringly obvious that what you are is an ineffectual whiner who desires martyrdom on someone else's hill. Do you want Baker University to PAY you for the slight of believing they can do as they desire with THEIR property?

Did you get a DEGREE in journalism, business or environmental research? Let me guess, you possess a BA in Native Studies? (sigh) It used to be on par with a degree in Basket Weaving, but basket weaving is now firmly entrenched as superior in that it actually produces a PRODUCT.

Query: If you're not fighting "The Man," who precisely are you fighting? Natives who bother to rationally think? Plus, yuppies ARE The Man. The term is used by the counterculture who is afraid, isolationist, short-sighted and possess not the cajones to actually thrive in modern society. (I just, it appears correctly, assumed that was you.)

The $$$ has already been pledged and folks are looking for "resolution." What, exactly, do you think that's going to be? I know! A HIGHWAY. A highway placed anywhere they want it, with negotiation amongst ownership, which ISN'T HASKELL OR YOU.

Understand, I dare (Dare? Is this 3rd grade?) to call you what you obviously are: an embarrassment to Native people who spews a backward agenda -- let me guess, you idolize AIM? -- in a vainglorious attempt to manufacture a standing of import based in victimhood.

SAD. And NOT a personal attack, because it is self-evident.

You're just afraid, I know not of what.

As for what you simplistically believe about tribal colleges (Is SIPI even accredited, anymore? Will Haskell pass, next time?), have you ever attended a non-tribal college? For even a semester? How about just a JUCO that was open enrollment?

Get some perspective.

I've got credits, certificates or degrees from five: including study abroad and/or majority Native.

Does that make me special or a genius?

NO.

Does that imply perspective?

YOU BET.

I reiterate, "UNDERSTAND THIS: Nobody is screwing Indians. Educated folks, making globally necessary choices, using the best data available, in the interest of many thousands of citizens, are determining what to do in reference to city traffic, growth and sustainability. Sum? You're just not that important."

I still report that you are romanticizing actions like Tiananmen Square (Google it if you need depth) -- which was a losing effort -- and your PSEUDO arguments lack logic and bear no strategic vision.

And don't whimper about this being a personal attack. A personal attack would be me reporting what I THINK about you and your arguments, as opposed to merely pointing out the grotesquely obvious fallaciousness of both.

When you've got your Big Boy pants on, feel free to post again.

To quote you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum
please have a nice day
My day has rocked.

How is yours going? Reveled enough in your made up oppression?

The SLT is going to vastly cut down my travel time to the 23rd Street Brewery...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Larryville
Posts: 40
Credits: 588.45
Savings: 0.00
I have not made any declarations about you directly; you have made and continue to make statements directly about me, my character, my education etc.

that is far from different from a critique. (which by the way I have done partnered research work with university of kansas graduate students so just because you have a masters and I do not yet does not mean I don't know what criticism is, you are assuming again)

grow up.

and yes in answer to your question I have gained experience and perspectives outside of tribal colleges through varied avenues.

Oh and on a side note I am not feeling particularly oppressed today; actually I just got back from a business related trip in North Dakota. I'm about to have good dreams in a few minutes now that I am back in town.
good night, hope all the ridiculous anger you have pent up inside you doesn't give you a hernia.

**EDIT**
if you know lawrence geography you would realize that the slt would not route you near the brewery the existing turnpike would be your best bet; just letting you know
HaskellAlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
What anger?

I laugh in your general direction.

I find it humorous that, when folks have to run off for a dictionary, they imprint their frustration on me.

HILARIOUS.

Business trip in North Dakota? Did it involve prostrating yourself for government scraps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum
I have not made any declarations about you directly; you have made and continue to make statements directly about me, my character, my education etc.
Where else would your (erroneous) opinion come from? And don't pull out any esoteric spiritual mumbo jumbo based on a swamp near Lawrence...

As for declarations, did you not just -- incorrectly -- refer to me as "angry?"

You might know what critique is, you're just not very GOOD at it.

EDIT: As for your weak attempt to make a belated point (above), that all depends upon where you're coming from. Again, debate must not be a primary skill because an undisturbed road just south of 31st would be MUCH faster than slogging through K10's stoplights. (You know, the entire point of a freeway.)

Last edited by Zeke; 08-02-2011 at 02:35 AM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
thotnetwork is infamous around these partsthotnetwork is infamous around these partsthotnetwork is infamous around these partsthotnetwork is infamous around these partsthotnetwork is infamous around these partsthotnetwork is infamous around these parts
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Don't feed the trolls...

There will never be an SLT built through the Haskell-Baker wetlands.
thotnetwork is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #15
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotnetwork View Post
There will never be an SLT built through the Haskell-Baker wetlands.
Apparently, you fail to grasp the inherent fallacy in the word "never."
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond reputeHaskellAlum has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Larryville
Posts: 40
Credits: 588.45
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Apparently, you fail to grasp the inherent fallacy in the word "never."
First I would like to say good morning! hope you slept well, because I slept great!

Secondly I will say this: Apparently, you are a phallus.

I am growing tired of the piteous epistemology of someone who believes themselves to be sophisticated. Katt Williams, perhaps the greatest sophist of our time has poignantly described a subset of "humans" who suffer a most dreadful fate.
These people are marked by a very specific character, "they hate what you look like, whacha wearing, whacha drivin, whacha think about, whacha talk about...they f***in hate it."
Why does someone spew venom with no apparent purpose other than a twisted sense of pleasure?
Does the portrayal of, to use your word "pseudo" knowledge of a subject which you in fact know nothing about grant you pleasure?

Does their way of knowing stem from their environment? Is because life in a split-level beige house, reaffirms the monotony of the Midwest?

Does being surrounded by highway lead to a love for that which is constructed?
Is it because it's easy to feel powerful in an artificial space such as the internet, where a mastery of emoticons gives one a false sense of personality?
Perhaps, there is no connection to anything greater than oneself, a sense that the individual is superior to all. Perhaps when this type of person, whom Katt Williams calls a "hater," once looked to the sky to see God, only to see the constant vapor-trails of airplanes landing at MCI...
The hater is a jaded and lost individual, painfully self-aware of their plight..
Their only escape is to belittle others, to bully with wit which could be used proactively. So why does the hater hate? Well, it's simple, "they hate cause good s**t never happened to them."

You are what's known as a hater.

I pity you. You are trying so hard to sound intelligent, yet the reality is you are you demonstrating your ignorance.
When I said have a nice day it is because I would hope you might be able to gain some enjoyment from your surroundings throughout the day.
Again I say please have a nice day; enjoy the world around, because you will not receive any more concupiscent pleasure from me. I am not going to waste my day responding to your negativity. I will however pray for you.
I hope you can achieve happiness and what you desire in life.

Last edited by wyo_rose; 08-04-2011 at 02:07 PM..
HaskellAlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskellAlum View Post
I am growing tired of the piteous epistemology of someone who believes themselves to be sophisticated.
Then I recommend you NOT look in a mirror: if you already find such tiresome.

You're just mad because you don't have an argument.

That's the Haskellized response of someone who is so involved in a masturbatory intellectual cause that they've failed to actually think.

It's not my fault that your ongoing worshiped victimhood has been laid bare or that the Real World intrudes upon your self flagellation "poor me" fantasies. Or that you've regressed to the point that you believe (incorrectly, following your obvious tendency) acknowledgment of simple truth implies anger.

1. When the SLT becomes a true priority, it will be built.
2. There's not a darn thing you can do about it.

Anger? "No." Just how it is.

As for quoting Katt Williams, is that before or after he was busted for theft? I mean, his sophism and specious arguments (i.e., "pseudo") in no way approach yours for ridiculousness but at least he knows what he is. (As unpleasant as you may find it, perhaps you SHOULD look in the mirror.)

I do find your use of the world "bully" to be humorous.

Why?

Because you wouldn't FEEL bullied if you had an argument. Any issue here is only determined by your lack of intellectual prowess, grasp of reality, ongoing victimhood nature, and inability to perceive that the more you type the more glaring your weakness becomes.

As for pleasure in my life, at least with THIS espresso, it has come from reading your ridiculous, fearful, "take my ball and go home because I am getting my posterior kicked," diatribe that you've taken to left field in an attempt to move dialogue away from the fact that you got SPANKED related to the original topic. (My next pleasurable espresso will likely involve wondering how many times you typed "concupiscent" into Google before you got close enough that it would finish the spelling for you...)

I do think it's awesome that you found it necessary to conduct some research and address me using that ridiculous Eddie Haskell (pun intended) obsequious manner of masculine title. It would seem that being beat about the head and shoulders by your own stunted appendage of an argument has left you trying to psychologically distance yourself -- beyond the running away -- from further scrutiny.

I guess you DIDN'T put on your Big Boy pants.

Truth isn't hate.

Not acknowledging it is fear, the sort of fear where someone might try to deflect it by saying "I am not going to waste my day responding to your negativity..."

TYPICAL.

Last edited by Zeke; 08-02-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
I pull your leg out!
 
Toolbox's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melmac
Posts: 6,020
Credits: 93,142.19
Savings: 0.00
Zeke, I'm going to pull some strings and get you a daily show on CNN.
__________________
CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...


Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
that's not my name
 
CandaePrincess's Avatar
 
Items PresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: where it's at
Posts: 11,950
Credits: 40,592.84
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Zeke, I'm going to pull some strings and get you a daily show on CNN.
it would be pulled the next day b/c he would offend someone. *L* ha ha
__________________



Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......


CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Self-Righteous Injun
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 2,447
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox
Zeke, I'm going to pull some strings and get you a daily show on CNN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaePrincess
it would be pulled the next day b/c he would offend someone. *L* ha ha
I can't argue with either of you.

That said:

1. I have a face for radio.
2. There's already one too many Rush Limbaughs.

I've been around here for a while and most folks would report that I am not difficult to deal with but any argument based upon a University that didn't have an on campus President for nearly two years then tries to sell itself -- and its graduates -- as well rounded leaders and/or unbiased visionary thinkers is a pretty tough sell.

Are there Haskell graduates whom I respect? SURE! (One of the dorms is even named in honour of my late maternal grandmother.) But I don't respect them because they did but, rather, who they are before and after attending.

Nor am I adverse to tilting at oppressive windmills. (I think anyone who has read my posts can see that.) But they need to be the right windmills with courage enough to identify if the oppression comes from within.

As I indicated, I APPLAUD passion.

But don't you think Haskell (and/or its students) would be better served by applying this sort of focus on things like retention, facilities, programs, academic accreditation, Mission, Vision and etceteras as opposed to 500 acres of unimproved marshland that they don't even own?

Depending upon how you factor an Associate Degree, Haskell's graduation rate is either 9% or 26%.

Naively focusing on the land issue -- where folks like HaskellAlum clearly overestimate their influence -- is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Worse, "Haskellization" has caused folks like him to blame the iceberg and not who is driving the ship: who can be found in their collective mirror.

Perhaps it's best if the whole thing sinks?

Those who truly desire to swim will still swim, all you'll lose are the eighth year college juniors who enjoy being housed and fed for ~$250 every four months while being indoctrinated into an internal culture that values fighting a mythical land grab over ongoing scholastic success.

What is sad is that I'm NOT making this up, it's self-evident.

Anyone recall Brenda Councillor? Who got mad because she GRADUATED?

Unbelievable...

Last edited by Zeke; 08-02-2011 at 06:21 PM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Being Indian by J.C. High Eaglec T1hunder Jokes and Humor 1 01-03-2008 01:34 PM
Being Indian Is....... southernx_hunnie08 Jokes and Humor 3 12-09-2006 12:15 AM
Lester: Indian rights of way and echoes of the 19th century Blackbear Native Issues 0 04-02-2006 05:27 AM
Deloria: Accountability and Sovereignty in American Indian Education Blackbear Native Issues 0 07-29-2005 09:27 PM
history .. native american power movement Blackbear Native Issues 0 08-18-2004 05:39 AM

    

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Join PowWows.com Today!

Your Guide to Native American Pow Wows Since 1996

Register For Free

Enjoy the benefits of being a member of PowWows.com!

Join our Native American online community focused on Pow Wow singing, dancing, crafts, Native American music, Native American videos, and more.

Add your Pow Wow to our Calendar

Share your photos and videos

Play games, enter contests, and much more!






New Threads

Pow Wow Calendar Search

 
Month: Year:

Location:
Facebook Profile Images

Videos

Featured Articles

Dance Styles

Crafts

Gallery