Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues IACA ReDux IACA ReDux

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #161
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Keely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond reputeKeely has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,234.22
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Perhaps to you, but there are artists on both side of the border and not to mention First Nations councils that are in consultation with each other law, treaty, environmental concerns and self government etc that do care. Do you think pipelines are stopped because some nice men in DC and Ottawa decide to stop it or fishing and hunting rights aren't legally protected because what happens in either country was of no interest to the Ron Sparrows, Puyallups and Winans and all the others who looked south or north and said, we can do the same.

Do you know who stopped Keystone for the moment? BC tribal councils that's who. Not the countless celebrities who circled the White House, but the men and women of BC tribal councils when they collectively said no to granting easement over tribal lands.

Perhaps you should care what happens up here.

It is not that I dont care, I do care, and there is currently actions going on in Canada for a law similar to the IACA in the lower 48. A good friend sent me information, I havent been able to get through it and read it yet.

On facebook, there is a group (actually several) where people are putting their arts and crafts up for sale. A couple of the groups will not allow discussion of the IACA and if you mention it, they ban you. It is not the sales that bother me, it is the non's from Canada who are selling eagle feathers. To me, this is about as horrific as it comes...
Keely is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #162
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely View Post
It is not that I dont care, I do care, and there is currently actions going on in Canada for a law similar to the IACA in the lower 48. A good friend sent me information, I havent been able to get through it and read it yet.

On facebook, there is a group (actually several) where people are putting their arts and crafts up for sale. A couple of the groups will not allow discussion of the IACA and if you mention it, they ban you. It is not the sales that bother me, it is the non's from Canada who are selling eagle feathers. To me, this is about as horrific as it comes...
Again, under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of which Canada is a signatory, it is illegal to sell/possess any feather of a bird that is protected under that law. It is not a question of whether a non is selling/possessing a feather it is a question of anyoneselling a feather.

CANADA WILDLIFE ACT

Possession of wildlife
33 - (2) A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or "a part of any wildlife" in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

Wildlife (defined as)
(a) means raptors, threatened species, endangered species, game and other species of vertebrates prescribed by regulation

Raptor - means a bird of the order Falconiformes known as vultures, eagles, falcons and hawks or the order Strigiformes known as owls, and includes its eggs;

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...88_01#section1

Under both United States and Canadian laws, permits are required from official government conservation authorities to legally possess eagle feathers. Native American Indian groups with bald and golden eagle feathers must use them for traditional ceremonies or teaching purposes only.

Status Indians from Canada who meet certain requirements may legally travel to and from the United States with lawfully possessed, personally owned eagle items for religious and cultural use. This exemption on carrying eagle feathers across borders does not apply to Inuit or Métis.

http://scaa.usask.ca/gallery/northern/content?pg=ex12-2

Don't think for a minute that authorites up here aren't enforcing all those nons that have or are selling feathers.

Now, if you are referring to non-native Canadians who you are aware of selling any feather or part of a bird that is protected, contact the local authorties. Game and Fish officers are quite eager to enforce the law.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #163
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely View Post
...it is the non's from Canada who are selling eagle feathers. To me, this is about as horrific as it comes...
Because you're not making a genetic buck?
  1. Do you always have a protectionist issue with race or nationality?
  2. Or is that just when things don't work to your advantage?

If a feather (or anything else) comes to you, I see it as yours to do with as you please: if you were not supposed to have that choice, it wouldn't have made itself yours.

I've given many to lots of folks.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links