Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Haskell To Raise Fees to $700 Haskell To Raise Fees to $700

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
samaurai5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Haskell To Raise Fees to $700

To All Readers,
Just wanted to give a heads up to the Native Community at large about what is going on here at Haskell. The Board of Regents has decided to raise the fees for the students here at haskell beginning next semester. There are many students that oppose this fee increase because they do not recieve outside funding to go to school here. The students against the fee increase have had several meetings about this. The first meeting was held last may as students were in finals week and after some of the students had left the school. The board and a few staff members voted on the increase and there were not many students at the forum and even fewer that knew that the meeting took place. Last wenesday, a few students met with the student dean, Mrs. Gillis and reviewed the increase plans. She was not prepared with any financial reports to back up her own claims that Haskell is operating "In the red" and also indicated that the end of the fiscal year is at the end of this month. Each year, Haskell recieves 8 million dollars from the government in appropriated funds, this means starting in October, Haskell will recieve 8 Million more dollars. The fee increase will still be enforced. The students that now oppose the increase have yet to meet with the board and are organizing to oppose this increase by many means. Mrs. Gillis was not willing to share current financial standings with the students that attended a meeting yesturday and left early after claiming that she was, "Here for the students". Here at Haskell, not all of the students are able to pay much more than the current cost and the money that the increase will generate will be going towards student services and not academic programs. We need outside support and we need the voices of alumni and family of alumni to make their presence known.
samaurai5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
As hard as this increase may be to swallow; you are still getting quite a deal for your college education dollars. And, while many students may not at present have outside sources for funding there are numerous financial aid options for college students, even students going to Haskell. You just have to make the effort to find them. A good start is the internet where there were a numberof Native scholarships available last time I checked. Non-academic services are becoming increasingly necessary at colleges and they do provide a benefit (counseling and student health centers). It all costs bucks. Welcometo the real world.
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2004, 03:43 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

The students at Haskell are not recieving the "Deal" that you may think we are. Native American people are suffering from an epidemic of diabetes right now and most of the food served here is inadequate on many levels, such as no fresh fruits and vegetables. There was a plan to serve healthier meals and it was affordable but the people who run the cafateria decided against it. There are several buildings that are falling apart, have serious mold problems and have not been maintained. Our library is out of date by at least 10 years. The financial aid office is rarely on time with taking care of student applications and processes to help students recieve funding for school. Not everyone that applies for pell grants and scholarships are qualified and that, coupled with the financial aid offices' apathy, means that we miss out. There is also the issue about the federal governments trust responsibility to make sure that this school stays affordable for native students and the treaty that establishes this is not being honored. There has been mismanagement of funds and to think that sending more money into an office that embezzles is not a wise decision. If the school does raise the fee and the government thinks that our school is self sufficient then they will pull ALL funding out of our school. Perhaps people can choose to sit on their hands and do nothing for their communities and accept the way that things are but I am not one of those people. The people that make changes in the world and make it a better place are the one's that speak out for WHAT IS RIGHT. The government has an obligation, as well as the staff and administration, to keep up their side of the treaty that was originally drafted. Students in the old days of the boarding school here died at the hands of the administrators and their lack of sympathy and compassion for native people. And we are still being subjegated, just in different ways, and it is time for THAT to change.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
I went to Haskell...and I remember everyone freaking out b/c they weren't getting their monies on time. I didn't qualify for pell or anything so I was just awarded the cost of schooling and any extra money I went to work for. The buildings there are terrible. I never understood why they would rennovate the dorms and build a brand new dorm when so much work was needed in the Library, math building, Taminnen (sp?) Hall and other buildings that were totally infested with mold. The books were soooo old as well. It is a great way to get an education, but I agree, from going to "numerous" colleges...Haskell was by far the worst in upkeep. Which is sad b/c although 8 million isn't much; at least one building could've been repaired every year.

I guess what it really boils down to is, there are sooo many native kids out there that NEVER would get higher education if it wasn't for Haskell. Either they don't have the grades, have no one to help them with federal student loans, or just have a hard time making ends meet. They've been taking care of their brothers or sisters since they were old enough, they've been taking care of their entire family, and this is their one chance to afford to do something for themselves. Yes it is the real world...but how ****ty is it when there's NO ONE to give you some kind of hope? $700 may not seem alot to some...but to the rest of us...it's a damn lot of money. I paid $5000 a semester to go to OSU and that was AFTER scholarships and stuff. So when institutes such as Haskell come along to provide to students...I think it's great. But when they use the money to their advantage and no one elses'....that's when it becomes a problem.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Any university receiving public funding is required by law to provide financial documents and reports for public scrutiny. There has to be a Board of Trustees--you men tion a Board of Regents. Don't ***** foot around with the head of Student Affairs! Go directly to the President, camp out a a Board of Regents meeting or where Board members live if they are local. I spent eight years in administration with the California State University System and know there are answers! I also know that they don't always cater to the demands of students when they protest. I do sympathize. You say yourself that monies are apparently allocated to student services, not academics. You need to keep demanding accountability. If Elouise Cobell can knock the Feds to their knees over our Trust Funds, you guys can get something going at Haskell. I'm going to poke around and see what I can come up with; but I have to say that every tribal college I've visited is in substandard buildings, has accountability issues. DQ University up the road from me, the only tribal college in CA is a mess, as well. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. But we have to take some responsibility for the mess because we allowed generations of our youth to be educated there at Haskell and other tribal colleges in deplorable conditions. We can only be victims if we allow ourselves to be.
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
Old 09-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of Seattle
As hard as this increase may be to swallow; you are still getting quite a deal for your college education dollars. And, while many students may not at present have outside sources for funding there are numerous financial aid options for college students, even students going to Haskell. You just have to make the effort to find them. A good start is the internet where there were a numberof Native scholarships available last time I checked. Non-academic services are becoming increasingly necessary at colleges and they do provide a benefit (counseling and student health centers). It all costs bucks. Welcometo the real world.
Co-sign.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Breeze
Co-sign.
Me? With my credit? Hah! How about you, KB, you're the one who won oodles out on the college football poll! You're "Da Donald" of Powwows.com!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

I just wanted to thank you guys for reading this and showing an interest. I wanted to generate a buzz about what is going on with the students here. We are planning on doing some protest type things and we need the support of outside people as well. Any kind of contacts or references for people that can help us get some media coverage and support would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make it better for the my fellow students and for future students that come to haskell. There is no reason for this to be happening and the excuse that "It happens everywhere else" is not going to cut the mustard. We are planning on paying Dr. Swisher a visit in order to get financial information because it is public record. I just wanted you all to spread the word about what is going on at this time.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

Buckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

I went and graduated from Haskell.....and my view is you get what you pay for....what type of luxury campus are you expecting when you pay less than $700 a semester now? I know that you can not find a one room effeciency Apartment in Lawrence, Ks for that type of money. (You are getting room and board for roughly 4 months for less than $700 now) show me where you can do better than that. IF you are that worried about the fee increase, get a part time job. I worked 40 hours a week (nightshift, mind you) and went to school at Haskell fulltime and graduated with honors. I also went directly to grad school and completed my with Master's. If you are really dedicated to getting your education anything is possible when you are willing to work your hardest.

I am sure Dr. Swisher is a very hard working woman with Haskells students (and future students) best interested in mind. The money that is issued by the federal gov't toward Haskell has been cut and cut over the years so they are working on a tight budget as it is, I am sure that the board of regents also are trying their best for the future of Haskell. They would not be sitting on a Board for something that they do not believe in, most are alumni or had children attend Haskell. They are trying their best.

cha-ching my 2 cents
Old 09-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,853.55
Savings: 1.00
$700? Wow.... if you can't afford that go to SIPI in Albuquerque, NM. Sure, it's outdated, but at least you pay the $200 one time fee and you'll eventually get it back after you graduate or withdraw. Just a suggestion.

But I wish you luck, Sumarai, and what you're trying to achieve at Haskell. Hang in there!!
Old 09-30-2004, 04:41 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

rpotts is an unknown quantity at this point
I too graduated from Haskell and recently went back for a visit - not much had changed - some of the dorms had been remodeled but the academic buildings were basically the same just 10 more years of wear and tear and all the students were walking around with cell phones. I agree with the increase in fees. $700 isn't a lot to ask and most tribes higher education depts. at least contribute a portion of their students tuition fees and expenses or have scholarships, etc. My tribe unfortunatley didn't and I too ended up working while going to school, worked my butt off, earned scholorships and graduated with Higest Honors. I enjoyed my time at Haskell and appreciated the support the instructors and staff gave to the students - that's not something you find in most universities - most of the time you're just a number and a tuition payment. The staff of Haskell really want the students to succeed and they go out of their way to do whatever they can to make sure that happens. The instructors are dedicated professionals, many of whom could teach anywhere in the country for much more money than they are making working at Haskell but choose to stay there to hopefully make a difference for the future of Indian Country. College is what you make of it. I agree $700 is a lot of money to some people - hell it is to me and my family - but when it comes to the price of education today, it's still a great bargain.
rpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #12
old school fool

Items Change User Title
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 748.00
Exclamation Hold Up Wait A Minute

Let me put some pimpin in it!!!

DID YA KNOW

that Haskell took out all the toilet paper in the dorms and advise students to buy their own yet when the dorms went under inspection somehow, almost mysteriously

all the stalls had T.P?!?!

The last time I ate at Curtis hall, I was given mashed potatos with two links of sausage, a biscuit and that was IT! See now my mom has Diabetes and I am at risk, What was I supposed to eat on that plate that was nutritious to an at risk woman of Diabetes?

On top of that, I know some students were getting sick (sinus infections) in powhatan because of the Mold growing in the walls, The plumbing was off and on, alot of the buildings are falling apart and the food really is terrible.

If people are saying "Thats what you pay for" and that the board is handling the funds as best as they can, then why are they so freaked out when we ask them to provide us with facts on where the money is going to? Why cant they tell us where the funds from the increase will go to?

This could get really ugly. The attention to this matter is increasing and students are demanding some facts. We are simply asking for information that is supposed to be available to us, but if we keep gettin shooed, you can bet, something will go down.

I dont have tribal money, My parents shouldnt have to pay for me, and mind you I am an able bodied native. I want to know how these funds are being handled RIGHT NOW and in the past five years, and what has happened for the demand of the increase in tuition. Its my money and its my right to know. Especially if I'm living here, Especially if its my money.
RainyDaze49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #13
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Passion49
......I dont have tribal money, My parents shouldnt have to pay for me, and mind you I am an able bodied native. I want to know how these funds are being handled RIGHT NOW and in the past five years, and what has happened for the demand of the increase in tuition. Its my money and its my right to know. Especially if I'm living here, Especially if its my money.
My advice to any investor of any commodity: if you are unhappy with how YOUR investment is being used you are free to take your investment elsewhere, get a job so that you can invest more in a better commodity or get involved and improve the commodity so that everyone benefits.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 PM   #14
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Quote:
Me? With my credit? Hah! How about you, KB, you're the one who won oodles out on the college football poll! You're "Da Donald" of Powwows.com!
I think you misinterpreted my response. I was supporting your post. As far as being "Da Donald" of Powwows.com, I guess you could say that... except I'm not filing for bankruptcy anytime soon. :D As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about investing some of my powwow points again this weekend. Would you like some of my winnings?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
old school fool

Items Change User Title
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 748.00
Quote:
My advice to any investor of any commodity: if you are unhappy with how YOUR investment is being used you are free to take your investment elsewhere, get a job so that you can invest more in a better commodity or get involved and improve the commodity so that everyone benefits.
Make me......Aaaaaayyye!

Commodz huh?!?! =D You know anything after this is just plain smart ***.

Well the only way to improve this "commodity" is to FIND OUT WHERE THE FAULTS ARE SO THAT THEY CAN BE CORRECTED!!! Ya get me yet?
RainyDaze49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #16
Senior Dancer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Breeze
I think you misinterpreted my response. I was supporting your post. As far as being "Da Donald" of Powwows.com, I guess you could say that... except I'm not filing for bankruptcy anytime soon. :D As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about investing some of my powwow points again this weekend. Would you like some of my winnings?
Join the club! I think I'm misinterpreting ALL the men in my life this week! Anyway, lay some of the winnings on me, you might get lucky in ways you can't imagine/jks ...then, again, I've made the offer before and I'm still....waiting.... Hah! You're so funny! :rofl2:
Old 10-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Just a quick update to those who are following this thread. The people that I am organizing with is a group of students that are not associating themselves with any school organizations. Today we got a copy of the budget and the minutes from last semester when these decisions were being made. As far as fund raising goes, the Board of regents has donated $100.00 to support activities for advocacy for the formula to fund Haskell. Right now the school recieves $8 million a year to fund the school, $7 million goes toward personel and the other one million goes towards students. There are many things that Haskell students can do. One of the main things that I think would help them to have a better understanding is to get a copy of the May 13, 2004 Board of Regents Meeting and take a look at the minutes. I would like to post a link so that you, the readers, can access this over the net but that is in the works. The document itself is about 23 pages long but it is worth reading the intricacies and seeing what is actually going on. YOU WILL FIND SOME CONTRADICTIONS. We are also going to have a petition for students who may not be able to attend the October 7th meeting, their voices must be heard as well. By the way, I do have a job and I work to support myself through school. I do not recieve any outside source of funding for me to be here. Even if I did I would still be for the fee's to stay the same. It already IS ugly but there needs to be change and once the students that go here Now start to speak up, we will be able to better our immediate community.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:54 AM   #18
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Well one thing I will give you all is your determination. Kudos for going to get answers for yourselves and not just letting things happen at will. I admire young people such as yourself and the others that are meeting with you. If all tribal members had such convictions, there wouldn't be all the nasty politics, embezzlement and unethical practices that go on in these tribes. Good luck!

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #19
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaurai5
Just a quick update to those who are following this thread. The people that I am organizing with is a group of students that are not associating themselves with any school organizations. Today we got a copy of the budget and the minutes from last semester when these decisions were being made. As far as fund raising goes, the Board of regents has donated $100.00 to support activities for advocacy for the formula to fund Haskell. Right now the school recieves $8 million a year to fund the school, $7 million goes toward personel and the other one million goes towards students. There are many things that Haskell students can do. One of the main things that I think would help them to have a better understanding is to get a copy of the May 13, 2004 Board of Regents Meeting and take a look at the minutes. I would like to post a link so that you, the readers, can access this over the net but that is in the works. The document itself is about 23 pages long but it is worth reading the intricacies and seeing what is actually going on. YOU WILL FIND SOME CONTRADICTIONS. We are also going to have a petition for students who may not be able to attend the October 7th meeting, their voices must be heard as well. By the way, I do have a job and I work to support myself through school. I do not recieve any outside source of funding for me to be here. Even if I did I would still be for the fee's to stay the same. It already IS ugly but there needs to be change and once the students that go here Now start to speak up, we will be able to better our immediate community.
I know personnel costs can be high, but this is ridiculous. Somebody is getting fat off somebody else. I think the salaries and benefits need to be looked into. I mean, how many employees/teachers do they have? U.S. News & World Report magazine just came out with its October 4 issue--front page "The Modern Life of American Indians" check it out. Use their article as a lead-in and write a letter to the Editor and get it published. While the article does touch on disparity between Native and general population so far as living conditions, education etc., right off the bat it takes this stance that American Indians are very optimistic about the future. Tell them how 'optimistic' your future is turning out to be with substandard conditions at a college that wouldn't be tolerated in a mainstream institution. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:27 AM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Update

Many things are transpiring. So far we have started a petition that is going around campus as I write, we have also contacted as many Native newsletters as possible and I also sent the same letter to the host of Native America calling. HOPEFULLY something will come from all this generated buzz. I know that most people here on campus are talking to me about this fee increase and there are people that are getting involved on many different levels, which is good to see. I think that when natives pull together things can get done. If there is anyone out there with contact information for people that support native causes or if there are students that are reading this PLEASE SUPPORT US. Even if you don't agree with our stance at least support those of us that are trying to get the admin. to run honestly. This increase is not going to just effect us, it will effect EVERY student that is planning on going to Haskell in the future. I think that there has been some great input so far and I am hoping that we can get more, so keep those suggestions coming...fight the power.
Sponsored Links