Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues A.I.I.Alert #25- Seneca County to enforce local rules on Cayugas' A.I.I.Alert #25- Seneca County to enforce local rules on Cayugas'

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Greywolf

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wepunkwteme will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
A.I.I.Alert #25- Seneca County to enforce local rules on Cayugas'

Please Pass This To All Yahoo, AOL
& MSN Groups.
This Is Just Another Example Of A
Non-Native Government Trying To Force An
Issue of Taxation On A Soveriegn Native Nation!
This All Started Over These Two Counties Attempting To
Force The Soveriegn Native Nations of the Area to pay Taxes
To The Local Governments.
The Letter & Addresses I Sent It To Are Below This Article!

Seneca County to enforce local rules on Cayugas' properties in county.
Thursday, April 14, 2005
By Scott Rapp
Staff writer
Seneca County is following Cayuga County's lead and will challenge the sovereignty of the Cayuga Indian Nation of New York.

"We plan to push the issue. If they don't cooperate with us, we won't cooperate with them," Robert Shipley, chairman of the Seneca County Board of Supervisors, said Wednesday.

Lawmakers there agreed Tuesday night to enforce local regulations on the nation's properties in the county, including testing the Cayugas' gasoline pumps in Seneca Falls for weights and measures accuracy at an undisclosed date.

If the nation resists the county's attempt to inspect the pumps, Shipley said he would send reinforcements. "If we go there and they tell us, 'We don't want you there,' We'll come back with the district attorney and sheriff," he said.

Cayuga County disclosed earlier this week that it is going to test the gas pumps at the nation's LakeSide Trading convenience store and gas station in Union Springs next week.

Dan French, a lawyer representing some of the Cayugas, said he was disappointed in Seneca County's rejection of his proposal, which would have allowed the county limited access to the nation's properties in Seneca Falls. His proposal called for the county to reaffirm the sovereign status of their properties.

"We're reviewing the nation's legal options, and we're still hopeful that Seneca County officials will see the advantages of working cooperatively in this new era of nations seeking trust applications through the United States," French said.

He submitted a similar proposal to Cayuga County, but county Legislature Chairman Herbert Marshall said he had yet to see it.

Both counties are flexing their might following the city of Sherrill's recent Supreme Court tax-case victory over the Oneida Indian Nation of New York. The top court ruled last month that the Oneidas must pay property taxes and obey local laws on former ancestral land they recently reacquired in Sherrill.

The Cayugas own a combination convenience store and gas station on Route 89 and operate a high-stakes electronic bingo hall in that business. They also own a boat repair shop and campground and some vacant land.

All of those properties are in Seneca Falls and lie within the Cayuga land-claim area encompassing some 64,000 acres of ancestral land around the north end of Cayuga Lake.

The Cayugas have maintained that they have sovereign, tax-free status on any properties in the disputed territory, but the Sherrill case seems to undermine their claim to sovereignty.

"The holding of Sherrill, by our interpretation, is that there is no more sovereignty unless they put (their land) in trust," said Seneca County Attorney Steven Getman. Cayuga County shares that opinion, officials there have said.

Clint Halftown, the nation's federally recognized leader, did not return a telephone message. But French said the Cayugas are considering applying to put their properties in trust with the federal Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Gaining that designation would make their real estate holdings permanently sovereign and tax-free. The application process takes 90 days or longer and allows for public comment.

In the interim, both counties intend to enforce their rules on the nation's properties, including foreclosing on any tax-delinquent properties.

"The board (of supervisors) is of the opinion that since the land is not in trust with the BIA and given the holding in Sherrill, the principles of equality demand that the nation's Seneca Falls businesses be treated like any other businesses," Getman said.

2005 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

Dear Representative,
Haven't the Cayuga & Seneca Native Peoples of New York State, Seneca County and Cayuga County suffered enough from the Government of the Un-invited Guests to this now called United States?
Now because these Nations won't do what you want, when you want it, you will put pressure on those same Native Peoples?
I must say that I'm Not Surprised.
After All, We wouldn't Want All the Indians in New York to Think That A Greedy Racist Local Government Could Be Fair.
That Would Be Too Much Like Right.
Until you and your Fascist local Government Give Up on Forcing My Native Brothers & Sisters into Obeying your Every Whim to Usurp Their Sovereignty or Governing of Their Own Ancestral Lands.
I will Tell Everyone I Do and Do Not Know that Seneca Falls, Seneca and Cayuga Counties in New York are Not the Place to go on Vacation or Business Junkets. That In Fact, They are Better Off Spending their Tourist Dollars Elsewhere Instead of in a Community with such Reprehensible Behavior Towards the Native American Community.
As They are Racist and Un-Fair to Those who are of Native Decent.
Sincerely,
Thomas Greywolf Atkins
Chickahominy/Mattaponi/U.S.Citizen

This Letter was sent to the email addy's below,
Just copy & paste them into your address slot.
I put the Government addys in the Bcc... section &
the Media addys in the To... section.
I urge you to do the same. You may feel free to
use my letter and replace my name with your own
if you wish

Government Officials:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] , [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Media:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

What Will You Do For Native Peoples Today?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/American_Indian_Injustice
Wepunkwteme is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepunkwteme

As They are Racist and Un-Fair to Those who are of Native Decent.
Sincerely,
Thomas Greywolf Atkins
Chickahominy/Mattaponi/U.S.Citizen

Hope you spell-checked this before it went out

Quick question - is this trust land they're referring to or non-trust land because that makes all the difference in the world?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
This is land purchased by the Cayuga nation... the Cayugas don't have a reservation but this land that they purchased was supposed to be sovereign and now it's like they've changed their minds. They are doign this crap all over NY.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Ok there's a group called UCE.. upstate citizens for equality. Does'nt sound like a bad name but the truth of it is, they do not see us as soveriegn nations and beleive that all the financial problems the state is having is because of the natives selling tax free cigarettes and gas to non natives, so they want us sovereign nations to collect taxes from non natives FOR them. Kinda like asking Canada to send the US taxes on items bought there by Americans eh? Now, not only have they passed this as a state law, but it's ILLEGAL and we do not answer to state, only federal law as this is written in our treaties but they can't seem to get this through their fat heads.
So now they are upset that many of the six nations have won land claim settlements and this is due to the fact that it has been proven time and again that those lands were STOLEN... you have to remember, the Iroquois are not conquered nations.. we did'nt lose them to war against the whites, they were outright stolen. So now they want property tax on recent land purchases and to not have those lands considered soveriegn and have even told the Onieda nation they waited too long... what nerve huh? OH man I could go on, but I don't have all day...LOL
Old 04-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
This is land purchased by the Cayuga nation... the Cayugas don't have a reservation but this land that they purchased was supposed to be sovereign and now it's like they've changed their minds. They are doign this crap all over NY.
Just because a tribe owns lands doesn't make it sovereign. They must put it into trust or they don't have a leg to stand on which is what seems to be the case here. Why did they not petition to have it put into trust? You say the Cayugas don't have a reservation, but do they have any trust lands at all? If not, they have no jurisdiction over anything and are at the mercy of the state and county governments.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Honey Connoissuer

The land they purchased was supposed to be put in trust... I'm not exactly sure what's going on now with that.... as I understand it, the land they purchased was to be in trust and like I said, it's like they are saying it's not now...
Old 04-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Honey Connoissuer

This message is reprinted under the Fair Use
Doctrine of International Copyright Law:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststa.../1113381681698
11.xml&coll=1

Cayugas' Gas Pumps Face Test Next Week

Emboldened by Supreme Court ruling, Cayuga County plans inspection Tuesday.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

By Scott Rapp
Staff writer

A possible showdown over the issue of sovereignty is brewing between Cayuga
County and the Cayuga Indian Nation of New York.

The county - emboldened by the U.S. Supreme Court's recent Sherrill decision
- says it is going to test the nation's gasoline pumps for weights and
measures accuracy next Tuesday at the Cayugas' LakeSide Trading in Union
Springs.

County Legislature Chairman Herbert Marshall said Tuesday the county is
hoping to skirt a confrontation when it sends Larry Roser, director of weights
and
measures, to inspect the pumps for exactness.

It would be the first time the county has tried to enforce its might on the
Cayugas since they purchased and opened their combination convenience store and
gas station two years ago.

Clint Halftown, the nation's federally recognized leader, said the Cayugas
are conferring with their lawyers to decide how to respond.

To date, the Cayugas have asserted they have sovereign nation rights at the
Route 90 business because it lies within their land-claim area of 64,015 acres
of ancestral land in Cayuga and Seneca counties.

Last month's Sherrill decision has apparently changed that status, county
officials say.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Greywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Hope you spell-checked this before it went out

Quick question - is this trust land they're referring to or non-trust land because that makes all the difference in the world?
Nope, didn't check it.
I wouldn't personally worry about it anyway.
I'm not that anal.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Kili!

Quote:
Nope, didn't check it.
I wouldn't personally worry about it anyway.
I'm not that anal.
At least you spelled fascist correctly

I just thought Native "decent" was funny.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
Greywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
The land they purchased was supposed to be put in trust... I'm not exactly sure what's going on now with that.... as I understand it, the land they purchased was to be in trust and like I said, it's like they are saying it's not now...
Your Right.
From the way I got it,
Three things happened.
First someone dropped the ball in
getting the land put into trust.
Second was that the Local Yocals changed
their mind and went back on their agreement that
the Cayugas' land would be considered soveriegn.
Third is that the Cayugas' trusted them even five minutes
and didn't file for trust right away.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
Greywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
At least you spelled fascist correctly

I just thought Native "decent" was funny.
Actually I didn't even notice til you said somethin.
I wrote it while I was still aggrevated.
I find I reach the point more poignantly while still steamed.
Only problem is, sometimes I forget to spell check.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #12
Kili!

Quote:
Your Right.
From the way I got it,
Three things happened.
First someone dropped the ball in
getting the land put into trust.
Second was that the Local Yocals changed
their mind and went back on their agreement that
the Cayugas' land would be considered soveriegn.
Third is that the Cayugas' trusted them even five minutes
and didn't file for trust right away.
Ok, I guess I don't understand this at all. Why would the Cayugas even include the state or the "local yocals" in their negotiations to have land put into trust. This is a federal thing, and neither the county nor the state are involved in it at all. Maybe their problem was getting those two governments involved as opposed to just the federal. Seems to me that the Cayugas have a lack of good legal advice and direction and really brought this on themselves as a result.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
Notoriou'sly'

La + * Mom is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 180.00
It's All Messed Up!

It is actually the federal courts that are awarding us Iroquois these land claims... (past trangressions and such) which generally contain monetary awards, however, also awards acreage...but, don't know what's happening there...looks like they are not being put in either 'trust' or restricted fee status thus, this mess. That Oneida situation was 'iffy' to begin with..as the real property they were buying up was outside of their original land claim awards and the recent US Supreme Court decision sucks for future Iroquois land claims...but the Cayugas, unfortunately, now have to run the gauntlet because of that decision. We here at Seneca, fortunately, have our 1991 Salamanca Settlement Act for the city which will allow us to purchase lands within our aboriginal territory and place it into restricted status... we'll see...
Old 04-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Greywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohontsia
It is actually the federal courts that are awarding us Iroquois these land claims... (past trangressions and such) which generally contain monetary awards, however, also awards acreage...but, don't know what's happening there...looks like they are not being put in either 'trust' or restricted fee status thus, this mess. That Oneida situation was 'iffy' to begin with..as the real property they were buying up was outside of their original land claim awards and the recent US Supreme Court decision sucks for future Iroquois land claims...but the Cayugas, unfortunately, now have to run the gauntlet because of that decision. We here at Seneca, fortunately, have our 1991 Salamanca Settlement Act for the city which will allow us to purchase lands within our aboriginal territory and place it into restricted status... we'll see...
I got a solution to all this bull****!
A New Ammendment To The U.S.Constitution
That States: Any American Indian, Tribe, Nation or Organization
that is Federally Recognized Will not pay ANY TYPE
OF PROPERTY OR INCOME TAX IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #15
Honey Connoissuer

yeah that's a sweet dream is'nt it?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #16
Kili!

Quote:
I got a solution to all this bull****!
A New Ammendment To The U.S.Constitution
That States: Any American Indian, Tribe, Nation or Organization
that is Federally Recognized Will not pay ANY TYPE
OF PROPERTY OR INCOME TAX IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
Not sure if you're serious about this or not, but I have a feeling you are. If so, you're forgetting that Indian people share dual-citizenship (one with their tribal nation and one with the U.S.). And all citizens of the U.S. pay taxes. It's only fair. I know, I know...look at the past and all, but many groups in this country could claim that as well (blacks, cajuns, Muslims, Asians, etc.).

Secondly, federally recognized tribes do not have to pay state taxes unless they agree to through a compact with that state. That's up to them and their bargaining.

On the Cayugas and other tribal nations from that area - it seems like they really need better legal representation. The days of Indians selling Manhattan for beads should really be over. If they are getting taken for a ride these days, it's their own fault.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:12 AM   #17
Honey Connoissuer

Well according to the most recent article I got, they are now asking the government to put that land in trust. But I'm telling you the state of NY has been trying to take us all for a ride and testing them treaty lines. WE are not supposed to be paying any state taxes on anything we purchase and yet most places won't recognize our cards or that right... but does the federal government step in at all? I think we both know the answer to this one.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
Notoriou'sly'

La + * Mom is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 180.00
I didn't choose to be a U.S. Citizen - they imposed it upon us way before any of us were born!!! LOL!!! but seriously, I was quite disappointed in the U.S. Supreme Court ruling as to the colored justice ruling against us skins...considering how they fought to get the recognition they now enjoy.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #19
Kili!

I understand your point about citizenship. No you didn't choose to be a U.S. citizen, but like it or not, you do enjoy freedoms and rights and services from the U.S. government. I don't know what tribe you are, but I'll bet they do receive a sizeable chunk of chang from the government. Granted, some tribes receive monies based on land or mineral settlements with the federal governments or states, but many receive monies just because they are a federally recognized tribe.

My whole point is that this land issue could have been dealt with better from the tribe's perspective. If this land was put into trust, there would be no issue. They simply need better attorneys and leaders.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #20
Honey Connoissuer

Singerdad.. not trying to sound rude here but you need to read up on our treaties just to see what our "chunks" look like. Sone of money we do recieve goes for road repairs and maintenance.. Look up Jay Treaty and the treaty of Canandagua (man I cannot spell that at all... help me out Ohontsia LOL). Since the Cayuga don't have land in trust, I doubt they receive much federal money for anything.