Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Hey Pillllllgrim, Thanks Giving? Hey Pillllllgrim, Thanks Giving?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Hey Pillllllgrim, Thanks Giving?

So, just wanted to make a catchy thread title. Many people are probably at home today playing on the darned computer. So here's my question? Does this holiday leave a nasty or vile taste in your mouth? Or... does this holiday inspire your family to dress up in pilgrim costumes, go over to the neighbors house and participate in an annual play with the rest of the block?
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Lightbulb Up North.....

Its just another Thursday.....

Although down south why not....

Visit relatives and friends....

Enjoy the time off from work.....

Enjoy making time and a half or double time if you are working.....

Chow down....

Chow down some more.....

Powwow....?

Just lay around and watch TV.....

Slap a Pilgrim......
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
I'm for the slapping of a pilgrim, but wish I were closer to home(Oregon) and at a powwow:)
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

DWalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I used to get up at dawn; make the stuffing, cook the huge bird, and all that goes with that for my 7 kids and hubby. This year, I moved back to the rez, and had dinner with my sister. My oldest daughter has her 2 sisters and her family at her house. My oldest son and his family has his brother with him and I have one son deployed to the gulf and one son staying at his college town. I watched the Macy's parade while I fixed dinner and dessert. It's now quiet and peaceful. Can't wait to see what my first Christmas here will be like with the snow and all. At least I won't be up until dawn, wrapping presents or trying to put toys together that are missing parts and/or batteries! Ah, the memories.... Hope you had a good day. Walker Clan Mother Klamath county, OR
DWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

Sounds like a good day anyhow. I don't like turkey, but I cooked one for the hubby anyhow. My teenage daughter made a delicious sweet potato dish, the best I've ever tasted. I'm not big on the holiday, but I'am big on my family, prayer and of course the home cooked food. I attended grade-middle-high school with a Teena Walker, related?
Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
This holiday has always been a gathering holiday for my family
We gather together and cook a good meal and just hang out

This year after the turkey was laid to rest
LOL
We drove to the Theater down the street and watched 4 Christmases and laughed out Loud!!!

Its a 4 day weekend and time to rest and get ready for the rest of the year

Its a time to gather those that dont live near to reaffirm that they too are part of the family. Afterall Family is the most important thing who else accepts you just the way you are...
Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

ndnalways is an unknown quantity at this point
slap a pilrim

I am all for slappin the pilgrim, then eatin some good food!!
Cold and wet here in Oregon
ndnalways is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Cheropache Gypsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Down South

I got up early to meet the sun, do some yoga, smoke a bowl, have some coffee before the banshees woke up. I don't celebrate the holiday, I thinks it must be some sort of blasphemy to the ancestors(even though some are celtic). But the hubby's family is big on gathering, cooking, laughing and drinking on Thanksgiving, so I say what the hell. I'll cook a little treat and run over to the sis in law's eat till I pop, sneak out for a beer and a smoke. Nothing wrong with gathering to give thanks for the ones we love, trade insults etc. But ya, I would still slap a pilgrim if I could. This is the first Thanksgiving in ten year that I haven't worked through, so I guess I should be thankful I got to eat some good food instead.
Cheropache Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Thanksgiving is a good excuse to get together with family and friends, and visit while having some good food.

I don't care much for turkey either. So we put a lamb roast on the grill this year.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

I get my choice for Christmas; my favorites are either Salmon or Ham from Safeway. My hubby had such terrible gas last night, I just about suffocated and barfed, had to be the turkey.... I told him, he has no shame, he might have a difficult time finding his second wife, and he was getting a ****plug for xmas this year! To which he giggled very quietly.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 AM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
We spent half the day cooking and waiting for our descendants of irish immigrants friends to come over and eat with us.. ROFLMAO!!! Can't stand thanksgiving day unless there are a ton of kids running around and playing games.... I grew up in two big families on either side so even though my kids have no real first cousins at the moment, the extended family cousins were here.

But here it's about the bird... all of us love turkey and my hubby takes the time to special brine it and season it for baking so that 4 days later that breast meat is still juicy and falling apart at the touch! I'm a good cook but DANG that man of mine can put me to shame! Pumkin, apple and chocolate cream pie.... stuffing from scratch, sweet potatoes with pecans and marshmallows, artichoke dip, fresh rolls, REAL green bean cassarole made with cream and fresh mushrooms and home made shallot onion crunchies..... I made the mashed potatoes and I'm proud of my contribution ROFLMAO!!! Our friends brought the ratatouille cause she makes a really good one!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
We had lamb too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post
Thanksgiving is a good excuse to get together with family and friends, and visit while having some good food.

I don't care much for turkey either. So we put a lamb roast on the grill this year.

We had a leg of lamb from the herd on the family farm. My mother adopted one of the lambs with a deformed hoof. His name is George because he is curious. You can't eat them once you've named them. Anyway, George played in the yard with the kids like a puppy. He doesn't know he is a lamb or that we ate his cousin for Thanksgiving.
yellowthunders mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
SoCal Yaqui

NSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond repute
NSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,748.77
My family called it "Happy thanks to the indians I survived day"!!!

The only thing I like about it is I get work off for 4 days and get to cook and spend time with friends and family...so I guess that is always a good thing
NSoto is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

Cheropache Gypsy is an unknown quantity at this point
George should be grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthunders mama View Post
We had a leg of lamb from the herd on the family farm. My mother adopted one of the lambs with a deformed hoof. His name is George because he is curious. You can't eat them once you've named them. Anyway, George played in the yard with the kids like a puppy. He doesn't know he is a lamb or that we ate his cousin for Thanksgiving.
Well at least the lamb can give thanks too, it was his cousin and not him.
Cheropache Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheropache Gypsy View Post
Well at least the lamb can give thanks too, it was his cousin and not him.
It is kind of ironic that the one thing that would have noramlly meant and early death - a deformed hoof - is what saved him and his cousin who was perfectly normal got eaten.
yellowthunders mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

DWalker is an unknown quantity at this point
What's Next?

Well, WocusWoman; now that turkey day is over what's next on the thread? I think a present list would be nice. I'd like a new buckskin outfit. I've had mine since I was a young girl and after 8 kids, I can still get into it! But, it would be fun to have another one just to have a change. What about you?
WalkerClan Mother
DWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
You mean, "You're Welcome Day"??